Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Strifeload View Post
    Good news then.

PS:

Make sure to play on CRT monitors, just to get the real vibe.
    You honestly act like classic murdered your family or something. Are you okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthovind View Post
    We were created by the biblical God.
    There's as much evidence for Santa as for darwinian evolution.
    The irony

10+ Year Old Account
    MMO-C is infamous for its non-educated user group, what did I even expect.
    Most ironic thing in the thread right here.

If you must ask then you haven't played vanilla, or one of the now numerous vanilla private servers as I imagine is the case for many people now.

I think that's the best anyone can really say to someone that doesn't believe the talk about vanilla wow.
    Slow travel, no easy way to queue up for dungeons or raids, a long time to level up, strong enemies that force you to slowly take them out one by one, or in the case of elites being impossible for most people to take on by themselves, on paper these all sound like terrible game designs by todays standards.
    But every one of these things gets you meeting up with people, that's what makes vanilla important and I don't think it can easily be explained to someone that hasn't experienced what this means.

Quote Originally Posted by duannyboy View Post
    Mythic gear is just a tool to clear more raids, there is no community and no one else gives a fuck that you have it. Which may well be fine by you.
    I think i won the game of "spot the snowflake".
    There is no community because people in general are antisocial. They were anti social in vanilla too, because most of the time when you saw someone post it was to spam lf1m X class for Y dungeon, not because they actually WANTED to communicate with you. Forced "Socialization" Is not actual socialization.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Why.

Tell me. Inspire me.

Why do yo go back and not forward? Why would the human mind say no to QoLs changes over 13 years created for the major audience?

Why is this so great?

Say something.
    I'm going to be honest and maybe even a bit depressive. I have been playing wow for 12 years. In that time, I have been a class leader, a raid leader, and a guild officer in two guilds. I have raided in 5 guilds, and I have been a mythic raider who cleared content while it was still relevant and current. I have written a class guide in two separate expansions, and been a moderator of class forums. I have done everything I wanted or dreamed of doing in WoW.

Now, nothing inspires me any longer. I know what it takes to be in a Mythic guild and to maintain that lifestyle. It requires an enormous real life sacrifice that I am no longer willing or able to make. I have played long enough that I have come full circle. The game no longer amazes me. When I play it at all, it is just for the story, and to talk to friends.

The few friends that I still have in wow, are friends that I met in Vanilla. I do not think that this is a coincidence. We had to rely on each other to get things done back then. The other friends that I made in subsequent guilds and subsequent expansions have all fallen away. I believe that this is because the game is primarily a single player experience now. I cannot remember the last time I logged into the game and had someone happy to see me and ask me to join a group with them because they really need some help. I feel that the game has changed significantly from what it was, and although it is easier and more convenient in many ways, I also think that it has lost something along the way.

Gaming does not mean the same to me as it did when I was in my 20s. I see all gaming these days as simply a way to pass time, no different than watching television, or listening to music, or reading a book. It's just a way to pass away the years of my life. I do not think it means much compared to any other past time besides the few friendships that I take away from it. WoW is no longer improving me as a person, and I have nothing left to learn from it. In many ways, spending any time on the game is slowing my growth and taking time away from other areas of my life, and that is time that I am no longer willing to give.

For all these reasons and more, I don't care to play current wow any more. I would say something flippant like, "It's a young person's game," but it goes much deeper than that. I sincerely feel that the game has lost something along the way, and in truth I feel that the direction that the developers were taking the game in Vanilla was the version of the game that I fell in love with. The large raids, the epic feeling of progress and satisfaction when you did difficult content with a large guild. The long dungeons with very difficult pulls. We don't see stuff like that anymore, and I think the game has lost something along the way.

In short, I don't see playing Vanilla as any more a waste of time than playing current. Or rather, it's ALL just wasting time, and I don't think anyone has the right to tell me which version of wasting time is the best. To me, none of it matters either way. I just want to play a game I remember fondly, which to me is no different than turning on my Nintendo Entertainment system and playing through the Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Bros. I can still play an old game and appreciate it, regardless of how old it is. A good game is still a good game.

I don't get the people who want to stop others from just enjoying Classic. If they don't like it, they can just not play it. So why even get upset about it. It seems to me like everybody wins.

Finally... there's a part of me that for some reason is intrigued and thrilled by the idea that we might get something like 'Classic +'. There were a lot of things that I wanted to see slightly changed or improved about classic wow. Not in large ways, but in small ways. To me it's like a movie with a good time travel plot, like Ground Hog Day or Live. Die. Repeat. There's something fascinating to me about going back and doing it again, only slightly different this time, and maybe even better. Maybe this will happen, maybe it won't.

If it's a direct copy of Vanilla, I'll play it just to enjoy how things were. If it's something similar, but also slightly new, I can see myself staying and playing for a long time. I'm basically just waiting to see what it is at this point.

As for current wow... despite the changes and quality of life improvements and new storylines and expansions... honestly I'm very tired of the game in general. There are so many wonderful, new, and exciting games coming out these days, that I hardly see the point in just playing more wow. And I realize that this is may seem ironic and non-sensical to you, but basically at this point the actual tired, boring game to me is current wow. Classic Vanilla, as hard to believe as it might be to you, is something new and different. Another expansion doesn't excite me at all, but going back and experiencing the game that first got me hooked on MMOs, and maybe even seeing something new in that world, excites the hell out of me, and almost makes me feel like caring again.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbusg View Post
    If you must ask then you haven't played vanilla, or one of the now numerous vanilla private servers as I imagine is the case for many people now.

I think that's the best anyone can really say to someone that doesn't believe the talk about vanilla wow.
    Slow travel, no easy way to queue up for dungeons or raids, a long time to level up, strong enemies that force you to slowly take them out one by one, or in the case of elites being impossible for most people to take on by themselves, on paper these all sound like terrible game designs by todays standards.
    But every one of these things gets you meeting up with people, that's what makes vanilla important and I don't think it can easily be explained to someone that hasn't experienced what this means.
    Its not hard to understand at all.

Im just wondering. Why that thinng for slow travel and no easy way to socialize(premade list)and what not. Read it: QoL changes over 13 year to please you and you want to go back to puberty(thats what it is).

Why do you go back? Do you have some fetish for taking things slow, just to kill Rag again?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kilee25 View Post
    I'm going to be honest and maybe even a bit depressive. I have been playing wow for 12 years. In that time, I have been a class leader, a raid leader, and a guild officer in two guilds. I have raided in 5 guilds, and I have been a mythic raider who cleared content while it was still relevant and current. I have written a class guide in two separate expansions, and been a moderator of class forums. I have done everything I wanted or dreamed of doing in WoW.

Now, nothing inspires me any longer. I know what it takes to be in a Mythic guild and to maintain that lifestyle. It requires an enormous real life sacrifice that I am no longer willing or able to make. I have played long enough that I have come full circle. The game no longer amazes me. When I play it at all, it is just for the story, and to talk to friends.

The few friends that I still have in wow, are friends that I met in Vanilla. I do not think that this is a coincidence. We had to rely on each other to get things done back then. The other friends that I made in subsequent guilds and subsequent expansions have all fallen away. I believe that this is because the game is primarily a single player experience now. I cannot remember the last time I logged into the game and had someone happy to see me and ask me to join a group with them because they really need some help. I feel that the game has changed significantly from what it was, and although it is easier and more convenient in many ways, I also think that it has lost something along the way.

Gaming does not mean the same to me as it did when I was in my 20s. I see all gaming these days as simply a way to pass time, no different than watching television, or listening to music, or reading a book. It's just a way to pass away the years of my life. I do not think it means much compared to any other past time besides the few friendships that I take away from it. WoW is no longer improving me as a person, and I have nothing left to learn from it. In many ways, spending any time on the game is slowing my growth and taking time away from other areas of my life, and that is time that I am no longer willing to give.

For all these reasons and more, I don't care to play current wow any more. I would say something flippant like, "It's a young person's game," but it goes much deeper than that. I sincerely feel that the game has lost something along the way, and in truth I feel that the direction that the developers were taking the game in Vanilla was the version of the game that I fell in love with. The large raids, the epic feeling of progress and satisfaction when you did difficult content with a large guild. The long dungeons with very difficult pulls. We don't see stuff like that anymore, and I think the game has lost something along the way.

In short, I don't see playing Vanilla as any more a waste of time than playing current. Or rather, it's ALL just wasting time, and I don't think anyone has the right to tell me which version of wasting time is the best. To me, none of it matters either way. I just want to play a game I remember fondly, which to me is no different than turning on my Nintendo Entertainment system and playing through the Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Bros. I can still play an old game and appreciate it, regardless of how old it is. A good game is still a good game.

I don't get the people who want to stop others from just enjoying Classic. If they don't like it, they can just not play it. So why even get upset about it. It seems to me like everybody wins.

Finally... there's a part of me that for some reason is intrigued and thrilled by the idea that we might get something like 'Classic +'. There were a lot of things that I wanted to see slightly changed or improved about classic wow. Not in large ways, but in small ways. To me it's like a movie with a good time travel plot, like Ground Hog Day or Live. Die. Repeat. There's something fascinating to me about going back and doing it again, only slightly different this time, and maybe even better. Maybe this will happen, maybe it won't.

If it's a direct copy of Vanilla, I'll play it just to enjoy how things were. If it's something similar, but also slightly new, I can see myself staying and playing for a long time. I'm basically just waiting to see what it is at this point.

As for current wow... despite the changes and quality of life improvements and new storylines and expansions... honestly I'm very tired of the game in general. There are so many wonderful, new, and exciting games coming out these days, that I hardly see the point in just playing more wow. And I realize that this is may seem ironic and non-sensical to you, but basically at this point the actual tired, boring game to me is current wow. Classic Vanilla, as hard to believe as it might be to you, is something new and different. Another expansion doesn't excite me at all, but going back and experiencing the game that first got me hooked on MMOs, and maybe even seeing something new in that world, excites the hell out of me, and almost makes me feel like caring again.
    I swear, you are one out of 100(just by the bold sentence and few words).

Atleast in very rare case, someone can blame it on himself for just being grown apart, instead of blaming LFR and flying.

Thanks for being honest in a very dishonest community.
    Last edited by mmocd6fe3ee806; 2017-11-17 at 03:40 AM.

Its not hard to understand at all.

Im just wondering. Why that thinng for slow travel and no easy way to socialize(premade list)and what not. Read it: QoL changes over 13 year to please you and you want to go back to puberty(thats what it is).

Why do you go back? Do you have some fetish for taking things slow, just to kill Rag again?
    Slow isn't necessarily a bad thing. When the game is paced like it was, it makes the leveling a journey and interesting part of its own, where every level gave you something new, every dungeon you completed made you feel like you accomplished something, every piece of armor or weapon you obtained in a dungeon or a difficult quest gave you a significant power boost. Now you rush to 110, because there is no reason to linger in low levels where you can pretty much solo any dungeon, gear upgrades give no difference in power, and you have pretty much every skill for your spec's rotation by level 30. People simply enjoyed leveling, and you didn't really feel like you missed out on anything by spending time on hitting max level, since doing Zul'Farrak at level 45 was just as epic as doing Scholomance at level 60.

And no easy way to socialize meant you had a reason to talk to other people. And due to the slow nature of leveling, you could easily stay within approximately the same level range with each other, meaning there was an advantage to adding each other on friends list to do more dungeons together later.

Nowadays the game is only focused on endgame, and both pvp in low level and the leveling itself is simply butchered for the sake of rushing up to max level. And please, don't say that not using LFD or heirlooms fixes it, since it doesn't.
    The irony

Its going to be fun having blizz putting out huge content patches to watch people just play classic anyways.

Because we'll finally get another try at a community putting their money where their mouth is.

See deathmatch bg advocates before and after the implementation of TM vs SS.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Contego View Post
    Slow isn't necessarily a bad thing. When the game is paced like it was, it makes the leveling a journey and interesting part of its own, where every level gave you something new, every dungeon you completed made you feel like you accomplished something, every piece of armor or weapon you obtained in a dungeon or a difficult quest gave you a significant power boost. Now you rush to 110, because there is no reason to linger in low levels where you can pretty much solo any dungeon, gear upgrades give no difference in power, and you have pretty much every skill for your spec's rotation by level 30. People simply enjoyed leveling, and you didn't really feel like you missed out on anything by spending time on hitting max level, since doing Zul'Farrak at level 45 was just as epic as doing Scholomance at level 60.

And no easy way to socialize meant you had a reason to talk to other people. And due to the slow nature of leveling, you could easily stay within approximately the same level range with each other, meaning there was an advantage to adding each other on friends list to do more dungeons together later.

Nowadays the game is only focused on endgame, and both pvp in low level and the leveling itself is simply butchered for the sake of rushing up to max level. And please, don't say that not using LFD or heirlooms fixes it, since it doesn't.
    What you are saying is:

1)I have a car.
    2)But I love walking.
    3)Im forced to take the car.
    4)I missed walking.
    5)I can't walk because I have car.

Alright, great arguments. Very orginal and educated feedback as well.

I hope that ive made myself very clear, that if you want to argue with me, you gotta be honest.

Just tell me, that you are fcking bored. What happends with bored people? They reliaze in the end.

Tell me, why are you so hyped? Do you believe that "taking things slow" will boost the dopamin level to back in the days?
    Last edited by mmocd6fe3ee806; 2017-11-17 at 03:46 AM.

What you are saying is:

1)I have a car.
    2)But I love walking.
    3)Im forced to take the car.
    4)I missed walking.
    5)I can't walk because I have car.

Alright, great arguments.

Very orginal and educated feedback as well.

I hope that ive made myself very clear, that if you want to argue with me, you gotta be honest.

Just tell me, that you are fcking bored.
    No, what I'm saying is:

1. I have a car
    2. I enjoy the relaxing feeling of walking when there is no rush
    3. No one should tell me how I can't walk since driving is so much better and faster
    4. I should then be able to walk if I feel like it, while you should be able to drive if you feel like it, and neither of us have to impact each other's experience

And I'm not bored, because I don't have much time to play anything at all really, due to university and work. I just want to play the game I feel like playing when I do have time to play.

Edit: Another thing to add, is that today you need catch-up mechanics, so that you can actually feel relevant in case you make a new alt, join late, don't have a lot of time to play etc. Which is great for current wow, since without it you would be screwed due to people only caring about current raid tier in endgame content. But back then, you didn't need those, as all content was relevant content. While some guilds were running naxx, other guilds were running MC, and there were always groups doing the 5/10 man dungeons through the entire vanilla. Meaning you could position yourself at the level you wanted or felt like, and not being forced to focus on the latest raid tier
    Last edited by Contego; 2017-11-17 at 03:57 AM.
    The irony

10+ Year Old Account
    For me it's like reading that special book you can reread, or same with certain movies and TV shows. It's a story, which given the current game, isn't able to be told on today's servers.

Deleted
    No, what I'm saying is:

1. I have a car
    2. I enjoy the relaxing feeling of walking when there is no rush
    3. No one should tell me how I can't walk since driving is so much better and faster
    4. I should then be able to walk if I feel like it, while you should be able to drive if you feel like it, and neither of us have to impact each other's experience
    Im concerned that people are bored. They try hard to contain thier passion, but it can't last. Only a handful(just like in everything else), will appriaciate Vanilla in long term.

It affects me in a way, because we won't talk about fun stuff but why Vanilla failed when its released.

Deleted
    Why.

Tell me. Inspire me.

Why do yo go back and not forward? Why would the human mind say no to QoLs changes over 13 years created for the major audience?

Why is this so great?

Say something.
    Because oldschool MMO's played with your emotions.
    Your achievements meant something.
    There wasn't this "carebear" mentality where everyone is a winner. Nothing was handed out. It was earned and it made you feel special amongst the community.

I know i sound like a major nerd, saying a videogame meant something but it's true. Your achievements were out in the open for everyone else to see.
    It was more immersive this way.
    Sure it was a exclusive experience and this means some were excluded from the fun...but that created immersion.

Nowadays we live in a perfect world where everyone is having fun and no one ever feels bad. It's boring.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-11-17 at 03:56 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Because oldschool MMO's played with your emotions.
    Your achievements meant something.
    There wasn't this "carebear" mentality where everyone is a winner. Nothing was handed out. It was earned and it made you feel special amongst the community.

I know i sound like a major nerd, saying a videogame meant something but it's true. Your achievements were out in the open for everyone else to see.
    It was more immersive this way.
    Sure it was a exclusive experience and this means some were excluded from the fun...but that created immersion.

Nowadays we live in a perfect world where everyone is having fun and no one feels bad. It's boring.
    Yes, you are bored. Thats why you are in a limbo, desperate.

But you got Vanilla now, you see if its the same.

Personally looking back, the music I was listening to, my outfit, my interests, my friends, none of that is the same. Including my passion to Vanilla, which can only be neutral and expected.

Quote Originally Posted by time0ut View Post
    I am hyped for the leveling experience to matter again. I just leveled to 110. It took less than ten hours and I wasn't really trying.
    I am hyped to play with a stable server community. I don't think I've seen the same person twice since I started playing retail again a couple weeks ago.
    I am hyped for a social experience again. Unless you are looking to do the highest end content, there's no reason to form relationships or talk to anyone in this game. I might as well be playing with bots.
    I am hyped to customize my character. Every hunter I see is virtually identical to mine.
    I am hyped for world PvP to be a thing again. Its been damn near QoL'd right out of the game.
    I could go on. Blizzard did some stuff well in retail, but the game's soul is long gone. I am hyped to see it again.
    All of this and two more things....

A fresh economy... and the excitement of a brand new server with evreyone in whites again. Having experienced this on a private server... ti was nothing short of amazing... haven't experienced that in many years.

Im concerned that people are bored. They try hard to contain thier passion, but it can't last. Only a handful(just like in everything else), will appriaciate Vanilla in long term.

It affects me in a way, because we won't talk about fun stuff but why Vanilla failed when its released.
    Be concerned all you want. And it is true, people do get bored of games over time, that's why they buy new games and play those over the previous games. In this case, vanilla is essentially a new game, since it is so vastly different to live in pretty much every aspect. Some like it, others don't. You could pretty much use the same arguments you do for arguing against new expansions, since people are bored.

I do feel kinda sorry for you though, as you seem so personally invested in hating vanilla with no real reasons why. I mean... You keep asking for reasons why we want vanilla, but you don't tell us why you hate it so much. Must be hard to walk around with so much hatred within you, for something that doesn't affect or concern you at all
    The irony

Deleted
    Be concerned all you want. And it is true, people do get bored of games over time, that's why they buy new games and play those over the previous games. In this case, vanilla is essentially a new game, since it is so vastly different to live in pretty much every aspect. Some like it, others don't. You could pretty much use the same arguments you do for arguing against new expansions, since people are bored.

I do feel kinda sorry for you though, as you seem so personally invested in hating vanilla with no real reasons why. I mean... You keep asking for reasons why we want vanilla, but you don't tell us why you hate it so much. Must be hard to walk around with so much hatred within you, for something that doesn't affect or concern you at all
    Uff, right in the balls where it hurts.
    Well said ^_^

In this case, vanilla is essentially a new game, since it is so vastly different to live in pretty much every aspect. Some like it, others don't.
    Look I don't disagree with the general thrust of your argument but I have to say, Vanilla is not going to be like a new game. It's old and will feel old. Its lack of newness will be relevant to the experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Ill try to control myself on this post. So many reasons.
    1) Vanilla WoW made you feel like a tiny peasant in a dangerous world. You were not like a demigod. (When you saw Fordring holding the Ashbringer for the first time you were like WTF LOOK OMG). Now every retardin has one. Etc...
    2) classes had flavor. No homogenization of skills and abilities. (I mean in cata how many healing debuffs were there again? What class doesn't have a stun anymore? Etc...
    3) This one is a love/hate. I remember looking at Thottbot at the best 2h axes in the game (orc warrior main). At the top of that list, Spinal Reaper. I remember saving my DKP and eventually it dropped. I literally remember that entire ventrilo conversation to this day. On the flip side, I used Spinal reaper for 14 months. 14 MONTHS. That is how long 1 piece of gear could last you in Vanilla. Now, my bags are cluttered with shit and it doesn't mean anything to me anymore.
    4) Less internet anonymity. There were people on your server that were loved, and some that were hated. It was really cool to know people on your server, that you saw out in the world. Not just randomname-randomserver farming broken shore world quests.
    5) seeing someone at max level meant that they had invested a lot of time in their character. (kind of meh, but it means a lot to me)
    6) I am by no means the best player in the game, nor the worst. Usually a Duelist in Arena/ raider, etc... but Vanilla's skill-cap for a lot of classes in pvp and pve was low. But it was really fun knowing that your girlfriend who had never gamed before could chuck some frostbolts with the best of them. It didn't really matter if you were a mouth breathing keyboard turner, you could fit in to the casual guilds and still have a good time playing the game.
    7) and lastly, I have unfinished business! I never killed C'thun and never saw most of Naxx. I cannot say that about any other content this game has ever offered. I didn't raid in TBC, but they nerfed BT (buffed classes before wrath) at the end so hard that people were pugging it no problem.

Ok rant off I'll stop now.