Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Hardly. SMO is a far better game then a Ubisoft open world tower game that lacks an interesting story and has more copy pasted content then ubisoft games even.

SMO is reviewed better, will sell better, has far more love and diversity put into it, oozes charm while BoTW is about on par with FF1 in the charm category.

SMO is absolutely a masterpiece, BoTW is an over hyped game and only gets the resounding praise it does due to a great art style and being delayed for 3 fucking years and transcending 2 Nintendo gens.

I have to admit it's quite humerous to see Nintendo fanboys gushing about BoTW being revolutionary when it's mostly just doing things AC1 did a decade ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably because Edmund stopped having good music in his games when he pissed off Danny B?
    I mean, I agree with most of what you said. But Mario doesn’t really deserve a ton of praise either, IMO. Mario is Mario, regardless of what flavor he comes in this time. Not saying it’s a bad game, but it’s definitely not a groundbreaking or huge award winning game either.

Mario does so well generally due to the same reasons Zelda usually does: fanboys and nostalgia.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2017-11-17 at 07:19 AM.

I swear if a game like PUBG wins then I've lost all hope in these "award" ceremonies.

How does an unfinished game make it onto the list?

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    I mean, I agree with most of what you said. But Mario doesn’t really deserve a ton of praise either, IMO. Mario is Mario, regardless of what flavor he comes in this time. Not saying it’s a bad game, but it’s definitely not a groundbreaking or huge award winning game either.

Mario does so well generally due to the same reasons Zelda usually does: fanboys and nostalgia.
    By that logic, none of those games deserve to be in the goty category.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    By that logic, none of those games deserve to be in the goty category.
    Except that HZD and PUBG have absolutely nothing to do with nostalgia? And both are the first installment for their respective franchise. And neither are the same game over and over, just reskinned with some new features added in like every Mario game ever.

If you ignore all that, then sure, they’re all the same! /eyeroll

10+ Year Old Account
    So in other words, games that are part of a franchise should never win awards. Gotcha.

whats up with th Zelda boner? I havent played nintendo games for a long time, is it really that good or is it just caried by the name and nostalgia?

Zelda is very good and definately the best zelda since Wind Waker but it is overrated! However Mario Odyssey deserves all the gushing praise and hype its getting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    whats up with th Zelda boner? I havent played nintendo games for a long time, is it really that good or is it just caried by the name and nostalgia?
    It's unironically the third best Zelda after link to the past and Ocarina of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
    Gaming Award shows mostly being chances to advertise hasn't really changed much I see.
    I actually look forward to the reveals. I don't care one bit about the rewards.

Except that HZD and PUBG have absolutely nothing to do with nostalgia? And both are the first installment for their respective franchise. And neither are the same game over and over, just reskinned with some new features added in like every Mario game ever.

Just because that company didn't make a game like that before doesn't suddenly mean they're groundbreaking or award winning.

If you're trying to discredit Mario because"its been done before", then you can discredit nearly everything because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    Its okay but largely its the 'ubishit' open world 'find a tower to fill in a bit of the map and find the same activity but slightly varied on repeat' stuff for most of the open world. You find about a dozen locations where you get flashback cutscenes with dialogue but beyond that its largely "hey link heres this yellow point on the map go here" or "hey passing guy go this way for the zora area" and you mostly aimlessly fuck around.
    Its still fun but if you played MSGV for example you have basically played a palett swap of the same kind of 'plains and canyons' world with less story and cutscenes. Not horrible at all. But also very shallow.

So you're telling me PUBG isn't a more polished version of H1Z1?

You're telling me HZD isn't literally using the Ubisoft/Witcher 3 formula of sprinkling a world map with lots of side objectives?

What's so unique about these games that hasn't been done before again? Thanks for showing your bias, and being caught in a hypocritical statement.

What does Mario have to do with Nostalgia? How many 3D mario games have 15 unique open world sand boxes to play in again? You keep trying to act like SMO is just doing what every other Mario game does which is flat out laughable and wrong. SMO is open and free while being refreshing and new every time you visit a new kingdom. That's why it's getting the praise it does, not because it's "Mario".
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-11-17 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Just because that company didn't make a game like that before doesn't suddenly mean they're groundbreaking or award winning.

If you're trying to discredit Mario because"its been done before", then you can discredit nearly everything because of that.
    Where did I say they were groundbreaking or award winning? Stop putting words in my mouth to push your own agenda. But I’m not surprised this is coming from you considering it’s dealing with something related to Nintendo. Keep defending them to your dying breath, Joe.

- - - Updated - - -

So you're telling me PUBG isn't a more polished version of H1Z1?

You're telling me HZD isn't literally using the Ubisoft/Witcher 3 formula of sprinkling a world map with lots of side objectives?

What's so unique about these games that hasn't been done before again? Thanks for showing your bias, and being caught in a hypocritical statement.

What does Mario have to do with Nostalgia? How many 3D mario games have 15 unique open world sand boxes to play in again? You keep trying to act like SMO is just doing what every other Mario game does which is flat out laughable and wrong. SMO is open and free while being refreshing and new every time you visit a new kingdom. That's why it's getting the praise it does, not because it's "Mario".
    All of which has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make concerning Mario and the other games in the category. But you keep on doing you, Tech. Thinking your opinion is the only one that’s valid, as per usual.

I literally disagree with every single award so far.

All of which has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make concerning Mario and the other games in the category. But you keep on doing you, Tech. Thinking your opinion is the only one that’s valid, as per usual.
    So all of the games in the award don't belong now? Is this the goal post moving we're going with now? So what is the real GOTY since clearly the 4 highest praised games(P5, BoTW, HZD and SMO) all aren't GOTY and the most popular PC game in a hot minute isn't GOTY.

What's this magical GOTY Zephyr Storm nominates? I would say you should nominate Getting Over It. So you can get over it.

So there is 1, give me 4 more.

So all of the games in the award don't belong now? Is this the goal post moving we're going with now? So what is the real GOTY since clearly the 4 highest praised games(P5, BoTW, HZD and SMO) all aren't GOTY and the most popular PC game in a hot minute isn't GOTY.

What's this magical GOTY Zephyr Storm nominates? I would say you should nominate Getting Over It. So you can get over it.

So there is 1, give me 4 more.
    PUBG is hot garbage, just because it's popular doesnt make it a good or even fun game. H1 was the same way. Battle Royal games are the hot new thing on the market, and just because something comes out thats slightly better in a few aspects of H1 doesnt automatically put in contention for GOTY. The game is a shoddy piece of shit with terrible code that they copy-pasted from the Unreal Engine store. There is no story to be told, the graphics are from 7 years ago, so the game is totally reliant on gameplay performance and the player to make a narrative in the game. They fail at this, miserably. Since shit like this is common, and it's normal to experience multiple game-breaking bugs in ONE game

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    PUBG is hot garbage, just because it's popular doesnt make it a good or even fun game.
    I don't play or care about PUBG, but if I was an unbias person tasked with selecting nominees for GOTY it's impossible to overlook the impact the game has had on gaming in 2017. It's not just a DAYZ or H1Z1, it literally overtook CSGO and Dota 2 as most played game on steam. It overtook the behemoth that is LoL in twitch viewership. It has grown on a month to month basis and not slowed down.

It's not about your individual opinion, and nobody cares about it. People seem to be complaining about the nominees without arguing for viable replacements. In fact Nier Automata and DOS2 are both games you could easily argue for being nominated there yet people rather complain about the games that are nominated. Both Nier and DOS2 are likely victims of the 5 game cutoff in a stacked year and games that would be up there in most years.

Outside of those 2 there are no games even in discussion with the 5 listed as far as impacts on the gaming industry for this year, unless you want to talk about bad impacts on it.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-11-18 at 12:48 AM.

I don't play or care about PUBG, but if I was an unbias person tasked with selecting nominees for GOTY it's impossible to overlook the impact the game has had on gaming in 2017.

It's not about your individual opinion, and nobody cares about it. People seem to be complaining about the nominees without arguing for viable replacements. In fact Nier Automata and DOS2 are both games you could easily argue for being nominated there yet people rather complain about the games that are nominated. Both Nier and DOS2 are likely victims of the 5 game cutoff in a stacked year and games that would be up there in most years.

Outside of those 2 there are no games even in discussion with the 5 listed as far as impacts on the gaming industry for this year, unless you want to talk about bad impacts on it.
    GOTY is a video game industry impact award now Cmon....Cmoooonnnnnn. If that's the case than shit like Postal and that one other game a couple years ago where you just go on a rampage killing innocents should be nominated. GOTY entails fully completed games that gathered all around praise from critics for their direction, art, storytelling, gameplay etc... PUBG has none of that. Hell, even the majority of the playerbase hates the game and is waiting for some studio with an actual brain to pick up on the BR madness. Does that sound anything at all like a GOTY??

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    GOTY entails fully completed games that gathered all around praise from critics for their direction, art, storytelling, gameplay etc...
    Link to their site where they say this as you quoted. Especially the bold.

Link to their site where they say this as you quoted. Especially the bold.
    its impact doesnt matter, pubg isnt moving moutains, its just a popular current game. Nothing groundbreak or monumental.