Thread: American Food

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I studied in Ireland for a summer a few years back. The bread is definitely different. I liked it. I went to a few other countries and most of the food was great. Germany had good meat and beer. The most different food that I ate was from Copenhagen. The open fish sandwiches were really good, but very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    American pizza isn't really like Italian pizza either.

I mean, Italians didn't invent pasta
    If pizza is defined as a flatbread with tomatoes and other toppings then American pizza is in fact pizza. Modern pizza - flatbread with tomatoes and other toppings was created in Naples just so ya know. It was brought here by Italian immigrants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    If pizza is defined as a flatbread with tomatoes and other toppings then American pizza is in fact pizza. Modern pizza - flatbread with tomatoes and other toppings was created in Naples just so ya know. It was brought here by Italian immigrants.
    The tomatoes for the tomato sauce came from Peru. Before they had tomatoes they used grape jelly for everything.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    I never said fishy aftertaste did I? I reserve that statement for your mum.
    daaaammnnnn, savage mate

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I am familiar with the distinctions, would you have preferred "are the best"? The grammar is suspect either way.
    The forward slash essentially indicates a synonym.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The tomatoes for the tomato sauce came from Peru. Before they had tomatoes they used grape jelly for everything.
    Modern pizza originated in Naples in the 18th century. Tomatoes found their way there in the 16th century. What does this have to do with pizzas origins? Turning them into a sauce for the pizza is a fairly recent thing btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I wasn't overly impressed with the food in Florida

As for 'American Style' bought here it's usually always mediocre
    TBF, "mediocre" is Florida's motto.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Tripz View Post
    Strange, I've been in FL for 8 years and have never ran into this, usually it's like 2 tbsp of Everglades seasoning on everything to add spice
    It was in Orlando if that matters, I experienced this in at least 3 places. They also had this thing for A1 steak sauce lol.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    It was in Orlando if that matters, I experienced this in at least 3 places. They also had this thing for A1 steak sauce lol.
    lol. A1 has its place, but if I see a bottle sitting on a table at a restaurant I know I'm in for mediocre at best steak. It's best use, that I've found, is going into a meat loaf mixture.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    lol. A1 has its place, but if I see a bottle sitting on a table at a restaurant I know I'm in for mediocre at best steak. It's best use, that I've found, is going into a meat loaf mixture.
    Well I can't say I am one for sauce on steak virtually ever, except pepper steak but I can't say I don't like A1 sauce. Just didn't do it for me on a steak lol which was as you say, mediocre. IIRC this was at Denny's so that is all that needs to be said.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    thats it, im triggered.

you can find all kinds of food in FL. Southern, BBQ, Cuban, Puerto African, Jamaican, Korean, Chinese, Mexican, Brazilian, New England. Or did you just eat at chains?
    We ate at resturants and since when was Jamaican, Korean, Chinese, Mexican, Brazilian considered American food?

We ate at resturants and since when was Jamaican, Korean, Chinese, Mexican, Brazilian considered American food?
    All food is American food here. We're the masters of cultural appropriation.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Well I can't say I am one for sauce on steak virtually ever, except pepper steak but I can't say I don't like A1 sauce. Just didn't do it for me on a steak lol which was as you say, mediocre. IIRC this was at Denny's so that is all that needs to be said.
    Yeah, I have no issues with the flavor of A1. I won't put it on everything, but it's nice on some things. In my experience it's usually for people who order a steak well-done then need a sauce to cover up its dryness. Another good use: as a burger sauce with some crispy fried onions.

Most American food is not really American just modified food from the rest of the world. Cajun food on the other hand is uniquely American and really something to be proud of, alligator is really delicious and has a very unique flavour, my local supermarket has just started selling freshly baked cornbread too and it was a big hit with all the family.
    Really wish my local supermarket would do fresh baked cornbread, ugh. I've had it ONCE about 4 years ago and it was absolutely phenomenal

Most American food is not really American just modified food from the rest of the world. Cajun food on the other hand is uniquely American and really something to be proud of, alligator is really delicious and has a very unique flavour, my local supermarket has just started selling freshly baked cornbread too and it was a big hit with all the family.
    Cajun food is not uniquely American.. Cajun people are French speaking Acadians who are themselves descendants of French people.

The worst American food i've had is Mac and Cheese, my god, that stuff is just vomit inducing, completely gross, disgusting.

I'd like to try some gator dishes sometime though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post

Modern pizza originated in Naples in the 18th century. Tomatoes found their way there in the 16th century. What does this have to do with pizzas origins? Turning them into a sauce for the pizza is a fairly recent thing btw.

Pfft! Some Italian stole the idea from a Peruvian peasant who had a food cart where he spread tomato paste on a corn tortilla and added some llama cheese. He called them Pitsas.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2017-11-18 at 10:03 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    You said the food in FL was sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    Cajun food is not uniquely American.. Cajun people are French speaking Acadians who are themselves descendants of French people.
    In that case theres no such thing as American food because everyone is an immigrant

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    In that case theres no such thing as American food because everyone is an immigrant
    Chef Sherman is trying to bring Native cuisine back in high fashion... But, humans only got to this side of the world in (relatively) recent history.

Ultimately, and this is my opinion, true "native" cuisine is using the things that grow or live near you. Thus, something like Cajun, where the ingredients all can be found out in the bayou, is native cuisine to that part of the world.

I'll add that techniques may be foreign. This is the case with Cajun and Creole. You can even look to Vietnam, which uses many French techniques.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRainingMetal View Post
    The worst American food i've had is Mac and Cheese, my god, that stuff is just vomit inducing, completely gross, disgusting.

I'd like to try some gator dishes sometime though.
    Actually the British get the blame for that.

He probably meant the Kraft variety, which they can disown completely.

Well, shit.

Literally.