Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Ive been to an October Fest, in December, in America and Ive been to 4th of July parties, in september, in Germany.

I always thought "getting other peoples customs wrong" parties were kinda funny. Just dont bring someone from the actual country :>
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Deleted
    I've attended and hosted a few American themed parties.

https://www.feestartikelen.nl/catego...ten/usa/-/928/

https://jokershop.be/2735-amerikaans...ring-decoratie

http://www.fun-en-feest.nl/landen/fe...SAAEgJFbPD_BwE

Edit: For all your American themed party needs!
    Last edited by mmoc271e53bf39; 2017-11-14 at 02:50 PM.

Deleted
    I've had 2 of them when I was growing up.
    For the first we played beer pong got 2 kegs and a beer pump we ordered from the US.
    Was great fun.

2nd one we did the same a few years later.

Good fun, don't see why people would have an issue with it.

It's not a party but I recently moved to a small-ish french city and there's an "American shop" on the next street. They're selling only products and brands from the united states like Kraft's mac&chees, Aunt Jemima's pancake mix and strange, fluorescent drinks (?). It's the first time I've seen a shop like this but I guess the demand must be high enough.

people do cultural / country themed parties all over.. went to some in college. Irish themed is always big around a certain holiday.....
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

I tried getting the biggest clown to come to my USA party but he said he was already busy with the USA and tweeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbrownie View Post
    Edit: For all your American themed party needs!
    Why aren't there any guns for sale? D:
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2017-11-14 at 02:52 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Youre not imprisoned on the campus. You know you can go to a regular store a few blocks away? I guess you just like to do what everyone else does and not be different. Youre a conformist. I would serve milk in green solo cups instead of alcohol in red ones
    Today I learned Orlong also hates Red cups. The list is getting longer and longer. Or is it getting.. Orlonger?

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    So I was actually in the middle of making this thread last night when my computer died, and now it's in the shop. Sad times. So since I'm on my phone I won't be providing links as proof, but apparently in Europe people sometimes throw American themed parties, with burgers, the American flag and red/white/blue everything, red solo cups (they actually seem to specifically seek these out for this very purpose), Americana decorations, and all other kind of goofy quirky things we don't even really think about here in the states.

So here's my question to all my fellow non-American. MMO-C posters: is this really a common thing? If it is, then why? Of course there's an element of satire to it, but these parties don't seem to be pure mockery or mean-spirited, but for the life of me I can't figure out why this is a thing. It's both amusing and confusing to this American.
    Yes, there are. I was on a birthday party three weeks ago that was america themed. It was fun, they played a game where they set up paper cups(filled with beer) like bowling pins, and you had to throw a little ball into it, if you hit your target, the opposing team had to empty it. My friends basically said, it's an american drinking game, but they alos had this american themed stuff and food. A bit of a cliché but in no way mocking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post
    Why aren't there any guns for sale? D:
    Oh but there are!

https://www.carnavalsland.nl/carnava...eren-pistolen/

We like our guns fake though.

Probably still salty from losing the colonies.

Seems like it could be a thing, just not a fad or anything. I've thrown ridiculous themed parties before as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by allatar View Post
    Do you turn up, complain about the traffic on the motorway, moan about the weather, get shit-faced on piss-weak lager and throw up ?
    I threw a British colonial party, everyone had to wear a Torrie wig, yelling wasn't allowed, if you wanted to say something to more than a couple of people you had to ding a glass. The topic of anything American or Indian was strictly prohibited unless you spoke about it with disdain.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Yeah, I don't get what about the concept of red, plastic disposable cups is so baffling to Europeans. It's not hard to figure out: if you're having a party, it's way cheaper and simpler to just buy a whole bunch of the red solo cups - you can write your name on them, no one cares if they break or get lost or whatever (as opposed to glass), you can get them really cheap en masse so it's really the best option the larger the party or event, and you can do all kinds of crafts and tricks with them. Plus, they're recyclable.

Red solo cups didn't become a thing because Americans have a weird obsession with red or plastic. They became a thing because they're the cheapest, easiest to clean, most practical option to making sure a whole bunch of people's thirsts are quenched.
    No, we really do have a weird obsession with red plastic cups in particular. They're not just cups....they're more like; friends.

I'll let Mr. Keith explain:

Though for a serious answer. Some folks in other areas of the world probably have American themed parties for the very same reason an American who feels like throwing a themed party might choose to have a British, Irish, or a Japanese themed party. I am not sure themed parties are common with country themes anywhere though.
    Last edited by AcidicSyn; 2017-11-14 at 03:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Youre not imprisoned on the campus. You know you can go to a regular store a few blocks away? I guess you just like to do what everyone else does and not be different. Youre a conformist. I would serve milk in green solo cups instead of alcohol in red ones
    Why am I not shocked to see you missed the joke?