Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quality changes indeed

I'm assuming the new ones are easier to produce since they're basically just screenshots of the models with little touch ups. This could mean they are taking steps to make adding races easier. Maybe they plan to add a lot of new races.

It could also mean that they just didn't like the old ones.
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    -Yarma

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It doesn't have that much character in them, don't overplay it.
    Yes, it does. At least they are made properly as the icons should be. And not edited from the screenshot of an actual ingame 3D model - that's most definitely the way an icon shouldn't be made.

Second Dwarves rarely have issues with the trolls except maybe their starting zone.
    Yeah, my Troll shaman chills at this pub with his Dwarf buddies all the time.

Night Elves don't quarrel with the Tauren either.
    I don't think this strictly has to be about the one on one conflict. I think it's more about those races being equivalents to each other. And in many ways, Taurens are the Horde opposite of the Alliance Night elves.

Draenei Blood Elves might of been a thing in BC but not anymore.
    The only thing I can agree with. There hasn't been any significant conflict between these two races since BC, well any other than the faction war, but again I do think they are connected since both of them were added during the same expansion.
    Last edited by Big Mama; 2017-11-15 at 09:58 AM.

They replaced low-res 2D artwork with slightly photoshoped screenshots of the model. It wasn't good before, it isn't good now.

Why couldn't they use higher resolution versions of the original artwork, or just brand new HD 2D artwork? There are thousands of great pieces for every race and gender out there.

I like the old ones better, to be frank. The new ones are just paintovers of the new models and look kinda - I don't know. Cheap?

Rip nostalgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Why have their put shitty goblins higher in the list ? :O
    Maybe they're secretly hoping the reason 30% of Horde players play Blood Elves is just because they were the 5th choice on the list

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it does. At least they are made properly as the icons should be. And not edited from the screenshot of an actual ingame 3D model - that's most definitely the way an icon shouldn't be made.
    At best I'll come to the middle and be ok with a high rez version of the older ones from 2004. Otherwise, I won't care too much.

Yeah, my Troll shaman chills at this pub with his Dwarf buddies all the time.
    Bad voodoo mon, no seriously unless something happens in BFA, the Dwarves fighting with Trolls is like rare.
    I don't think this strictly has to be about the one on one conflict. I think it's more about those races being equivalents to each other. And in many ways, Taurens are the Horde opposite of the Alliance Night elves.
    If there's any connection to give it's they are the Druid Race of each faction that most people identify with

The only thing I can agree with. There hasn't been any significant conflict between these two races since BC, well any other than the faction war, but again I do think they are connected since both of them were added during the same expansion.
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind if they stayed in the same spot, but really the conflict ended in BC. (Thanks Velen!)
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, a company cant just google a photo then copy/paste it to use for their business without a care in the world like you do at home.
    And they couldn't ask the artists like they've always done for loading screens.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    And they couldn't ask the artists like they've always done for loading screens.
    They totally could.

The question is - is this a priority? Is this something that matters? What's the gain?

I'm guessing here, as we all are, but with the current/old portraits, the issues are:

A) They look kind of low-fi and are inconsistent with each other in tone and style.

B) They don't reflect what the races actually look like.

C) Putting in new portraits, like, say, for a bunch Allied Races, that stylistically match the existing ones requires getting a proper 2D artist, not someone of about my competence level with Photoshop. (I mean, I've got a Fine Art A-Level but...).

With the new portraits, all these problems are solved, but another is introduced:

1) They're kind of bland.

So then it's a question of time/cost. They could, and still might either not change them, or put in better ones. But is it worth it? They're about to need a whole bunch more race portraits, and potentially indefinitely more if they keep adding Allied Races (WoW have a COMPLETELY NUTS number of races available after Legion, just with the known ones!).

If they get their top 2D artist on it, then every time they want to add a new race, they have to get him back on that, make sure it all matches up, looks great and so on. Could they do that? Yes? Is it a reasonable and sensible use of resources? That's really for Blizzard to decide. I'd say "Maybe?" myself. I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    That's a whole lot of trouble for an "issue" that's literally irrelevant in every way, shape, and form.
    Sure, they could have left the portraits like before and nobody would have complained*.

They decided they were worth changing.

The least they could do is changing them for the better, not just a different kind of bad.

*Someone would have, this is WoW after all.

7+ Year Old Account
    The gnome looks weird.

And ye, i prefer the old artwork over the portraits.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    The question is - is this a priority? Is this something that matters? What's the gain?
    That's what I'm asking myself about this whole thing. Why change the icons now? Were they not sufficient? Seems odd to change something you only see once per character.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    They replaced low-res 2D artwork with slightly photoshoped screenshots of the model. It wasn't good before, it isn't good now.

Why couldn't they use higher resolution versions of the original artwork, or just brand new HD 2D artwork? There are thousands of great pieces for every race and gender out there.
    Exactly, I liked artworks more.

Deleted
    I wish they change their mind and go for the higher resolution artworks instead. Its a big part of WoW and its UI style, same with stuff such as refreshing main continent loadscreens every expansion which has been unfortunately discontinued for some reason.

Why did humans go from a valiant champion to your neighbor, Chris, bout ta crack open a cold one? :/

One of the reasons why I liked the older icons better is that there is a variety of camera angles/head tilt/expressions that made the images look more dynamic.

All the new icons look like they were taken with every race in the same pose, without any facial expressions. You think with all the facial rigging they'd want to show off more dynamic expressions than just the blank -_- face.

Also, showing expressions & tilting the camera/head can convey the general vibe of a race. I don't feel any vibe at all when looking at these icons; they're just so generic.

Yea, I definitely prefer the older ones. Not only do the new ones look....ugly really, the others each had ......more there....Or something idk.

The nelf and troll look like shit, something wrong with the gnome. The only passable one is maybe the orc and even that's a stretch.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like the new ones at all. There's no heart and soul to them. Like other posters have said already. It looks like they just took a picture of them in one pose, no emotes and put it there.

I'll just go over the ones that bother me really fast. All of the new ones bother me but I'm just not sure how to describe it. Gnome is the first one that I can see. While they are not my favorite race it's an obvious huge change. Gnome is smirking at you. He's wearing goggles. It's obvious they are some kind of intelligent race. New picture.. he's looking to the side with a derp face. Draenei have this sort of proud look in their face and somehow their eyes give that confident stare. New one... yeah, no. Orcs, Tauren, Trolls look determined and pissed off. The new ones have plain looking derp faces.

I think the biggest problem is that they are transferring from art to in game graphics because "I think it looks better." This is not the case. They look awful. Have some new art for these races. There's tons of existing art already. Put them in for those icons.
    Last edited by Mister Cheese; 2017-11-16 at 12:24 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not nostalgia, the new ones just look fucking awful.