Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    Sure. For a week.
    It will be successful depending on how they release it. Private servers have proven this. A week lmfao

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    wwith todays announcement it will be a miracle if they have 10k subs 1 month into . 6 months in it will be a ghosttown.
    If you don't like a classic server that's fine.
    10k dubs yeah right, not even after 2 years.
    How much proof from private testing do you need?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    post 2.4.3, the main reason for many significant broad game accessibility changes can be described as Activision-Blizzard being the ultimate boss, rather than Vivendi Online.

- - - Updated - - -

re bold -

nost had 200k active (30-day rule, found it in their post-mortem) when shut down. assume western wow has 3m players. you are saying official will have less than a relatively unknown private server did? (nost became much much more famous post-shutdown, of course).
    So many players diddent get involved into private cause of their character investments to get shit down sooner or later so you are right here. It would surprise me if the dropped under 200k months in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2803 View Post
    What alot of people seem to forget or not understand is there's a reason Blizzard moved away from the classic wow design.

Yes there will be alot of people playing it, it will do incredibly well at the beginning but those numbers will go down.

edit; to clarity; I'm not saying classic will suck or retail is better. I'm simply saying retail didn't just happen, there are reasons for all the changes and that is the players. So regarding to numbers it should be pretty even I hope.
    Retail will allways have the bigger part of the community. A year in I would say 90/10? Wow today is what today's community wants.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    wwith todays announcement it will be a miracle if they have 10k subs 1 month into . 6 months in it will be a ghosttown.
    You are so incredibly wrong
    "Those who dance appear insane to those who can't hear the music." ~~ George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by ossyc View Post
    Does the same not happen with the current retail version?

Classic will always have plenty of players.

There will always be players; I would imagine at least a similar number to the current WoW.
    Retail is updated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ikas6 View Post
    think you dont understand WHY ppl want classic servers, thouse who play vanilla on private servers, they dont want more content after naxx, they want naxx to be the last raid or whatever THATS IT, they want to finish WoW which they cant cus retail bang out expack every now and then, believe it or not but they find it fun without expansions, shocking i know!

i look forward to classic.
    Thinking everyone an classic servers want the same is wrong. I for example would like new content but keep the mechanics. No lfr, Df, flying, etc. We all wish something slightly different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HavokHeart View Post
    You are so incredibly wrong
    Agree.
    There's mistaken, being wrong, bullshit and then that guy.

There will always be players; I would imagine at least a similar number to the current WoW.
    Will it have players? Yeah it will, but simply based on how much of a nightmare discussions about it are it won't be anywhere near the current level of players. Think about it, a huge amount of players complain that current raid tiers last more than x months. While that isn't everybody, those very same people will stop playing once they run out of things to do. Regardless what they try to do they're going to piss off a sizeable group from either side.

The other issue is that classic will be content starved, vanilla then (while still having it's horrible, horrible problems) was still being actively developed. Nowadays a lot of people want JUST that experience, after say a year or so and most people have run all the raids a couple dozen times they'll drop.

That said it's not like it'll completely die, but people are over-hyping what vanilla really was. The game itself was filled with flaws and issues, but that didn't mean it wasn't fun. The problem is that most people want that "feeling" they had from vanilla, which some will get but that enjoyment will eventually die after you've ran naxx for the 100th time. If you haven't already lost it dealing with the horrible design decisions that wouldn't pass today (and only did back then because it was better than the alternatives).
    Last edited by Shakugan123; 2017-11-16 at 09:19 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feederino Senpai View Post
    Searched up this Nost server, I see it was 150k active players, not too bad I guess. So I'll up my number to 200k after 6 months. I just have zero faith in todays playerbase, and strongly believe most people will find Classic too much of a grind and quit before even getting started properly.

Me, however, can't wait. We're 4 people who miss the good old Classic days, and will re-level our toons from back then. 200k is more than enough to keep a couple of servers alive, which is all Classic needs.

But 1-2 million active people? Highly doubt that.
    Yeah, millions will be unrealistic. Maybe at launch but pretty sure we will hang over 200k half a year in depending on how they release it.

A few things to address, here:
    All I'm saying is the current version suffers from the same problem 'lack of content'. You can go 12-15 months on current retail and still be bored shitless, with nothing to do.
    Unlikely it'll be that long, considering this time they've announced the next expansion before the (presumed) last raid even activates. Also, considering the old world, TBC, Wrath, Cata and MoP are already getting level scaling in 7.3.5, which is not a pre-expansion patch, means the expansion is already quite ahead in production, indicating that we should get a much shorter "content drought".

That said, consider what you just said: "you can go 12-15 months in retail with nothing to do". Classic will be an eternal content drought once the last patch is applied.

However on classic, sure the PvE stuff will dry up, however, people log in for other things like BGs, alts, leveling, world PvP, roleplay, twinks etc.
    That's a rather meaningless to say, considering you can still do "BGs, alts, leveling, world PvP, roleplay, twinks etc" on retail, as well. That's like comparing the old beetle car to the new beetle, and say, in defense of the old car, "well, the old beetle can take me to the store, on the other side of town." Well, so can the new beetle car.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    Played to 60 is around 8 days, if you play 2 hours every day, would take you 3 months. If they do a properly gated release of UBRS first, then MC, etc etc, they can easily stretch out vanilla to 1-3 years. Who knows, maybe it turns out it's so popular they release a small new instance after Naxx. As for the players, farming BiS takes an awful long time in vanilla, it's not like people will get their gear asap and then be bored waiting for the next instance release, they'll be raiding for a while.

Also I think it's more of a question of not trusting nost/kro than not trusting blizzard, in my surroundings on e.g. Steam, people are anxious to play the classic blizz realm but never even considered a private server, I believe most are like this, 25k is a laugable amount, it'll be way more. I've been raiding vanilla for the past 2 years and I haven't managed to sway any of my friends into playing it, they're all like 'official vanilla server or no thanks'.
    8 days is rather quick.
    25k is indeed a laughable amount.
    And your friends are lying, they'll try however they release it.

I cannot see there being anywhere near the same number of players, primarily because - unless Blizzard undertakes a fair degree of updating - the game will lack the QoL and balance fixes that will attract players these days.

Other games such as Wildstar went to for the old school approach and they haven't been exactly successful. I would anticipate that a large number of people would start playing WoW:Classic at the start but that number will rapidly drop off. There should be enough remaining to maintain a server or two.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    A few things to address, here:

Unlikely it'll be that long, considering this time they've announced the next expansion before the (presumed) last raid even activates. Also, considering the old world, TBC, Wrath, Cata and MoP are already getting level scaling in 7.3.5, which is not a pre-expansion patch, means the expansion is already quite ahead in production, indicating that we should get a much shorter "content drought".

That said, consider what you just said: "you can go 12-15 months in retail with nothing to do". Classic will be an eternal content drought once the last patch is applied.

That's a rather meaningless to say, considering you can still do "BGs, alts, leveling, world PvP, roleplay, twinks etc" on retail, as well. That's like comparing the old beetle car to the new beetle, and say, in defense of the old car, "well, the old beetle can take me to the store, on the other side of town." Well, so can the new beetle car.
    Oh common, the old beetle is way cooler!

Quote Originally Posted by bugsix View Post
    Millions of people left, because wow changed from vanilla.... now they will come back for classic and not for retail.
    You'll have a hard time proving that many who left, did so for the reason you stated. On top of that, you'll have an even harder time proving that all those who did leave for that reason will return for classic WoW.

If paying for retail sub will also cover classic sub? I'll be playing both.
    If I have to cough up extra to play classic? I might not.

Have they even said which it will be?
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Retail version has WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY more stuff to do.

Classic will be a rush of people wandering in for nostalgia, then leaving a few more getting one toon to 60 and leaving and very very very few people hanging around to run old raids.
    By the time i hit 60 all the WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY more stuff to do i had in retail is already gone lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    ummm what's your point? you can skip (CURRENT) raids completely now by doing world content
    Yes and that sucks too. We already know that.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Private servers have proven this.
    Do you pay subs on private servers?

Deleted
    Do you pay subs on private servers?
    You do realise that there are lots of people (including me) willing to pay those 15$/month for stable, well maintained game? Go away with that pointless, flawed argument finaly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    You'll have a hard time proving that many who left, did so for the reason you stated. On top of that, you'll have an even harder time proving that all those who did leave for that reason will return for classic WoW.
    Dude, havent you seen all the graphics in signatures on mmochampion? BFA and Classic are already forecasted, Classic solid 5 mil players while BFA tumbles down to 500k. Just read peoples signatures, free legit credible info right there!

Quote Originally Posted by oumajgad View Post
    You do realise that there are lots of people (including me) willing to pay those 15$/month for stable, well maintained game? Go away with that pointless, flawed argument finaly.
    You can pay for whatever you want. You just don't get point.

You can pay for whatever you want. You just don't get point.
    They never will. The levels of self-delusion in these threads are astonishing, people actually believing these servers will get millions or even hundreds of thousands of subscribers is... comical, at best. The classic servers will see a huge initial interest as people poke their heads in, either to see what they missed or to remember the olden days, then it'll quickly become apparent that vanilla was incredibly tedious and it ended for a reason. By the end of the first few months, it'll be a ghost town of a handful of die hard purists who long to run AQ40 for years on end and no one else.

Deleted
    What vanilla fanboys refuse to admit is that a good chunk of every private server's community is made up of literal 3rd worlders who can't even afford retail subscription.It's like you try to conveniently forget the Chinese infestation on Nostalrius.