Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    I'm surprised how bitter some people are about it.
    That poster is always like that. Their history kind of shows it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RapBreon View Post
    Scanning files not part of the actual official install? I mean every Vanilla client I installed was a completely separate installation with no access to Blizzard servers enabled. I'm not entirely savvy on this stuff, but that means it has to scan files not part of your current install and that seems...questionable at best.
    You agree to following:
    "In addition, your web browser or client software may transmit certain geographic information or information regarding your computer (capabilities, game data processing, etc.) to Blizzard. Blizzard may use this information to generate aggregate statistics about our user community and may provide such information to advertisers and/or our partners. In addition, Blizzard may use such information for security, system integrity (the prevention of hacking, cheats, etc.), or enforcement purposes."

Notice how it says "information regarding your computer" and using it for "security, system integrity (the prevention of hacking, cheats, etc.), or enforcement purposes"
    Warden scans quite a bit more than just your installation. It scans running processes, window titles and last I looked it scanned your internet browsing history (this was quite a while ago I must admit, I haven't looked at it for a long time).

If you play live + pserver at the same time, they certainly have the capability to detect the modified client and the user consent to run the scan.

But as I said, they're not after pserver players. They've never been. They don't care. They're also not after individuals. They use it to detect botters other commercial cheat programs (commercial being the keyword, they hate when others make money on their product)
    Last edited by mmoce1addbf3e1; 2017-11-12 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    Instead of focusing on evolving the MMO genre by trying to improve WoW and maybe make a sequel, they're hiring grade A talent to work on code from over a decade ago for a game that was in a piss poor state compared to the systems it offers today just so it can serve as a fan service to a couple thousand people who can't admit that WoW hasn't changed at all in terms of gameplay since pre-BC, it's simply received tons more options to do the same things by reducing the pointless downtime and grind required for every single task, turning the game into a literal second job. Not to mention the improved graphics, phasing and other story telling elements. However, the core gameplay is 100% the same.

This is like bringing back Warcraft 1 multiplayer because a couple of retards think that selecting only 6 units at a time and very limited strategies are what the RTS genre is all about.

What a fucking waste. Just leave it open source for those aptly named "nostalrius" fags and put this quality and ambitious talent to pushing the MMO genre FORWARD not fucking backwards.
    dont worry - you will pay for it with all the race changes that people will do for $ instead for free when new sub races will be aviable

then they will put 2-3 more mounts in store and will have neoughdough for TBC and WoLK

and you will like paying for it :P

Deleted
    Instead of focusing on evolving the MMO genre by trying to improve WoW and maybe make a sequel, they're hiring grade A talent to work on code from over a decade ago for a game that was in a piss poor state compared to the systems it offers today just so it can serve as a fan service to a couple thousand people who can't admit that WoW hasn't changed at all in terms of gameplay since pre-BC, it's simply received tons more options to do the same things by reducing the pointless downtime and grind required for every single task, turning the game into a literal second job. Not to mention the improved graphics, phasing and other story telling elements. However, the core gameplay is 100% the same.

This is like bringing back Warcraft 1 multiplayer because a couple of retards think that selecting only 6 units at a time and very limited strategies are what the RTS genre is all about.

What a fucking waste. Just leave it open source for those aptly named "nostalrius" fags and put this quality and ambitious talent to pushing the MMO genre FORWARD not fucking backwards.
    Don't you have anything better to do than go to a forum for a game you don't like and whine? Like, a world quest or some juicy LFR?

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyOcelot View Post
    You agree to following:
    "In addition, your web browser or client software may transmit certain geographic information or information regarding your computer (capabilities, game data processing, etc.) to Blizzard. Blizzard may use this information to generate aggregate statistics about our user community and may provide such information to advertisers and/or our partners. In addition, Blizzard may use such information for security, system integrity (the prevention of hacking, cheats, etc.), or enforcement purposes."

Notice how it says "information regarding your computer" and using it for "security, system integrity (the prevention of hacking, cheats, etc.), or enforcement purposes"
    Warden scans quite a bit more than just your installation. It scans running processes, window titles and last I looked it scanned your internet browsing history (this was quite a while ago I must admit).

If you play live + pserver at the same time, they certainly have the capability to detect the modified client and the user consent to run the scan.

But as I said, they're not after pserver players. They've never been. They don't care.
    Goddamn. It's somewhat vague about the exact details and parameters, but yeah I see your point. Blizzard has a disturbing amount of data on people's fap statistics hahaha.

So run it on a virtual machine then? Haha.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RapBreon View Post
    Goddamn. It's somewhat vague about the exact details and parameters, but yeah I see your point.

So run it on a virtual machine then? Haha.
    You might remember when a whole bunch of Linux wine users got mass banned? That was warden thinking the system didn't look quite normal.
    I mean.. if you're really worried about getting banned.. don't play pservers I guess?

But like I said. They're not interested in banning players. It's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyOcelot View Post
    You might remember when a whole bunch of Linux wine users got mass banned? That was warden thinking the system didn't look quite normal.
    I mean.. if you're really worried about getting banned.. don't play pservers I guess?

But like I said. They're not interested in banning players. It's fine.
    Personally? Even knowing what I know now, I feel the risk is acceptable. As you said, they're not interested in going after customers. I'm just more interested in knowing than anything else. Appreciate the explanation!

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    It is sad to see them reduce the amount of devs working on retail in order to keep a classic server going though.
    I mean, the new expantion pack they just revealed seemed to have about the same amount of features as a normal content patch.
    To be honest, I'm not so sure about it. I imagine that majority of work on an expansion goes into designing zones, quests, encounters and then balancing.
    With vanilla servers there's none of that, as the content is there already, so the human resources responsible for that aren't syphoned from the main team.
    All that vanilla servers require are programmers - to make the old code work again, plus fix some bugs. Yes, there is a risk that vanilla team may require some programmers, who have knowledge of the old code, from the main team, but I imagine it could be 1-2 programmers just to share the knowledge with the rest of them being freshly hired ones. In any case the impact shouldn't be too big.

I also think that Blizzard is well aware that the next expansion is what will bring them real monies and many players, way more than vanilla servers so they don't put a lot of resources on the latter, and surely will not allow the quality of the expansion to suffer because of that.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Lot's of people feel blizzard are degrading the MMO genre nowadays, which is why they all stopped playing.

A sequel isn't what players want, either. they're still incredibly attached to their characters, these people want everyone to be trapped on modern WoW with no alternative as it devalues their characters.

To be honest, the game back then was 5 gigs and it ran incredibly well, much, much better than Modern WoW, modern WoW has an additional 30-something gigs and runs far slower.

it's not a couple thousand, nostralius reached 17k at peak and that's only because the servers could only really handle 17k.

Modern WoW reduces downtime, yes, so did modern runescape, sometimes the frustration of achieving something makes your achievement feel far better. vanilla was a rough diamond plagued with problems, but everything had frustrations, and frustrations made things fun and worthwhile. This is why all vanilla players fight against pay2win and devaluing hard tasks.

The goal of vanilla isn't really a job, it's a world. you need to spend a lot of time, you need to establish yourself, you start with nothing.

I'd argue things like cutscenes and phasing often ruin the feel of zones forever. sometimes you just want to chill in mulgore, not be in a battle between the quilboar and the tauren. The movie-esque action and excitement curves are what vanilla lacks, and that makes it a comfortable chilled out experience with difficulty everywhere, which feels great.

the core gameplay is not the same, you can level to 13 and solo rfc on a level 13 in modern wow in under 10 minutes spamming one key, on vanilla it takes you two days to reach level 13 and then it takes you around 30 minutes with a skilled group to clear rfc with a group of 5 who are all making sure they're prepared and have their bars and skills bought and set up correctly, making sure they have water for mana, making sure they have food for their pets, ammunition for their bows, thinking these two are equal is delusional at best.

it's nothing like warcraft I.

I agree, let's push the genre forwards, let's let modern WoW die and go back to the golden era of WoW and start from there.

Deleted
    But there are new MMOs comming out, silly boy. Don't like WoW? Don't play it. Go play some of the new, evolved mmos that you so desire. hf. I've been playing for many. many years and I think Legion is one of the best expansions we've had so far. Everyone's got their opinion. And I know people who share mine.

Deleted
    Please show me on this doll *gives doll that looks like Tauren paladin* where vanilla player touched you.

You are also wrong about working on old code. No sane developer would do that. Classic will most likely be fork of existing retail WoW with all "modern" crap removed to return it to MMORPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    lul "focusing on evolving the MMO genre", a genre that's been slowly dying despite lots of developers "evolving" it.

Not to mention, a lot of those MMO devs "evolved" the genre much more than the blizz devs ever did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

OP doesn't seems to understand that it's not just about QoL changes and such. It's about the game itself, it's feeling, characters, zones, atmosphere. I despise new post-cata old world. I despise pandas, goblins, worgen, dk's, monks... I don't want any of that shit. I despise what they've done to lore. And HOW they done it. I love original old world because it was huge and full of wonders. I could run for 10 mins in Ashenvale from quest to quest and just soak in the scenery, to wonder what's behind that hill, or on the bottom of that lake. I could find a chest or maybe run into a whorde player. All this "convenient" placement of quests in nice little hubs around the map is bullshit. It's not how it happens in a good game. Nobody gives a shit about your convenience, that's why old world is so alive and realistic. Leveling felt like a real challenge and real achievement, not just like some crap you have to do before you start playing the game for real. Also don't get me started on our character itself... It's being treated like some special snowflake. In post-Cata world we successfully fight other faction, saving entire zone in the process and help huge lore characters defeat other huge lore characters at level 15. And then through entirety of later game, these aforementioned huge lore characters stand in line to suck your dick. To make you feel special. What a load of bullshit. In vanilla at level 15 you're a nobody. Shit, you're pretty much a nobody, just some thug for hire even at lvl60. And at lvl 15 you do what you have to fucking do -- you wearing rugs and fight fucking wolves, bears and bring medicine plants to old ladies. That was real. That was cool. And even though I hated all this running back then, when I played first time, now I realize how much actually important and fun it was to create that immersion. To bond me with my character and world around it.

And I don't even mind if they bring some QoL changes to vanilla, such as dual-spec which I consider a must have. I just want the old world back. And I have absolutely no interest in any "new" shit.
    Last edited by VincentWolf; 2017-11-12 at 11:23 AM.

It is sad to see them reduce the amount of devs working on retail in order to keep a classic server going though.
    I mean, the new expantion pack they just revealed seemed to have about the same amount of features as a normal content patch.
    wouldn't the bfa stuff have been thought about and somewhat worked out by now? Not sure how they're related

The classic announcement seemed like something they just pulled out of their ass 5 seconds before going on stage.. the cinematic was just their cinematics in reverse lol, their interviews are all "we don't know yet" and "we are looking to hire a team to work on it"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalorakk View Post
    holy shit dude your sig is hilarious
    My sig shows the truth.
    Legion is the worst expansion
    BFA=Blizzard Failed Again
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment..._google_trend/

This is on the front page:
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Allen Brack
    No development will be taken away from Battle for Azeroth for Classic. A new team is being hired for this project.

Please at least do some research before trying to spread misinformation.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-big-questions

Are these going to be separate development teams? One working on Battle for Azeroth and one working on WOW Classic?

J. Allen Brack: Yeah, so it was really important for us to be able to answer the community honestly. How many raids is this going to cost them in Battle for Azeroth? The answer is zero. We're going to hire people specifically for this effort. We already are.

Gotta love the anti-legacy community, blind rage at people who like something different. Have you considered buddhism?

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Gotta love the anti-legacy community, blind rage at people who like something different. Have you considered buddhism?
    Hardcore Pro Legacy people who shit on retail like it's their 24 hour job and have those stupid signatures about subs are no better either.

Don't pretend the anti legacy community is worse. Both sides of idiots are just as bad as each other.

Pure zealotry makes the people who just want to play Legacy look bad and dumping on Classic for no reason other than to dump on it makes the retail players look bad.

Thankfully both kinds are in the minority here and should not be viewed as a representation for either community. Notice how I said both before anyone starts going on about how I'm on a specific bandwagon.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-11-12 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Don't pretend the anti legacy community is worse. Both sides of idiots are just as bad as each other.
    I wasn't aware I was doing that. After the announcement I feel like the illegal server community fundamentalists have really shown their colors, so much hate and anger.