Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Government official trying to interfere with the first amendment? Someone call the baked Alaska thread!

Supreme Court has ruled that a community can dictate what is "obscene". It can be a town or city, etc. If that community has said that the word f'ck is extreme, in their view, they can legislate against it and make it a misdemeanor to say the word or display the word.

I'm sure there are plenty communities in the US where it's illegal to say or display the word f'ck.

You can have your free speech, just pick another word.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Of course charges won't stick... that sticker breaks no laws.
    No but it does highlight the fact that both people like trump and those against him are just as classless as each other. Obama had class, something the current anti trump crowds lack.

If you want to prove your better then those your opposed to, show it.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    If fuck the draft is good to go so is this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Didnt think Houston expanded into Fort Bend. Apparently I was mistaken! Usually its only the main county of the big cities and not the surrounding counties.
    While we live in a small town right outside Houston, in Fort Bend county as a matter of fact, we still consider ourselves the "Houston area" because Houston is so big.
    Where I grew up, in Galveston, that wasn't really considered "Houston area" because it is so much farther away. But it was still an adjacent county. The county was just more populated as well.
    Hell, the Johnson Space Center isn't even in Houston. it's actually pretty damn far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    DA's dont like to bring unwinable cases.
    Or ones that are going to get their cities sued for millions of dollars for an intentional violation of civil rights and failure to adequately supervise.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

Quote Originally Posted by angrys13 View Post
    Literally the textbook definition of exercising the first amendment right. Can't even bring a charge to her.
    Yeah, literally because there are literally zero laws/ordinances in place literally governing the literal public display of literal profanity or literally anything.

But muuuuuuuuuuh, liturulllly freeeeeeeeeee speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech derp de derp.

I have no issue with the message, but the fact it says Fuck in it, in public, where anyone can see it is a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    How short of memory do people honestly have? Selective outrage is the thing people should be upset about.

That's not really ok either. But at least it's more clever.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    From my local paper
    http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/fo...r-12360280.php

'Fort Bend County Sheriff Troy Nehls on Wednesday created a social media firestorm with a Facebook post threatening to bring disorderly conduct charges against the driver of a truck displaying a profane anti-Trump message on its rear window.
    Nehls told the Houston Chronicle that he had received calls, texts and emails in recent days from people who took offense at the language in bold, white lettering: "F--- TRUMP AND F--- YOU FOR VOTING FOR HIM."....'

Charges won't stick.
    You can't have profanity like that in public view. It doesn't matter if it said Fuck Trump or Fuck Obama. If he said Trump sucks that would be a different story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    I have no issue with the message, but the fact it says Fuck in it, in public, where anyone can see it is a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not really ok either. But at least it's more clever.
    Sorta. I get that it is crass. But there are no laws about cursing in public. It is just frowned upon by those who have more class.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I need that on a shirt or coffee mug

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellboi View Post
    You can't have profanity like that in public view. It doesn't matter if it said Fuck Trump or Fuck Obama. If he said Trump sucks that would be a different story.
    Why are you lying?

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I need that on a shirt or coffee mug
    You would sell millions to the haters my friend. They probably already exist though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, interesting thing: https://www.click2houston.com/news/-...rch-for-driver

specifically this part: KPRC 2 legal analyst Brian Wice said this was a free speech issue and referred to the 1971 case of Cohen v. California. According to the case, the Supreme Court "overturned a man's conviction for the crime of disturbing the peace for wearing a jacket in the public corridors of a courthouse that displayed the phrase, 'F*** the draft.'"

So profanity by itself isnt an issue.

I also personally dont thing telling people Fuck You in publlic violates and the language by its very utterance tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace part of disorderly conduct, because MOST people dont actually get violent over it

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Why are you lying?
    Why are you salty?

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    No but it does highlight the fact that both people like trump and those against him are just as classless as each other. Obama had class, something the current anti trump crowds lack.

If you want to prove your better then those your opposed to, show it.
    Truer statement has never been stated.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are you salty?
    Hormones probably.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are you salty?
    Well i quoted you. So some salt got on me endus

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Sorta. I get that it is crass. But there are no laws about cursing in public. It is just frowned upon by those who have more class.
    Well disorderly conduct covers both improper behavior and/or coarse language. Also this can be seen as an eye sore for a neighborhood.

Honestly 1st Amendment doesn't completely protect you from saying anything you want. The article states they've received multiple complaints on the vehicle.

I honestly think it's extremely distasteful. If I was walking past this with my kids I'd feel compelled to at least black out the lettering on it. I don't even condone most sensorship, but we don't live in Idiocracy. Chew Big Red or Fuck you isn't on billboards because the language itself is uncivilized.

They person made their point, made national news papers, now it's time to be a human and take it down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh how people change so quick depending on the team.

Free speech is free speech. Sheriff dun goofed.