Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Never again. Even these days, ten years after, I can not force myself to play shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I know it was. The end point of Discipline. Which, no, is not a healing tree in vanilla. And that's exactly the point. The DPS this Priest creates through his tools for others' does show up on the damage meter, just not under his own name. What's so wrong about that?
    Not all Support classes come even close to being able to support through DPSing. Buffadins and Innervate bots are not fun specs, and there is no viability to play offensively to provide buffs in that fashion. You are literally being brought in the raid to provide buffs and rebuff every cycle. That is your gameplay.

I never did get to play Shadow Priest in Vanilla, so I can't speak to how that was. I only played Innervatebot, while my close friend played a Ret Pally and was forced into Blessings buffer back when it was 5m duration. That's all we really did in the raid. It wasn't even okay to heal if you weren't a dedicated healer because 'it messed with healbot'. That was not fun yet that is exactly what Vanilla had and what we WILL have if there are absolutely no balance changes made.

There were no other viable non-Healing roles for Paladins and Druids other than Buff/Support. Who intentionally wants to play a spec that isn't fun to play?
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2017-11-16 at 12:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Practically everyone I knew in classic playing support (other than priest usually) had the same story as you - they rolled druids to be druids of the claw, or paladins to be Uther with his big hammer, or sth like that. They were all extraordinarily disappointed in endgame PVE where they sat there spamming innervates or blessings and acting as subpar off-healers. I myself started as a tauren shaman hoping to tear stuff up with chain lightning like Thrall, and found PVE endgame expectations pretty shit for that class.

That's classic, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    Not all Support classes come even close to being able to support through DPSing. Buffadins and Innervate bots are not fun specs, and there is no viability to play offensively to provide buffs in that fashion. You are literally being brought in the raid to provide buffs and rebuff every cycle. That is your gameplay.

I never did get to play Shadow Priest in Vanilla, so I can't speak to how that was. I only played Innervatebot, while my close friend played a Ret Pally and was forced into Blessings buffer back when it was 5m duration. That's all we really did in the raid. It wasn't even okay to heal if you weren't a dedicated healer because 'it messed with healbot'. That was not fun yet that is exactly what Vanilla had and what we WILL have if there are absolutely no balance changes made.

There were no other viable non-Healing roles for Paladins and Druids other than Buff/Support. Who intentionally wants to play a spec that isn't fun to play?
    Why are you quoting me and arguing against things I have never said?
    I never said that the priest spec I mentioned contributed through dps, because they didn't. You cast rank 1 mind flay only to keep shadow weaving up to 5 stacks, you don't channel it. You boost others' dps.
    Same with paladin and their blessings, cleanses and very powerful utility. That is a very useful role for the group. I don't get why you don't think being invaluable to a group is "not fun". Because you don't show up on the damage meter? The damage meter is flawless, then. The things you have done for the raid has yielded increased damage done compared to if the slot was empty.

Shadow priest was terrible and you should never bring one to a raid. Debuff slots, mind blast threat and mana.
    I personally enjoyed raiding as a Druid, and I was hardly "useless outside of innervate". I was quite competitive, but this is mostly due to me being better at gearing myself (because I have always disliked tier gear I didn't go after it, so I didn't have to spend as much dkp to get my kit) for the role I had, I had plenty of +spell power and spirit, and I could heal and decurse for days.
    We also didn't have that restriction for healbot usage.
    So your circumstances are unfortunate, but not fully representative of the entire community.

Fun? Again. Why wouldn't they be fun? Support are fantastic. What more do you want from it? Certain things are the way they are, and support is one. Your experience is different from mine. I'm sorry. What would you have liked to have had instead? We had a druid who was feral specced and had lots of plus intellect (after talent tree revamp), and he healed, decurse, gave leader of the pack when nothing else to do, combat ressed, innervated. It looked fun. Was he a rawr-cat full time? No. But he was a hybrid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    So who were the good healers? Holy priests?
    Apparently, depends on the guild and what you want out of it. Hps? Yes.
    Others? Paladin had near infinite sustainability though.
    And druids with tonnes of spell power and downranking worked very well.
    And once you had t2, chain heal was good for shaman, not to mention the totems.

I played dps the all of vanilla. The whole damned time I wished I could switch to a healing priest and always be able to get a group. I fully plan on playing priest in classic.

Oh I'm rolling Troll Resto Shaman main and Undead alt Rogue again. Just the way I had it in 2006. Loved it.

Still roll that shaman. Elemental now though. Going resto again in bfa. Unfortunately my rogue is stuck as a Nelf at 100 right now. I say stuck because I don't want to bother race changing her.

Although this time, I actually might be a good resto shaman in classic AND BfA lol.
    Last edited by SpellCleave; 2017-11-16 at 12:56 AM.

damn right i would. I loved being a utility rogue. Its always fun stun locking some random mob when your group accidentally breaks a cc. I never gave a crap about damage meters, i just liked being wipe prevention.
    Same on my druid. I was absolutely in love with a hybrid feral style. It meant putting lots of points in swiftshifting talents, grabbing natures swiftness for emergencies, and the rest in damage/threat/armor. It meant you could do limited damage, but if shit went down, healer catches aggro, boof, bear, charge, pull it back to tank. Or if one of them bites it, i reckon i can run the clock down on the last 30 or so percent. Might even squeeze in a battle rez.

Ive always loved support playstyle, i never really liked min-max. It always seemed more fun and versatile.

Were you in such a misery just because Steve the Priest could give the top Warlock Power Infusion?
    And are you suggesting that I, of the two of us, are the elitist? Fascinating.

Why do you guys insist on thinking everything needs to be changed?

You know whats cooler than giving a warlock Power Infusion?

Being a warlock and doing actual DPS.

Yes - I actively look forward to the no balance changes in WoW classic.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by dizzzave View Post
    You know whats cooler than giving a warlock Power Infusion?

Being a warlock and doing actual DPS.
    Why? Did you play one back then? It was not a fun experience.

Deleted
    Yes, ofc. My vanilla experience didn't revolve around raiding / high achieving, so enhancement shaman will be my choice in classic, especially if blizzard doesn't change them too much (class balance etc.). I really started maining enhance since Tbc, but it was quite a good spec in PvP and solo content in OG WoW. If I really consider raiding, in case I discharge BoA (or what ever the fuck is current x-pack) I will consider either dps warrior or combat rogue as my main.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorbus View Post
    Yes, ofc. My vanilla experience didn't revolve around raiding / high achieving, so enhancement shaman will be my choice in classic, especially if blizzard doesn't change them too much (class balance etc.). I really started maining enhance since Tbc, but it was quite a good spec in PvP and solo content in OG WoW. If I really consider raiding, in case I discharge BoA (or what ever the fuck is current x-pack) I will consider either dps warrior or combat rogue as my main.
    Enhancement Shamans in Vanilla were Support?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

If Warrior no longer tickles my pickle I will most likely go Shaman, and if I'm unable to find myself as enhancement with a group I will gladly go resto.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    Enhancement Shamans in Vanilla were Support?
    Uh. Heard of Windfury? Strength of Earth? Any totems at all?

I'd probably still play my Enh Shaman, too many fond memories. I'd do all the support things required of me and whilst attempting as much damage as possible. Just I wouldn't compare myself to any DPS not of my spec. Plus if I had to heal, I'd just stay Enh specced, say I was Resto and hope noone noticed :>. Specs weren't as encompassing as they are now.

Otherwise nah, Rogue, but mainly because that's what I main these days.
    Last edited by RapBreon; 2017-11-16 at 02:53 AM.

I prefer support classes in all games. Tanking and healing are the only ones left in WoW and I like both, but you know I'll be kicking around on various other toons in classic. Enhance is appealing. I miss totems. <3

Fun? Again. Why wouldn't they be fun? Support are fantastic. What more do you want from it? Certain things are the way they are, and support is one. Your experience is different from mine. I'm sorry. What would you have liked to have had instead? We had a druid who was feral specced and had lots of plus intellect (after talent tree revamp), and he healed, decurse, gave leader of the pack when nothing else to do, combat ressed, innervated. It looked fun. Was he a rawr-cat full time? No. But he was a hybrid.
    This sounds utterly fascinating to me. A job that isn't one-dimensional. You have many little jobs you do that yield a DPS increase, but indirectly. I don't think anything like this exists in modern WoW. Everyone just does damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit. After reading some of these comments it is clear how many of you never even played vanilla or joined late in the game. You are in for a horrible shock if they give you the true vanilla game from the start. "Support Class" means standing out at the edge resurrecting people for an entire fight and been hated on for doing ANYTHING else. Also getting zero gear because it will go to actually useful specs.
    Last edited by Airwaves; 2017-11-16 at 03:20 AM.
    Aye mate

Plenty of the "support" classes can be specced and geared to do things they normally cant do very well. Vanilla WoW you can create true and unique underdog builds. It was part of the fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    In a heartbeat. I love playing support. I'll be the first one to volunteer to do adds if a separate group is assigned to it, and some of my best times in game was as a shadow priest with low-medium DPS but being a mana battery.
    Utility DPS was the best role in BC. I loved my Elemental Shaman.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by Swag View Post
    I played dps the all of vanilla. The whole damned time I wished I could switch to a healing priest and always be able to get a group. I fully plan on playing priest in classic.
    Holy priest isn't a support role though.. That's a healing role. Support is stuff like buffs and debuffs. It's when you go Ret for the sole purpose of keeping Wisdom up on the boss and blessings on everybody. It's when you go Druid and just Innervate the real healers. It's when you're a Shadow Priest just to keep the increased shadow damage taken debuff rolling and the mana a-flowin'.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    Utility DPS was the best role in BC. I loved my Elemental Shaman.
    Yeah, maybe in BC... In Classic, you couldn't actually do utility... =/ You couldn't afford to use your mana for anything other than your utility. Couldn't DPS during the downtimes really =/

There's a person in this thread who reports that their job was a Innervate bot and they weren't even allowed to throw out heals cuz it would mess up Healbot (which I REALLY hope they break anyway) I didn't play druid in Classic so I don't know anything about it sadly =/

It's very different. I think utility/support roles evolved to be much more fun in TBC before they basically removed them all in Wrath with the stupid "Bring the player, not the class" shit. Once again, I don't know much about this personally. Rogue/warrior/warlock main throughout Classic, lost my max characters before TBC... so I made a new level 1 Belf pally and it was so boring that I didn't make it past 24. I know how things worked though. Shamans would be rotated into groups in order to keep buffs rolling on your main DPS. SPriests were mainly mana batteries but they were much more effective than in Vanilla.
    Last edited by Hctaz; 2017-11-16 at 04:14 AM.