Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DesMephisto View Post
    the RPG elements that existed in vanilla. Talents, stance dancing, weapon skills aspects that more or less invested you in your character plus the removal of a constant lever puller simulation. People are so fixated on Vanilla that they ignore a lot of the great things we've lost for a more streamlined mainstream game which sucks.
    Talents were more of an illusion. Most people picked the same exact talents for raiding or pvp. If you wanted to switch, have fun spending a crap load of gold (which was way harder to get) to switch between em. You have way more variety today, the system is just presented differently.

Weapon skills were dumb and unnecessary. "oh cool I got a new axe, let me go hit boars for 4 hours until I can use it properly"

I'm failing to see the "great" things.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    Not if you had a mana battery with you...I mean a shadow priest.
    Didn't exist yet. Shadow priest was bad priest.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

I think Blizz should release with the version that introduced Molton Core then monitor subs. When subs go down, stop releasing patches because the previous patch *must* have been the one most people like.

hehehehehe

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solarfallz View Post
    Wrong era, my dude

Aspect of the Viper was added in BC. Hunters had no mechanics for regen in vanilla besides spirit and mana potions. When you ran oom you chugged potions or just autoshotted. Considering autoshot is most of your damage, it's not so bad.
    I remember 'wanding' being a thing mid fights some times. Pretty sure alliance side (which I was) we had judgement of wisdom.

Edit: This was in reposes to someone talking about mana batteries. Still wasn't as strong as vampiric touch was in TBC, but it was still something, assuming you had paladins who would take the time to judge.
    Last edited by Rollo; 2017-11-12 at 08:38 AM.
    wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I'm not looking forward to stance dancing at all, always thought that was crappy. In fact it's one of the things discouraging me from rolling a Warrior.

Talent trees, eh, been there done that. Also I remember always being frustrated with the crappy decisions it made me make. Oh you want this cool active ability that greatly improves QoL? Too bad, you need 1% more attack power instead because that's mandatory.
    Stance dancing was the best thing about a warrior and where most of our pvp mastery came from.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    Talents were more of an illusion. Most people picked the same exact talents for raiding or pvp. If you wanted to switch, have fun spending a crap load of gold (which was way harder to get) to switch between em. You have way more variety today, the system is just presented differently.

Weapon skills were dumb and unnecessary. "oh cool I got a new axe, let me go hit boars for 4 hours until I can use it properly"

I'm failing to see the "great" things.
    "cookie cutter builds" sure there was an optimal route, but it was still an investment. IT was me putting those points into the character, it was me selecting those talents, it was me leveling those skills. That progression is my character. It was a real illusion.

Today? Gear. That is the only progression. /snore.
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    That was TBC. In vanilla all they did was provide 15% shadow damage to the warlocks.
    Vampiric Embrace existed too for the group healing. With a lot of +shadow damage, it was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dulu View Post
    Vampiric Embrace existed too for the group healing. With a lot of +shadow damage, it was pretty good.
    Yeah, insane threat though

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Back when damage per mana > damage per second. It was all a balancing act. If you ran out of mana too early, you were SOL, if you ended a fight with too much mana, you potentially left damage on the table.

I'm looking forward to stance dancing, trinket dancing (rogue and hunter), attunement quests strings, and hunter/priest class weapon quest, just to name a few.

Me too!

Now you can flash heal all day long and never go oom. Stance dancing was fun as hell, especially when the tank f'ed up and everyone dies! Good Times, Pally bubble tank, that was some funny shit.

We were in Kara one day, tank for got to stance dance on Nightbane, pally bubbled tank..it was chaos but funny as shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Atrieus View Post
    Your actually saying vanilla had better gameplay?

I could not even cast my totem on my shaman during MC as i did nkt have any mana o.O
    You weren't managing your mana efficiently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    Yes, it was so fun going afk while attacking a mob, to boost up your weapon skill.

I completely loved being in westfall, leveling up my unarmed by attacking a defias bandit and going afk.

Afk gameplay best gameplay. Very innovative, much rpg.

I will give you the other things, but weapon skill isn't a feature to be hyped. I'm glad it's there, it's fine, it's interesting. But it's not some amazing feature.
    Blasted Lands was the place for weapon skills. Mobs that were part of a quest that couldn't be killed and, if memory serves, didn't attack back.

It was... exhilarating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ys3Kgxo3Yk

Ooooh, they DID attack back! Dealing absolutely no damage, but hey, couldn't just go afk for an hour and come back alive. Probably.
    Last edited by Santti; 2017-11-12 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    Didn't exist yet. Shadow priest was bad priest.
    Unless you played a warlock and you & your warlock buddies loved 1 spriest in raid?

I don't miss the weapon skills in the slightest (oh hey I have a new weapon....time to go attack a mob for like 10 minutes getting this skill up...) but there was something charming about making my own potions and blinding powder. Small class-specific inconveniences like that added identity and gameplay, even if I understand why they were cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    Unless you played a warlock and you & your warlock buddies loved 1 spriest in raid?
    That was TBC. And depended on whether the lock went dest shadow or dest fire.

Dest fire was technically stronger but generated a shit ton of threat since locks didn't have a passive talent to reduce threat on fire like they did shadow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I don't miss the weapon skills in the slightest (oh hey I have a new weapon....time to go attack a mob for like 10 minutes getting this skill up...) but there was something charming about making my own potions and blinding powder. Small class-specific inconveniences like that added identity and gameplay, even if I understand why they were cut.
    Only time I remember that being an issue was on Kael since some genius decided to make the tank weapon the dagger.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

The community is to different now for vanilla to work the same way it did when new. The game is old and the players too, it’s not the fresh new mmo that people are just picking up for the first time.

I'll be more excited when mods eventually ban "bait threads" like

"Don't you hate when.."
    "I realize that.."
    "My penis is small but.."

On topic, I'm excited to give Vanilla a fair try. Looks like fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    the RPG elements that existed in vanilla. Talents, stance dancing, weapon skills aspects that more or less invested you in your character plus the removal of a constant lever puller simulation. People are so fixated on Vanilla that they ignore a lot of the great things we've lost for a more streamlined mainstream game which sucks.
    So you're less excited about Vanilla, but more excited about Vanilla. Gotcha, makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Molvonos View Post
    Because what you feel is great, isn't great to other people.

Personal bias and opinion are not universal.
    Exactly. There are those that feel it was better back in Vanilla and their are those that feel things are better now. Neither one is "right" per se, just what is right for the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Blasted Lands was the place for weapon skills. Mobs that were part of a quest that couldn't be killed and, if memory serves, didn't attack back.

It was... exhilarating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ys3Kgxo3Yk

Ooooh, they DID attack back! Dealing absolutely no damage, but hey, couldn't just go afk for an hour and come back alive. Probably.

Dr. Boom in Netherlands

- - - Updated - - -

Hey will ppl play without addons again?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    The community is to different now for vanilla to work the same way it did when new. The game is old and the players too, it’s not the fresh new mmo that people are just picking up for the first time.
    People just want that game back.

It's like, if you want to play FFVII on your playstation, you can. Just plug it in and play. People can only do that with vanilla by playing on dodgy servers, no guarantee of service in the long run, etc... that's why people are asking for classic, just the possibility of going back at it. No change, no fuss... just classic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Dr. Boom in Netherlands

- - - Updated - - -

Hey will ppl play without addons again?
    Netherlands? Holland?

Netherstorm :P

Also, some people play without addons on Legion, what's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I'm not looking forward to stance dancing at all, always thought that was crappy. In fact it's one of the things discouraging me from rolling a Warrior.

Talent trees, eh, been there done that. Also I remember always being frustrated with the crappy decisions it made me make. Oh you want this cool active ability that greatly improves QoL? Too bad, you need 1% more attack power instead because that's mandatory.
    Stance dancing was one of the best things about warriors in my opinion. :-)

While I agree with you about the RPG elements, talents and stance dancing are more about gamelay. Weapon skills, hunter pets leveling, warlock shards, shamans BL, professions usefulness, all these exclusive things that compose class and profession uniqueness are the missing elements of RPG in nowadays wow.