Thread: Group Finder

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicedspam View Post
    I think I would be okay with group finder being included in Classic. Not the random dungeon finder queue. What's the difference in spamming chat and just listing your group.
    The main difference is that you have to stay within the city to stay within the main chat channels, which is incredibly annoying since you can't go out into the world and do anything. Listing your group in group finder allows you to go out into the world and play the game while you're waiting for a group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Discord Dungeon servers are gonna be a thing guys.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    You have group finder, it's called guild, general and trade chat.
    1) Your guild doesn't always want or need to run the same thing as you so it's not 100% reliable, especially while leveling.
    2) For general chat to be useful you need to be inside the city so as to ensure you are "advertising" to the largest group of people. Trade chat requires you to be in a city too. Being forced to be in the city means you can't be out in the world while you're looking for the group, finding a group takes time, so you're being forced to essentially waste time in the city doing nothing for however long it takes you to find your group...which can take 30+ minutes in some cases. Which is ridiculous.

I'll admit, being forced to hang out in cities among everyone else is what forced the social interaction we all look back on favorably, but I don't want to "waste" time in the city when what I want to be doing is actually playing the game. Otherwise it's just a glorified, pay to use, chat room.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsumaki View Post
    Group Finder is your /2 or your /1, your friends and your guildmates

GO PLAY FUCKIN RETAIL
    No, please don't use /2 or /1.
    Use /5, the ACTUAL lookingforgroup-channel. (or /4 if you're not in worldDefense for some reason)

15+ Year Old Account
    Iirc, the LFG channel was active in all zones, although I remember it being notorious for nonsense as opposed to actual group finding, which was often done in /trade. Does anyone else remember this? In the barrens it was as lively as general chat, but it was 11 years ago for me, so I may not be remembering it 100%.

But there is our tool, in game and ready to go.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    Iirc, the LFG channel was active in all zones, although I remember it being notorious for nonsense as opposed to actual group finding, which was often done in /trade. Does anyone else remember this? In the barrens it was as lively as general chat, but it was 11 years ago for me, so I may not be remembering it 100%.

But there is our tool, in game and ready to go.
    Might depend on the server? I mean, I have exceedingly few screenshots saved from the time. Like, really few. And of those few, those from cities (the LFG channel was zone specific) was always very, very active with people trying to find a group for things, little other things

(yes, my ui was terrible, yes, i played on an RPpvp server and used flagRSP, yes i thought I was cool, yes I got rank 6 at that level, and yes my FPS was terrible)
    But the LFG channel was still the LFG channel and active.
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...oat/Honour.jpg
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...at/wakkaui.jpg

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    There were no world channels in actual Classic. Spamming the same sentence 40 times is not player interaction either.

Stop thinking with your nostalgia and start objectively examining the systems as they were.
    Pugging was among the worst things about Classic and its solution came in its infancy with the ZG patch. Even Blizzard in 2005 knew this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    god i love how stubbron you people are to ignore simple fact that everyone playing on this server will just use either addons or discord or openraid to farm groups

you wont have this amazing social interaction aka spaming trade anyway
    Global chat channels are alive and well on private vanilla realms, and they will too in classic if we dont implement the cancerous shit that is LFD-tool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    1) Your guild doesn't always want or need to run the same thing as you so it's not 100% reliable, especially while leveling.
    2) For general chat to be useful you need to be inside the city so as to ensure you are "advertising" to the largest group of people. Trade chat requires you to be in a city too. Being forced to be in the city means you can't be out in the world while you're looking for the group, finding a group takes time, so you're being forced to essentially waste time in the city doing nothing for however long it takes you to find your group...which can take 30+ minutes in some cases. Which is ridiculous.

I'll admit, being forced to hang out in cities among everyone else is what forced the social interaction we all look back on favorably, but I don't want to "waste" time in the city when what I want to be doing is actually playing the game. Otherwise it's just a glorified, pay to use, chat room.
    I know all this, this is why my comment was as it was.

And people already call it a glorified lobby game due to people slacking around with LFG/LFR and group finder.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    lfg tool is one of whorst things that ever happend to game where social aspect was big deal
    Social aspect was never a big deal. Having to write your entire resume to be invited to a dungeon you wouldn't be speaking in anyway is not a social aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    Global chat channels are alive and well on private vanilla realms, and they will too in classic if we dont implement the cancerous shit that is LFD-tool.
    VQueue will be awesome and trve to Vanilla.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsumaki View Post
    Group Finder is your /2 or your /1, your friends and your guildmates

GO PLAY FUCKIN RETAIL
    Or play 1.3? Or 1.5? Look it up, it is a classic feature

LFG will not be added, as it allows you to port to dungeons and make no social connections in the group.
    Its one of the worst additions the game has ever seen and the reason M0s and Mythic+ are not using it is because they understand you can not breed a proper atmosphere when you get sucked out of the world like that right into a dungeon with random people who can be replaced instantly.
    You are either confused or attempting unsuccessfully to be pedantic. What everyone calls "LFG" doesn't port you and I use "LFG" for mythic (mostly keystone) dungeons all the time. The thing in the game is called "Group Finder" and for PvE you have the options of "Dungeon Finder" (what normal people call LFD), "Raid Finder" (LFR) and "Premade Groups" (LFG). What you are talking about applies to LFD, not LFG. You even quote someone later on in your post who says "this thread isn't even a page long and people are already confusing LFG with LFD/LFR", and yet it still goes straight over your head. LFG is a tool for people to post groups they're forming and allow people to apply for spots in those groups. It does not port anyone and it does not randomly replace people unless you repost the group with at least one open spot and (stupidly) explicity choose to auto-accept applicants.

Anyway, as has been pointed out by others, there will be a LFG tool, whether it's Blizzard's or a 3rd party's. If you don't like it you don't have to use it and you are perfectly free to use trade chat just like most people did back then. If they changed the game so much to disallow the use of such an add-on, it wouldn't be vanilla now would it? They certainly were not blocking such things back in 2004-2006 so they can't now.

There were no world channels in actual Classic. Spamming the same sentence 40 times is not player interaction either.

Stop thinking with your nostalgia and start objectively examining the systems as they were.
    Pugging was among the worst things about Classic and its solution came in its infancy with the ZG patch. Even Blizzard in 2005 knew this.
    I am speaking objectively. Also, I'm the fuck not talking about /world, I am talking about channels that were for the general population and their ability to communicate. Think General, Local Defense and Trade. Have a bit of charity. Regardless, a world channel is a thing that will certainly arise given the current culture and only strengthens my point.

It is important to see who is actively looking, get exposure and involvement to and from them. Poping yourself in an LFG tool is passive. Speaking is active. Seeing these people's names over and over, even if it irritates you, is community building, immersive, and procedurally generates emotional involvement and attachment to the persistent world.

Stop being so bitter. Pugging was and is great. And citing things "Blizzard knew in 2005" isn't really valid. Things they knew in 2005 were part of what made the catastrophe that is 2017.
    GM of <Invictus>
    Co-Founder of www.classicwow.live
    Co-Author of the Navak & Egregious 1-60 Horde & Alliance Leveling Guide
    Discord: Egregious#7439
    Twitch
    YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Dergiab View Post
    VQueue will be awesome and trve to Vanilla.
    The Vqueue mod works a lot like the lfd tool it is kind of amazing to use it works even if no one else has the mod and are just using the chat channels.But if others do have it can work exactly like the premade dungeon finder in live. You can set groups see who is looking for a group what group needs tank/dps/heals ect. It isn't just for dungeons either I have seen it get used for raids and premade bgs. The tool is already going to be there whether blizz adds it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    Anyway, as has been pointed out by others, there will be a LFG tool, whether it's Blizzard's or a 3rd party's. If you don't like it you don't have to use it and you are perfectly free to use trade chat just like most people did back then. If they changed the game so much to disallow the use of such an add-on, it wouldn't be vanilla now would it? They certainly were not blocking such things back in 2004-2006 so they can't now.
    They definitely will be blocking things that they didn't back then. They will block anything that they removed in the lifetime of the game. No more auto heal addons, no more auto decurse addons. No more of any of that shit. Break it all.

A group finder seems fine, if blizz doesn't implement it, itll go third party addon in no time.

If anyone is unclear of the OP's intent, They're not saying LFD random queue, they're saying the pre-made group system which would streamline finding people a little bit, I'd be okay with it, but any changes can make people revolt and try to stay on private servers.

Quote Originally Posted by oland138 View Post
    I don't think it will solve the problem of only having one tank class. With that said, maybe with more knowledge of the game, more people will be rolling warriors.
    Warriors WILL be the most played class by far, the problem will be that 98% of them will be idiots and don't know how to tank or won't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    They definitely will be blocking things that they didn't back then. They will block anything that they removed in the lifetime of the game. No more auto heal addons, no more auto decurse addons. No more of any of that shit. Break it all.
    I hope they break those fucking damage meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    So you're saying they won't be very true to the original game? And this isn't a guess on your part, it's a fact that you know? LOL

For many people, saying "definitely" really means "I'm pulling this out of my ass but I really want you to believe me ... PLEEEEEEEAAAAASSSSEEE!" It really doesn't make you sound more credible.