Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Link to their site where they say this as you quoted. Especially the bold.
    it's pretty much a given? I...I don't know what you want me to say. GOTY means best game, and it cant be good unless it's actually a complete game and has at least a couple of the aforementioned qualities...so it's implied, rightly so.

Oh and if you are nitpicking, there's this gem from their website plastered all over the GOTY nominees "The Game Awards recognizes and upholds creative and technical excellence in the global video game industry."

Show me PUBGs creative and technical excellence, if you do, I will gladly accept it as a GOTY nominee

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    it's pretty much a given?
    So you have no proof that's how they nominate their games then? But claim that's the way they do it?

There are literally 100s of GOTY awards given out every year, and each probably has their on criteria for nominations and voting. Acting like they all use some universal thing and that there is only one GOTY award is in fact laughable.

The only reason I pay any attention to game awards or E3 is because they're all cringe factories. They try so hard to mimic music awards shows. Every Ubisoft bit has made me wince.

So you have no proof that's how they nominate their games then? But claim that's the way they do it?

There are literally 100s of GOTY awards given out every year, and each probably has their on criteria for nominations and voting. Acting like they all use some universal thing and that there is only one GOTY award is in fact laughable.
    You dodged the question. Tell me what makes PUBG any type of GOTY candidate besides the ambiguous "impact" which means jack shit in any real world setting

You dodged the question. Tell me what makes PUBG any type of GOTY candidate besides the ambiguous "impact" which means jack shit in any real world setting
    The burden of proof is on you. You're the one who tried to claim you know what TGA critieria for nomination was. Now prove it, or move along.

You're the one claiming it shouldn't be there. Prove why it shouldn't be, using the metrics they use to nominate games. Have fun.

The burden of proof is on you. You're the one who tried to claim you know what TGA critieria for nomination was. Now prove it, or move along.

You're the one claiming it shouldn't be there. Prove why it shouldn't be, using the metrics they use to nominate games. Have fun.
    Keep dodging. It's right there, the last sentence for the VGA's "The Game Awards recognizes and upholds creative and technical excellence in the global video game industry."

Keep dodging. It's right there, the last sentence for the VGA's "The Game Awards recognizes and upholds creative and technical excellence in the global video game industry."
    So what about that statement proves PUBG shouldn't be nominated for their award again?

Your personal opinion?

You do realize it's the collection of THEIR personal opinions that nominates these games. Not YOURs, and even for the deciding the vote the fan vote only accounts for 10% and the jury the other 90%.

This is THEIR awards show, not controlled by you or your personal opinion and it has no place being argued here.

I'm glad Hollow Knight made it in there somewhere. That's my game of the year in so many respects. An incredibly good title like that becomes genuinely amazing when you consider the size of the development team.

So what about that statement proves PUBG shouldn't be nominated for their award again?

Your personal opinion?

You do realize it's the collection of THEIR personal opinions that nominates these games. Not YOURs, and even for the deciding the vote the fan vote only accounts for 10% and the jury the other 90%.

This is THEIR awards show, not controlled by you or your personal opinion and it has no place being argued here.
    Uff, theres that rhetoric again see ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Zelda for music? What music? If they don't pick nier, they don't know what they're talking about.
    I was very surprised that the music in BOTW is so 'low key'. At times there's nothing playing at all - which is a shame since my last Zelda game was Link's Awakening years and years ago on the Gameboy Advance and despite the limitations at the time it had strong music.

Nier's soundtrack is very distinct and incredible, though. It definitely deserves to win the music category.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Where did I say they were groundbreaking or award winning? Stop putting words in my mouth to push your own agenda. But I’m not surprised this is coming from you considering it’s dealing with something related to Nintendo. Keep defending them to your dying breath, Joe.
    It's not "putting words in your mouth". It's common sense derived from your own statements.

I mean, I agree with most of what you said. But Mario doesn’t really deserve a ton of praise either, IMO. Mario is Mario, regardless of what flavor he comes in this time. Not saying it’s a bad game, but it’s definitely not a groundbreaking or huge award winning game either.

Mario does so well generally due to the same reasons Zelda usually does: fanboys and nostalgia.
    So to you, a nominee for GotY has to be "ground breaking", or a "huge award winning game". Which is a fair view to have, except....
    The only games here you voiced distaste for are Zelda, Mario, and PUBG. Literally the only other way to interpret that would be that since you don't seem to have an issue with either Persona 5 or Horizon, you consider them "groundbreaking".

Except....neither of them are either. They take popular elements and polish them to high heaven yes. They're also great games I find worthy of being GotY. But they're also on the same level of "groundbreaking" as SMO is. If you came in here saying "None of those games deserve GotY", well, I'd scratch my head confused, but it's still a fair view to have. The issue here is that you're claiming neither Mario nor Zelda deserve it because they're not "groundbreaking", while ignoring that the other nominees are on the same level.

Also, because I see you make this false claim with absolutely no proof so many times- No, Nostalgia alone does not make a game wildly successful. Look at Duke Nukem. Look at Sonic. Those are series that people loved from the earlier era of consoles, yet...one flopped so heavily despite having years of hype behind it, and the other one is like a fish that can only remember how to swim half the time. Nostalgia will get the first wave of sales, yes. From there, what pushes it is the game actually being enjoyable. No one is going to give a new Mario game a 10 because "I really really liked Super Mario 64 guys". And it's not even a reasonable position to take if you're trying to honestly debate this, it's just something that highlights how much you have your own bias against Nintendo and refuse to accept literally anything good about them.

Also, just as a fun tidbit, this is only the 5th Mario game in this style (Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy 1&2, and now Super Mario Odyssey). So yet again, inaccurate of a statement to say "Mario is Mario, no matter what flavor he comes in", especially when Mario is probably the most diverse IP in gaming history.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2017-11-18 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Also, just as a fun tidbit, this is only the 5th Mario game in this style (Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy 1&2, and now Super Mario Odyssey). So yet again, inaccurate of a statement to say "Mario is Mario, no matter what flavor he comes in", especially when Mario is probably the most diverse IP in gaming history.
    It's really only the 3rd. SMG 1&2 are pretty linear objective based with little vertical depth to them. They fit more in with the 3D line then with 64, SMS and SMO.

It's really only the 3rd. SMG 1&2 are pretty linear objective based with little vertical depth to them. They fit more in with the 3D line then with 64, SMS and SMO.
    Fair enough, I just doubt Zephyr would care about that difference if he's already trying to lump literally all Mario games together already.

So all of the games in the award don't belong now? Is this the goal post moving we're going with now? So what is the real GOTY since clearly the 4 highest praised games(P5, BoTW, HZD and SMO) all aren't GOTY and the most popular PC game in a hot minute isn't GOTY.

What's this magical GOTY Zephyr Storm nominates? I would say you should nominate Getting Over It. So you can get over it.

So there is 1, give me 4 more.
    Out of all the games that are actually nominated for GOTY, I’d have to give it to HZD. Just my personal opinion and nothing more.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not "putting words in your mouth". It's common sense derived from your own statements.

So to you, a nominee for GotY has to be "ground breaking", or a "huge award winning game". Which is a fair view to have, except....
    The only games here you voiced distaste for are Zelda, Mario, and PUBG. Literally the only other way to interpret that would be that since you don't seem to have an issue with either Persona 5 or Horizon, you consider them "groundbreaking".

Except....neither of them are either. They take popular elements and polish them to high heaven yes. They're also great games I find worthy of being GotY. But they're also on the same level of "groundbreaking" as SMO is. If you came in here saying "None of those games deserve GotY", well, I'd scratch my head confused, but it's still a fair view to have. The issue here is that you're claiming neither Mario nor Zelda deserve it because they're not "groundbreaking", while ignoring that the other nominees are on the same level.

Also, because I see you make this false claim with absolutely no proof so many times- No, Nostalgia alone does not make a game wildly successful. Look at Duke Nukem. Look at Sonic. Those are series that people loved from the earlier era of consoles, yet...one flopped so heavily despite having years of hype behind it, and the other one is like a fish that can only remember how to swim half the time. Nostalgia will get the first wave of sales, yes. From there, what pushes it is the game actually being enjoyable. No one is going to give a new Mario game a 10 because "I really really liked Super Mario 64 guys". And it's not even a reasonable position to take if you're trying to honestly debate this, it's just something that highlights how much you have your own bias against Nintendo and refuse to accept literally anything good about them.

Ummm, no. Reading comprehension.....you have none.

That statement was solely in regards to what the other person had said about Mario that I was quoting. I literally only said that Mario specifically isn’t groundbreaking or award winning. Nothing more. Nowhere did I say anything that you are implying. So yeah, you’re putting words in my mouth. You know, for a moderator, you have a really bad habit of doing very un-moderator like shenanigans. Too bad reporting you for trolling and slander won’t do any good, because mods on this site seem to be immune to all the rules.

And your OCD need to defend anything and everything Nintendo is really starting to become a broken record on here.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2017-11-18 at 03:35 AM.

Out of all the games that are actually nominated for GOTY, I’d have to give it to HZD. Just my personal opinion and nothing more.
    I didn't ask you that. I asked you since you think so many of the nominations are wrong to put your money where your mouth is and say what you would replace them with.

List your 5 nominations if you want to debate and talk about it, instead of whining about games nominated without discussing games you think are great that should be in their place.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-11-18 at 03:40 AM.

I didn't ask you that. I asked you since you think so many of the nominations are wrong to put your money where your mouth is and say what you would replace them with.
    Only person goal post moving here is you. I never said all the games in the GOTY category didn’t belong. I was mainly calling out Zelda and Mario as not being deserving of their respective spots. Technically, PUBG shouldn’t even be considered since it has never officially released. Nowhere did I say all five didn’t belong there. YOU claimed I said that and then tried to come up with some asinine challenge to try and prove whatever point you’re trying to make out of all this nonsense.

So no, I’m not playing your game where you make up something I never said and try to get me to do something that YOU want me to do. I gave my opinion that out of the 5 listed GOTY games, HZD is the most deserving and actually deserves to be there.......which by the way completely disproves what you were trying to say of me earlier.

Ummm, no. Reading comprehension.....you have none.

That statement was solely in regards to what the other person had said about Mario that I was quoting. I literally only said that Mario specifically isn’t groundbreaking or award winning. Nothing more. Nowhere did I say anything that you are implying. So yeah, you’re putting words in my mouth. You know, for a moderator, you have a really bad habit of doing very un-moderator like shenanigans. Too bad reporting you for trolling and slander won’t do any good, because mods on this site seem to be immune to all the rules.

And your OCD need to defend anything and everything Nintendo is really starting to become a broken record on here.
    Except you're not refuting what I said at all, and instead you just fall back to the usual "it's clearly YOUR fault!", like you did with Tech too. And nowhere else did you say the other games aren't groundbreaking either. It's simple logic that would mean you find no issue with them, otherwise, why would you harp so much on Mario/Zelda/PUBG since your first post?

Otherwise, why would it be so hard to say "oh, no I don't think any of those titles deserve GotY"? You don't bring any facts to back yourself up, and then when questioned about it, you instead resort to attacking the other poster.

Only person goal post moving here is you. I never said all the games in the GOTY category didn’t belong. I was mainly calling out Zelda and Mario as not being deserving of their respective spots. Technically, PUBG shouldn’t even be considered since it has never officially released. Nowhere did I say all five didn’t belong there. YOU claimed I said that and then tried to come up with some asinine challenge to try and prove whatever point you’re trying to make out of all this nonsense.

So no, I’m not playing your game where you make up something I never said and try to get me to do something that YOU want me to do. I gave my opinion that out of the 5 listed GOTY games, HZD is the most deserving and actually deserves to be there.......which by the way completely disproves what you were trying to say of me earlier.
    So....I wasn't putting words in your mouth then, since my statement was "you don't have an issue with anything else but Mario and Zelda", and here you are, outright saying it.

And yet again, you're still missing the point that what you're criticizing Zelda and Mario for is the exact same type of criticism that can be thrown at Horizon. I mean, it's basically The Witcher, but replace monsters with mechs, and magic with technology. It's nothing groundbreaking.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2017-11-18 at 03:52 AM.

So you say games aren't deserving of being there but can't name the games you think do deserve it and should replace them?

So you're basically just arguing because you have some crazy vendetta against those games and don't even know what games you would replace them with?

Glad to see you finished your argument here, it was getting pretty boring anyways. To sum it up "these games don't deserve it, idk what games do". That's your entire stance. Nice bro.

Except you're not refuting what I said at all, and instead you just fall back to the usual "it's clearly YOUR fault!", like you did with Tech too. And nowhere else did you say the other games aren't groundbreaking either. It's simple logic that would mean you find no issue with them, otherwise, why would you harp so much on Mario/Zelda/PUBG since your first post?

Otherwise, why would it be so hard to say "oh, no I don't think any of those titles deserve GotY"? You don't bring any facts to back yourself up, and then when questioned about it, you instead resort to attacking the other poster.

So....I wasn't putting words in your mouth then, since my statement was "you don't have an issue with anything else but Mario and Zelda", and here you are, outright saying it.

And yet again, you're still missing the point that what you're criticizing Zelda and Mario for is the exact same type of criticism that can be thrown at Horizon. I mean, it's basically The Witcher, but replace monsters with mechs, and magic with technology. It's nothing groundbreaking.
    You’re so hopeless I can’t even laugh about it at this point. You literally claimed I said something I didn’t and continue to harp on about it after I told you otherwise. Keep going in circles all you want, Joe. I’m not getting into other retarded argument with you yet again where your delusions get in the way of reality. Bye.

You’re so hopeless I can’t even laugh about it at this point. You literally claimed I said something I didn’t and continue to harp on about it after I told you otherwise. Keep going in circles all you want, Joe. I’m not getting into other retarded argument with you yet again where your delusions get in the way of reality. Bye.
    My claim was "You think SMO/BotW don't deserve to be in GotY, but based on this post, you think the rest are fine, yet they also suffer from the same issue you're criticizing SMO/BotW for".

Your rebuttal was "I never said that, don't put words into my mouth" and then you IMMEDIATELY quote Tech and say "Yeah PUBG and Horizon are okay on there, but PUBG is debatable". You didn't say it yet at the time, I made an assumption based off of what you said and logic, and it ended up being right.