Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    To assimilate? Christmas is a christian holiday.. no muslim would celebrate it if they were practicing muslims.
    Christinaity has long since pimped out Christmas to be nothing more then a carnival for consumption. I know plenty practicing muslims celebrating christmas. At least the 'free days, feast and giftgiving' part. What else is there to christmas? Or rather what else is left?

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Christinaity has long since pimped out Christmas to be nothing more then a carnival for consumption. I know plenty practicing muslims celebrating christmas. At least the 'free days, feast and giftgiving' part. What else is there to christmas? Or rather what else is left?
    Paying our respects to Odin? Praying for summer to come?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    When Turkeys arrived in England, we were still Catholic. Puritans weren’t the dominant force until later.

And 500 years isn’t recent, it’s about a third of the time that England has been Christian.
    It's a tradition that is not specifically ''christian'', that all I meant. I keep reading that for instance Thanskgiving, the other blessed day for the turkey market, was ''rediscovered'' in 1861-1865, the link between the current feast and the pilgrims being much more tenuous that people would be willing to admit.

I wish I had enough time to be mad about stupid shit like this. Maybe I should make time in my life for this, seems to be an enjoyable sport for many people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Dudes, think about 30 seconds

Turkey is a bird native from the Americas. Do you think it was part of the Christmas tradition ?
    From what I know Catholics eat fish instead of turkey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doubt most of you so called Christians do anything remotely traditionally tied to christian rites, so this is more special snowflakes getting upset over nothing.

Deleted
    Dudes, think about 30 seconds

Turkey is a bird native from the Americas. Do you think it was part of the Christmas tradition ?
    Turkeys weren't even associated with Christmas till after WWII... Before then it was Goose

Goose was what we had at Christmas until Turkey got popular.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    From what I know Catholics eat fish instead of turkey.
    You don't eat meat on christmas evening this is correct. Although that has almost completely faded out. You do eat meat on the following days, depending how long christmas goes on for you 2 to 3 days including the evening for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a tradition that is not specifically ''christian'', that all I meant. I keep reading that for instance Thanskgiving, the other blessed day for the turkey market, was ''rediscovered'' in 1861-1865, the link between the current feast and the pilgrims being much more tenuous that people would be willing to admit.
    We don’t have Thanksgiving in England, so I don’t give a shit.

What you ate depended on your means, whether it was turkey, goose, swan, or whatever is irrelevant, it is still a Christian feast day and that makes Christmas Christian...the clue is in the name.

christmas is a pagan holiday though
    mr pickles

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Saint Nicholas was NOT a Turk.

He was born to a Greek family it what was then mostly Greek Anatolia. He lived from 270-343 AD. The Turks hadn't migrated/invaded Anatolia by that point. They were still in Central Asia then.

Where did you go to school?
    Ofc he was a turk, anatolia = turk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Turkeys weren't even associated with Christmas till after WWII... Before then it was Goose
    From Wikipedia “The 16th century farmer Thomas Tusser noted that by 1573 turkeys were commonly served at English Christmas dinners.”

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gyrados View Post
    christmas is a pagan holiday though
    Christmas isn't, you're thinking winter solstice

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Ofc he was a turk, anatolia = turk.
    Turkish people invaded Anatolia later.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    From Wikipedia “The 16th century farmer Thomas Tusser noted that by 1573 turkeys were commonly served at English Christmas dinners.”
    Hmm QI said otherwise

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't cared about the Christian aspects of Christmas in well over 10 years. I don't sing, I don't pray and I don't go to church. But I light some candles because it's festive and wholeheartedly embrace the capitalist spirit of the whole thing. I like giving friends and family presents, so it's the perfect holiday for me.
    But despite it not traditionally being a thing in Germany, I have also adapted Halloween. I carve a pumpkin, cook a shitload of pumpkin dishes and buy another battery powerd plastic pumpkin for my workplace. On actual Halloween I put on a witch hat or something similar for my daily routine, including work. I'd say people here have started doing Halloween stuff in the last 10 to 15 years, so we might actually be seeing the birth of a new tradition in Germany. In the cities you can actually see some packs of children trick- or treating, but since the turnout is low because few older people participate it's still pretty rare. I always buy a bag of candy just in case.

Bottom line is: It doesn't matter where a holiday originates, as long as you're having fun participating you go for it.
    For example, at the end of Ramadan Muslims will have what has been translated to me as a "sugar feast", which is basically a huge feeding frenzy after the fasting ends. Sure I'm as white as they come and certainly not a convert, but when I participated in the fasting on a dare, I was invited to their families feast by some friends. I had the ritual explained to me and went with it the same way I sing the Christian songs at my aunt's place during Christmas season even though I'm a pretty militant Atheist.

Just don't get too pissy over how other people observe or interpret their festive seasons.

The whole discussion reminds me of that stupid hubbub about the mutton commercial from New Zealand a few months back, when they said it's the one meat people of all religions can eat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Hmm QI said otherwise
    QI’s research team are a bit shoddy, they called Alexander the Great an Albanian, which didn’t exist at the time.

Deleted
    Bah can't find it nor do I actually care lol

10+ Year Old Account
    How dare Tesco descerate the sacred Christian tradition of selling Turkeys with cranberry up their arse to people by having a woman wear a headscarf