Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How is Exede Satellite Internet for WoW?

Does anyone currently play WoW on Exede or Viasat? I switched from Dishnet to Hugesnet and Wow became unplayable. I'm thinking about switching to Exede but I'd like to know if WoW still works on it before I pony up the penalty fee for breaking contract early.

Moderator Note: Changed thread title so it doesn't look like ad/spam.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2017-11-12 at 10:39 PM.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

I use Exede. Have used it since it was wild blue. They have made some really nice upgrades.
    WOW works great
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    I use Exede. Have used it since it was wild blue. They have made some really nice upgrades.
    WOW works great
    Thank you so much. Hughesnet is just horrible for some reason. I think it's too much of a load on the bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Thank you so much. Hughesnet is just horrible for some reason. I think it's too much of a load on the bird.
    Exede launched their new satellite back in june and it goes online after the first of the year. It will offer upto 100Mb Download and i think they said there will 200gb data caps a month or even unlimited

Hughes has works all day so far since I've started researching my change. But I'm still gonna switch because it's been a pain for wow since I switched.

Exede launched their new satellite back in june and it goes online after the first of the year. It will offer upto 100Mb Download and i think they said there will 200gb data caps a month or even unlimited
    I'm glad to hear Excede is better. I think I had them from 2013-2014, but it felt outrageous because it was like, 70 bucks a month for 10 gigs of data or something ridiculously bad.

Its not about download or upload speeds, for online gaming. WoW uses like... 15Kbps up/down, or less.

Its about latency. And Satellite is usually garbage for latency, particularly upstream, which is super important for gaming.

Youd be better off with an ISDN line for gaming, over satelite. (Not that im sure you can even get one anymore.

Youd also be better off with, say, a residential 4G hotspot. My inlaws got one from AT&T for 65$ a month, 250GB/mnth. They get about 15Gbps down/3Gbps up, and latency in WoW is about 30-50ms.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2017-11-13 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Its not about download or upload speeds, for online gaming. WoW uses like... 15Kbps up/down, or less.

Its about latency. And Satellite is usually garbage for latency, particularly upstream, which is super important for gaming.

Youd be better off with an ISDN line for gaming, over satelite. (Not that im sure you can even get one anymore.

Youd also be better off with, say, a residential 4G hotspot. My inlaws got one from AT&T for 65$ a month, 250GB/mnth. They get about 15Gbps down/3Gbps up, and latency in WoW is about 30-50ms.
    I have been using satellite since 2004. At first it was a issue but now , even with 650ms latency i can still be top 5 DPS and do well in pvp

I have been using satellite since 2004. At first it was a issue but now , even with 650ms latency i can still be top 5 DPS and do well in pvp
    Let me guess, you also get 200fps in mythic raids at setting 10 on your FX-6300 and GT 730, right? Thats about as realistic as your claim.

No one with even the most basic understanding of networking and latency believes you.

Somehow, you automagically do better than people with literally 20x less latency than you.

Got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Let me guess, you also get 200fps in mythic raids at setting 10 on your FX-6300 and GT 730, right? Thats about as realistic as your claim.

No one with even the most basic understanding of networking and latency believes you.

Somehow, you automagically do better than people with literally 20x less latency than you.

Got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale?
    Sorry but its true. And I know a few other people who use the service and do very well.
    75fps because my monitor is 75mhz
    And a FYI I have a i7-7700k 4.5mhz , GTX 1070
    But thanks for acting like a asshole. I was getting worried that the typical MMOC jerkoffs would not come on here acting like you do .
    Last edited by Dystemper; 2017-11-13 at 11:57 PM.

How can you defend an ISP if your latency is 650? That's trash. I notice a delay when my latency reads 100+. Used to play on dialup and I got 350-500 ms and it was awful. I think you're just used to it, that doesn't mean it's acceptable. Satellite internet is bad, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    How can you defend an ISP if your latency is 650? That's trash. I notice a delay when my latency reads 100+. Used to play on dialup and I got 350-500 ms and it was awful. I think you're just used to it, that doesn't mean it's acceptable. Satellite internet is bad, period.
    Yes its bad. BUT I have no other options where I live. And compared to the shitshow that is Hughesnet, Exede is miles ahead of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    And here I am sitting with this and thinking its slightly expensive 50$ a month.

Unlimited usage.
    Lost connection to internet 4-5 times in the last 8 years.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by chaosjones View Post
    And here I am sitting with this and thinking its slightly expensive 50$ a month.

Unlimited usage.
    Broadband in Rural areas of the USA is almost non existent .
    I have to pay 100 a month. The prices have actually comedown lately, couple years ago I was having to pay $160 a month and only could use 15Gb a month data and had a 15 mbps

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    No one chooses to be on satellite......if you're on it then that's all that you can get.

- - - Updated - - -

With Hughesnet I get DC'd before it even logs into the realm servers. That's what I'm trying to fix. WoW worked like it always had for me before I switched to Hughes and now it doesn't if there is any "load" on the bird. I just wanted to make sure Via was still working with WoW. Now I just have to sell a kidney on ebay for the cancellation fee!

No one chooses to be on satellite......if you're on it then that's all that you can get.
    One could argue that you choose to live in the boonies, but I digress, sorry American net structure continues to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post

Unlimited usage.
    Some of us would kill for a connection half as good as that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    One could argue that you choose to live in the boonies, but I digress, sorry American net structure continues to suck.
    I'm not even in the boonies. I'm like 2 miles out of the LTE coverage zone and 6 miles from the interstate. I'd totally support a law that forced cable companies to run their lines where ever power lines run. Of course that would killed companies like Direct TV and Dish Network but hey it for the greater good

Some of us would kill for a connection half as good as that.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not even in the boonies. I'm like 2 miles out of the LTE coverage zone and 6 miles from the interstate. I'd totally support a law that forced cable companies to run their lines where ever power lines run. Of course that would killed companies like Direct TV and Dish Network but hey it for the greater good
    Actually, don't think it would kill them really, I know plenty of people WITHIN cable reach who still choose to use things like Direct TV (with uverse internet because AT&T owns D-TV). Don't know if there's options with Dish, but I mostly see D-TV dishes. Where I'm at its about 50/50 what people use.

Don't know why ppl are being dicks about the satellite performance ... ppl aren't choosing that over a GB fibre connection, they're doing it because they don't have better options.

There is another option that is becoming more popular and available. I don't know much about it, but it's a line-of-sight service that does have a lower latency than satellite, along with better bandwidth and higher usage caps and it's a lot cheaper. I know some ppl in a rural area who have gone to it from satellite. The big downside is that the tower would need to be in direct line of sight from your property. I think the range is like 5 miles but I don't remember for sure. In any case it may be worth doing a search.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post

Unlimited usage.
    I mean I can get my top specs and one digit ping if I test to the local data center, but that's worthless. Better test to one of the blizzard's data center locations. I know that for my server it's Frankfurt, and my ping goes up 5-10 times to there.