Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post

Correct me if I am wrong but what your post basically said, 2004 client as it is now is fine, most of the changes will be on server side. If this is what you meant, you are very far away from truth (but server side, there will be of course tons of work - so it would be on 2004 client, if they would be using it - they are not)
    I didn't say they will use the old client. I was just wondering where people are getting the "LUL 480p resolution", "doesn't work on modern OS" and "does not work on current DirectX" from, because it's exactly the opposite - I played on Win7 x64, 1440p, DX11 with the 1.12.1 client just fine, connecting to a private server.

And then you came, babbling something about a re-worked 64bit client.

Quote Originally Posted by globalist View Post
    I didn't say they will use the old client. I was just wondering where people are getting the "LUL 480p resolution", "doesn't work on modern OS" and "does not work on current DirectX" from, because it's exactly the opposite - I played on Win7 x64, 1440p, DX11 with the 1.12.1 client just fine, connecting to a private server.

And then you came, babbling something about a re-worked 64bit client.
    Well, yea. Sorry for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackeith View Post
    Battle.net should not be integrated in to the client if we are to get an authentic vanilla experience.
    Whether battle.net is integrated to the client or the other way around it's a safe bet that this will be done. It's how they manage accounts now and has zip to do with the play experience once you launch the game.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    You do realize it was the millenial base who played Classic when it was current right?
    Wrong. Millennials were born mid 1990's to mid 2000. 9 year olds (and younger) were NOT common to run into in Vanilla. A majority of the player base were early 20's at that time.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    Wrong. Millennials were born mid 1990's to mid 2000. 9 year olds (and younger) were NOT common to run into in Vanilla. A majority of the player base were early 20's at that time.
    Edit: reading comprehension check failed. THAT said: i’ve usually heard that some of the 80s were included in the millennial group. Wtf am i then?

EDIT2: Looking into it, it seems like gen Y (1981 - 1991) and gen Z (1991 - 2001) are considered Millenials, although there’s a ton of debate on the subject it seems. So it seems that a good portion of the playerbase would qualify then.
    Last edited by Projectmars; 2017-11-14 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Guys,

If anyone thinks Blizzard is going to change ANYTHING about vanilla for this "Classic" offering, they are completely delusional. They will have a small dedicated team that will do nothing but facilitate the rollout of already existing archived patches. Adding ANYTHING to vanilla would require a tremendous amount of work that they simply are not willing to invest.

While there are plenty of people asking for this and that... it isn't going to happen. They will follow the original patching timeline... the only thing that MAY be slightly different are hotpatches that fixed exploits... and perhaps not even those.

Vanilla is coming... and no amount of whining by the current millenial base is going to have Blizzard add sprinkles to an already perfect flavor of WoW.
    I agree with you so much so that I made this meme for everyone to enjoy

Enjoy your broken auction house then, I guess. Hope that over decade-old addon that fixed it is still out there somewhere to dig up or you'll have to build that yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Could you please explain in more detail which security issues would keep them from using the original client code? Also, feel free to elaborate on your "number of reasons".
    Unsafe opcodes, like for example gold sellers could literally spam create new characters, spawn them and start spamming. And fixing this on the server side is kinda impossible, as the client could end up crashing for normal players as the client-server communication is then not ideal.

Oh and tons of dupes (via portals, AH, bank, mail etc) due to the client's implementation.

... so yeah, there will be definetly some changes. There's no way that Blizzard will actually release the original 1.12.1 client. But really, almost no one expects this. When most people are talking about "pure" vanilla they mean, pure gameplay, graphics, UI etc. (and some would even keep the bugs... but here we're talking about all the rather silly bugs and not something completely gamebreaking and a potential threat)

And yeah, who knows what potential security risks are hidden in the original client.
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2017-11-14 at 07:30 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Projectmars View Post
    So people born in 1994 were in their 20s in 2004... which was ten years later.

Did you mean the 80s, by any chance?
    No...

OP suggested millennials were THE player base in vanilla. That is completely false. it was players in their early 20's that made up the playerbase (generation X).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    "There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years."
    Says a millennial.
    I know you people like to think millennial isn't a thing but it is. I have to deal with them all the damn time. Far less these days thank God.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    No...

OP suggested millennials were THE player base in vanilla. That is completely false. it was players in their early 20's that made up the playerbase (generation X).

- - - Updated - - -

Says a millennial.
    I know you people like to think millennial isn't a thing but it is. I have to deal with them all the damn time. Far less these days thank God.
    I agree, I have a hard time considering anyone born while Reagan was in office, or during the time the Challenger blew up a "millennial"

Battle.net should not be integrated in to the client if we are to get an authentic vanilla experience.

Authenticators are done on the login servers, not the game client or game server. The prompt to type in the code from the authenticator has been done on a 1.12.1 client by a private server, so I'm sure Blizz would manage.

I can't imagine that the Battle.net app would need any major modifications to work. You add a new game to it, with the required files. Then use whatever patching method they use for all the other applications on it, to update the client when need be.

Not sure what you mean by a change to their main data storage, I'd be keen to know more about that!

The API should (imo) be disabled for external use. Any addons available should be a precompiled list that is toggleable in-game. The list should be gathered by talking to the community about which of the vanilla addons that were available at the time, they would like to see added.

Speaking as a software developer, I can't see any world where Blizzard would build the new client from scratch.
    Of course Battle.net will be implemented... there is no shadow of a doubt on that.. they would never ship a Blizzard game without it being on the Bnet framework today. Also it needs support for authenticators and fixes for security holes and exploits at the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    I highly doubt this will be the case. The original client can't be used for a number of reasons, security being the main one. This means that they'll have to recreate vanilla most likely using the retail client since. Recreating 36 odd patches isn't really reasonable so what they'll probably do is create one version that is a good representation of vanilla and then unlock content as time passes, much like the method that private servers have used.
    This x 1,000,000

There is no way in hell they are going to recreate every single damned patch. It's unrealistic. I cannot believe anyone actually thinks that they will do this. Sure, want them to or have it on your wish list, but to actually think that they would. Oh man haha.

Could you please explain in more detail which security issues would keep them from using the original client code? Also, feel free to elaborate on your "number of reasons".
    Apparently you did not play in Vanilla or you would know the original code was extremely buggy. Random disconnects and being trapped under the world for several hours (plus just falling through the world on more than one occasion) are two I can name just off the top of my head.

Blizzard already stated that the code would have to be improved prior to launching a classic version specifically because of bugs.

An no, I'm not posting a link to where they said it. If you're that interested, go find it.
    You come from the greatest country in the world. Act like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    Of course Battle.net will be implemented... there is no shadow of a doubt on that.. they would never ship a Blizzard game without it being on the Bnet framework today. Also it needs support for authenticators and fixes for security holes and exploits at the least.
    Again, this x 1,000,000.

You will have battle.net integration with all of the bells and whistles. How can people believe that this won't be the case. It's like people live in some fantasy land. You have to be realistic, regardless of how butt hurt it might make you. Come to grips with it now and not when further details come out.
    Last edited by Tonkaden; 2017-11-14 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    This x 1,000,000

There is no way in hell they are going to recreate every single damned patch. It's unrealistic. I cannot believe anyone actually thinks that they will do this. Sure, want them to or have it on your wish list, but to actually think that they would. Oh man haha.
    There's a thing called version control which means you don't need to recreate anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Occam-OC View Post
    Apparently you did not play in Vanilla or you would know the original code was extremely buggy. Random disconnects and being trapped under the world for several hours (plus just falling through the world on more than one occasion) are two I can name just off the top of my head.

Blizzard already stated that the code would have to be improved prior to launching a classic version specifically because of bugs.

An no, I'm not posting a link to where they said it. If you're that interested, go find it.
    I have never said the original client wouldn't be updated. I just don't believe they want to go through the immense amount of changes needed to use the new client.

Meh... It doesn't matter what they do, people are going to whine anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    - Server stability issues. They already said they don't want to recreate the launch event. Where you couldn't get on the servers for days and when you did get on you lost connection or the lag made the game so unplayable you literally felt like you were watching paint dry.
    It will be interesting to see their solution for that. I think it could go one of three ways:

1. A bunch of smaller realms.

2. A mega-realm by region with shards.

3. A bunch of smaller realms but all connected from the get-go which is much more like 2 than 1.

I would personally prefer smaller realms (analogy to small towns) but foresee that the optimists here who believe a 12-year old iteration of the game will keep growing are going to be wrong. Which will be a problem for smaller realms.

Mega-realms (big cities), even without sharding, aren't very personal though. So interesting to see how that goes.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Whether battle.net is integrated to the client or the other way around it's a safe bet that this will be done. It's how they manage accounts now and has zip to do with the play experience once you launch the game.
    Yeah I've never contradicted it's going to be a game listed on the battle.net client, and launched from there. But I sincerely hope they do not implement any battle.net functionality in to the actual client launched. You can have your opinion that it doesn't alter your play experience, but it would for me, and as I am after an authentic Classic experience, I hope they don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Enjoy your broken auction house then, I guess. Hope that over decade-old addon that fixed it is still out there somewhere to dig up or you'll have to build that yourself.
    Just like Blizzard has every single build of WoW archived, so it is you can find every iteration of most every addon out there.

Let's not forget that people will likely start crafting "new" addons for Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Just like Blizzard has every single build of WoW archived, so it is you can find every iteration of most every addon out there.

Let's not forget that people will likely start crafting "new" addons for Vanilla.
    Blizzard will most certainly limit what you can do with addons. They will "ban" or restrict a lot of new ones that totally trivialize the game.