Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Hopefully a shitload of hunters have rather not-so-unfortunate mishaps along the way. I mean, that'd be awful. Simply terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Xinder View Post
    I'm so confused. Is your argument "It's ok to kill a black rhino if you're going to stuff it's head on a wall, but if you're doing it to get it's horn then it's bad"?

If so, what the actual fuck? It's taking a species with an already endangered population and removing one more from it. Who the fuck cares the reason it's being killed??? I don't even understand the logic.
    One permit to kill a rhino costs $350,000. Money used for conservation efforts for the rest of the species. Inferior cultures that pay poachers for horns for their magical properties? $0 for conservation efforts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutpile View Post
    Wrong. Wrong. No surprise since everything you've posted in this thread is wrong.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15663982

Actually no, I conceede the black rhino isn't extinct

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Hunting for food, or to equalize populations is one thing. Hunting for the joy of killing things as a spot is psychologically sick.
    I agree, but sadly, it seems that some people don't care about certain species if they can't bring back a trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    And should be restricted to professionals NOT rich gunhoe sociopaths

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody is gloating
    The comments seem to suggest otherwise. Anyway, I'm not surprised that hypocrisy runs high among smug Europeans.

One permit to kill a rhino costs $350,000. Money used for conservation efforts for the rest of the species. Inferior cultures that pay poachers for horns for their magical properties? $0 for conservation efforts.
    So how long is it before someone can pay another 350k to kill another rhino? If there are 100 Rhinos left in the species, why is it ok to kill 1 more of them for the 350k and not instead wait to let the species recover and get to 1000 or even 500 before you are removing one from the population? Besides the fact that I still would think it's disgusting practice and shouldn't be how the world works. It makes 0 sense to me to say "Here hunt and kill one of these so that we can save the rest of them because we're out of money for our effort to save the species".

7+ Year Old Account
    Wrong. Wrong. No surprise since everything you've posted in this thread is wrong.
    Western black rhino declared extinct
    That was 2011.....

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-15663982

If only big game hunters had killed them before the poachers could, then trickle down economics would have worked to save them.....

Even the south-western Black Rhino is consider "Critically Endangered".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_rhinoceros

We should probably let big game hunters start hunting them to fix the problem right?

Glad we all agree that the Western Black rhino is extinct though.
    Last edited by -Nurot; 2017-11-16 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15663982

Actually no, I conceede the black rhino isn't extinct
    Rhino poaching is fucked, often they cut of the horn and leave them to die. Watch some pics online, would be very nice if they did the same to the poachers, atleast rangers are free to kill poachers on sight in many places now, more soon i hope.

So how long is it before someone can pay another 350k to kill another rhino? If there are 100 Rhinos left in the species, why is it ok to kill 1 more of them for the 350k and not instead wait to let the species recover and get to 1000 or even 500 before you are removing one from the population? Besides the fact that I still would think it's disgusting practice and shouldn't be how the world works. It makes 0 sense to me to say "Here hunt and kill one of these so that we can save the rest of them because we're out of money for our effort to save the species".
    Anyone who's not a complete idiot realizes that there is heavy regulation on the permits. Just like there's even regulation on deer permits here in the US, even though they're wildly overpopulated. Get your dumb emotions out of the topic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by -Nurot View Post
    That was 2011.....

[URL="http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-15663982"]

Glad we all agree that the Western Black rhino is extinct though.
    And by "we" you mean "you".

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

https://www.fws.gov/international/an...elephants.html

There you go. They've moved around the document itself in catagories but they're still on the endangered species act.
    Which is why I included the word critically. It is there in black letters on white. :P Sometimes we overlook things because it does not fit our line of thinking. A species which is endangered, but not listed as critically, means they are in danger of reaching the critical stage. Which is the last stage before they become extinct.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Well, I checked it out and the only elephant which is listed as critically endangered, is the Sumatran species. https://www.wonderslist.com/10-endan...to-extinction/

Another site said as of 2016, there were a few hundred thousands of all elephant species alive. And they also noted that most are killed by poaches by far, than by hunters.
    Asian elephants as a species are classified as endangered, some subspecies like the Sumatran elephant are critically endangered.

My issue with hunting elephants as mentioned before is that they are intelligent, well beyond deer or wild turkeys or most animals we would hunt in North America. Their cognitive functions are comparable to great apes and cetaceans. They are able to recognize themselves in mirrors (a sign of self-awareness as most animals will ignore or attack their reflection). Elephants have been known to attack villages in retaliation in areas where poaching is common.

7+ Year Old Account
    Anyone who's not a complete idiot realizes that there is heavy regulation on the permits. Just like there's even regulation on deer permits here in the US, even though they're wildly overpopulated. Get your dumb emotions out of the topic.

- - - Updated - - -

And by "we" you mean "you".
    Right because you refuse to believe there are different subspecies of Black Rhinos.

Again I'll link.

If you read it, you'd actually know which sub-species are extinct.
    Last edited by -Nurot; 2017-11-16 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -Nurot View Post
    Right because you refuse to believe there are different subspecies of Black Rhinos.

Again I'll link.

If you read it, you'd actually know which sub-species are extinct.
    My bad, I didn't pay attention to "Western".

Again, though. Poachers, not trophy hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Which is why I included the word critically. It is there in black letters on white. :P Sometimes we overlook things because it does not fit our line of thinking. A species which is endangered, but not listed as critically, means they are in danger of reaching the critical stage. Which is the last stage before they become extinct.
    Oh so it's ok then. No need to worry until they're on the last step to becoming extinct. Heaven forbid we let them get off the list all together before we start allowing them hunted again.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    It is so humiliating to be an American right now.
    You can move.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Asian elephants as a species are classified as endangered, some subspecies like the Sumatran elephant are critically endangered.

My issue with hunting elephants as mentioned before is that they are intelligent, well beyond deer or wild turkeys or most animals we would hunt in North America. Their cognitive functions are comparable to great apes and cetaceans. They are able to recognize themselves in mirrors (a sign of self-awareness as most animals will ignore or attack their reflection). Elephants have been known to attack villages in retaliation in areas where poaching is common.
    Look at my quote. Do I not have the word critically in my sentence? And I have already stated I find shooting a elephant or large cat just for sport, repulsive. So we do agree. The point about intelligence is well made. But I find the concept of killing any animal for pure sport and no other reason, repulsive. If they are hunting a animal and they know it's death will be put to good use, such as food or helping with preserving the species, than that is a different situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    You can move.
    Yeah, cause that makes you not an American. Being pedantic as shit gets you nowhere in life.

OT: Of course, because Trump's actual mission while in office is to make our country into as big of a joke as possible. I'd say he's ahead of the curve at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh so it's ok then. No need to worry until they're on the last step to becoming extinct. Heaven forbid we let them get off the list all together before we start allowing them hunted again.
    Depends. Like some have posted, hunting of a species may generate resources for the country they are in, to help preserve the species. I am not well versed on all that entails. But I do not condemn anyone who hunts any animal which is legal to hunt anywhere. Would I? Hell no.

10+ Year Old Account
    something is missing in this article as it doesn't exactly list who approved this or why. it just basically says it happened but not what specific persons authorized it.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.