Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by asil View Post
    I mean, anyone that tries to claim vanilla wow was hard is just straight up living in an alternate reality. The game wasn't hard, that's evident by the videos from vanilla you can go watch.
    You are aware most of those videos posted are from private servers and not real vanilla videos right? Also factor in we had a ton less abilities to deal with situations like we have now, mana management was actually a thing, threat was a thing, various classes/specs were not allowed..........oh and I doubt you raided in Vanilla or you would know this.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuzaz View Post
    In my opinion the game wasnt hard, it was just hard to find good players, theres alot more good players now. Most of the people you faced in world pvp were just bad - keyboard turning, backpeddaling, clicking interrupt and so on.
    Your latter point still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by DeleteMyAccountMMOCSUX View Post
    The open world was more dangerous for most classes.
    Does that make it harder is up for interpretation.
    I don't think there's really any other way to interpret it. The world is more dangerous and unforgiving therefore it is harder. It takes real mental gymnastics to ge around it.

If only even half the mechanics and mob abilities worked on those private servers i wouldn't have even consider to subscribe to Blizzard servers, but as a cherry on the top they are also nerfed down versions of blizzlike vanilla WoW as the game was in 2004-2006.

I'm currently playing on one of them and the game there is like having a "don't hurt me" option selected on launcher menu.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RapBreon View Post
    I think it honestly needs to have its difficulty increase for not only longevity's sake, but also to provide that 'authentic experience'. Guarantee steamrolling them will not feel authentic, if they feel as hard as they remember (because they are in fact harder) will probably ignite nostalgia much more effectively.
    Yup.

Everyone has better pcs, better net, discord farming servers, 1.12.1 talents, better itemization, pre-bis routes and leveling routes. People know all the mind control tricks, the classes and meta stacking. It's a joke. Even if they do progressive content, it doesn't make it difficult enough.

There's a reason private servers literally became "Waiting for Naxx" servers. Everything was zerg rushed and you just waited for Naxx to be scripted or released.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by darkvexen View Post
    The game is still a good game, but its not this glorified version of the game everyone makes it out to be.

Theres no real daunting mechanics in vanilla, everything just hits harder. "

The last thing I would like to say, think of the two versions of the game as separate games, because they really are.
    I'm a big fan of Vanilla and look forward to it - played on Elyisum too with a 60 mage and 33 warrior

Believe you're absolutely correct in your above assertions - there are significant differences in how the game feels but difficulty in the sense of complex mechanics goes to retail, not classic.

I mean look at Hakkar! Deal with MC + 1 person on getting Sons for Blood + 1 person to cc Sons = basic AF. Hard back when we were noobs 13 years ago but now after fights like Lich King these are easy mode.

Still super excited about it and people will still struggle with the content!

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solarfallz View Post
    I don't think there's really any other way to interpret it. The world is more dangerous and unforgiving therefore it is harder. It takes real mental gymnastics to ge around it.
    B-b-b-b-but MUH MITIKZ TAEK SKILLZ0RZ

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    Yup.

Everyone has better pcs, better net, discord farming servers, 1.12.1 talents, better itemization, pre-bis routes and leveling routes. People know all the mind control tricks, the classes and meta stacking. It's a joke. Even if they do progressive content, it doesn't make it difficult enough.

There's a reason private servers literally became "Waiting for Naxx" servers. Everything was zerg rushed and you just waited for Naxx to be scripted or released.
    Nobady wants to play vannila becouse of raiding. Nobady. People want back old vannila community. Even when vannila isnt that hard as current mythic if we ofcourse ignore fact that current game have easy mods and QoL that games pretty much plays it self but hey nobady gives **** as long as there is community.

Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    that kind of counters the difficulty of todays raiding and frankly I would rather have fewer mechanics that are a ton less forgiving than 40 mechanics that are not raid wipers.
    Lol, you must've only raided normal mode. In the last part of Mythic ToS pretty much any fuck up on any of the mechanics means death and usually a raid wipe. In Vanilla WoW you could have half the raid AFK and still kill bosses. Most people were fucking horrible in vanilla, had no idea how to play or gear their class and were basically there just to fill up the 40 man raids. You can find multiple world first kill videos from back then showing clickers and keyboard turners.

You are aware most of those videos posted are from private servers and not real vanilla videos right? Also factor in we had a ton less abilities to deal with situations like we have now, mana management was actually a thing, threat was a thing, various classes/specs were not allowed..........oh and I doubt you raided in Vanilla or you would know this.
    Having less abilities just makes the game easier. Many classes had 1-2 button rotations without any procs or whatsoever. Threat was easily managed with an add-on, it was just a nuisance especially if you played classes without threat reduction spells.

10+ Year Old Account
    ^ such grammar gore

OT: Idk, i play the game since the early days and i have to say, the annoyance level isn't lower or higher, regardless which expac you choose. Mythic raiding isn't that hard today as well as it was raiding in classic. The things any individual player has to do is marginal. No one should be overwhelmed in terms of actions. The reality is, that albeit it's not that hard for one, it's hard to get the whole raid to execute the tactic in a correct manner. I was raidlead in Classic/TBC/WotLK/Cataclysm and saw the abyss, literally. The reason why i don't raid anymore is, the annoyance level is still high, but it's not the difficulty or time which i could not handle. It's simply not fun to play with people who think they must act like a world first guild but aren't able to handle simple things like running out of bad stuff.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Considering Vanilla had hardly situations where you needed "extra" abilities kind of defeats your point. Also Mana Management and Threat were onlya concern for bad players.

Kind of funny as well when you see world first Raiders that also raided in Vanilla saying that the "hardest" raids they ever did where in expansions made years after Vanilla.

The fact raids were 40 man but you could do them with only 20 people actually being useful is basically evidence of itself. Since that is generally what happens in todays LFR difficulty.

But please, do go on telling people how WoW was hard in Vanilla, It's actually pretty telling of how bad people were as players when they constantly keep saying it..

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact raids were 40 man but you could do them with only 20 people
    I've never seen AQ40 in classic done by 20 people, nor BWL or Naxxramas. In MC, ok if people are geared and now what to do, but it's simply not true that the entire classic content is doable with 20 people.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

10+ Year Old Account
    if people want to spend hours in a damn dungeon let them spend hours in said dungeon lol
    people arent playing vanilla for efficiency theyre playing it for immersion, pace and old game structure
    Whether the world's greatest gnats, or the world's greats heroes, you're still only mortal!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    Lol, you must've only raided normal mode. In the last part of Mythic ToS pretty much any fuck up on any of the mechanics means death and usually a raid wipe. In Vanilla WoW you could have half the raid AFK and still kill bosses. Most people were fucking horrible in vanilla, had no idea how to play or gear their class and were basically there just to fill up the 40 man raids. You can find multiple world first kill videos from back then showing clickers and keyboard turners.

Having less abilities just makes the game easier. Many classes had 1-2 button rotations without any procs or whatsoever. Threat was easily managed with an add-on, it was just a nuisance especially if you played classes without threat reduction spells.
    It's telling when you need to get to the 4th difficulty in order for it to be hard huh? I usually got to heroic before I got bored of seeing the same raid over and over and over and over with the only difference being how hard things hit, and I mean sure less buttons made things easier as long as you didn't need your "oh shit" buttons to self heal or get out of bad in a hurry because those didn't exist.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkvexen View Post
    Like ive always said, Theres no real daunting mechanics in vanilla, everything just hits harder. Do a mythic raid, and then tell me which one is "harder"
    You are comparing apples and oranges. Vanilla / BC required players to do their roles via tasks such as cc which were critically important; so every different class you bring to a raid was a different experience that you had to learn. An uber high dps hunter that couldn't trap to save his life had limited value.

Now you have lots more mechanics, but it is the same experience because *all* you care about the dps and heals with high numbers and tanks to absorb.

Basically, Vanilla was a full-blown play with many parts to be played. Each person has a lot less to memorize, but each part was notably different.

Current raiding is a 3 group chorus. Each person has more to memorize, but everyone in each group does exactly the same thing.

Trying to compare a play to a chorus is pointless and stupid. They are two different things. Some people enjoy both for what they bring. Some people only like one or the other. But one is not superior or harder or whatever than the other.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    We're rewarded by overcoming the challenge we put in our path for ourselves. In that sense Legion is as good as vanilla though the journey to endgame would be part of the challenge instead of having to find and pick it out yourself today when hitting max on retail. The tedium doesn't really start before you challenge yourself to some hard-hitting content or stress yourself to chain-pull or big pull+aoe. Due to tight mob clusters and multiple patrols this was normal in vanilla and you learned quick that even murlocs could shred you in no time if you weren't careful. You'd have had a few meaningful interactions and made a few friends on your first group quests and dungeon runs instead of not having to face the social aspect till much later for max level raiding.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Either way, it's good that the official servers are happening, for all our sakes.

I suspect a lot of cold showers to go out once they open up and it becomes clear that just because the content is from 2004, doesn't mean the playerbase at large is still stuck in that era.

- - - Updated - - -

It's telling when you need to get to the 4th difficulty in order for it to be hard huh? I usually got to heroic before I got bored of seeing the same raid over and over and over and over with the only difference being how hard things hit, and I mean sure less buttons made things easier as long as you didn't need your "oh shit" buttons to self heal or get out of bad in a hurry because those didn't exist.
    Then how telling is it that you can go to the 1st difficulty and have it easy-as-fuck?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Either way, it's good that the official servers are happening, for all our sakes.

I suspect a lot of cold showers to go out once they open up and it becomes clear that just because the content is from 2004, doesn't mean the playerbase at large is still stuck in that era.
    I played on Nost PvE server when it was around last year.
    I didn't expect it to suck me in either.
    I figured I would give it a try, cure my nostalgia, and then put it away rather quickly.

The opposite happened.
    I fell in love with WoW again.
    It wasn't just nostalgia. It was something more. Vanilla has a specific gameplay style that I enjoy more than any other game I have ever played.

I suspect many people will stop playing Classic, as it won't have the same affect.
    But, I also suspect many people who are dissing it now, will be surprise how much they enjoy it.

Time will tell.
    Push it to the limit

#NoCollusion
    "The Special Counsel did not find that the Trump campaign, or anyone associated with it, conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in these efforts, despite multiple. offers from Russian-affiliated individuals to assist the Trump campaign."

Quote Originally Posted by DeleteMyAccountMMOCSUX View Post
    I played on Nost PvE server when it was around last year.
    I didn't expect it to suck me in either.
    I figured I would give it a try, cure my nostalgia, and then put it away rather quickly.

The opposite happened.
    I fell in love with WoW again.
    It wasn't just nostalgia. It was something more. Vanilla has a specific gameplay style that I enjoy more than any other game I have ever played.

I suspect many people will stop playing Classic, as it won't have the same affect.
    But, I also suspect many people who are dissing it now, will be surprise how much they enjoy it.

Time will tell.
    I'm not refering to people that actually enjoy Classic. I've played with and will play alongside such people myself once the server is up.

I'm refering to all the delusional people whom truly believe that what could be had in Classic, couldn't be had since in terms of experiences within this MMORPG through some weird design.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I would like a game where I'm not FORCED to play nor FORCED to not die either !

Nobody force you to play any game. Also, dieing is a mistake, nobody FORCE you to die.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I'm not refering to people that actually enjoy Classic. I've played with and will play alongside such people myself once the server is up.

I'm refering to all the delusional people whom truly believe that what could be had in Classic, couldn't be had since in terms of experiences within this MMORPG through some weird design.
    Im gonna play classic, but ONLY to finish each story, each zone, each questline because cata butchered so much. I'm not interested in slightest with endgame.