Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

I want to decide what your body must endure or not!

Suicide is illegal. Recreational drugs (sans alcohol) are illegal. Not wearing a seat-belt in an automobile is illegal. Abortion is illegal in many places.

Why do societies want to decide what other people's bodies must endure or not? What is the mentality behind this? I think I might be a sociopath, I don't want to decide what anyone's body must endure or not.

Because the people that made those laws were from older, usually more religious times and places.

Simple as that, nothing more.

They persist because a lot of people find these topics uncomfortable, and I'm sure you've noticed as you're on the internet, a lot of people say a lot of dumb, aggressive and passionate shit about stuff they probably would never think of outside of those circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Suicide is illegal. Recreational drugs (sans alcohol) are illegal. Not wearing a seat-belt in an automobile is illegal. Abortion is illegal in many places.

Why do societies want to decide what other people's bodies must endure or not? What is the mentality behind this? I think I might be a sociopath, I don't want to decide what anyone's body must endure or not.
    Protection from abuse and abusers. Drugs are illegal because the drug dealers commit awful things like murder and trafficking.
    Seat belts protect you but also the other person involved in an accident. There's after difference for the other person in case you live our die. Regarding suicide and abortion.... That's just specific from country to country... Where I live both aren't illegal.

Sometimes people need laws in order to stop them being retarded.... Like seat belts. Why the fuck wouldn't you wear one?

A country will always have an interest in their citizens being alive

Because you are the liability to the society due to your dangerous and self-harming practices.

Deleted

I personally believe you should be able to do anything to your body, that does not hurt others. This would mean you accept some restrictions while you have infants etc.

You should also handle consequences yourself, and not require others to pay for medical expenses and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Because you are the liability to the society due to your dangerous and self-harming practices.
    Exactly! Too often people forget they are part of a larger group and their actions or non actions can be beneficial or harmful to it. Prime example is health care. It is a liability to a society for people to not be covered just becasue they are "healthy". Seat belts save lives and keeps auto insurance affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by halloaa View Post
    I personally believe you should be able to do anything to your body, that does not hurt others. This would mean you accept some restrictions while you have infants etc.

You should also handle consequences yourself, and not require others to pay for medical expenses and so on.
    I don't see the issue, if you want to commit suicide and put your heart into it you won't have to deal with the consequences anyway? People that want assisted suicide are just to cowardly to do it themselves and want the burden of death to be on someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDestinatus View Post
    I don't see the issue, if you want to commit suicide and put your heart into it you won't have to deal with the consequences anyway? People that want assisted suicide are just to cowardly to do it themselves and want the burden of death to be on someone else.
    Yes that fucking cowardly, terminally ill 80 years old grandmother that can't walk or hold a pen anymore. How dare she.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

What you do with your body is obviously up to you. But when you get wasted and get on a vehicle and ram a couple inocent people on the sidewalk, than that's a crime.

"Your liberty ends when mine begins"
    Last edited by vitor210; 2017-11-18 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Yes that fucking cowardly, terminally ill 80 years old grandmother that can't walk or hold a pen anymore. How dare she.
    Yes, how dare she ask another human being to take her life because shes to much of a coward to OD herself. I genuinely can't wait for the inevitable "serial killer doctors" media piece at some point in the future. There are already doctors now that take lives against people's will, legalising it is going to make for some grand stories.

Quote Originally Posted by vitor210 View Post
    "Your liberty ends when my begins"
    Yes, I feel this way as well. I wasn't referring to actions that infringe on other's liberty, however. But I do feel that deciding what another's body must endure alone is infringing on another's liberty, which is why I don't want to decide that for anyone else but myself. Does this make me a sociopath, I wonder?

Deleted
    Or they are suffering from non-stop pain because of terminal pancreatic cancer and want to die in a dignified way instead of being splattered against the pavement?

Source: My father, may he rest in peace.

Because humans are stupid, emotional, curious and always thinks bad things happens to other people, but never themselves.

The idea that humans always knows and acts on whats best for themselves is a myth. In fact, the world would be way better off if there were a lot more things illegal, like nicotine and really unhealthy foods and so on.

But I do feel that deciding what another's body must endure alone is infringing on another's liberty, which is why I don't want to decide that for anyone else but myself. Does this make me a sociopath, I wonder?
    No, a sociopath would've wondered why he wasn't allowed to steal someone elses money if he could make better use of it. You're just not wanting to have other people dictate what you can and can't do as long as you're the only one needing to suffer the consequences, which is highly normal if a bit short-sighted (because even if on the surface those things doesn't affect others, they do.)
    Last edited by Thrif; 2017-11-18 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadpants View Post
    Or they are suffering from non-stop pain because of terminal pancreatic cancer and want to die in a dignified way instead of being splattered against the pavement?

Source: My father, may he rest in peace.
    Die with dignity? Can't be that serious about ending it than. Sounds more like an attention seeking exercise. If he had really wanted to end it there was nothing that could have stopped him. Guess he just didn't want it enough?

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I feel this way as well. I wasn't referring to actions that infringe on other's liberty, however. But I do feel that deciding what another's body must endure alone is infringing on another's liberty, which is why I don't want to decide that for anyone else but myself. Does this make me a sociopath, I wonder?

Ofcourse not! In fact, deciding what's best for another human being is a very old way of thinking, one that in today's standards should be behind us (again, not talking about criminal acts ofcourse)

Deleted
    Die with dignity? Can't be that serious about ending it than. Sounds more like an attention seeking exercise. If he had really wanted to end it there was nothing that could have stopped him. Guess he just didn't want it enough?
    More like it spread to his spinal cord, leaving him immobilized, meaning he would need assistance from his family to do it, making us murderers by the laws of our country. Also, splattering against the pavement or mutilating his body by jumping onto the tracks is traumatising for his nearest and a burden on society in general. He was serious about ending it, begged us to overdose him with morphine in his worst times, but would apologise when he came to his senses again because of the heavy burden he was asking us to carry. Luckily he slept in quietly as his condition worsened and complicated other functions of his body over a couple of hours, so he did die with some dignity. But our society is not equipped to help people like him, and would rather have them suffer until they die rather than help them.

If you can't understand that then I truely feel sorry for you, and if you're just trolling then I'll promptly block you so I don't have to read anymore of your garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadpants View Post
    More like it spread to his spinal cord, leaving him immobilized, meaning he would need assistance from his family to do it, making us murderers by the laws of our country. Also, splattering against the pavement or mutilating his body by jumping onto the tracks is traumatising for his nearest and a burden on society in general. He was serious about ending it, begged us to overdose him with morphine in his worst times, but would apologise when he came to his senses again because of the heavy burden he was asking us to carry. Luckily he slept in quietly as his condition worsened and complicated other functions of his body over a couple of hours, so he did die with some dignity. But our society is not equipped to help people like him, and would rather have them suffer until they die rather than help them.

If you can't understand that then I truely feel sorry for you, and if you're just trolling then I'll promptly block you so I don't have to read anymore of your garbage.
    So you think its okay as long as someone else does it? You don't think these deaths will weigh on the conscience of the doctor required to perform these procedures? You know they take an oath to preserve life right, you are fundamentally demanding that they break the rule that they must swear in order to be a doctor? If it bothered you so much, you should have done it for him but once again, you wouldn't have done it because you are to much of a coward. Instead you want to put the burden onto someone else.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-11-19 at 02:16 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I really hope your just trolling and your not really this fucked in the head have respect for peoples dead loved ones.

So you think its okay as long as someone else does it? You don't think these deaths will weigh on the conscience of the doctor required to perform these procedures? You know they take an oath to preserve life right, you are fundamentally demanding that they break the rule that they must swear in order to be a doctor? If it bothered you so much, you should have done it for him but once again, you wouldn't have done it because you are to much of a coward. Instead you want to put the burden onto someone else.
    You do realize that assisted suidice is an actual medical option in places and doctors are fine with it right?
    Last edited by Firatha; 2017-11-18 at 11:37 AM.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because this is earth and reality and we try not to allow those who aren't well to injure or kill themselves.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Drugs are illegal because the drug dealers commit awful things like murder and trafficking.
    Wait what? I'm pretty sure there would be less drug dealers if the drugs weren't illegal in the first place.