Thread: American Food

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    You can say the same for any cuisine, really.

As for Cajun, 2 parts paprika, 2 parts garlic powder, 1 part onion powder, 1 part oregano, 1 part thyme, then salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste. That makes anything Cajun.
    If we go by ingredients alone then very few dishes worldwide are unique to a single country, it is how they are combined and prepared that really count. I would class Cajun as American since they were the first to do it in the form we currently recognise.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    If we go by ingredients alone then very few dishes worldwide are unique to a single country, it is how they are combined and prepared that really count. I would class Cajun as American since they were the first to do it in the form we currently recognise.
    I define American cuisine this way: we took what we could do from the places we came from with the ingredients we had available here. Then we elevated, as we do, and retroactively stole techniques and ingredients when we were able to do so.

One example people here seem engaged in is pizza. It was a few shops in NYC and other parts of the Northeast mostly populated by Italian immigrants. Until WWII, then many US soldiers came back from Italy with a taste for it.

Integrate and assimilate. It's the American Way.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too fat, too much oil. And everything is fried.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

I've never been to the US so I can't comment on real US food, only whatever commercial US products make it here.

I do quite like Dr Pepper, I wish sarsaparilla and similar drinks were more popular here.

Also I'm jealous of your ready access to proper Mexican cuisine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Creole and Cajun cooking is an amalgamation of various cuisines(French, Spanish, etc). It's not really anything unique.
    A lot of cuisine is the result of some kind of accumulated fusion process.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post
    Burritos in general were invented in San Francisco, Mexico did not have them prior.
    Far as I can tell some form of burrito goes back to mesoamerican peoples at least.

I mean really, it's some filling wrapped up in flatbread, it's not rocket science. I guess where it began is down to what exactly you consider a "burrito".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I always regret missing out on Aligator
    Its not great, trust me.

You basically need to drown the meat in spices to taste anything.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    So, just to bring some levity to the forum, I was wondering what some of you European folks have to say about the American Food you've consumed (if any), and what Americans have thought about European food. What do you like, what do you think is gross, etc.

Personally, I love how in German Airports, you can buy pre-mixed cans of Jack and coke.
    Any pre-mixed whiskey and cola I've ever tried has been gross.

I grew up in England and now live in the US. I've noticed that US 'cheap' foods, like ready meals and frozen stuff, are way worse. It's like eating dogshit. Low budget food in England is actually pretty good in comparison.

On the upper end its about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Also I'm jealous of your ready access to proper Mexican cuisine.
    Also American, by definition! (yes, I know we're referring to US food in this thread.)

You don't have access to various peppers, spices, and maybe some time to do some slow cooking? Mexican isn't hard. And it's a large place; it's cuisine varies a lot by region.

Also American, by definition! (yes, I know we're referring to US food in this thread.)

You don't have access to various peppers, spices, and maybe some time to do some slow cooking? Mexican isn't hard. And it's a large place; it's cuisine varies a lot by region.
    Yeah but I also have access to an infinite well of raw laziness. I do make Mexican style food occasionally (no idea how authentic).

There was one really good Mexican place near us, sadly it closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Yeah but I also have access to an infinite well of raw laziness. I do make Mexican style food occasionally (no idea how authentic).

There was one really good Mexican place near us, sadly it closed.
    Yeah, I'm not sure where you are. But I'm not all that far from the Canadian/US border, and I can find everything I need for "authentic" Mexican. Including actual Mexicans, but that's a different story.

I sense a market opportunity wherever you are...

God damn those 7/11 hotdogs with free all you can stuff toppings. I fucking miss them so much. 7/11 here in Japan sell oden /much disappoint

not that oden is bad but still cant match the hot dogs

Yeah, I'm not sure where you are. But I'm not all that far from the Canadian/US border, and I can find everything I need for "authentic" Mexican. Including actual Mexicans, but that's a different story.

Right? But there isn't a big Spanish/Mexican/etc population in Australia so unfortunately we don't get much. You can get the ingredients with some hunting but it's not always easy - you wouldn't believe how hard it was just to find proper black beans...

Still can't complain that much, we do get a lot of good Indian and Asian food here.

We didn't invent the burger but probably the bison burger. Even a lot of Americans I bet have not tried it (its pretty available even in super markets here in pac nw), but there should be a place that serves it in any decent sized city... its really good.

American BBQ, good pulled pork is a mouthgasm for me. Pecan pie is uniquely American and very popular... its not really my cup of tea though. However...

Is a favorite of mine my favorite pie however (I don't think its very known outside of my region of US) is made from a genetic monstrosity made at some Oregon university its like half blue berry half raspberry all delicious.

Eggs Benedict (has to be done right mediocre otherwise)

Grits... I've seen this brought up before in threads like this and euro people seem to have an aversion to it and the people where I live (Idaho) aren't the biggest fans either I lived in the south for a couple of years so I kind of like it.
    Signature deleted due to it violating the rules. Please read the signature rules for more info.

10+ Year Old Account

Half the time people speak of "authentic" Mexican its Tex-Mex, which is American.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Half the time people speak of "authentic" Mexican its Tex-Mex, which is American.
    Heard. In fact, I prefer Tex-Mex much of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I know a guy who will order from the kids menu at a restaurant if it's the only way he can get mac and cheese. Loves the stuff.
    My Cousin...she's the same way when she visits the Spaghetti Factory.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

PB n J... not my favorite, but not bad in a pinch.

The Reuben... another mouthgasm, a little bit of cultural appropriation here but I don't think any place can claim they invented pickled cabbage (but I guess corned beef is irish and kraut is pretty german... most whites in america are of german or irish descent I think...'Murica)

Turkey/Thanksgiving dinner... we didn't invent mashed potatoes or anything like that obviously but I think turkeys are a new world bird and turkey is much more popular here than anywhere else and the gluttonous feasts that we will be partaking in a few days are very American.

American invention as far as I know... and a myriad of other stuff you could argue like chicken bakes, burritos (Mexicans tell me these aren't very popular down south). Also the mental gymnastics required to argue cajun food like gumbo or catfish isn't american is pretty funny. Like yeah Napoleon brought over his grandmas catfish recipe to Canada and then it spread down to Louisiana...RIGHT.
    Signature deleted due to it violating the rules. Please read the signature rules for more info.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRainingMetal View Post
    The worst American food i've had is Mac and Cheese, my god, that stuff is just vomit inducing, completely gross, disgusting.
    Boi/gurl you need to come down to Florida some time. I can whip up the best damn Mac & Cheese casserole you'll EVER have. You just gotta make it right, like NOT ADDING AMERICAN/KRAFT CHEESE.

Get some cheddar and Colby/Monterey jack cheese instead.
    * do you want to have a bad time?

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsy View Post
    Boi/gurl you need to come down to Florida some time. I can whip up the best damn Mac & Cheese casserole you'll EVER have. You just gotta make it right, like NOT ADDING AMERICAN/KRAFT CHEESE.

Get some cheddar and Colby/Monterey jack cheese instead.
    Dayum, take it to the glades bruh. I do one of my versions with gouda and bacon and it'll melt pants.

I've lived in Florida most of my life. I don't know what I'd recommend other than local seafood or a (well made) Cuban sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I lived in Dallas, TX for a few years and my experience was the restaurants there are predominantly Tex-Mex. (I do not miss having jalapeno and cilantro shoved into every possible dish.)
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Its hard to imagine something less memorable than a McDonald's bun, but good luck to you.
    As I said it's not about the taste but about the dough structure. I just want it that fluffy