Page 1 of 2
LastLast

BfA being focused on factions is a bad idea

As much as horde vs alliance is the underlying theme of the whole game, Blizzard clearly favor orcs vs humans. The game is way too narrow regarding the presence of other races in Azeroth or wherever the story is located. They need to give other races some love, and show that each faction is composed of several races. It is so boring and repetitive to always find the next hub to be orc-themed for horde players and human-themed for allies.

I main an undead, and as much as the undead are a part of the horde, I don't play it for the sake of them being horde, but rather because I like their looks, theme, architecture, etc. Now they are basically wiped off the maps, and it wouldn't surprise me if Blizzard built Orgrimmar 2 in the ruins of Undercity.

If Blizzard wants all the other races of the alliance and horde to feel some connection to their faction, then they better make them visible by having some hubs be themed with race specific buildings of races other than humans and orcs. Just placing a blood elf in an orc building isn't enough.

With the new warfront thing or whatever it turns out to be, it would make sense to make the horde's hub undead-themed or maybe even blood elf-themed, considering it is in Arathi Highlands. All I see is more and more humans and orcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastnar View Post
    They need to give other races some love
    They are doing exactly this. It was said that the faction leaders will be more involved in the story now, some of them are also the main focus of the story campaign similar to Illidan in Legion.

All I see is more and more humans and orcs.
    They haven't released a lot of information. It's too early to go all 'chicken little' and make assumptions like this.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    They are doing exactly this. It was said that the faction leaders will be more involved in the story now, some of them are also the main focus of the story campaign similar to Illidan in Legion.
    It doesn't help by giving faction leaders more showtime, . Sylvanas is basically a converted orc, living in an orc city, being leader of the horde. It wouldn't surprise me if Tyrande converts to human either, night elves are in the same boat as undeads.

I also think it is a bad idea because they said the same exact thing before MoP that the expansion will be all about Horde vs. Alliance, we even had that pvp hub patch, and yet I doubt people even remember that that was such a theme of the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I also think it is a bad idea because they said the same exact thing before MoP that the expansion will be all about Horde vs. Alliance, we even had that pvp hub patch, and yet I doubt people even remember that that was such a theme of the expansion.
    Exactly. Every single outpost was either orc- or human-themed, (not considering the natives).

It doesn't help by giving faction leaders more showtime, . Sylvanas is basically a converted orc, living in an orc city, being leader of the horde. It wouldn't surprise me if Tyrande converts to human either, night elves are in the same boat as undeads.
    You should read the prolouge to the new novel, she isn't happy about this either and the fact that she's away from Undercity has consequences. Of course it helps, fleshing out the leaders means also fleshing out the races and puts them into focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    They haven't released a lot of information. It's too early to go all 'chicken little' and make assumptions like this.
    Sure, but did you not see the preview? Not considering Kul Tiras and Zandalar, everything was orcs and humans.

Ehm as far as I know, Sylvannas isn't an orc is she?

This is one of the reasons I dislike the faction war story. Red blob vs. blue blob is just boring if there's no internal story dealing with the races that make up the factions.

You should read the prolouge to the new novel, she isn't happy about this either and the fact that she's away from Undercity has consequences. Of course it helps, fleshing out the leaders means also fleshing out the races and puts them into focus.
    Sure, the story is full of different races, but it's the in-game experience that is extremely homogenous. Giving each racial leader showtime in the form of a cutscene or two isn't really helping when the progression moves from one orc outpost to another.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm hoping they will use the displacement of the night elves and forsaken as ways to highlight their stories and give them some spotlight. That said, I hope they aren't the only ones in the spotlight if that does end up being the case. Pretty sure this expac will be a big deal for Gilneans as well, at least it SHOULD be. But I hope everyone gets a bit of love, even those lil gnomies and big ol' tauren.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

Giving each racial leader showtime in the form of a cutscene or two
    doesn't seem likely that a race focus is only done in cutscenes

Legion had a class focus and look what we got
    -) classhalls
    -) class quests
    -) class/spec-related artefactweapons
    Last edited by Maarius; 2017-11-17 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    I'm hoping they will use the displacement of the night elves and forsaken as ways to highlight their stories and give them some spotlight. That said, I hope they aren't the only ones in the spotlight if that does end up being the case. Pretty sure this expac will be a big deal for Gilneans as well, at least it SHOULD be. But I hope everyone gets a bit of love, even those lil gnomies and big ol' tauren.
    I 100% agree, I'm just a bit biased because I play undead and feel they've been out of the spotlight for a bit too long. But yes, every race should have their share of presence.

- - - Updated - - -

doesn't seem likely that a race focus is only done in cutscenes
    Who knows? But the fact that a racial leader's story gets told doesn't reflect on the presence of a whole race in the game, it just tells the story of someone of that certain race. I think they need to do more than just focus on the leaders to fill the void.

It was more varied in Classic era. Alliance's main capital was Ironforge, orcs were pitted against night elves, Forsaken did battle with the humans. Alterac Valley was a big thing back then, pitting orcs against dwarves. No bullshit about any High Kings back then either.

But yeah, it's mostly Orcs Vs Humans now. They really should make and effort to move on from that if they want us to truly accept a non-orc Warchief and non-primitive Horde races. Dwarves make the sturdiest fortresses too, so it's a shame human architecture is the one that's spreading.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

Sure, but did you not see the preview? Not considering Kul Tiras and Zandalar, everything was orcs and humans.
    If you don't consider Kul Tiras and Zandalar, you're ignoring about 99% of the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    If you don't consider Kul Tiras and Zandalar, you're ignoring about 99% of the expansion.
    I was thinking about warfronts and possibly the rework of other old zones. Kul Tiras and Zandalar is completely new content with it's own theme, so they're naturally not what I'm referring to.

Uh, Kul'tirans ARE Humans. Making them fat does not change anything on that point. It also makes the problems even worse Alliance side because not only is the main faction plot human centric (Taking back Lordaeron is irrelevant to the vast majority of the Alliance. Hell I don't even get why Anduin or Genn cares. The former has literally no ties to it whatsoever and Genn hated Terenas and his kingdom.) but the new continent is more humans as well. AND the first, and so far only, Warfront is another goddamn human kingdom.

To say this shit is overdone would be the understatement of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    It was more varied in Classic era. Alliance's main capital was Ironforge, orcs were pitted against night elves, Forsaken did battle with the humans. Alterac Valley was a big thing back then, pitting orcs against dwarves. No bullshit about any High Kings back then either.

But yeah, it's mostly Orcs Vs Humans now. They really should make and effort to move on from that if they want us to truly accept a non-orc Warchief and non-primitive Horde races. Dwarves make the sturdiest fortresses too, so it's a shame human architecture is the one that's spreading.
    I think vanilla and TBC got this aspect of racial representation spot on. Just check the questings hubs in Outland:
    Hellfire peninsula: human, orc, blood elf, draenei
    Zangarmarsh: draenei x2, troll, neutral night elf
    Terokkar Forest: neutral draenei, human/high elf, orc
    Nagrand: draenei, mag'har orc
    Blade's Edge mountains: gnome, night elf, neutral night elf, orc, mag'har orc, ogre
    Netherstorm: goblin, ethereal
    Shadowmoon valley: orc, dwarf, blood elf and draenei
    Sunwell island: blood elf with draenei presence

As much as questing sucked in those zones, the racial representation was really good. WotLK got most of this right too, albeit with a growing emphasis on orc and human, but it was in Cata that the orc vs human thing really took hold again.

I was thinking about warfronts and possibly the rework of other old zones. Kul Tiras and Zandalar is completely new content with it's own theme, so they're naturally not what I'm referring to.
    So you're worrying about pretty much nothing. There won't be any big zone rework, and we don't know enough about Warfronts to know what impact they have on the story.