Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Raid tier sets being removed in BfA confirmed

From a Gameinformer interview with Ion:

"With sets and cosmetic appearances we're always trying new things. We're currently not planning on carrying forward traditional raid class sets," says Hazzikostas. “So we're going to have artwise, the gear will be more heavily themed from the place it comes. There's more customization we want to express through the new Azerite system. I think class sets have changed a lot over a years of World of Warcraft. Back in the day, these 8 piece sets you would put together over the course of 6 to 8 months raiding a zone, where now the smaller sets and so many more sources of gear, it's very common to get 2 or 4 pieces at the start of a tier and it actually kind of locks down those character slots, it limits your choices. It feels like more of a drawback than a strength at this point."

Options from these sets, like enhancing certain abilities, will be rolled into how the Azerite system works so that players can customize around their strengths.

Opinions?

Have a link for the interview?
    SWTOR Friend Referral code: http://www.swtor.com/r/DzSdz8
    (You get free stuff, I get free stuff, win/win!)

This is unbelievable. What in the world is the incentive to raid now? Let's just give everyone and their grandma raid equivalent gear. "But raiders still have tier bonuses!" lol we'll just remove them. What a crock or worthlessness....

Azurite gear can’t Titanforge so mythic raiding will provide the best gear available 100% of the time now. (And possibly very high end M+ depending on what they do with its rewards)

That is actually the single worst thing i have ever fucking read in my entire WOW playing career. What an utter lack of foresight and enthusiasm. Im downright appalled by the lack of insight into why raiding is fun and engaging. Why even have gear? Any argument for that, is an argument for tier-sets. The fact that tiers have gotten so god damn stale, must be because of this change.
    You can now expect to never ever have innovative new ways of playing based on gear and tiers coming in BfA, its fucking god damn sad. Sadly, its hardly surprising, with the utter lack of understanding shown in the latest tier designs, its hardly a stretch to imagine that they just cant be bothered anymore. What a fucking cop-out blizzard you utter mongs.

that's a shocker, this will be controversial

I kind of agree. Tier sets lock you in to those pieces. It is a fucking joke to get gear that is superior then your tier item but you can't use it because it breaks the set. Maybe a compromise being all items from a tier contribute to the bonus, not just the current 6 pieces.

I raid to have fun with my friends. If this triggers you maybe you should have a look at your priorities and have a think about why you are getting so angry about a video game. It isn't normal or healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

In what world does taking things away "seem fun"?

This is a trend I'm seeing in video game development that I'm very confused by.

"You think you want tier set bonuses, but you don't. Trust us." <--- Blizzard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by App View Post
    This is unbelievable. What in the world is the incentive to raid now? Let's just give everyone and their grandma raid equivalent gear. "But raiders still have tier bonuses!" lol we'll just remove them. What a crock or worthlessness....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gum View Post
    That is actually the single worst thing i have ever fucking read in my entire WOW playing career. What an utter lack of foresight and enthusiasm. Im downright appalled by the lack of insight into why raiding is fun and engaging. Why even have gear? Any argument for that, is an argument for tier-sets. The fact that tiers have gotten so god damn stale, must be because of this change.
    You can now expect to never ever have innovative new ways of playing based on gear and tiers coming in BfA, its fucking god damn sad. Sadly, its hardly surprising, with the utter lack of understanding shown in the latest tier designs, its hardly a stretch to imagine that they just cant be bothered anymore. What a fucking cop-out blizzard you utter mongs.
    Where did he say... anything like that?

Talk about reading a lot into a paragraph basically saying the visual style of raid gear would change, that you'll have more control over the stats on individual pieces, and that tier bonuses wont be a thing.

I swear some people are just itching for reasons to be angry and disappointed.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds about right, especially with all that spin to make it seem to be about a benefit to the player. The bland set bonuses without an ounce of creativity to them says more about why they're being removed than any statement Blizzard could release.

Oh my god, its going to be like Guild Wars 2 now! Nuuuuu! >.< soon they will be charging us for mog sets, and loot boxes!

0 Reason to raid, may as well just make 5 man guilds and spam M+ for the best gear. Watch, next announcement will be Mythic raiding gear is the same iLvl as the top M+.

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad I'm done with this game

10+ Year Old Account
    how much will the new cosmetic sets cost in the cash shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Where did he say... anything like that?

Talk about reading a lot into a paragraph basically saying the visual style of raid gear would change, that you'll have more control over the stats on individual pieces, and that tier bonuses wont be a thing.

I swear some people are just itching for reasons to be angry and disappointed.
    The tier bonuses are the thing i care about you monkey, come the fuck on. Who cares what stats are on the items themselves. This is litteraly a casualization of the "gear is a number, the higher one wins". If you cannot fathom that, i guess its for you they do this. Jesus crist man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I asked in the other thread, how hard is it to make tier set bonuses better than the last tier?

Feels like a excuse for them to make less armor models...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gum View Post
    The tier bonuses are the thing i care about you monkey, come the fuck on. Who cares what stats are on the items themselves. This is litteraly a casualization of the "gear is a number, the higher one wins". If you cannot fathom that, i guess its for you they do this. Jesus crist man.
    Man, just like I said... people itching for any reason to be angry.

Personally I don't like gimping my overall gear because I'm clinging to the hope that I'll get that four piece bonus. Maybe you luck into your pieces easily. Maybe you like having a nice and easy path laid out for you where it's simply a matter of "get tier pieces, turn off brain, smash boss." Some of us prefer to have to take a nuanced look at assembling our character's gear and balancing stats.

See? I can be needlessly pissy too.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Oh, another one of those "less is more fun" arguments from Blizzard. What a bummer.

I guess this effectively removes work from their hands, since they will now just need to create a set for each armor type and be done with it, without the need of designing appereances and bonus set specific for each class.

I'm waiting for when they'll announce class sets in the store shortly after BFA launches.

Wow, I didn't know Blizzard could be so vindictive because of the way people were using the system.