Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I really wish they would go back to letting you buy flying right away when you hit max lvl. Not only is it nice to experience the zones from another angle, they seem to design the world more realistically when flying is unlocked right away. I mean just compare Pandaria to WoD or the Broken Isles.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Every resource and ounce of energy devoted to classic (backwards) could have instead been devoted to moving the game forward. And any new hires that are being done for classic, could have instead been put towards BfA and future expansions.

The game should always be moving forwards, not backwards. Thats why people care.
    The game already took a step backwards when they decided to design without flying included. Taking more steps back seems in line with the current dev team's plan of cutting costs and stretching content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Echoherb View Post
    Pathfinder is a good idea. There is absolute no reason to be able to fly at the start of the expansion.
    Unless the content is built to actually include flying, with challenges and appropriate terrain for a flying player.

Honestly doesn't matter anymore: there is zero reason to play at launch until flying is ingame. You wait a few months you can do the same content with far less aggravation.

In Legion, I only subbed when there was flying (currently unsubbed until the whole Argus thing becomes irrelevant again) and been quite happy. I don't think I missed out on anything whatsoever since I didn't raid cutting edge mythic before anyway and the current catchup mechanisms actually punish you for trying to keep up with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    The thing about the classic servers is that it gives players an OPTION of how to play: Live or oldschool. Do flying players get the same treatment? Are there "Flying" and "No-Flying" servers?
    I see what you're saying now, but it goes both ways. I imagine that vanilla players were shocked when they could fly in BC. I guess you either renew or don't.

You know you will lol.

But we can already flight in Azeroth!!
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripz View Post
    I see what you're saying now, but it goes both ways. I imagine that vanilla players were shocked when they could fly in BC. I guess you either renew or don't.

You know you will lol.
    Shocked in a good way. I remember the reaction to flying in TBC, and it was nothing I but positive outside of a few world PVP gankers. And you know what? World PVP had already been cut off at the knees by battlegrounds and the honor system by then.

Also... people who don't want to fly can always just not use their flying mounts. They've always had that option.

As for resubbing:. No. I left in when it was announced that 7.1 wouldn't finish the unlock. I'm glad I did, especially after seeing the bait and switch with Argus. I don't expect BfA to be any different, but I'll reserve judgement.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2017-11-18 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by des1235 View Post
    Honestly doesn't matter anymore: there is zero reason to play at launch until flying is ingame. You wait a few months you can do the same content with far less aggravation.

In Legion, I only subbed when there was flying (currently unsubbed until the whole Argus thing becomes irrelevant again) and been quite happy. I don't think I missed out on anything whatsoever since I didn't raid cutting edge mythic before anyway and the current catchup mechanisms actually punish you for trying to keep up with the game.
    Yeah, I've also adapted to Blizzards' crappy design and stopped playing at launch. Launches have always been terrible anyway, cuz Blizzard always try to force their new "best ever" designs during launches, I don't know, as experiment, I guess, only to start getting rid of this crap later. I guess, some short term players, who have nothing to do with MMOs, come/return to play game during launches and Blizzard try to get as much profit from them, as possible. Also crappy outdoor design causes overcrowding, bottlenecking, even when there are not so many players around due to sharding, and makes game almost unplayable during launches. So, x.2 - is best moment to buy xpack anyway. But I've waited till 7.3 in case of Legion, cuz when 7.2 was released - I still had enough content in WOD and also...I was waiting for sale, cuz Legion obviously isn't worth it's price.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    The Pathfinding requirement is perfectly fine.

The time gating behind a patch or two is the part that is unnecessary.
    That is exactly my thought. But the devs hinted in an interview that they MIGHT add regions to the map with content that incorporates flight as a mechanic like they did in BC and Wrath. And thinking about the tournament in Wrath or Nagrand in WOD with that mounted combat, there are some possible enhancements in those mechanics. Or the 3D movement in Vashiir (not popular with some/many players) in Cata. Combine Vashiir movement with the mounted combat in Nagrand in WoD and you are possibly in for some interesting content in some regions in BfA.

My personal dream - just one location, dedicated to flying content. This includes leveling your flying mount - something similar to leveling artifact weapons. Having flying-related content, such as air races. Also lots of flying-related immersion, such as mastering your flying skills, getting reps with flying-related faction. I.e. something, for what "Don't like it - don't do it" would 100% work. Don't need flying mount? Don't like flying-related content? JUST DON'T GO THERE AND DON'T DO IT!

Bad thing - Blizzard are too lazy to do it. What I hate about current development team - it does bare minimum, needed for game survival, and nothing really fun and immersive, such as using flying as incentive to do content, instead of using content as gate for flying. Player housing falls into the same category. It could be extremely fun and immersive, but Blizzard think about cheapest way to milk profit only.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Expected, disappointed, sad. I hope they make the zones more bearable to get around like in WoD so it isn’t such a necessity to enjoy the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    My personal dream - just one location, dedicated to flying content. This includes leveling your flying mount - something similar to leveling artifact weapons. Having flying-related content, such as air races. Also lots of flying-related immersion, such as mastering your flying skills, getting reps with flying-related faction. I.e. something, for what "Don't like it - don't do it" would 100% work. Don't need flying mount? Don't like flying-related content? JUST DON'T GO THERE AND DON'T DO IT!

Bad thing - Blizzard are too lazy to do it. What I hate about current development team - it does bare minimum, needed for game survival, and nothing really fun and immersive, such as using flying as incentive to do content, instead of using content as gate for flying. Player housing falls into the same category. It could be extremely fun and immersive, but Blizzard think about cheapest way to milk profit only.
    expect the worst and hope for the best ;-) I guess there is nothing else we can do.
    Except blizzard is reading the forums if they have no idea how to make flying more interesting or a better part of the gameplay in general. There are some good ideas, even small ones.

I haven't had a character acquire flying in at least two expansions and I've still managed to level several characters to max with little effort.

Could care less about flying!

The last two expansions I played a couple months.. left until flight was in game, got it and played more. For WoD, the rest of the expansion... for Legion.. only a couple more months.

I won't be playing BfA at all. Flying is a big part of it... but the game in general isn't for people who want to be immersed into a fantasy MMORPG. It's a lobby with queued encounters.

I will play Classic... and longingly look forward to the BC/Wrath expansions.

So I really don't care if they ever add flying back to current WoW. Or tier sets. Or sweet weapons. Or fun.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marema View Post
    I haven't had a character acquire flying in at least two expansions and I've still managed to level several characters to max with little effort.

Could care less about flying!
    Then you shouldn't care about those that do.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrclyde-79 View Post
    Or the 3D movement in Vashiir (not popular with some/many players) in Cata.
    Vashj'ir wasn't popular because the itemizaton from quests there was terrible, you lost your mount speed for the opening stages, and it had the oppressive atmosphere of all that water. 3D movement was a factor too, of course, but it wasn't the primary reason for why that zone wasn't well received.

I would be really interested to see an entire zone completely dedicated to flying in the open air. Like others have suggested, maybe using some kind of system to level up your flying mount and give it new abilities. I'm beginning to wonder if Blizzard actually just doesn't know how to do it right. That wouldn't surprise me with Hazzicostas at the wheel. He's a raid/instance junkie. I really don't think he understands how to think in more than two dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post

I never understand why this didn’t just naturally start happening. In BC i could kind of see maybe holding back incase for sone strange reason flying wasn’t well recieved but in the expansions after Blizzard just kinda stopped doing anything even remotely with flying involved. Placing a raid entrance high into a mountain top doesn’t count. I mean stuff like this post. They wanna blame flying as this horrible thing that should have never been but rrally the problem lies with the developers doing nothing interesting with flying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Welp, time for the same 5-10 people to spend about 1,5 years discussing this dead horse topic yet again. Have fun ya'll.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a good thing. I don't see why people get so butthurt over not having flying. It makes the zones much more immersive.

Only problem I find is when they design shitty zones to navigate. Like the broken shore was a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Vashj'ir wasn't popular because the itemizaton from quests there was terrible, you lost your mount speed for the opening stages, and it had the oppressive atmosphere of all that water. 3D movement was a factor too, of course, but it wasn't the primary reason for why that zone wasn't well received.

I would be really interested to see an entire zone completely dedicated to flying in the open air. Like others have suggested, maybe using some kind of system to level up your flying mount and give it new abilities. I'm beginning to wonder if Blizzard actually just doesn't know how to do it right. That wouldn't surprise me with Hazzicostas at the wheel. He's a raid/instance junkie. I really don't think he understands how to think in more than two dimensions.
    One problem is the game doesn't really know how to think in more than 2 dimensions, and whilst it might be cool to pick on Ion it's pretty doubtful that he's the only guy working on gameplay ideas, especially when you consider Blizz have been fiddling around with flying combat since TBC and WotLK was originally supposed to have flying vehicles in PvP before Blizz decided they couldn't get it to work well enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Welp, time for the same 5-10 people to spend about 1,5 years discussing this dead horse topic yet again. Have fun ya'll.
    I always do :-)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ATZenith View Post
    This is a good thing. I don't see why people get so butthurt over not having flying. It makes the zones much more immersive.
    Problem is that you can only tell what you personally find more immersive. Doesn't count for everybody.
    And discussing is not really the same thing as "being butthurt". I personally have no problem with pathfinder and leveling on the ground (except for Cata this has always been the case). The only problem is that i don't see to stretch finishing pathfinder out that far after we have seen and done all the contend there is already , some do that even multiple times. Pathfinder itself, so doing multiple tasks that have to do with the world in order to unlock flight, is great. Accountwide even better. But strechting it out for no reasons is not ok in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ATZenith View Post
    Only problem I find is when they design shitty zones to navigate. Like the broken shore was a nightmare.
    You actually know that this goes hand in hand? Purposely holding flight back and make more terrain like a mace so that people follow paths that takes twice as long as if they would ride across wide open plains to where they want to get?