Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I made myself some jjajangmyeon.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Freighter <chuckle> Just as the Italians might want to have a word with Americans about pizza, I'm going to have to have a word with you about eating the correct version of that dish!

Zhajiang Mian 炸酱面
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @Freighter <chuckle> Just as the Italians might want to have a word with Americans about pizza, I'm going to have to have a word with you about eating the correct version of that dish!

Zhajiang Mian 炸酱面
    I prefer our version.

So many dishes that are chinese in origin but I prefer our version of them.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-11-12 at 10:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter
    I prefer our version.
    I've had friends try to convert me by feeding me supposedly good Korean versions from one of Beijing's heavily Korean districts -- Wangjing. I'm sticking up for the Beijing version!
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    I've had friends try to convert me by feeding me supposedly good Korean versions from one of Beijing's heavily Korean districts -- Wangjing. I'm sticking up for the Beijing version!
    What about tangsuyuk? Tried that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter
    What about tangsuyuk? Tried that?
    I'll keep an eye out for it and give it a try, but I'm really finicky about sweet and sour dishes. They're one of the "oh, laowai like to eat X" dishes that waitresses tend to push, another is Gong Bao Ji Ding. About the only time I'll eat it is if I'm with someone from the Northeast who can make sure we're getting proper Guo Bao Rou.

Middle daughter is from Heilongjiang and when she was having a bad day I would take her to The Dongbei Tiger for Guo Bao Rou to cheer her up.