Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm looking for as close a copy of the day before the preBC patch hit as they can make. I was only about a month into playing at that point and never got to see any of the end game. Obviously, they wont be able to make a 100% copy and some changes are inevitable. I hope they limit it to fixing the truly broken aspects and not adding things they wish they had or like from newer expansions. But I would like to go back and see the game I started playing 10 years ago again. I can play live for QoL changes.
    You either die a Varian, or live long enough to see yourself become a Thrall...

Quote Originally Posted by tehdef View Post
    I worked for Blizzard from 2005 to 2012.

I can't wait to hear all my friends complaining about how they put so much time into Vanilla and nobody is playing because that version of the game sucked.
    interesting - you claim to have worked in developement/designing yet you seem to have no clue how much time and effort is usually put into projects that at some stage may be tossed into garbage and never will see light or day or public will never know they existed just because someone higher in the chain desices to kill of the project or it isnt up to his standards/liking

i call complete bs.

people in this kind of buisness are more then well aware of it that this may happen.
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2017-11-11 at 06:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If we get a full account reset for classic AND they change very minimal things, I mean very minimal. Then 80% of the current wow community who tries classic will not make it to 60 and probably go back to Current. Its so much easier then how classic was. People dying to one add 2 levels higher then you, taking forever to kill something because lawl miss, dodge, parry. Cant find where the quest objectives are with out the current assistance on world maps today, difficulty of farming gold, Running everywhere, fighting ppl for quest items and mobs, taking hours upon hours just for a level or two. In example, 1-6 took like 2-3 hours just because of dodges, parries, misses, and fighting people for mobs to tag. Its fun and great cause you feel like you dedicating yourself to something and looking to the community for help, but the same time. The grind is nothing like it is now for anything in current. Its dedication.

That's not even including all the class and spec things you cant even do. Warriors, cant charge in combat, Rogues reduced 50% movement speed in stealth. Perception human talent was an eye soar for all stealthies, Priest bubbles lasting for days while swp killed you. There will be so much qq. Regardless, I'm looking forward to it. I was a feral druid main back then, probably starting something different this time around though.

Wait for 3 sunders! LFM Kurinaxx! World lfg chat. God. I'm so looking forward to this. Hope ya'll are too. <3

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyggalag View Post
    Have you changed your name? Machismo (idk how it's spelled) used that avatar. If so - YES this is the first time we actually agree on anything. 10/10 post would read again.
    Um, nope - I've seen someone else using this one (cropped differently) :P

Regarding other comments - I'm not calling for COMPLETE OVERHAUL AND BALANCE, just, I don't know, make them playable, duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    Um, nope - I've seen someone else using this one (cropped differently) :P

Regarding other comments - I'm not calling for COMPLETE OVERHAUL AND BALANCE, just, I don't know, make them playable, duh.
    Considering how the hybrid tax worked this simply isn't something I can see happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should just get vanilla up to the last patch before TBC prepatch and fix any exploits that were later discovered.

Everything else, especially class balance should NOT be touched. Any real id stuff should be disabled of course so server communities could matter again muahahaha.

I will make pickles with people QQs about class balance issues.

Anymore QoL threads should be locked. Most of their creators are just stirring the pot anyway, so nothing of value is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Leperix View Post
    It's clear you do not like vanilla, and you should not play WoW Classic. You should stick with retail.
    Except I've been playing Vanilla for almost a year now and haven't played retail since Cata.

Now kindly shut up, you're the type of player that isn't going to play Vanilla at all and just wants those who do to have a shittier experience.

Quote Originally Posted by HavokHeart View Post
    Warriors were top dps until aq/naxx when mages pulled ahead
    Yes. And because Warriors were BY FAR the best tank, most players who played warrior were forced to tank.

Pallies couldn't tank until 2.1 (I'll never forget that post that showed how to achieve uncrittable and uncrushable) and because of mana issues, Druids weren't optimal in many situations (although we did have ranked spells back then, but Druids did take lots of damage).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Except I've been playing Vanilla for almost a year now and haven't played retail since Cata.
    Why are you playing it when you clearly want more modern WoW with free spec swapping? You might be playing Vanilla, but clearly you want something retail experience.

Now kindly shut up, you're the type of player that isn't going to play Vanilla at all and just wants those who do to have a shittier experience.
    Except I will absolutely play WoW Classic and I want the experience to be authentic, not with modern conveniences like easy spec swapping. That's because, while you might think it's not a big deal to add it, I believe adding it will have far reaching unexpected consequences to the entire experience that will make it inauthentic. I want vanilla experience, which did not include free spec swapping. You clearly don't, so I hope you won't play WoW Classic.

Most people forget the bad things about vanilla.

Hunters having to waste a bag slot on Arrows. Locks having to waste a bag slot on soul shards.

Paladins and Druids weren't viable tanks.

Wanding.
    In my day we didn't have World of Warcraft or Guild Wars. We had World War 2, and when you shot at the Germans it aggroed five thousand of their friends!

"A blind, deaf, comatose lobotomy patient could feel my anger!!"

As a vanilla player none of my guild wants them to change the game in any way at all. We are a small 20-ish man guild, we watched the blizzcon announcement together and had a party in-game. There was quite the debate on our discord.

Most of us do want some sort of poll system where devs will talk about things they "could" do. and then it "could" be implemented if and only if say 75% of the legacy community actively vote for something.

In this sort of system the devs wouldn't even offer the option of things like LFD or LFR as they know full well it would ruin the experience. Vanilla is one big machine, you change a few cogs and things might be easier or "better" but it could seriously harm the idea of what "vanilla should be". The problem with Modern WoW is exactly this, the machine has changed and grown so much that parts of it were left completely in the dark for years like leveling, and only right now in 2017 are seeing changes to resolve some of these issues.

This is the system old school runescape has had for the last 5 years, it works, but some content does change the game in dramatic ways, like the grand exchange which created universal prices and a structured economy.

They will need to fix some bugs, nostralius fixed some major bugs prior to launch like mobs in Dire Maul being gold farmed.

- - - Updated - - -

"A" bag slot on soul shards.

Oh boy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMccrum View Post
    As a vanilla player none of my guild wants them to change the game in any way at all. We are a small 20-ish man guild, we watched the blizzcon announcement together and had a party in-game. There was quite the debate on our discord.

Most of us do want some sort of poll system where devs will talk about things they "could" do. and then it "could" be implemented if and only if say 75% of the legacy community actively vote for something.

In this sort of system the devs wouldn't even offer the option of things like LFD or LFR as they know full well it would ruin the experience. Vanilla is one big machine, you change a few cogs and things might be easier or "better" but it could seriously harm the idea of what "vanilla should be". The problem with Modern WoW is exactly this, the machine has changed and grown so much that parts of it were left completely in the dark for years like leveling, and only right now in 2017 are seeing changes to resolve some of these issues.

This is the system old school runescape has had for the last 5 years, it works, but some content does change the game in dramatic ways, like the grand exchange which created universal prices and a structured economy.

They will need to fix some bugs, nostralius fixed some major bugs prior to launch like mobs in Dire Maul being gold farmed.

- - - Updated - - -

"A" bag slot on soul shards.

Oh boy.
    The 75% vote thing is what OSRS does but even then it has problems. Vote manipulation and people voting 'No' just to annoy others and then revenge voting (PvP would never get anything in this climate)
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    The 75% vote thing is what OSRS does but even then it has problems. Vote manipulation and people voting 'No' just to annoy others and then revenge voting (PvP would never get anything in this climate)
    a/b is a totally different (publicly traded) animal. they would never allow a 'vote' on anything they didn't know what the outcome to would be or couldn't control, unless it were an item so insignificant that they concluded either outcome would make no difference (we may in fact see some of these type choices?)

I think at this point their major priority is reassure the pro-classic community that the 'classic experience' will be intact while doing as much as possible to stealth-nerf/QoL/speed-up game aspects to attract people who prefer any of the newer versions of wow over the years.

I find it very hard to believe A/B would release a game as inaccessible as classic wow without trying to tinker with it to make it more accessible. There is huge potential revenue at stake in this project and the only part of the classic experience that matters is keeping the classic community enthusiastic in the coming months/years.

There may very well be people, even Names, at blizzard who would sincerely prefer personally to just put a classic game out that preserves the tuning, grind, skill-cap, etc., of classic wow, but I do not believe it is even remotely their decision in the big picture.

Simply put, this is A/B having the 'choice' of appeasing Wall Street (and their own net worth, via stock holdings/options) or appeasing gamers on forums. The answer is so obvious - you try to keep the gamers on forums happy while doing what makes the Street happy. Worse, shareholders have every [LEGAL] right to expect this. Gamers, depending on which poster you pay attention to, may not even have a moral right to want to play classic wow.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2017-11-12 at 05:34 PM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by reemi View Post
    I agree,

I hope Blizzard will release Vanilla only, without any modification to the code.

If Blizzard change 1 single thing, I'm sorry but you arent playing Vanilla.
    Does that mean bugfixes etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Jyggalag View Post
    Implying Blizzard have just agreed to release a broken version of the same game that they support today and believe is already "fixed". That's like saying CD Projekt Red are going to re-release the witcher 3, make it nigh unplayable in many aspects, throw in some bugs and force you down the route of a few select talents, and call it 'The Witcher 1 Remastered'.
    Terrible argument. Hilarious even. If you genuinely believe that adding some much needed updates to classic WoW will literally turn it into Legion then you're out of your mind and your opinion should be completely disregarded as anything other than a troll. 0/10 for effort. Here's hoping the devs read this so that they can see the mentality of the people calling for the game to be released exactly as it was before broadband was a thing in many Western European countries.
    Your analogy makes zero sense and you clearly have shit comprehensive skills.

Missing features, or old class design, etc is not the same as “broken”. There was nothing buggy or broken about vanilla. It is just bad.

If you were asking them to remaster it or make bug fixes, that’s one thing...but asking for them to update vanilla to include new convenience features or to re balance the classes is just stupid, and that was the exact thing that all expansions that came after it did.

You either want to play vanilla or you don’t, you dimwit. If you want an “updated” or “fixed” vanilla, that is literally what Legion is.
    Last edited by getupkid55; 2017-11-15 at 04:09 AM.

What's most likely going to happen is everything about the world is the exact same, but the code will reflect the same environment live has, such as taints and API, and possibly some functionality QoL changes like AoE looting, pathing, bug fixes, and other "under the hood" stuff. XP gain, spells, talents, world style (models, textures), UI style, level, damage, NPCs, quests, instances, PVP system, and so on will be as they were. PvE queues, boosting, tokens, flying, and other big ticket stuff will not be included.

Personally, I hope they include the guild bank, because guild management sucked ass in classic. One of the main reasons they added the gbank was because some guilds were sharing bank toon accounts for guild items. We also shouldn't have the crazy open near-automation addons. I fully support the protected API system, despite how much it can suck.
    Last edited by Kanegasi; 2017-11-15 at 04:15 AM.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Quote Originally Posted by Icechaosss View Post
    I think this is what Blizzard was most afraid of when people were crying for legacy servers.

To the people who want the same experience, this post isn't aimed at you. It's more aimed at the 10+ threads I've seen for the day begging for changes to classes, "QOL" changes, questing changes, XP changes etc.

I'm not here to say be "grateful" that you're getting Vanilla servers, in fact I'm happy for you guys. During this entire campaign, I've been curious as to how the "good ole days" were since I wasn't exactly old enough to enjoy Vanilla properly. I'm actually excited to try it. That being said, I know I'm not gonna stick to it and spend that much time on it. But I'll gladly try it out.

But why ask for changes now? Was it such a dream for Vanilla servers that you guys didn't expect Blizzard to do it, and now you want a "Fixed Vanilla?"
    If this experience really is changed can it even be considered Vanilla? I'm genuinely curious about this, because I feel like the fight before was "Retail vs Classic" and this is going to devolve into "Vanilla w/changes vs. Vanilla without changes"
    The people who want major changes to vanilla other than minor bug fixes are just fakers, fairweather bandwagon riders or trolls.

The people who have been part of the movement for Vanilla from the start don't want these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Maglen View Post
    Most people forget the bad things about vanilla.

Hunters having to waste a bag slot on Arrows. Locks having to waste a bag slot on soul shards.

Paladins and Druids weren't viable tanks.

Wanding.
    Wanding didn't suck at all. I played only a mage in classic. I can't wait to wand things like that again.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    you are mistaken

blizzard wont leave even a single pirate server out there to ensure succes of the game launch.

people are naive if they think there will be even a single server out there left and not killed off.
    There have been private servers since vanilla WoW was current. Blizzard hasnt managed to kill them in over 12 years it is not going all of a sudden be able to kill the now.