Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    I'm not sure how you arrive at that conclusion. Paladins wouldn't be unable to heal because they have a tank spec. Maybe a little for people cheap on respec costs, but not much.
    And I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion how paladins tanking would be bad. Just because you cannot imagine balancing to be any different from straight buffing does not mean the deisgn team cannot. So all your "ifs" concerning the effects of viable tankadins are from thin air.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    And I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion how paladins tanking would be bad. Just because you cannot imagine balancing to be any different from straight buffing does not mean the deisgn team cannot. So all your "ifs" concerning the effects of viable tankadins are from thin air.
    I don't trust the balance team. This is the same company that in mythic Nighthold had two mage specs 30% behind the other and had Guardian druids 100% better than Vengeance DKs at tanking in raids.

I don't see a problem with alliance and horde not being perfectly balanced. As far as I remember, it was long common knowledge that horde guilds had a slight advantage over alliance guilds, and "serious" raiders were horde raiders. This entire concept has almost completely disappeared, which has made the whole point of having horde and alliance on a server feel almost meaningless. I'll be honestly with you, the last time I even considered or thought speculatively about what horde had that I didn't, was in Vanilla. The subsequent expansions made these differences completely irrellevent, to the point that I don't even see the topic come up any more.

So I ask you this with some actual seriousness - what would be more "Vanilla" than having the two sides be imbalanced, and for there to be some real, ACTUAL advantages and disadvantages to choosing either horde or alliance (rather than just cosmetic as it is today)?

Basically my point is that I think saying allowing paladins to tank wouldn't be balanced is an invalid argument, at least from where I'm standing. Make paladins fun to play in all their roles. Make them kick ass. Then do the same for shamans. Problem solved, imo. Then players will have an interesting choice to make when they pick a faction besides which one looks the coolest.
    Last edited by Kilee25; 2017-11-16 at 08:49 AM. Reason: typos
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

? Blessing of Salvation and Kings were so overpowered compared to Shamans that everyone complained about how favoured alliance were.

Shamans were good on like, two fights (Viscidus, Kel'Thuzad) and actively a huge liability on Nefarian compared to paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Then it is not Classic WoW, and is some kind of Frankenstein WoW
    How is it NOT classic wow if you're keeping it how it was?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    I hope then they make bugs unfixed for months Just because it was as in original. I mean, they can fix it with modern experience but why
    Class viability =/= bug fixes?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hewhoknows View Post
    People like you will ultimately kill Classic WoW
    For wanting classic wow to stay classic, I'll kill it? Having classic wow with a ton of changes ISN'T CLASSIC WOW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hope people blinded by nostalgia are ready to deal with the nightmare that was classic. So many specs that are viable today were jokes back then. And if you didn't talent in the right way, you didn't get to raid because no raid leader would let someone take their 'unique' spec they put together for fun into a raid since it's likely sub-optimal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    classic vanilla two terms for the same thing, the English language is full of such things.
    Unless Blizzard's interpretation of classic is vanilla but good,

In which case prepare for updates baby

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    Because paladins, unlike warriors, can hold threat on a lot of mobs, which erodes the classic gameplay of slow pace, setting up pulls and CC-ing a lot of things.
    Use of CC and pacing in classic dungeons had a lot more to do with the fact that more than 2 mobs beating on your tank, even if he held threat, meant he'd be gibbed instantly

Quote Originally Posted by bash the fash View Post
    Everything you post is cringe-worthy and screams of someone who never played Vanilla seriously, if at all.

Paladin tanking didn't 'take skill'. It wasn't routinely possible outside of 5-man groups built specifically to accommodate the paladin tank, and it never worked in a raid environment because paladins couldn't hit defense cap.
    Actually, the original post I spoke to mentioned Paladins not being good in TBC. My comments are related to TBC paladin tanking... but thanks for participating!

These threads just proves what blizzard has been saying the whole time. You think you want vanilla, but you really dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Octayvius View Post
    Because windfury and grounding totem are totally not OP or the totem that stopped fears.
    Lol wut? Totems only affected the 5 members of a party, regardless of if you were in a raid or not. Grounding totem was a joke in raids, as 90% of raid abilities were non groundable aoe effects. Windfury for 1 group was nowhere comparable to a single paladin being able to buff the ENTIRE raid with Blessing of Kings (even if the buff duration was short as shit). And dwarf priests with fear ward >>>> than Tremor totem any day, as pro active fear prevention was way better than re-active (if your shaman on Tremor duty dropped the totem a second too early you were fucked, and if he dropped it a second too late, there was still a chance your tank could turn his back on the boss while feared and get destroyed).

Honestly, the ONLY raid PvE advantage horde had was Cleansing Totems on poison heavy raids like in AQ 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazz17 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Class viability =/= bug fixes?

- - - Updated - - -

Both are effect on inexperienced dev team who didnt know what the hell they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    I hope then they make bugs unfixed for months Just because it was as in original. I mean, they can fix it with modern experience but why
    Well they eventually fixed them, so that doesn't really compare. If they made Paladin tanks viable at some point in Vanilla then you could argue to make them viable for Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by bash the fash View Post
    Use of CC and pacing in classic dungeons had a lot more to do with the fact that more than 2 mobs beating on your tank, even if he held threat, meant he'd be gibbed instantly
    You're thinking of heroic Burning Crusade dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    Well they eventually fixed them, so that doesn't really compare. If they made Paladin tanks viable at some point in Vanilla then you could argue to make them viable for Classic.
    Oh but what if we got base vanilla game patch 1.0 on start. Bugs should be there right? Because that was the "pure" experience correct?

Or maybe should we get game after it last patch? Well then there talent revamps before TBC launched. So it would be fair to have paladins viable from the get go, because they were in preparations of TBC. Kinda.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterBeast View Post
    These threads just proves what blizzard has been saying the whole time. You think you want vanilla, but you really dont.
    Wrong. Most of these people are pulling information out of their ass. People have been listening to vanilla WoW horror stories for 10 years now. The experiences they think will be so prevalent wont be at all. All the crazy shit people keep spewing was directly tied to there being no resources available online to help and for many of the community it was their first MMO.

Deleted
    I like how people are still acting like Paladins will be & should be unviable for dungeons on Classic, when I already linked a thread containing videos of a Paladin tank tanking every dungeon on a private vanilla Blizz-like realm.

These memes about "Warriors are the only tank" are not accurate. You can do everything besides 40 man main tanking as a Paladin; people have enough knowledge now to work around the limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Smrtby View Post
    I like how people are still acting like Paladins will be & should be unviable for dungeons on Classic, when I already linked a thread containing videos of a Paladin tank tanking every dungeon on a private vanilla Blizz-like realm.

These memes about "Warriors are the only tank" are not accurate. You can do everything besides 40 man main tanking as a Paladin; people have enough knowledge now to work around the limitations.
    I played a protection paladin alt in Vanilla, and never had an issue at the dungeon level. If you geared properly and knew what you were doing, you could hold aggro just fine, and take a tremendous amount of damage. I recall tanking all the way through the leveling experience, and I was able to make every dungeon a success, especially compared to what it had been like on my main as a healer. While leveling and playing my Paladin, what I learned was that there were a lot of very terrible tanks in the game.

I believe this is the reason that we had a main prot paladin in our guild for raiding as well. Yes, some bosses were awful or almost couldn't be done, but the fact that the person behind the character was a competent and capable player meant that he was often still our best option compared to the other warriors that we had available. I would've taken that paladin tank over most of our other choices almost any night of the week.

What I really want to see from Vanilla is not so much a change in the class, but just simply some support for the class by way of gear options. As I recall the real issue with our paladin tank was that good gear was very scarce, and warriors had it much easier. And yes, a taunt would have basically made it a non-issue. It wouldn't take much at all to bring them up to warrior viability. We're not talking an overhaul of the talent system or anything like that.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

Quote Originally Posted by Smrtby View Post

Then you can agree that paladins are fine as they were in classic and need no changes I assume?

On a side note:
    We three manned LBRS at one point with three clothies.
    - Holy Priest.
    - Warlock
    - Mage

Pretty sure a Paladin could have tanked for us back then.