Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilee25 View Post
    I'm going to be honest and maybe even a bit depressive. I have been playing wow for 12 years. In that time, I have been a class leader, a raid leader, and a guild officer in two guilds. I have raided in 5 guilds, and I have been a mythic raider who cleared content while it was still relevant and current. I have written a class guide in two separate expansions, and been a moderator of class forums. I have done everything I wanted or dreamed of doing in WoW.

Now, nothing inspires me any longer. I know what it takes to be in a Mythic guild and to maintain that lifestyle. It requires an enormous real life sacrifice that I am no longer willing or able to make. I have played long enough that I have come full circle. The game no longer amazes me. When I play it at all, it is just for the story, and to talk to friends.

The few friends that I still have in wow, are friends that I met in Vanilla. I do not think that this is a coincidence. We had to rely on each other to get things done back then. The other friends that I made in subsequent guilds and subsequent expansions have all fallen away. I believe that this is because the game is primarily a single player experience now. I cannot remember the last time I logged into the game and had someone happy to see me and ask me to join a group with them because they really need some help. I feel that the game has changed significantly from what it was, and although it is easier and more convenient in many ways, I also think that it has lost something along the way.

Gaming does not mean the same to me as it did when I was in my 20s. I see all gaming these days as simply a way to pass time, no different than watching television, or listening to music, or reading a book. It's just a way to pass away the years of my life. I do not think it means much compared to any other past time besides the few friendships that I take away from it. WoW is no longer improving me as a person, and I have nothing left to learn from it. In many ways, spending any time on the game is slowing my growth and taking time away from other areas of my life, and that is time that I am no longer willing to give.

For all these reasons and more, I don't care to play current wow any more. I would say something flippant like, "It's a young person's game," but it goes much deeper than that. I sincerely feel that the game has lost something along the way, and in truth I feel that the direction that the developers were taking the game in Vanilla was the version of the game that I fell in love with. The large raids, the epic feeling of progress and satisfaction when you did difficult content with a large guild. The long dungeons with very difficult pulls. We don't see stuff like that anymore, and I think the game has lost something along the way.

In short, I don't see playing Vanilla as any more a waste of time than playing current. Or rather, it's ALL just wasting time, and I don't think anyone has the right to tell me which version of wasting time is the best. To me, none of it matters either way. I just want to play a game I remember fondly, which to me is no different than turning on my Nintendo Entertainment system and playing through the Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Bros. I can still play an old game and appreciate it, regardless of how old it is. A good game is still a good game.

I don't get the people who want to stop others from just enjoying Classic. If they don't like it, they can just not play it. So why even get upset about it. It seems to me like everybody wins.

Finally... there's a part of me that for some reason is intrigued and thrilled by the idea that we might get something like 'Classic +'. There were a lot of things that I wanted to see slightly changed or improved about classic wow. Not in large ways, but in small ways. To me it's like a movie with a good time travel plot, like Ground Hog Day or Live. Die. Repeat. There's something fascinating to me about going back and doing it again, only slightly different this time, and maybe even better. Maybe this will happen, maybe it won't.

If it's a direct copy of Vanilla, I'll play it just to enjoy how things were. If it's something similar, but also slightly new, I can see myself staying and playing for a long time. I'm basically just waiting to see what it is at this point.

As for current wow... despite the changes and quality of life improvements and new storylines and expansions... honestly I'm very tired of the game in general. There are so many wonderful, new, and exciting games coming out these days, that I hardly see the point in just playing more wow. And I realize that this is may seem ironic and non-sensical to you, but basically at this point the actual tired, boring game to me is current wow. Classic Vanilla, as hard to believe as it might be to you, is something new and different. Another expansion doesn't excite me at all, but going back and experiencing the game that first got me hooked on MMOs, and maybe even seeing something new in that world, excites the hell out of me, and almost makes me feel like caring again.
    This is basically me. Been a hardcore raider in Vanilla. Classleader then. Then turned officer in that guild. Then left that guild to make my own guild with success and upped the hardcore bit... stayed GM for 7 years and each year upped the hardcore mode a little. Moderated my forum, became healingleader. Also doing recruitment... Managed the DKP site. Then quit cold turkey.... Been in 3 raidguilds when I came back off and on. I just feel like there is not anything I want out of retail WoW anymore.

All my friends are mostly from Vanilla or atleast until and including WOTLK. After that... with maybe an exception here and there... no one really sticks. But from WOTLK onward it became hard(er) for me to make friends... because of Crossrealm crap. But it must be me... and only me who can understand this... because if you bring this up... other people will say: "I still make friends everyday!!" - honestly I would like to know what their criteria is when someone is a "friend"... I recently said "hi" to a player and got a request to be realID buddies...

Because the game wasn't constantly holding your hand back then.

My main thing is that gear means something. Epics are epics. I will have them, I will get compliments while standing in IF and my e-penis will grow.

Jokes aside, it felt more like an actual MMORPG. Guilds meant something, world pvp meant something, doing quests and dungeons meant something. Attunements were important. The feeling/joy of completing stuff was so much higher then later expansions. I was happier on my first Vaelstrasz kill then any end boss in other expansions. (And yes I've done Heroic in WLK/Cata/MoP and Mythic in WoD..). It just felt like a much bigger accomplishment back in vanilla.
    Shadowlands - Server first 60 Rogue on Tarren-Mill EU
    Classic - Server first 60 Rogue on Gandling EU
    Server first Ragnaros, World 6th

They think they do, but they don't.

leveling, grinding, 12h av

It'll be very interesting to see how well Classic servers will do. My current attitude is that people are delusional in thinking Classic is worth more than a brief walk down memory lane, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Either way, it's not taking anything away from the main game.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Deleted
    The reason to experience the social aspect of the game again.
    I did start playing wow back in 2007 so no pre-TBC experience for me.

I love it to summon party members towards a summon stone. that moment you where realy happy with a blue item from a dungeon or even your first Epic item from a raid.

Your first mount you had to farm for etc.

Still. I love this game. but the challenge is gone. you faceroll lvling. Mobs are way to easy etc.

And of course flying in azeroth sucks. it kills the felling of true adventure and for some servers the world pvp.

I would totally play classic when it comes out.
    And not everything during classic was great. but still the game had a bit more challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Contego View Post
    Why do some people enjoy watching the older lord of the rings movies over the newer hobbit?
    Because one is a children musical and the other is a young adult heroic fantasy?
    The old and the new WoW are exactly the same. Same story, same classes, same abilities. Just one is worse than another, and there is no reasonable cause the prefer the older game to the newer.

This word "Quality of life changes" really got into peoples's head.
    Just because something is easier or more "reachable?" doesn't mean it is a QoL change, I'm lvling a toon in a new server without any heirloom and I just roll through everything, mobs, quests, dungeons... Everthing dies with 2 hits, its boring and dull, I don't care if raiding is more challenging now, I don't raid outside LFR and never raided in vanilla because I couldnt commit myself to a schedule, but I want the world to be more challenging, to feel like an adventure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strifeload View Post
    Why.

Tell me. Inspire me.

Why do yo go back and not forward? Why would the human mind say no to QoLs changes over 13 years created for the major audience?

Why is this so great?

Say something.
    If they take chess and change its rules, would you yell at anyone who still wanted to play chess?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Why because you don't like them?
    No, because between classic 13 years ago and today two things are still the same to me: I socalize with my the nice people i meet ingame and i don´t do LFR. So these two points are your point of view, but they are not mine and therefore only the first part will change (because there will be no LFR) but the second part will stay the same. If you dont do it now, you dont need to do it on classic realms

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    No you can't, because everyone else is still gonna use LFR, and LFD. People will do what is most efficient because it's most efficient, and what's most efficient right now breeds anti-social behavior.
    Yes and everyone flying is killing my game. Oh wait. btw lfr is not effiencent. It rewards bad gear for a lot of time. To nhc and mythic+. You can also socalize there.
    @Topic: I´m not hyped, i am curious. I want to see the reaction of all the people who are hyped now. What will Blizzard deliver? 1.12 and "purists" getting mad for the easy mode? 1.1 and the nost crowd whining because it is harder than they are used to? Will there be QoL changes? If yes which one? Will people be pleased?

I tried a private server and it was really really fast compared to my memory back than. I will try classic realms and I will see how the feel. Not hyped, just curious.

I am hyped for the forums after the server(s) go live. It will be a shitfest. Look at the forums now. People are forcing their opinions on others. There are even people trying to shut up others the disagree. Now imagine the servers are live. Some will like it, some wont. I will read forums and I will need a lot of popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I'm fine that people who like old WoW to play old WoW. I do mind when people go "vanilla is better than live".
    Why? Honestly. If someone else says they think (because that's all they can really say.....) that they feel Vanilla is better then live... why do you have a problem with that? I look at that comment and feel like: Ok... well I do not feel the same.

I look at current WoW... and feel that they would make the perfect game... if they just lose the crossrealm crap, the instant teleporters to dungeons, LFR and add: groupfinder serverwide (and it just finds you a group nothing else) - danger in the open world as in Vanilla .

Coincidentally they would be forced to merge servers... with all problems that come with it... but after that, it would be perfect.. (to me).

Current WoW is a shell of Vanilla. To me current retail is like a very hot girl whom you always have the same uninspired sex with and no possible way to have a meaningful conversation. While Vanilla looked like The Princess in Maraudon but was the best wife you can imagine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatfire View Post
    I can tell you why everyone wants to go back and not forward. Because modern WoW is junk. Its complete trash. People need to play a bunch of JRPG's, play some pen and paper Dungeon and Dragons, play some single player RPG's to appreciate World of Warcraft. Too many people want loot handed to them with no difficulty, grind, or effort to get it. All these snow flake, care bear, casuals ruined the game. It wasn't just them though blizzard listened to them or thought that they need to keep adding things to an already perfect formula. Blizzard needed to listen to the old saying of "if its not broke then don't fix it". They should have kept the old game structure and social structure of WoW and BC minus the flying mounts and built around that model as the base foundation.
    To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand vanilla WoW. The challenge is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of classic RPG (and I mean FIRST EDITION Dungeons and Dragons, none of this "Advanced" dumbed-down stuff) most of the content will go over a typical player's head. They will simply not understand the importance of grinding boars, and the existentialist meaning of it as a metaphor. There’s also extremely hardcore class balance and complicated mechanics (such as Frost mage rotation, the staple of Vanilla raid dps), which are nothing but further philosophical musings deftly woven into gameplay - pressing blessings for the entire raid as a paladin, only to see them fall off from the first players by the time you buff the last draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of Vanilla, to realise that these mechanics aren't just for gameplay reasons - they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Vanilla truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Gnomeregan binary code punch cards, one of which is a cryptic reference to Kafka's "Trial". I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Metzen’s genius wit unfolds itself on their PC screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Original AV. I can't wait to experience the chaos again.
    Professor Necomi - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Necomi/simple
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Yeah I know I get really mad when people say Mega Man 2 is better than Mega Man 3.

Oh wait no I don't because it's just, like, an opinion, man.
    That's it, outside we duke this out now!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    danger in the open world as in Vanilla.
    What danger?

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Plz, tell me where I can get fully optimized Mythic gear on a silver platter, I needs it...
    I'd also love to know where just 1 click can grant me everything I covet in this game...
    Great argument, because the only 'things' that exist in WoW is fully optimized gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Strifeload View Post
    Why.

Tell me. Inspire me.

Why do yo go back and not forward? Why would the human mind say no to QoLs changes over 13 years created for the major audience?

Why is this so great?

Say something.
    Because I like old-school MMO's and WoW. Combine the two and I have my perfect game

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Great argument, because the only 'things' that exist in WoW is fully optimized gear.
    It seems to be. Or why was vanilla considered "raid or die"? Yes, it was a super casual game compared to EQ/DOAC, but still it was raid or die at level 60. Go raid or get stomped. Fun times (as a naxx raider)

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Dying to pulling multiple mobs at a time and not being prepared for it, pulling an elite that you can't solo, etc.
    Exactly....but also elites wandering the world... try exploring in EPL for a while... when suddenly you are knocked 20 yards away from the spot you were on and you only hear something like: "HA!" x10 in a row. Before you realize that you are being raped by the courier...and her men... you are well dead... with no NPC in sight. Or... you saw a nice red puddle of ooze on the floor... Your cogwheel suggests that you can loot it/use it. So you do... and suddenly you are dead. You have no idea what just happened... so you check your combat log. It appears some crusaders just ganked you. But you were sure they weren't there when you looted that ooze... Or you are in Un'goro crater... picking flowers... suddenly the ground starts thumping... you look around but nothing in sight... You think it is because of the vulcano activity.. and shrug it off... The thumping gets harder... you check again: nothing... Suddenly you hear a roar... and you are at the spirit healer...