Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Updated Race Selection Icons on Character Creation

Taken from the WoW sub-reddit.

Truly, the end of an era.

Personally I like the original icons. Call it nostalgia, however, I think a step in the right direction. Perhaps next they will update icons for spells and abilities.
    Last edited by MechaCThun; 2017-11-14 at 08:26 PM.

Why have their put shitty goblins higher in the list ? :O

10+ Year Old Account
    But why?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    But why?

The new digital painting intern needed something to do
    Just preface all my posts with "Well, I didn't read the thread, but..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi
    You don't need to see any identification.
    This isn't the user you're looking for.
    Move along.
    Fixed a bug allowing Reaper to Shadow Step to unintended locations
    Minor text fixes

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Why have their put shitty goblins higher in the list ? :O
    back in Cata alpha they were also higher than blood elf on the list, this was back then due to the goblin race actually being older than the BC races (it had an input in the back in vanilla for the NPC goblins in the ChrRaces DB, the same one that leaked 4 allied races ) not sure why that would revert back, however

It is just about the first thing new players would see and the quality of the old icons speaks for itself

And I can’t imagine it took long to do.

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    back in Cata alpha they were also higher than blood elf on the list, this was back then due to the goblin race actually being older than the BC races (it had an input in the back in vanilla for the NPC goblins in the ChrRaces DB, the same one that leaked 4 allied races ) not sure why that would revert back, however
    Interesting trivia, thanks. So far they are alligned by the way they've been released, so it's kinda strange that they now "oppose" the draenei.

I thought it was one of those ripoff Chinese mobile MMOs.

No need for that, they are just icons and don't have to resemble the remodeled races in every single detail. And I don't even think this is the way an icon should be made - cut out from a screenshot of the actual race, edited a bit and presented as an icon. They are not even proportionally consistent to each other (while in the original ones only the draenei is significantly bigger than the others). I hope this is not real.

But on the other hand, yeah, the Character creation definitely deserves an update. And honestly, it should be a big one. They could also make new backgrounds for the Character list screen instead of the basic "racial" ones. These would change depending on which zone the character is currently in. Yeah, it would need some work and there are dozens locations in the game atm., but from I have seen, those backgrounds are not that hard to make. They are just 2D illusions with some static 3D assets. I would love to see that happen.
    Last edited by Big Mama; 2017-11-14 at 09:17 PM.

Why did they swap blood elves and goblins?

When you can replace the icons with those that represent actual ingame models, while also looking better than the old pictures, it is probably best to do so.

Overall, not something I'd consider particularly noteworthy. I don't think I would have noticed it, if not pointed out.

Deleted
    The old icons may be low res, but they have so much more character then the new ones. Yeah, HQ icons would be nice, but why can't you just repaint the originals instead of shoving cropped in-game models as race icons?

Also, swapping goblins with blood elves makes no sense to me. If you want to reposition them in some reasonable way, just do it based on the in-game conflicts:
    Humans - Orcs
    Dwarfs - Trolls
    Night Elves - Tauren
    Draenei - Blood Elves
    Gnomes - Goblins
    Worgen - Undead

Quote Originally Posted by Conry View Post
    The old icons may be low res, but they have so much more character then the new ones. Yeah, HQ icons would be nice, but why can't you just repaint the originals instead of shoving cropped in-game models as race icons?
    Style-wise it's just an honest representation and probably better for newbies. I'm not sure if the comic abstraction layer and harkening back to WC is still neccessary. Ultimately it's utterly inconsequential for playing characters.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Style-wise it's just an honest representation and probably better for newbies. I'm not sure if the comic abstraction layer and harkening back to WC is still neccessary. Ultimately it's utterly inconsequential for playing characters.
    Is it a better representation of the models? Of course, these ARE the models. Is it a better representation of "race fantasy"? Definitely not. Just look at Night Elves, Gnomes and Undead, these are probably the worst offenders.

Is it a better representation of the models? Of course, these ARE the models. Is it a better representation of "race fantasy"? Definitely not. Just look at Night Elves, Gnomes and Undead, these are probably the worst offenders.
    People usually first care about how they look, race fantasy comes second ..or not at all for many.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really think it's somehow a better representation of the race in some "Fantasy" way.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Never forget original TBC race icons

Hint: fem belf icon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    But why?

Cus the ones we have are low res.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdrop View Post
    Why did they swap blood elves and goblins?
    Because no Cataclysm or Burning Crusade exist anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Night elf wtf, ugly