Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    We can't have people wearing such distracting clothing during an educational event. How can anyone ever learn with such distractions? Good on them for making that little kid change their clothes when all they wanted was attention!!!

Seriously though, why would a school risk losing future trips because one kid wanted to be a troll?
    CNN could simply now allow field trips to their headquarters for that specific school.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I'd call it a false equivalence
    How so?

OT: I don't see how this is in violation of first Amendment rights, schools don't allow all sorts of speech from their students. Student isn't being charged or arrested, simply reprimanded. This isn't to say I would support some totalitarian biased school environment, but the kid was blatantly trying to troll.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Little troll should get suspended. Totally out of line.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's a school, full on free speech has no place in school, what's next, kids insulting other but it's okay cause ''free speech''... kids tell his teacher to go fuck herself is okay cause ''free speech''...

Kid was lucky only thing they asked from him was to change is t-shirt... not to surprise his parent went crazy tho, 99% chance they tough him CNN is ''Fake news'' no 12 year old kid as the critical thinking required to back something like CNN is pushing an agenda and if he really had he would be smart enough to not wear a retarded shirt like that on a field trip to CNN...

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I wonder if a kid went on a school excursion to a veteran's monument with a "soldiers are baby killers" t-shirt on, and the school made him remove it, would tony be equally outraged?
    This is somewhat my train of thought, minus the combativeness towards Tony.

The kid is acting as a representative of the school, his behavior and appearance reflects directly back upon the school. If he is being difficult and the school didn't want that being the face of their school (because Tony we were both in the military, that is exactly the same line we were fed over and over about each of us being a unique face for the military, and any bad behavior will be used to reperesent the entire military as being the same) I feel it is their right. That or they simply could have not taken him on the field trip.

If this was a trip to a veterans memorial with some anti-veteran slogan I'd feel the same. If it was a trip to a PETA organization (whom I can't stand) and he went with a steak and the words yummy, I'd feel the same.

Some students are celebrated when they make a controversial display during the National Anthem. My student was forced to remove his shirt because someone didn’t like it. I defend speech and expression, even if I disagree, or it makes me uncomfortable
    This line though, makes me feel like the dad just wanted to say gotcha, and see look what they did.

Deleted
    Challenge a song (anthem) -> get celebrated
    Challenge the fourth power -> too much

The Miniluv would be proud.

Would've happened to me if I did that kind of thing when I was a kid, and my parents would have grounded me for wearing the shirt. Because when I was a kid, they taught us not to be so blatantly disrespectful when we're given that kind of opportunity, even if we disagree.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ooid View Post
    You don’t have freedom of speech at school. That’s how schools get away with having students being force to change their clothing. This is perfectly reasonable.
    Only if said clothing is breaking some kind of rule. Does the school have a "No news network mocking" rule?

Deleted
    I wonder if a kid went on a school excursion to a veteran's monument with a "soldiers are baby killers" t-shirt on, and the school made him remove it, would tony be equally outraged? Kek.
    At least have the decency to make the comparison on equal terms: ccn is a corporation, soldiers are people. I suggest "the military kills babies".
    Yours is a pretty low threshold to characterize stuff as "outrage" anyway.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    That's called PR due to negative backlash.
    It's called trying to cover their ass because they got called out for their mistake. They know they're wrong that's why they apologized.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Better let kids dress however they want, say what they want, and do what they want. All in defense of the first amendment. Disregard the need for a safe, secure, and conducive environment to education, as long as snowflake Billy gets to enrage liberals.
    Going a bit overboard there aren't we batman? The shirt said "FNN Fake news network" not like one of those "I FUCK ON THE FIRST DATE" shirts or some shit. Calm yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    We can't have people wearing such distracting clothing during an educational event. How can anyone ever learn with such distractions? Good on them for making that little kid change their clothes when all they wanted was attention!!!

Seriously though, why would a school risk losing future trips because one kid wanted to be a troll?
    Haha, you think CNN is going to be like "we we're going to invite you back but, that one little bastard in the FNN shit ruined it, you can fuck right off now". You must think CNN is even pettier than they actually are.

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    At least have the decency to make the comparison on equal terms: ccn is a corporation, soldiers are people. I suggest "the military kills babies".
    Yours is a pretty low threshold to characterize stuff as "outrage" anyway.
    You misunderstand the argument, the question is whether or not the school is in its rights to determine a dress code. The example was simply picked to annoy tony, it's not relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalador View Post
    It's a school, full on free speech has no place in school, what's next, kids insulting other but it's okay cause ''free speech''... kids tell his teacher to go fuck herself is okay cause ''free speech''...

Kid was lucky only thing they asked from him was to change is t-shirt... not to surprise his parent went crazy tho, 99% chance they tough him CNN is ''Fake news'' no 12 year old kid as the critical thinking required to back something like CNN is pushing an agenda and if he really had he would be smart enough to not wear a retarded shirt like that on a field trip to CNN...
    You're really comparing a kid straight up telling his teacher to fuck off to a kid wearing a shirt that simply says "FNN Fake news network"? Intellectually dishonest much?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    Pretty sure the constitution doesn't apply to school.

How else are you gonna tell your students to shut up and follow school policy? Same reason why US law doesn't directly apply on university campus.
    The only time it doesn't is when it interferes with their own rules. What about his shirt was against the dresscode?

You misunderstand the argument, the question is whether or not the school is in its rights to determine a dress code. The example was simply picked to annoy tony, it's not relevant.
    So basically you admit to trying to troll me, where's endus lol.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ip-to-cnn.html

This is dumb, the school had no right to request him to remove his t-shirt. Now, if CNN told him he couldn't enter the premises with the shirt on, thats one thing, but the school should always support the 1st amendment.
    You don't have Freedom of Speech at a school and you do have a dresscode.

Kid should have known better.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    First this:

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    What a fucking snowflake.

This kid was going to ruin things for everyone. What seventh grade class gets to go to fucking CNN?? We got to go to a shitty little nature center and crap like that. A trip to CNN is awesome, politics aside what an awesome opportunity to see real shit that so few people get to actually witness first hand.

Then....enter snowflake.... CNN doesn't do this kinda thing because it helps them. They don't NEED to do this, its a service to the community. You better believe if you start getting kids who don't know the first damn thing about what they are protesting, actively protesting on field trips, that CNN would not invite anyone back again. So, you've got Mr seventh grade poli sci major who is about to ruin this chance for every kid at that school, and potentially other schools, forever.

Seriously.. fuck that guy.

If the kid wasn't mature enough to shelve his parents politics for 1 trip and just learn what he could then he was welcome to not go.
    Last edited by Wiyld; 2017-11-17 at 12:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Children do not have 1st Amendment rights while in school, that has been clear for many years. They can say the shirt is offensive, and be done with it. The parents can bitch and complain, but the school can simply say it was inappropriate.

Maybe parents shouldn't raise their kids to be assholes.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    You don't have Freedom of Speech at a school and you do have a dresscode.

Kid should have known better.
    I've asked this a few times, what part of the dresscode did he violate? You most certainly do have free speech at a public school, however you do also have to follow the rules.

"Tinker v. Des Moines. In their verdict, the court vindicated Tinker by saying students do not “shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate.”"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
    You're really comparing a kid straight up telling his teacher to fuck off to a kid wearing a shirt that simply says "FNN Fake news network"? Intellectually dishonest much?
    People are saying they are violating is first Amendment rights. Arguing freedom of speech in a school is just retarded. On both side... I'm not saying kid should be punished the same way for both situation, i'm saying that defending is right to wear a FNN shirt at a school trip to CNN because freedom of speech is extra dumb

Deleted
    I don't care for your petty feuds.
    When in a forum, you speak to the gallery. Have some decorum.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Children do not have 1st Amendment rights while in school, that has been clear for many years. They can say the shirt is offensive, and be done with it. The parents can bitch and complain, but the school can simply say it was inappropriate.

Maybe parents shouldn't raise their kids to be assholes.
    "Tinker v. Des Moines. In their verdict, the court vindicated Tinker by saying students do not “shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate.”

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalador View Post
    People are saying they are violating is first Amendment rights. Arguing freedom of speech in a school is just retarded. On both side... I'm not saying kid should be punished the same way for both situation, i'm saying that defending is right to wear a FNN shirt at a school trip to CNN because freedom of speech is extra dumb
    "Tinker v. Des Moines. In their verdict, the court vindicated Tinker by saying students do not “shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate.”

I can just link this all day. LMK when you get it.