Page 17 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Y'alliban?
    The accepted terms seem to be; Talibangelists, Y'allQueda, Yokel Haram, Vanilla Isis.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Yea i know that defense about how Joseph had sex with the virgin Mary who gave birth to Jezus.

Hence the second part about the bible and guns.
    Yeah this is especially sad. Sure, I get that most Christians don't actually read the Bible, but.....come on, this is basic basic stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Pro-Russian, pro-pedophile, pro-Trump: three counts for which the GOP deserves capital punishment.

Full article:

You may have thought that Republicans had sunk as low as they could possibly go last year when they nominated for the presidency a man who was singularly unfit, morally and mentally, for that post. But, no, once you start racing to the bottom you never quite stop. There is always another level of degeneracy to be plumbed.

Enter Roy Moore, the Republican Senate candidate in Alabama. He believes that “homosexual conduct should be illegal” and that Muslims should not be permitted to serve in Congress. Now the Washington Post reports that this fearless crusader for “traditional values” had a habit of propositioning underage girls.

In one case in 1979, when he was a 32-year-old assistant district attorney, the Post reports, Moore allegedly offered to watch a “little girl” outside a courthouse for her mother. He subsequently took advantage of this entree to kiss and fondle this 14-year-old after undressing both of them down to their underwear. The statute of limitations has expired on this sordid episode, but under Alabama law it would constitute sexual abuse in the second degree and be punishable by up to a year in prison.

Under common morality, of the kind that Moore claims to champion, his conduct is simply vile. You don’t have to be the parent of teenage girls — which I am — to be deeply disgusted. Yet he is utterly unrepentant. Moore simply waves off the allegations, claiming, “This garbage is the very definition of fake news and intentional defamation.”

On his Twitter feed he has the gall to write, “Our children and grandchildren’s futures are on the line. So rest assured — I will NEVER GIVE UP the fight!” He even has the audacity to send a fundraising appeal to his supporters claiming that the Post article is evidence that “the forces of evil are on the march in our country,” and asking for a donation to fight the “Clinton-Obama machine.”

So far, much to their eternal discredit, Moore’s Republican backers in Alabama appear to be sticking by him. Paul Reynolds, the Republican national committee man from Alabama, told The Hill that he doesn’t trust The Washington Post: “If I’ve got a choice of putting my welfare into the hands of Putin or The Washington Post, Putin wins every time.” State auditor Jim Zeigler is willing to admit the charges are true, but he doesn’t care. He cited the Biblical story of Mary and Joseph — “Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus”— and concluded, “There’s just nothing immoral or illegal here. Maybe just a little bit unusual.”

Republicans in Washington are slightly less gung-ho for Roy Moore, but that doesn’t mean they are willing to do the right thing—which is to call on him to leave the race immediately and endorse his Democratic opponent if he doesn’t. President Trump’s mealy-mouthed statement, delivered via his press secretary, speaks volumes: “The president believes we cannot allow a mere allegation, in this case one from many years ago, to destroy a person’s life. However, the president also believes that if these allegations are true, Judge Moore will do the right thing and step aside."

The key words here, echoed by Republican senators, are “if these allegations are true.” Well, of course, no one wants to see anyone punished for false allegations. But how is their truth or falsity to be established? It is too late for a court case, unless Moore is foolish enough to sue The Washington Post for libel — and that would take years to resolve. The Post account is full of detailed corroboration from 30 people, including the victims, who spoke on the record. Moore offers vague denials and non-sequiturs about how he is supposedly a devoted family man.

By treating this as a “mere allegation … from many years ago,” the Republican establishment is in effect giving Moore a pass — just as they gave Trump a pass after he confessed on videotape to sexual assault. So far only a few honorable Republicans, including Mitt Romney, John McCain and John Kasich, recognize that the presumption of innocence applies to criminal defendants, not political candidates.

This episode is the sorry culmination of two trends that have disfigured the conservative movement beyond all recognition: contempt for the facts and desire to win at all costs. Republicans are increasingly reliant on “alternative facts” manufactured by the likes of Fox News and Breitbart, which claim that global warming isn’t real and neither is the Russian hack of the Democratic National Committee. The real scandal, they tell us, is the Steele dossier paid for by the Democrats in an attempt to uncover Trump’s Russian connections. Or is it the evidence-free claim that Obama supposedly wiretapped Trump?

In the final analysis, no indictment of their candidate will convince the faithful. As Trump once said, “I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters.” Or, more to the point, Roy Moore could molest a 14-year-old girl and not lose votes. Because for Republican partisans, their opponents are “the forces of evil,” and anything is preferable to that. Even Donald Trump. Even Roy Moore. So in ostensibly fighting evil, Republicans have become complicit in it.

This is a party that does not deserve to survive.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    He can, and let people write in Strange.

Nobody's guess if he does that or not.
    The last info I saw was that no candidate for state office can withdraw their name within 76 (72?) days of the election. It was my understanding that there could also be a write-in campaign, as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The last info I saw was that no candidate for state office can withdraw their name within 76 (72?) days of the election.
    I believe it is impossible to prevent someone from refusing to run, nor to refuse the office if they won.

Alabama law says a candidate’s name can’t be removed from the ballot within 76 days of the election. This is true even if Moore decides to drop out of the race: His name would stay on the ballot, and any votes cast for him would not count.
    Moore can, in fact, drop out. The real problem is, nobody can replace him on the ballot. So even if they get rid of the child rapist, they're stuck with the child rapist's name in their party.

I hope they're so fucking proud of themselves.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I believe it is impossible to prevent someone from refusing to run, nor to refuse the office if they won.

Moore can, in fact, drop out. The real problem is, nobody can replace him on the ballot. So even if they get rid of the child rapist, they're stuck with the child rapist's name in their party.

I hope they're so fucking proud of themselves.
    Ah, ok - that was what I was getting at, sort of. He can officially drop out, but name stays on the ballot.

Fucking savages. Honestly, any other state I would expect Jones to win, but with this being AL, Moore will probably win, and not be booted by U.S. Senate. Because that's the kind of country we've become.

There is another option which was done once before in another state. Should Moore drop out the GOP could sue to have Strange's name placed on the ballot. It would be up to the state's supreme court to decide and considering they're republicans I'm sure they would allow it.

Source: Link

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Fucking savages. Honestly, any other state I would expect Jones to win, but with this being AL, Moore will probably win, and not be booted by U.S. Senate. Because that's the kind of country we've become.
    Sad, but true. Lived there for a bit and left as soon as I could.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    There is another option which was done once before in another state. Should Moore drop out the GOP could sue to have Strange's name placed on the ballot. It would be up to the state's supreme court to decide and considering they're republicans I'm sure they would allow it.
    I am sure there would be no repurcussions in any way from such a blatant partisan move.

For example, I'm sure Democrats would not say "well, since you delayed the election to swap out a candidate in Alabama, we're going to do the same in XXX and you have to accept it".

Nope.

Now, that said, we are hearing Moore and Moore noise that there will be no dropping out. And he has a dropping, but nonzero, number of Twitler's rabid fanbase defending him. A write-in would be the dumbest thing in the world to do, as that would split the vote and hand the election to a Democrat -- worse than being a child rapist, apparently.

They're going to have to somehow channel funding to Moore -- yes, I know his funding was cut, but he can't win without it -- and find some way to attack the source successfully, or find some other way to "force" him out, such as by having him arrested for...something, when he raped the child there was a statute of limitations so he can't be arrested for that crime, specifically. Or...well, they could kill him. Ideally for them, he'd eventually drop out, but the longer that takes, the less effect it'll have. We've seen elections in the US where people voted for a dead guy.

7+ Year Old Account
    I am sure there would be no repurcussions in any way from such a blatant partisan move.

For example, I'm sure Democrats would not say "well, since you delayed the election to swap out a candidate in Alabama, we're going to do the same in XXX and you have to accept it".

Nope.

Now, that said, we are hearing Moore and Moore noise that there will be no dropping out. And he has a dropping, but nonzero, number of Twitler's rabid fanbase defending him. A write-in would be the dumbest thing in the world to do, as that would split the vote and hand the election to a Democrat -- worse than being a child rapist, apparently.

They're going to have to somehow channel funding to Moore -- yes, I know his funding was cut, but he can't win without it -- and find some way to attack the source successfully, or find some other way to "force" him out, such as by having him arrested for...something, when he raped the child there was a statute of limitations so he can't be arrested for that crime, specifically. Or...well, they could kill him. Ideally for them, he'd eventually drop out, but the longer that takes, the less effect it'll have. We've seen elections in the US where people voted for a dead guy.
    I was listening to a commentator on npr the other day, and they explained how a write in actually may not be what the dems want in this case. The problem is that many people assume that a write in would only negative affect Moore. In such a heavily red state, there were going to be some Rs that would hold their nose and vote for a D. The problem is that if there is a movement that lets these people vote for a legitimate alternative, then they would do that. It’s very possible, and almost likely that too many votes would be drained from the democrat, and not enough from Moore.
    It would be an incredibly dangerous gamble.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    https://twitter.com/dineshdsouza/sta...09895603097600

Voting for a guy because he is a child molester to own the libs.
    Just Republican things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mitch McConnell just asked him to resign, being quoted as saying he believes these women.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Mitch McConnell just asked him to resign, being quoted as saying he believes these women.
    Was about to post that as well. Should be interesting to see what happens next.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/13/politi...ore/index.html

Looks like they are pushing for the write-in campaign.

McConnell on Monday said the party is looking to see if a write-in option could be successful.
    Last edited by Hobb; 2017-11-13 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    https://twitter.com/dineshdsouza/sta...09895603097600

Voting for a guy because he is a child molester to own the libs.
    Just Republican things.
    Yep, a felon defending a pedophile. Why am I not surprised?

Oh, you missed something.

He's buying 500 coffee makers to replace those his followers smash. Well, to 500 of them, at least.
    ...are he and his followers literally retarded? Do they not know what the fuck a boycott is, and how it's supposed to work?

This is a special kind of stupid, even for Hannity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    ...are he and his followers literally retarded?
    Well maybe, but I think in context Hannity's looking to buy 500 replacement non-Keurig coffee makers.

It's still stupid, but it's not terminally stupid.

Well maybe, but I think in context Hannity's looking to buy 500 replacement non-Keurig coffee makers.

Ah, for some reason I read that as him buying more Keurigs. Still kinda stupid either way, I bet Keurig is feeling pretty good about all the press coverage coming out of this. Was their target audience ever "Real Americans" to begin with? I figured they wouldn't be using expensive, fancy, liberal, high-tech devices like that for their caffeination needs : P

7+ Year Old Account

Well unless whatever company he buys the coffee machines from decided they don’t want anything to do with him. That would hilarious.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to admit, "No, Mitch McConnell, YOU should step aside!" is something I didn't expect Moore to say.

The Hannity/Keurig thing is just beyond bizarre. This is a company who were until recently paying his employer money to run advertisements on his show.

After deciding to pull their ads, he goes on a crusade again them, thus killing any possibility of getting them back as a customer. Furthermore, does he really think other companies won't look at this and be disturbed by his behavior? For any company thinking of advertising on his show it's sure to be a huge turn off.
    Last edited by Drutt; 2017-11-13 at 06:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    The Hannity/Keurig thing is just beyond bizarre. This is a company who were until recently paying his employer money to run advertisements on his show.

After deciding to pull their ads, he goes on a crusade again them, thus killing any possibility of getting them back as a customer. Furthermore, does he really think other companies won't look at this and be disturbed by his behavior? For any company thinking of advertising on his show it's sure to be a huge turn off.
    It's the "YOU CAN'T (FIRE/DUMP) ME, I'M (FIRING/DUMPING) YOU!" defense.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-