Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Wouldn't it be better to shower positive reinforcements for those who are healthy and conscientious, while remaining neutral or ignoring those who are living unhealthy and degenerate lives? You'd seem to get the best of both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Not to mention Tennisace.
    Please. Look at this thread. It's about the perils of obesity. I do what I can to expose the risks and promote a healthy lifestyle. I'm part of the solution.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fat acceptance is as stupid as someone having Diabetes acceptance or Cancer acceptance, and celebrating that they are still healthy regardless of the Doctor saying their health was a danger to their life.

Problem is when you understand why people become and remain overweight, then the whole body positive notion crumbles. Truth be told they’re chasing the same thing that drug addicts do, and I don’t see addicts saying “chemical positive” This is of course different than some extra pounds, and unique features. I’m talking obese level woman who don’t want to face reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to shower positive reinforcements for those who are healthy and conscientious, while remaining neutral or ignoring those who are living unhealthy and degenerate lives? You'd seem to get the best of both.
    I think we are lacking positive reinforcement for people who exercise willpower. A lot of times it seems like people try to tempt those strong-willed individuals into faltering for some reason. It's kind of odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    That’s more or less what happens now, but I can’t say I’m going to condemn people who are turned off by it. It’s actually a good human instinct to be repelled by it. It’s a survival thing for goodness sake.

"Body positivity" is essentially the same thing as "smoking positivity" or "having untreated hypertension positivity" or "not believing in antibiotics positivity." Being overweight places a person at increased risk for many things, including premature death. As a physician, I'm not going to make people feel bad about themselves. But I'm also not here to sugar coat their health risks for them. I'm here to educate about their health risks. And help them improve if they want to. If not, whatever. But being overweight or obese is probably the single greatest risk factor for all cause morbidity and mortality besides tobacco abuse. No amount of positivity changes that. Period.

@Celista That really sucks. My condolences.

On the topic of body positivity, when I was younger, I was on my way to being morbidly obese. I'm still a bit chubby, but I weigh a lot less than I used to and it's always something I'm working on. I say this not to toot my own horn, but because I have stood at the edge of that abyss and turned away. I know what that journey is like.

When I was obese, I had never heard of body positivity or health at every size. I think if those things were more widespread when I was younger, and I believed in them, I would be dead by now. What I needed, was a kick in the ass. I ended up having a bit of a health scare. I now have Acid Reflux Disease and will probably need to take antacids for the rest of my life. That diagnosis got me off my ass. My doctor gave it to me straight. He told me the best thing I could do is to lose weight. The truth was what I needed, not platitudes.

That is not to say that you should shame or hate fat people. But you also should not coddle them. Hell, if a friend had approached me years ago and was like, "Look, you need to lose weight or you're gonna die and be miserable along the way. I'm gonna help you. Let's hit the gym before D&D" I probably would have gone along with it and had a lot easier time of things. I probably wouldn't have Acid Reflux now. Just my two cents.

Loving yourself is always a good thing...but you can be sensible about it.

I'm all for educating people...if they want to be. It's more liable to make people want to improve their lifestyle when other people would cut down on being stupid fucking assholes who try to shame and cajole people into losing weight because they're gross to look at, not because they matter as people.

There's a difference between shaming fat people: "Hey fatty, did you know you're a big fat fatty?"

And telling fat people that they are unhealthy: "You have a higher chance of dying prematurely due to your obesity"

The second one is not fat shaming.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Fat acceptance is as stupid as someone having Diabetes acceptance or Cancer acceptance, and celebrating that they are still healthy regardless of the Doctor saying their health was a danger to their life.
    I'd say the Fat acceptance movement is more comparable with the whole Pro Ana scene, since they are polar opposites of the same category.
    The difference is that one of them is far more common - and accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Look at this "body positivity" promotional image.

10 bodies and not a single one of them is healthy.
    Found something that better represents the whole body positivity thing.

I'm of the opinion that any interventions you make should be with those you are already close to - Yes, people who are grossly overweight are at higher risk for a bunch of bad things including death. However, it is NOT the job of you as random Joe/Jane Shmoe to bring up the obesity of someone you don't know anymore than it is for you to talk to them about their Diabetes/Asthma/Hypertension. If you are not a medical professional engaged in the treatment of a person or their direct friend (not just an acquaintance) you have no business discussing their health.

If you want to talk about laws/rules to benefit society as a whole to reduce obesity rates that's fine too - we should discuss those. That's why calorie counts are appearing on menu boards now.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Eat a salad and go for a run.

Another problem solved by the primalmatter next week world hunger.
    I have this friend. she used to be a runner. and then she got hit by a drunk driver, which luckily enough did not leave her paralyzed, but still fucked up her back. and cannot run anymore. cannot do anything but the gentlest of exercises. she eats salads. she also happens to have a hypothyroid disorder that has gone undiagnozed for years because doctors were utterly convinced that she just needs to go on a diet and exercise more. granted, yes she's been losing weight now that her thyroid is actualy being treated, but that did NOT happen from eating salad and going for a run. it happened from her fighting with doctors until they stopped trying to treat the symptom and actualy started to treat the cause.

this is just one example by the way, I know of plenty more. are there obese people who are obese purely because of overeating and not exercising enough? yes. I know plenty of those too, you know the once that eat half a dozen doughnuts... for breakfast alone. but for every one of those people - there are those who go untreated because of this narrow-minded view that fat is always a cause rather then a symptom.

so your simplistic throwaway sentence solved exactly nothing.

and before this gets brought up, I'm not a fan of fat acceptance. it was initially a good idea, to have people love themselves instead of being ashamed, but it turned into rejection of any idea of self improvement at all. this is the movement that shamed Monique for changing her eating habits for the healthier and starting to exercise, because she dared to realize that she cannot keep up with her children and she would like the not die early and be there for them. and its not like she is particularly skinny now, she is still a big woman, but just that desire to do better was met with anger and that .. is as bad as fat shaming.

however. to much of the opposite is superficial. its not about health no matter how much you like to pretend it is. its about looking conventionally pretty. if some of you cared about health, than you would be more concerned with what people can do, rather then whether their weight meets Hollywood "camera adds 20 pounds" standards

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    Please. Look at this thread. It's about the perils of obesity. I do what I can to expose the risks and promote a healthy lifestyle. I'm part of the solution.
    yeah you spam the forums with fat threads like you have some sort of fat woman fetish.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kreationkin View Post
    I'm of the opinion that any interventions you make should be with those you are already close to - Yes, people who are grossly overweight are at higher risk for a bunch of bad things including death. However, it is NOT the job of you as random Joe/Jane Shmoe to bring up the obesity of someone you don't know anymore than it is for you to talk to them about their Diabetes/Asthma/Hypertension. If you are not a medical professional engaged in the treatment of a person or their direct friend (not just an acquaintance) you have no business discussing their health.

If you want to talk about laws/rules to benefit society as a whole to reduce obesity rates that's fine too - we should discuss those. That's why calorie counts are appearing on menu boards now.
    again NOT A SINGLE PERSON IS SUGGESTING THAT WE WALK UP TO SOMEONE AND START A SERMON OF HOW THEY ARE FAT AND NEED TO BECOME HEALTHY. it's like your looking for a reason to be offended.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Body positivity movement is a feminist and a liberal garbage.

Feminism and liberalism only bring societies downfall.

As a far right man i can only express so much happiness when i see these ideologies harm so many damned souls. I can taste their suffering and it brings joy to my dark heart. When i see feminist women at 40 childless with cats to fill their void souls, when i see body positivity women fat as blobs... its heaven for me.

On the other hand im also grateful i can make a conservative, nationalist woman happy. My girlfriend who shares my ambitions and beliefs. We both like food like any other human. But when its time for diet and exercise we do them together, unflinching and zealous.
    This is what far right mean, zealous in your goals and ambitions, IRON WILL!
    Last edited by mmoc96b81ade63; 2017-11-18 at 05:21 PM.

Reading the comments of some others here...the point of agreement is to encourage healthier behavior. Unasked for advice is always tedious so don't give it. But if asked...

* Encourage drinking only within reasonable limits (1-3 drinks, nothing abusive).
    * Encourage good eating habits like meat, veg, some fruit, fewer carbs (by a lot), no snacking.
    * Encourage moderate exercise, esp weight training. Cardio for fun, like scenic walks or bike rides.
    * Encourage frequent breaks from desktops or video games.
    * Encourage stress relieving activities like bubble baths, yoga, stretching to music, etc.
    * Encourage more time off. Most people are only productive for something 5-6 hours max daily. Stay home and relax.
    * Fuck more, a lot more.

Personally, I take 90-120 min baths every other day and spot clean in between. I want to be clean but not obsessed. But the baths are so fucking relaxing I can't recommend them enough. It weird how its exactly what everyone used to do, but now is rarely done in favor of a shower instead. Trust me on this, put on some music, light some aromatic candles, get yourself a drink in a safety container, and take that hot bath. Just chill. Stop thinking about whatever. Listen to the lyrics. Sing along maybe. Get limp, let every muscle ease down. Wait for what I call the three sighs: they happen at about 20 minute intervals and represent increasing levels of relaxation.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    Found something that better represents the whole body positivity thing.
    This image is truth, in the end Body-Positivity tends to be the most flippantly hypocritical movement, its no wonder it emerged on Tumblr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is anyone not going to lose their mother to heart disease/obesity/diabetes?

People who grew up in the 60s/70's still put butter on everything and have misinformed ideas about health. They're also completely incorrigible. Anything you say to them goes through one ear, out the other and they just continue in their habit until both feet are amputated or they have a heart attack.

I had my mother in the gym for a few weeks, but that was it. There's no conceivable way to get her to quit smoking and stop consuming so much sugar, even after showing her I could do the same.
    It's a mental health issue as much as it is a dietary issue. She has demons and had a weird life and seeks comfort from food and it breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    https://www.ravishly.com/2017/04/03/...ody-positivity

Not a thread I thought I'd make.

This weekend I had a rude wakeup call when I found out that a classmate from high school had died in her sleep. I graduated in 2004 and this is the fifth death from my graduating class. One suicide, one car accident, one to brain cancer and two due to complications from obesity. The two obesity-related deaths were in the last year. One died from sleep apnea. The friend and classmate that died this weekend died from a heart attack. Her mother posted on Facebook that it had gotten so painful for her to move that she no longer could walk upstairs. Both classmates were well into the morbidly obese range.

I've always been a firm believer in loving oneself no matter your weight, but recent events are giving me pause. I certainly don't think we need to shame people for being overweight, and while I don't think that weight is a perfect predictor of health (there are plenty of thin people with terrible eating and exercise habits, for example), it is shocking to hear about classmates who are dying in their early 30s due to wholly preventable causes.

Just feeling a bit shocked right now. The obesity epidemic is hitting home.
    what a surprise that people who told you that obesity is a disease were right after all

lets guess what will be next - that being vegan is unhealthy too because people need animal proteins to function properly and that people who support antivaccination are completly retarded ?
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2017-11-19 at 11:45 AM.