Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Vanilla can be updated and still feel like 1.12

I post the example constantly and it is ignored. Oldschool Runescape is an old outdated version of the runescape game with a bigger community and populatiom than the most current version, Runescape 3.

Let that sink in.

They went back to their 2007 model of the game and let players enjoy the old version. The overwhleming response got them a real dev team and new content, model updates, and animations.

The surprising part? The "new content" was not things that were added in runescape 3, but rather new unique content only in oldschool runescape (yes the old version has new content that was never added to or seen in runescape 3).

So why cant Vanilla follow this? Have the bug fixes from the prepatch of TBC, let players enjoy it for a year then introduce new concepts. Instead of TBC being released, they could just add an entirely new raid that IS NOT in current WoW with gear so that specs we do not see gear for in pve (ret pally etc) can have new tier gear without breaking the game.

Updated models and animations would also be just as incredible without changing gameplay experience.

Just open your mind and think about this for a moment. It is not for everyone but cmon, people saying nope you asked for vanilla you get it with all the broken it had with it. Really? Why would they not improve it? If you are not interested voice your opinion to the current version; Please do not cloud the nice waters for us who truly want to dive in.
    Last edited by zesilo; 2017-11-14 at 09:57 PM.

Reminds me of a post I made elsewhere:

"This isn't a reality. This is a dream. I was talking with my friends and we just kept bouncing off each other, and we ended up with an alternate timeline that we'd like to live in.

Blizzard releases Classic wow, and it's a hit. Not only do a lot of current subscribers join, a lot of subs return to the game. In something of a surprise, sub numbers stay strong after the first six months. There aren't a lot of tourists, people are on Classic to stay.

The developers don't screw it up. They release patches and bug fixes without removing core pieces of the vanilla experience, nor adding in content that will ruin things (LFR, flying, etc.).

Three years later, blizzard announces an expansion. Everybody expects them to move the Classic servers through into Burning Crusade. But no! Blizzard announces a NEW expansion for the Classic servers. Learning from past mistakes, they create new content and carry forward an entirely new story without trampling on their legacy. In the same way that movie franchises reboot stories, Blizzard reboots an MMO.

Classic WoW becomes WoW 2."

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I’d be ok with this take wow in a different direction. Seems unlikely though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shaidyn, YES YES YES! I fully agree with everything you said. You see the same potential as I do

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Oh Jesus is this how we end up with wow alternate universes.

Quote Originally Posted by shaidyn View Post

"This isn't a reality. This is a dream. I was talking with my friends and we just kept bouncing off each other, and we ended up with an alternate timeline that we'd like to live in.

Blizzard releases Classic wow, and it's a hit. Not only do a lot of current subscribers join, a lot of subs return to the game. In something of a surprise, sub numbers stay strong after the first six months. There aren't a lot of tourists, people are on Classic to stay.

The developers don't screw it up. They release patches and bug fixes without removing core pieces of the vanilla experience, nor adding in content that will ruin things (LFR, flying, etc.).

Three years later, blizzard announces an expansion. Everybody expects them to move the Classic servers through into Burning Crusade. But no! Blizzard announces a NEW expansion for the Classic servers. Learning from past mistakes, they create new content and carry forward an entirely new story without trampling on their legacy. In the same way that movie franchises reboot stories, Blizzard reboots an MMO.

This is exactly what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by zesilo View Post
    Shaidyn, YES YES YES! I fully agree with everything you said. You see the same potential as I do
    Holy shit..it is so refreshing to see more people are seeing things like I do.
    Last edited by ManiaCCC; 2017-11-14 at 10:11 PM.

Count me in, I would fully support this as I think TBC onwards is already in a direction I don't like. (Flying)
    You guys are not alone, a friend of mine feels the same. We want Classic, and then more of it.
    Last edited by Qnubi; 2017-11-14 at 10:12 PM.

Deleted
    I post the example constantly and it is ignored. Oldschool Runescape is an old outdated version of the runescape game with a bigger community and populatiom than the most current version, Runescape 3.

Let that sink in.

They went back to their 2007 model of the game and let players enjoy the old version. The overwhleming response got them a real dev team and new content, model updates, and animations.

The surprising part? The "new content" was not things that were added in runescape 3, but rather new unique content only in oldschool runescape (yes the old version has new content that was never added to or seen in runescape 3).

So why cant Vanilla follow this? Have the bug fixes from the prepatch of TBC, let players enjoy it for a year then introduce new concepts. Instead of TBC being released, they could just add an entirely new raid that IS NOT in current WoW with gear so that specs we do not see gear for in pve (ret pally etc) can have new tier gear without breaking the game.

Updated models and animations would also be just as incredible without changing gameplay experience.

Just open your mind and think about this for a moment. It is not for everyone but cmon, people saying nope you asked for vanilla you get it with all the broken it had with it. Really? Why would they not improve it? If you are not interested voice your opinion to the current version; Please do not cloud the nice waters for us who truly want to dive in.
    I completely agree with your open minded approach and I too on this forum have felt in a massive minority with that. Just saying chin up, you're not alone!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. This is how we get WoW 2.0.

I hope this is the direction Blizzard takes.

Use Classic to "reboot" the series, and start a new story arch.

I posted this idea a few days ago.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...0#post47936170
    Push it to the limit

#NoCollusion
    "The Special Counsel did not find that the Trump campaign, or anyone associated with it, conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in these efforts, despite multiple. offers from Russian-affiliated individuals to assist the Trump campaign."

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, I'll have to pass on that.

Sorry, but that would basically be an alternate timeline. Resources wasted on rebuilding on outdated content because people didn't like the path of the leading franchise. And with the many QoL wishes, you would still scream at the power of nostalgia later on.

If one were to see WoW 2, then at least push the story more forward instead of back.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

maybe cuz new models and spell animations are trash?

I'm amused at how almost all of the folks wanting this WoW 2.0 based off vanilla make it a point to single out flying as this unholy evil that ruined WoW. But that's a topic that's being beat beyond death in other threads ongoing on this forum.

I don't think people looking forward to new content in classic WoW is a good thing. We've got official Blizzard from vanilla....let's celebrate that. Honestly that's going to keep a lot of people busy for many years. Naxx40 was no joke even for hardcore raiders. It will be a very long time before the average player runs out of things to do.

Lol, give them a finger, they'll take the whole arm...

If you want progression past Classic, play the game as it's been made and intended to play since TBC rolled out and forward, or seek out an MMORPG that fits your "high" standards but is still moving forwards with new content. The Vanilla crowd has been asking for their vastly superior 100% always engaging and new iteration and servers perpetually stuck on it for years, but now when it's happening there's suddenly voices going "... But could you perhaps reboot the game for us too?"...

Guess what: If they moved past Classic with new content, 10 years down the line we'd once again have the "can haz Classic only servers plz??"-crap seeing as how no matter what they did, they'd make that new content by 2017+ standards.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-11-14 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I'm amused at how almost all of the folks wanting this WoW 2.0 based off vanilla make it a point to single out flying as this unholy evil that ruined WoW. But that's a topic that's being beat beyond death in other threads ongoing on this forum.
    It didn't ruin WoW. But it did ruin one part of the wow I enjoyed the most. WPvP.

But I think there are ways how to keep flying and not ruin world pvp altogether. But i don't believe this is the right thread to talk about these.

Lol, give them a finger, they'll take the whole arm...

If you want progression past Classic, play the game as it's been made and intended to play since TBC rolled out and forward, or seek out an MMORPG that fits your "high" standards but is still moving forwards with new content. The Vanilla crowd has been asking for their vastly superior 100% always engaging and new iteration and servers perpetually stuck on it for years, but now when it's happening there's suddenly voices going "... But could you perhaps reboot the game for us too?"...
    It's a dream scenario buddy. Don't get angry. We know there is close to zero chance this ever happening. But we can dream, can't we?

Quote Originally Posted by shaidyn View Post

I would love this!
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

I play largely for the lore. The last thing I personally want is to have to play two MMOs, especially if one is in the style of vanilla. If it's not canon, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    You think Blizzard is going to release competing MMO's in a market that is not exactly great right now. Not only that, but you think they are going to release one of them with ideas fresh from 2004? I would kindly tell you not to get your hopes up.
    I didn't say what I think. I said what I would want. You not being able to differentiate between what I want or what I think makes me not want to participate with you in a discussion because I wrote 2 simple sentences that were already too hard to comprehend for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    You think Blizzard is going to release competing MMO's in a market that is not exactly great right now. Not only that, but you think they are going to release one of them with ideas fresh from 2004? I would kindly tell you not to get your hopes up.
    There was a recent interview with Naoki Yoshida (director for Final Fantasy 14) where he was asked about the idea of SE having another MMO in the works, and his response was to the effect of "I don't see the point of having 2 MMOs from the same company", and he cites Blizzard's Project Titan as being something of an example of why it hasn't worked, going in line with your statement here of "why would they release a game to compete with their own?".

Sure, some pointed out the fact that FF11 was (and still is) running, but by the time FF14 came out, 11 was already starting to see light at the end of the tunnel, and as far as I know, it no longer gets any sort of significant updates. They wrapped the main story of the game a couple of years ago.

I somehow doubt WoW Classic will serve as competition to current WoW due to the likelyhood it'll be tied to having a subscription to current WoW. Would be interesting to see if they disallow the option to pay via the token, though...I mean hey, we're going for vanilla-like, right?

Let that sink in.

And people will say the new content suck and TBC was better. Lol.