Thread: MegaServer?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Emerald Dream PServer before Nost only had 900-1500 on I think and it was fine, don't need to have 10 000 constantly online like during Nost peak. Early/Mid Nost was perfect at like 5k uptime 2k downtime, and even 5k is a bit much.

Edit: also, even with a large population like on Nost of course you have more server identity than retail, but Nost compared to ED server was much more anonymous; leaving dungeons/ninja-ing/being a douche wasn't as bad a mark on you because the server had so much people on it and lots more people coming and going. In a way, although ED was more broken and had less pop, people there were way more dedicated than Nost. It might have taken you longer to find group for a dungeon but once you had one no one would leave.
    Last edited by JCD000; 2017-11-18 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    My point was that LFD removed a lot of the community that existed without guilds or without raiding but since you still need that community for mythic raiding then that portion still exists regardless of cross realm. Which goes to show that cross realm isn't really the issue but LFD is. I played vanilla.

Once again, you can still do what you just gave an example of with cross realm. So, do you actually have a relevant argument?

- - - Updated - - -

It's not cross realms though. It's LFD. Read above.
    Player 1: Hey guys theres a huge war in hillsbrad!
    Player 2: Sweet! Im coming.
    ...minutes pass...
    Player 2: fk im not in the same instance as you, its peace here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahij View Post
    Player 1: Hey guys theres a huge war in hillsbrad!
    Player 2: Sweet! Im coming.
    ...minutes pass...
    Player 2: fk im not in the same instance as you, its peace here.
    exactly. the server was the server was the server. best part was if shit was going down, you couldnt just server hop to avoid it. you had to deal with the ganker. you had to deal with the huge faction war at terran mill. you had to fight for spawns. frustrating at itmes? sure. but it was much more exciting than just having nothing going on at all. levelling in current wow is so boring and uneventful.

The leveling process was mostly made anonymous because you could do 10 levels in an area and all the content was soloable anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Then they just join that person's group and guess what? They're in the same fucking shard (instance) of the server.

- - - Updated - - -

Not a single fucking person ever thought it was exciting to compete for mob tags. You're just lying at this point.
    Raid is full. What now? You cant seem to really comprehend how badly crz/sharding hurt the community, so you should probably just stick with legion/bfa where you have those things.

10+ Year Old Account
    The leveling process was mostly made anonymous because you could do 10 levels in an area and all the content was soloable anyway.
    What a load of rubbish. This is "fake news" level incoherent drivel.
    You did not play vanilla, or experienced a brain injury since then.

10 levels in an "area"... LOL.
    So you could get to 60 by only visiting 6 "areas"?

All content was soloable... LOL.
    Push it to the limit

#NoCollusion
    "The Special Counsel did not find that the Trump campaign, or anyone associated with it, conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in these efforts, despite multiple. offers from Russian-affiliated individuals to assist the Trump campaign."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm talking about after vanilla obviously. Talk about having a brain injury. You can't even fucking comprehend a simple statement. I also meant hour, not area. Swipe texting on my phone + auto correct. Either way, it's probably true that you can do 10 levels in a single area right now.
    The old "it was my phone" excuse. Good one.

If you are talking in the present tense, about the current version of the game, don't use words like "was" and "could". It implies you are talking about the past. I believe this was taught in Junior High/Middle School. Maybe that is where you are currently?

The correct version of your sentence to imply the active retail version is:
    The leveling process is mostly made anonymous because you can do 10 levels in an hour and all the content is soloable anyway.
    But, thank you for making a point to the world about the intelligence level of people arguing for a modified version of vanilla. It speaks volumes.
    Last edited by Mullet Man; 2017-11-18 at 02:57 AM.
    Push it to the limit

#NoCollusion
    "The Special Counsel did not find that the Trump campaign, or anyone associated with it, conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in these efforts, despite multiple. offers from Russian-affiliated individuals to assist the Trump campaign."

- - - Updated - - -

Then they just join that person's group and guess what? They're in the same fucking shard (instance) of the server.

- - - Updated - - -

Not a single fucking person ever thought it was exciting to compete for mob tags. You're just lying at this point.
    The word i used was frustrating. but it was all part of the experience. its like dark souls, or even mythic raiding. is it exciting wiping to the same boss for the 50th time? no, its frustrating. but once you finally do it, its a great feeling. mob tagging was just one of the challenges i described about vanilla that would be frustrating, but at the end of the day, you felt like you earned your advancement.

10+ Year Old Account
    The mistake wouldn't matter regardless. Uh? I was talking about the past. It was a change made in the past. Several expansions ago. It's called context. If I left out the word "made" then using "is" would have been correct. It's not currently being made, it WAS made.

Just admit you jumped the gun and made yourself look foolish from a desperate attempt and getting a "gotcha moment".

- - - Updated - - -

Which is already wrong anyway. There's never nothing going on in the game currently. It's practically impossible to run out of content at this point.

No. No one ever felt like they earned or achieved anything by finally tagging a mob from some mage throwing down blizzards to tag mobs as they spawn. It was annoying and if anything it was relief when you finally got a tag and then you'd go bitch on the forums about how stupid their mob tagging system was.
    Please keep replying to this thread.
    It is great fodder for those trying to understand the mindset of someone who is advocating for CRZ on Vanilla.
    Push it to the limit

#NoCollusion

10+ Year Old Account
    I already made my point about your intelligence level.
    You are the one who keeps bumping this thread to the top so everyone has a chance to see it.

Not much to argue about on the CRZ side. It won't be implemented on the Classic server(s).
    Blizzard even floated the idea of a "pristine" server, without CRZ, last year as an appeasement to the Vanilla crowd.
    They understand the negative affect CRZ/sharding had on the community.
    Push it to the limit

#NoCollusion

Deleted
    There will be some overcrowding once the servers release, that's for sure, even if they would use sharding and instancing etc. I would prefer having more servers than too few, and rather risk being on a low pop server after some months than having to compete for every single mob, ressource etc all the time. That's not challenging, just really tedious.

As long as there are some guys left to do some group content, I'm good with low pop servers . So No Megaservers pls.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    So you would be happy if the only US Server would be a spanish one? And the only EU Server french?
    You sentence doesnt even make sense. get a grip, kid

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drudatz View Post
    You sentence doesnt even make sense. get a grip, kid
    Why does it not make any sense? If people think 1 or 2 server per region are enough, who says they will be english ones? Just assume in the US 50k players will play and out of those 40k are brazilian and 10k from the US proper. Why would Blizzard open up an english server and not a Brazilian one?

Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    That depends on what your metrics are. What you compare it to. In terms of private vanilla servers it was the closest one ever released.
    The metric is numbers from the year 2004-2006. 15k is around 6 times larger than a high population server from that era. If they have that size, they have to make changes to accomodate that and then we are heading towards that slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Drudatz View Post
    not true. we hadnt such a thing as a language barrier in vanilla so we dont have such a thing now.
    Wut ?
    You're aware that english, french and german servers existed from day 1 EU release ?
    I see no reason there can't be several servers with cross realm and shading technology. It doesn't take away from anything vanilla advocates have argued for.
    Are you trolling or just stupid ?

Quote Originally Posted by DeleteMyAccountMMOCSUX View Post
    No, it was CRZ, sharding, zoning, and LFD.
    Which made the entire leveling process anonymous.

Now you have a bunch of players that have no in game friends, no reputation, and no community, that need LFR to experience end game content.
    Your hate towards the current version of WoW is hilarious. Would be fun enough to take a look at your profile pic or username, but that you always have to diss WoW is kinda interesting. Do you have it in you to make a post without taking a nudge to the game? Did someone hurt you during WotLK?

Talking about current WoW without having any clue about it is beyond silly. Yes there are more "single players" now than Vanilla, but many of us still do it for the social part of it, just like in the "awesome" thing named Classic WoW.

Man i prefer capped servers i played on elysium having a 10k pop is not fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Dunno how big we were for total players but ER-EU was often full enough to give us queues for an hour or two.

Raid team wise I know the Alliance had three raid groups with a chance of getting the Scarab Lord - Lost Chapter, Unity Path and another I forgot. There were also numerous smaller ones who at least got through Molten Core and BWL (Order of the White Rose, who I joined in TBC, were quite far through AQ40 when Vanilla ended.) If we were short on raiders it's probably because our guilds were busy patroling Ironforge trying to enforce the red hat ban (RP servers are the best :-)

- - - Updated - - -

One thing that is probably for certain is they will need a lot more servers at launch than they will 3-6 months down the line. At that point they will likely need to do something to alleviate the problem of players stranded on dead servers, either free transfers, realm mergers or CRZs to give the illusion of servers being populated.
    I kinda worded 'fully clear raids' wrongly, what I meant to say was the number of guilds doing progression. If I remember correctly only about 3 guilds where actually doing AQ40 clears and where doing Naxx. I was on Horde, I think the only guild doing Naxx was (hard thinking here...) Aeon? I believe they where called that at least. Later on merged. Yeah there where queues for sure! I remember the MC disconnect into 2 hour queue very well. But I don't think it was known how large the server actually was. In comparison to Outland/Draenor/Kazzak it was a small server. But I had a really good time there :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DeleteMyAccountMMOCSUX View Post
    Thoughts on the best way to implement servers?

Ideally, one large PvE server and one large PvP server that could hold all players would be great, but I doubt the tech is available to do this.
    What happens if many servers are created at launch, and a few are dead after a few months?

A lot of the vanilla experience depended your luck of the draw with server selection.
    One potentially helpful solution may be to relaunch Vanilla as a separate product at first, and then include it for "free" with the next expansion pack, creating 2 waves instead of one huge one. Presumably, the 1st wave will be Vanilla fans, and any subsequent influxes will be the tourists, or those who didn't think it was worth paying for over BFA, or whatever comes next, etc.

As to dead servers, I'm afraid that this was calculated by Blizzard all along, as a way to monetize customers who wish to transfer off their lifeless server.

- - - Updated - - -

As to the server size, just a hunch, but I anticipate lower caps at first to spread population around (and help keep starting areas less crowded). Over time the cap will creep up higher and higher.... maybe.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's ok guys, worrying about too many people on your server will be a non-issue 3 months after the game launches.

Deleted
    Absolutely should not have a megaserver. The individual server community is very important. Running across the same people over and over while levelling, running dungeons, adding people you enjoyed playing with to your friends list, becoming familiar with the guilds that have formed on the server, that permanence is sadly missing. I hope they aim for servers in the 5000 to 6000 region. Larger than Vanilla at the time, but not too big as to be impossible. To that end, they're probably going to need dozens of servers at launch. Though I believe the technology now will be as such that Blizzard will simply be able to launch a new server as and when required.