Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Hehe and I thought Jayburner is mostly about being drunk while having to deal with his nephew & girlfriend that bring chaos in his household :P
    That too.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    yeah for the most part.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Tviza's reply is the best repsonse so far..even though I think its garbage.

I think I probably have a lot of detractors, since I tend to go against the grain in discussions that have a lot of passion involved in them: Pointing out flaws in Russian collusion evidence would be a good example. I've also advocated against the morality of illegally immigrating, I've taken a position that there is media bias favoring the left in America, and on and on. Whether or not I'm a "good" poster, these kinds of positions are going to garner a lot of opposition.

But if you're willing to spell out your points and make your arguments without becoming hostile, and most importantly, admit when you're wrong, I think it's extremely beneficial to everyone, because a lot of people sure aren't doing that out in the real world. Forums like this give us a chance to have discussions about controversial topics that you just can't have with people you know. You can, but talking about these things with your family, your friends, or your coworkers is asking for a lot of trouble. Unless you just associate with people who agree with you, which teaches you nothing and encourages groupthink.

Places like Gen-OT are really the only kinds of places where you can kind of get to know people, but still feel free to post openly, even if your opinion is controversial. You won't be downvoted into silence and obscurity and you won't be banned and removed outright like other forms of popular social media, and you aren't risking personal drama by discussing it with people close to you.

So bring on the detraction, and let's talk about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I think I probably have a lot of detractors, since I tend to go against the grain in discussions that have a lot of passion involved in them: Pointing out flaws in Russian collusion evidence would be a good example. I've also advocated against the morality of illegally immigrating, I've taken a position that there is media bias favoring the left in America, and on and on. Whether or not I'm a "good" poster, these kinds of positions are going to garner a lot of opposition.

But if you're willing to spell out your points and make your arguments without becoming hostile, and most importantly, admit when you're wrong, I think it's extremely beneficial to everyone, because a lot of people sure aren't doing that out in the real world. Forums like this give us a chance to have discussions about controversial topics that you just can't have with people you know. You can, but talking about these things with your family, your friends, or your coworkers is asking for a lot of trouble. Unless you just associate with people who agree with you, which teaches you nothing and encourages groupthink.

Places like Gen-OT are really the only kinds of places where you can kind of get to know people, but still feel free to post openly, even if your opinion is controversial. You won't be downvoted into silence and obscurity and you won't be banned and removed outright like other forms of popular social media, and you aren't risking personal drama by discussing it with people close to you.

why am I still here after 6 years. You couldn't of said it better Dacien, no hate here.

Feels appropriate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Connal is a solid poster, but his main detractor might be me and I count him as a friend and my detraction is born of pessimism.

My posts are a mix bag, I have a dedicated core the hates every single thing I post, and I have people who love it. I am not sure what to make of that.
    That's cause you are a weeb.

Seriously though, I don't really have detractors, maybe someone that wants to troll me but detractor seems not likely.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I'm a good poster, the best poster.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post

quality post like usual dacien

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I'm not a great example of course...even though I think all my posts are quality. Do you good guys find it true?
    I think you must be either high or drunk when you post, because it tends to be really depressing stuff or random nonsense. Seriously dude, get some fucking help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    A man judges himself by his enemies.
    I should judge myself quite harshly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Maybe it's my moderator perspective tinting things, but I don't think there is any correlation between being a quality poster and having detractors. If there's any correlation there it's all, it's almost certainly the opposite: people that put out poor quality posts have very few fans, and those that might call themselves such are almost certainly coming from a it's-impossible-to-look-away-from-a-trainwreck lense and not that of genuine appreciation.

(that said, the inverse of that isn't really true, though; you can have a lot of detractors for ideological reasons and that doesn't mean you're a bad poster)

Being a good poster is about having quality, thoughtful posts that have effort put into them, and has points relayed in an eloquent and civil fashion. If someone does that, it's pretty much irrelevant whether I agree or disagree with whatever they are saying (within reason), I'd still consider them a "good" poster.

Conversely, if someone is condescending, hostile, or posts pointless garbage, I wouldn't consider them a good poster no matter how much I happened to agree with their points.

I think a big problem with the internet (and maybe society at large) is that we tend to overvalue agreement and undervalue quality of expression.
    The biggest load of horseshit I’ve seen posted. Not liking how someone expresses themselves being more important than if you agree. Sounds like pretentious nonsense and a good way to define ones precepts as dishonest and self important as possible.

Nevermind where people come from or the context of anything they say or even the process by which they get there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I should judge myself quite harshly.
    I judge myself the way I judge others, by the context of where they are at and over all ability and process to reason. Nothing more nothing less.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-11-18 at 01:54 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Good poster? I don't know about that. I try to, but I'm highly emotional, which often cause issues the longer a thread run. At some point I just have to close MMO-C and do something else to change my mind.

I have "detractors" in a political sense, but it's purely based on opinions and not about the content itself. A lot of people I run into during political discussions, for instance, are quite pleasant when moving to another topic. I'm taking part of the blame for that.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Connal is a solid poster, but his main detractor might be me and I count him as a friend and my detraction is born of pessimism.

My posts are a mix bag, I have a dedicated core the hates every single thing I post, and I have people who love it. I am not sure what to make of that.

Yeah, I like 'im, he's a pretty good guy. As for me I'd say I lack the self awareness to separate my benefactors and detractors. I r the dumbz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I'm not a great example of course...even though I think all my posts are quality. Do you good guys find it true?
    I have no problem with you one way or another, some of your post are hits, some are misses, really that is about it. I think obviously you attempt at humor which falls flat, but I give you credit for having the balls to attempt without going to the easiest or lowest hanging fruit

Do you have detractors? Yes but they are fucking people who by comparison you are fucking Shakespeare, at least you don't steal other people's shit and claim it as your own. I don't like your politics and views on shit, but just like everybody else you didn't put a goddamn gun to my head and force me to read your post.

All in all You @Jaylock, @Tennis, @GennGreymane a few others who try to contribute, I have a great deal of respect for. At least you try to engage in conversation. Not everything needs to be deep.

As for if I have detractors, I sure as shit hope so among the groups of self important types that hang out here, not that I aim to do that but seriously, the moment I stop being personally amused and having fun, is the day I stop posting altogether.

As far as others there are a handful I have really come to respect even if I hate them, and we disagree, because there is a fine line between me hating someone and me just generally seeing them as a dishonest douche.

Yes, some criticism of me are very fair. Doesn't mean I can or will do anything about it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Everyone here hates me because my posts are all amazing.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.