Poll: What do you think about Vanilla leveling options for live servers?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do we need "Vanilla leveling" option for live servers?

There are many debates now, whether Classic servers should be "fixed" or not. What if Blizzard just will release "fixed" version of Vanilla leveling as option for live servers? I would love such solution, as I don't need Classic servers themselves, but would like to level in pre-Cata variant of locations, that weren't destroyed by Cataclysm.

You should understand, that Blizzard will most likely port Vanilla to current engine anyway, cuz it's easier, than fixing all Vanilla's bugs and exploits from scratch, and Blizzard may agree not to fix some balance and design issues, but not bugs and exploits. Therefore it wouldn't be so hard to implement Vanilla leveling on live servers. This also will prevent Classic servers from being complete waste of resources, as I really doubt, that many players will play on them in a long term.

What do you think? Great compromise?

NOTE: Ok. I decided not to interrupt your discussion, but I actually meant "Vanilla's locations and quests on live servers" - not "Make leveling on live servers as hard, as in Vanilla".
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2017-11-16 at 03:35 PM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

The appeal is by far not just locations, it's also all the small bits like having to train / feed your hunter pet, having to learn poisons, plus old class abilities / talents / everything else.

I don't know if I would vote "I hate it" on what you propose, but it certainly is a non-starter in terms of a compromise.

You will never get classic-like leveling in current WoW, ever again. The game itself is just designed so vastly differently that classes don't need to do things like buy ammo for example. They don't need to group up to kill what used to be elites. They don't need to wait on health or mana to regen before pulling the next pack.

They could definitely slow it down, but it would still be missing the class-aspect of vanilla which made it the way it was, the social aspect would still be gone in current wow.

Current wow is just a different game, and it will never return to what it used to be. For better or for worse, current WoW is entirely focused on max level. Them scaling the zones is just an easy band-aid they can do without much effort to help make it a little better.

I want it but this a veri biased forum to ask that question and won't yield true results.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    The appeal is by far not just locations, it's also all the small bits like having to train / feed your hunter pet, having to learn poisons, plus old class abilities / talents / everything else.

I don't know if I would vote "I hate it" on what you propose, but it certainly is a non-starter in terms of a compromise.
    I also can't say, that I hate old systems, cuz they were more RPGish and current game is way too arcade. But at the same time I'm not ready to completely switch back to Vanilla servers, cuz it's too late for to start from scratch there and I also don't see any long term goals for me there. So, for me it would be enough, if old locations would be returned to live servers.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

I couldn't care less about retail.

This thread doesn't belong here.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    There are many debates now, whether Classic servers should be "fixed" or not. What if Blizzard just will release "fixed" version of Vanilla leveling as option for live servers?
    Vanilla leveling would have to start with disabling the LFG tool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Missing an option on the poll.

But overall, no thanks. I loved it but not sure I am having patience enough for 1-120 with leveling speed of Vanilla. But really, don't mind if people want it, just think their character should be locked for that choice. So, if you start one like so, it'll have to be completed like so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Vanilla leveling would have to start with disabling the LFG tool.
    And move the mounts higher up. And affect loot drops. And bag sizes. And quest log. Would be so much that would have to be locked away with such an option.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    And move the mounts higher up. And affect loot drops. And bag sizes. And quest log. Would be so much that would have to be locked away with such an option.
    God, the quest log. I keep forgetting it was even smaller and I keep running out of slots as it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    God, the quest log. I keep forgetting it was even smaller and I keep running out of slots as it is.
    I don't really mind reading the text but over the years, one gets used to another thing, that would be locked away, the quest tracker on the map.

- - - Updated - - -

And they gotta add in their rogue AI to gank you every now and then.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I don't really mind reading the text but over the years, one gets used to another thing, that would be locked away, the quest tracker on the map.
    To be honest... the quest tracker has to die for Vanilla questing experience.

Well I clicked I like it but not as a compromise. Instead as an additional option. I feel the ruined the old world with cata and want the old world back with its warts. I would love to be able to level on a classic server to 60 and transfer to retail for TBC.

But if they had a toggle where I could level old world to 60;that would be great, but not at the expense of classic
    "Peace is a lie"

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    I couldn't care less about retail.

This thread doesn't belong here.
    Agree, wrong forum.
    Shadowlands - Server first 60 Rogue on Tarren-Mill EU
    Classic - Server first 60 Rogue on Gandling EU
    Server first Ragnaros, World 6th

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest... the quest tracker has to die for Vanilla questing experience.
    Yup, but but.. I like it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    What if Blizzard just will release "fixed" version of Vanilla leveling as option for live servers?
    Wrong forum. They can do whatever they want with live, I couldn't care less about modern WoW.

If they change the Mankrik's Wife's place and remove the quest/coordinate addons, then yes.

Nope, not with the quest drought of 40-60 that forced you to wait out for rested experience to farm dungeons and grind mobs to bridge the gap. Wouldn't trade in the WPL, EPL, Feralas and Un'goro of today for the mess they were back in the day.

And I am stating this as a protection warrior who had no problem in finding farming parties who had the luxury of kicking locks and huntards who did not know where their pet spells were.

Post-cata questing (Actual questing not LFD-blitzing) was the best thing that happened to this game (aside from some tropes here and there).

What's next? Dismantling city-channels along with LFG so that we end-up endlessly running the maximum distance between IF/Org for recruiting?

Please kindly go to your Classic servers and mess-it up for those of us who are eager to get those heritage armors.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynkeus View Post
    If they change the Mankrik's Wife's place and remove the quest/coordinate addons, then yes.
    James leveling guide existed in vanilla wow.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I literally only care about seeing the quests, so this would be perfect for me if it were an option.

People considering themselves forever challenged by 2004 quest mechanics and AI, will have their questing experience in time.

I prefer they'll apply 2017 standards of elite areas, mob mechanics and scaling + updated visuals to leveling on Live servers, thanks. Add to that the new AI of BfA, and they could create Mythic level optional questing with unique rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by fatisha View Post
    No. Retail is just too far away from the classic experience. All things related to the old classic experience should be on the classic servers, and retail can become even less of a RPG to keep the customers happy .
    Whenever someone call WoW "less of an RPG", I can't help but cringe.

Not having tons of dumb, dated and lacking mechanics in place that players wanted gone for a reason =/= the game being "less RPG". Story, class fantasy, long-term progression etc etc are all very much present and more focused on as of Legion than ever before. The problem is that Classic fanboys and fangirls, tend to confuse "I'm not interested in it" for "It's non-existant".
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-11-16 at 01:35 PM.