Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    I'd play on at least a semi-regular basis on a private server if I knew it would exist for years to come. That and it's legal status is what keeps some people away.
    Cool. 1 down, 1.999.999 to go.

On a more serious note, I imagine while the illegal status of pirate servers kept people away, I imagine the fact they are free may have off-set that, by attracting players.

not sharding the realms WILL actually take away from an authentic launch experience.

figure out what the average high was for a zone in vanilla, and set that as the limit before sharding happens.

Vanilla launch probably saw maybe 200-300 people in a starting zone, which sounds awesome!!

classic launch will probably see 2000-3000 in a starting zone.... sharding needs to happen. It is the cheapest and easiest way to ensure a vanilla experience.

if you don't shard. 1 of 2 things will happen. blizzard will either create 300 servers at launch (lol wont happen) or you will see 90k+ que lines (which isnt vanilla)

On the other hand, doesn't that mean people will still phase in and out of existence on your screen?
    Fracturing the player base like that is one of the big problems wow introduced to its players.

Maybe the original game had sharding like this, but they could only hold 2,500-3,000 people, not 10,000 and will be no better than the immersion breaking cross realm system.

At least that's what my extremely limited knowledge on the topic of sharding tells me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rupenbritz View Post
    there is literally going to be over 2mil people trying classic when it comes, you actually think they would go for 1 server?..
    hahaha, oh boy.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if they have to create some new tech for this. Maybe some sort of dynamic server.
    That's pretty much what sharding is.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post

Any sources that prove that claim? You just claimed it's a fact there'll be over 2mil people, when it's arguable that the entire population across all private servers, of all expansions, might not even break one million players.

And regardless of that, what you said in no way proves that there will be TWO MILLION players. In no way your statement even comes close to proving that number indeed is factual.
    Could be 6 Thousand, could be 6 Million also.
    The fact of the matter is that there is a large probability that 2 million people would want to try Classic out.
    If Blizzard does not make more than one server, this project is doomed before it started.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterwep View Post
    The fact of the matter is that there is a large probability that 2 million people would want to try Classic out.
    I agree there is a possibility two million people would want to try classic WoW. But a large possibility? Nope. That's a claim you'll have to back up, I'm afraid.

Nostalrius had 150k active accounts by the end of its life. That's not a "concurrent players" number. Like I said, adding the "highest concurrent players" numbers of all the private servers, of all expansions, I imagine you'll likely have a hard case arguing it even breaking one million.

Any sources that prove that claim? You just claimed it's a fact there'll be over 2mil people, when it's arguable that the entire population across all private servers, of all expansions, might not even break one million players.

- - - Updated - - -

Your sig makes your claim 100% dubious (not that it isn't, by itself, by the way).

And regardless of that, what you said in no way proves that there will be TWO MILLION players. In no way your statement even comes close to proving that number indeed is factual.
    The post I respnded to said there would not be 1/4 of that... no less "proof" of that either. But I do not need to prove anything... I stated an opinion, what I expect to happen. I don't have to prove it... I just have to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    This is all a non-issue. If there is anything that is good about bringing back to classic, it is that we have 13 year newer technology, bandwidth, and of course, experience with WOW as an mmorpg. They won't have a separate infrastructure team and we will have to admit that Blizz has gotten serving down pretty darn well.

Whatever they do will be just fine.
    There isn't shards in pure vanilla. The classic is not aimed to people like you, who want changes. Better play BfA mate.

It's cute that people think 2,000,000 will want to play classic lol.

My $0.02 - this isn't going to be successful. They should have never stepped in this hornet's nest. It won't be vanilla enough for one group, and it'll be too vanilla for the other group. People are going to check it out and then leave once the newness wears off (I'd say maybe five hours of gameplay if that). There will be some fans, yeah, but I don't see this being profitable for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    There isn't shards in pure vanilla. The classic is not aimed to people like you, who want changes. Better play BfA mate.
    You are so right.... there isn't sharding tech like there is in new WoW.. and yet with the new infrastructure offered by faster servers and higher bandwidth connections... private servers are able to have 10,000-12,000 people log into one server, instead of the 2500 it used to be for Blizzard back in the day.

Sharding was a bandaid for making servers appear full... that isn't going to be a problem with Classic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kragragh View Post

My $0.02 - this isn't going to be successful. They should have never stepped in this hornet's nest. It won't be vanilla enough for one group, and it'll be too vanilla for the other group. People are going to check it out and then leave once the newness wears off (I'd say maybe five hours of gameplay if that). There will be some fans, yeah, but I don't see this being profitable for them.
    If you would have told me that 3-4 million people would have played a game where they give you the END GAME WEAPON in the first 30 minutes of the experience.. I would have laughed. Maybe, just maybe, Blizzard knows something about Classic you don't.

The market is BIGGER for Classic than current WoW... it's going to be hard to swallow... but you'll just have to try. I mean, you wo';t have a choice when you see it happen. Fortunately with sharding you will not feel it too much in current WoW... as they will just group remaining players together to make it feel like a full server for you.

I suspect, instead of like current WoW that spikes 8 million players and drops to less than 4 million in less than 6 months... that Classic will start out will 5-6 million and then grow back to 10+ million as people tell their old friends.. DUDE.,. it's REAL... WoW is BACK!

This is all a non-issue. If there is anything that is good about bringing back to classic, it is that we have 13 year newer technology, bandwidth, and of course, experience with WOW as an mmorpg. They won't have a separate infrastructure team and we will have to admit that Blizz has gotten serving down pretty darn well.

Whatever they do will be just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

A perfect example of underestimating the draw a fresh start server, economy, and progression race offers.

This is going to be HUGE.
    The classic server structure is shitty and inefficient for bandwidth.

Classic servers are unlikely to have an entire team of server/networking engineers, just a skeleton team for that to keep it ticking.

If you want a smooth launch like Legion had, you'd need sharding and CRZ, which would probably require significant back end changes to the vanilla client. The classic server launch is going to suck ass, and after the servers have calmed in a month or two, it is going to look like doom is coming if they combine a bunch of servers.

Also, lmao, you sig remains to be one of the most ignorant things I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalorakk View Post
    From the server side perspective or from the client side perspective? If it's the former then how do you know? In case of the latter - wut? I used to play thing with dial-up.

Classic servers are unlikely to have an entire team of server/networking engineers, just a skeleton team for that to keep it ticking.

If you want a smooth launch like Legion had, you'd need sharding and CRZ, which would probably require significant back end changes to the vanilla client. The classic server launch is going to suck ass, and after the servers have calmed in a month or two, it is going to look like doom is coming if they combine a bunch of servers.

Also, lmao, you sig remains to be one of the most ignorant things I've ever seen.
    Yeah... I wonder if you realize that one of the biggest beef have with the current wow is this mirroring and CRZ system?

You are so right.... there isn't sharding tech like there is in new WoW.. and yet with the new infrastructure offered by faster servers and higher bandwidth connections... private servers are able to have 10,000-12,000 people log into one server, instead of the 2500 it used to be for Blizzard back in the day.

Sharding was a bandaid for making servers appear full... that isn't going to be a problem with Classic.
    I was actually being sarcastic, referencing your earlier thread but hey...

Quote Originally Posted by Kragragh View Post

I don't think Blizzard would invest in this if they didn't strongly believe it would be profittable. Keep in mind that the only cost of Classic will be sub. I imagine many people will be playing Classic on and off, between raiding in current x-pacs. Considering how time-consuming vanilla was, I think they may bank on it to keep the HARDCORE folks occupied, and don't bother adding tons of grind content to BfA. I think this would be good.

At first, I also didn't really see the appeal of vanilla, but the more I was thinking about it, the more I think I actually want to give it a go. And just for the record, I haven't been playing actively since early Cata.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrax View Post
    So sharding is pretty much instanced zones which was introduced in Wrath? If that's the case...I don't want that shit in Vanilla, it's basically cross server in a way and it's a very annoying feature even tho they did that to help servers load.
    Not really, phasing and sharding work differently.
    Phasing (WotLK) is mostly used to tell a story of a changing zone, ICC quests for example

Sharding (Legion) is utilized when you have an area of the map, that has too few/many players at it the game will automatically create a shard / disable a shard to get a decent number of players to anygiven area.

Classic will not have it's own dedicated server team... it will be maintained by the existing server team and use modern, existing server infrastructure. They may ad a few more adminitrators for specific duties... but they already have a team that maintains servers...

It is sure going to hurt when people see how Classic can KEEP it's subs while currnet wow drops then in half in less than 6 months. WoW has been pathetic at that for several expansions now. Classic will show how people enjoy playing a game, not a lobby.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it'll be bumpy. And I have my doubts about 2 million on launch. And I have my doubts about Classic RP servers. I can see 2-3 servers pr. region until numbers are more clear. And I think it'll be a bumpy ride.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Rupenbritz View Post
    Just because uninformed people make topics about "mega server!!!" doesn't mean you should fold into that thinking. There will be a need for AT LEAST three servers per region. One PvE, one PvP, one RP. And most likely they will need more then that at launch, then merge realms later on once the tourists leave.
    Wrong.

We don't need RP servers. You can RP in the pvp server.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

Your sig makes your claim 100% dubious (not that it isn't, by itself, by the way).

Herm, the server that shall not be named had 800,000 accounts registered.
    That means nearly 1million players tried it and played it.