Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb Progressive Servers? Give players the choice of what to play.

TL;DR At the end of post

This is an idea I had and thought it would be kind of cool and would tackle all of the complaints at once. I've seen on forums posts about "Progression Servers" in which the server forces players to play through all the expansions again, this would cause the developers to send out content a little at a time to make it seem like a re-release of WoW. In my opinion, with the amount of time and effort that this would take it would not be worth the outcome. The people who want vanilla servers would stop playing and would start the circle over again. On the other hand Blizzard releasing Classic servers opens up room for everyone that was in love with any other previous expansion to come up and say "Where is our BC, and WoTLK servers?". There would also be a drought of content in the game in a very short amount of time. People who loved Classic unfortunately know the game far too well now, they would burn through content far too quickly. Some of these people, once they are fully geared or are done with the PvP will demand new content. (Essentially Runescape Classic if you have ever heard of it)

My idea essentially involves a server where instead of forcing people into playing the same content over and over which would annoy some, or force people to play different expansions which would annoy the others is to give players a choice. What I propose is a server where when you log in and create a character it would ask you which expansion you would like to play. If you choose Classic you can experience killing the Ragnaros for the first time again, going through the gearing process of arriving to that moment. However if for whatever reason you are bored with the content or just feel like moving on, you can go to your in game menu, and open up a menu that allows you to pick what expansion you would like to move to. So if you would like to move to Cata, you can experience the map changed by Deathwing. You would be able to choose Any expansion moving forward but not choose to go backwards however the newest expansion should not be playable on these servers. It would overwhelm and cause too much lag on these servers and there are far too many servers where you are playing the current game to allow these on what I am calling "Progressive Servers".

TL;DR

• Players choose what expansion they would like to play in character creation screen.
    • Players able to move on to the next expansion through in game menu.
    • Expansions would be set to the last patch of that particular expansion. (before the next expansion's Pre-Patch)
    • Players would be unable to play the latest expansion on these servers.

With this idea the players would be able to play Classic, BC, WotLK, Cata, MoP, WoD, (and when Battle for Azeroth comes out) Legion, and not have to add/develop new content that is not already in game.

As to how this could be done is a completely different discussion,people who choose different expansions could be phased, or some content locked or something along these lines, but that is something I feel the community would be able to help figure out.

no. blizzard has spent enough time already even talking about bringing back classic servers and thus making it available for whiners about vanilla wow. i would prefer they spend time making the game better in future expansions and new content. you want those game go make a private server and play them.

the flood gates have opened

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    no. blizzard has spent enough time already even talking about bringing back classic servers and thus making it available for whiners about vanilla wow. i would prefer they spend time making the game better in future expansions and new content. you want those game go make a private server and play them.
    Blizzard is very for making this happen, its a matter of how it is implemented in to the game now and not a matter of "Will it or should it". If you want to play the current game by all means do so. Do not try and shut down others fun tho. You're more than happy telling people to play private servers but you don't want blizz to take pride in the game they created and don't want them to move ahead with it? let them profit from the game they made.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignius View Post
    Blizzard is very for making this happen, its a matter of how it is implemented in to the game now and not a matter of "Will it or should it". If you want to play the current game by all means do so. Do not try and shut down others fun tho. You're more than happy telling people to play private servers but you don't want blizz to take pride in the game they created and don't want them to move ahead with it? let them profit from the game they made.
    There is no evidence of the sort.
    You aren't even presenting a consistent argument, going from claiming evidence - then to say that someone is shutting down your "fun".
    All within one paragraph.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

you realize that this discussion has been done
    so many times but about flying. the concept of argument is the same. you have about X number of people (which are the minority) that want something a certain way. these people bitch more than the remaining Y number of people (which are the majority). blizzard looks at X and says "this is what Y wants". we should do that!"
    there is also a saying about the squeaky wheel getting the grease. you my friend, and all you the crackpots who think this throwback shit is a good idea are the squeaky wheel. you dont represent the majority, you just wanna be a special minority snowflake to get your way over everyone else. blizzard sees an opportunity to extort people like you for extra fees for putting shit like this together. why wouldnt they do it? they think they are doing what the majority wants and they make more money. the reality of the situation, if you care to take off the bullshit rose tinted glasses, is that classic was a pain in the ass. log in times in excess of an hour most the time. bugs of all sorts (required months to get a fix), grindy in nature, and not balanced whatsoever.

the only reason i would ever agree to this is so you babies can have your way only long enough for you to realize how stupid the suggestion was to begin with. have your classic bs wow. in less than a year of playing it; when you are tired of it screaming to play new content in the new/next expansion, make sure you keep that bullshit to yourself instead of making 10 threads about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    There is no evidence of the sort.
    You aren't even presenting a consistent argument, going from claiming evidence - then to say that someone is shutting down your "fun".
    All within one paragraph.
    Blizzard has announced vanilla servers. They wouldn't bring vanilla servers at an event as popular as Blizzcon if they were not behind the idea. There us such a thing as going around shutting down ideas for something that will be happening because you don't seem them as "fun". Which is exactly what MasterOfNone is doing. My argument may not have been brought up in perfect wording so let me try it again. Blizzard has shown interest in Vanilla servers, if you are against it then by all means don't play them, but allow Blizzard to get ideas, opinion from the audience they are targeting.

Blizzard has announced vanilla servers. They wouldn't bring vanilla servers at an event as popular as Blizzcon if they were not behind the idea. There us such a thing as going around shutting down ideas for something that will be happening because you don't seem them as "fun". Which is exactly what MasterOfNone is doing. My argument may not have been brought up in perfect wording so let me try it again. Blizzard has shown interest in Vanilla servers, if you are against it then by all means don't play them, but allow Blizzard to get ideas, opinion from the audience they are targeting.
    opinions of the audience once again is not the majority. never has been. blizzard looks like the good guy by entertaining this nonsense regardless of how stupid it is. they are giving the "audience" what they want. however, what they have agreed to compared to what you are advocating are two different things. you are doing the typical poster thing which is putting the carriage before the horse. step 1 isnt even complete and you wanna talk about step 100 which isnt even thought of yet.

you realize that this discussion has been done
    so many times but about flying. the concept of argument is the same. you have about X number of people (which are the minority) that want something a certain way. these people bitch more than the remaining Y number of people (which are the majority). blizzard looks at X and says "this is what Y wants". we should do that!"
    there is also a saying about the squeaky wheel getting the grease. you my friend, and all you the crackpots who think this throwback shit is a good idea are the squeaky wheel. you dont represent the majority, you just wanna be a special minority snowflake to get your way over everyone else. blizzard sees an opportunity to extort people like you for extra fees for putting shit like this together. why wouldnt they do it? they think they are doing what the majority wants and they make more money. the reality of the situation, if you care to take off the bullshit rose tinted glasses, is that classic was a pain in the ass. log in times in excess of an hour most the time. bugs of all sorts (required months to get a fix), grindy in nature, and not balanced whatsoever.

the only reason i would ever agree to this is so you babies can have your way only long enough for you to realize how stupid the suggestion was to begin with. have your classic bs wow. in less than a year of playing it; when you are tired of it screaming to play new content in the new/next expansion, make sure you keep that bullshit to yourself instead of making 10 threads about it.
    With the sole point of you bringing "Snowflakes" into this makes your point invalid. I personally don't care. I could live without vanilla, I could live without another expansion. I do not care. Let me once more state this, if you do not want to play vanilla simply don't. Its not a way for "Snowflakes to get their way" or whatever you want to call it, its a matter of Blizzard giving the community what they want. This in no way shape or form would stop you from playing your game the way you want and very certainly isn't going to affect mine.

I do think it would be cool to play the Vanilla server when it does come out (because it is coming out eventually), especially now with the server, technology, manpower blizz has? I don't think log in timers are going to be an issue and I don't think bugs will take months to fix. All of this happening while the new expansion is going on? I mean its not like Blizzard has different teams working on different aspects of the game. I mean in order for the "Snowflakes" to get their server Blizzard would have to put everything and anything else they are doing on hold right? And not to mention that those who want and beg for vanilla servers should not get them simply because you feel it would inconvenience you in some form right? Keep sending out those bug free, perfect to the letter expansions that come out every so often and forget about the very buggy past that could take less time to fix since IT WAS ALREADY FIXED in patches and expansions that have come after? Do yourself a favor, stay involved in politics and ruin our country more while letting developers like Blizzard handle our games.

With the sole point of you bringing "Snowflakes" into this makes your point invalid. I personally don't care. I could live without vanilla, I could live without another expansion. I do not care. Let me once more state this, if you do not want to play vanilla simply don't. Its not a way for "Snowflakes to get their way" or whatever you want to call it, its a matter of Blizzard giving the community what they want. This in no way shape or form would stop you from playing your game the way you want and very certainly isn't going to affect mine.

I do think it would be cool to play the Vanilla server when it does come out (because it is coming out eventually), especially now with the server, technology, manpower blizz has? I don't think log in timers are going to be an issue and I don't think bugs will take months to fix. All of this happening while the new expansion is going on? I mean its not like Blizzard has different teams working on different aspects of the game. I mean in order for the "Snowflakes" to get their server Blizzard would have to put everything and anything else they are doing on hold right? And not to mention that those who want and beg for vanilla servers should not get them simply because you feel it would inconvenience you in some form right? Keep sending out those bug free, perfect to the letter expansions that come out every so often and forget about the very buggy past that could take less time to fix since IT WAS ALREADY FIXED in patches and expansions that have come after? Do yourself a favor, stay involved in politics and ruin our country more while letting developers like Blizzard handle our games.
    you totally missed the points made. in every way possible.
    you say you dont care many times then later say you think its cool and will play it when it goes live. so obviously a contradiction in logic right there.
    you also totally missed the majority/minority point to go on and say that its not that way, when the proof exists that it is in fact that way.
    you missed the point where i said you people that advocate such should get EXACTLY what you want. which is classic vanilla with all the shit that goes on with it. i didnt say they wont fix bugs or havent already fixed a lot of these issues. im saying have your cake. eat it too. just do it EXACTLY like it was and then come in here a year from now and lets see how you stand on classic wow.

you totally missed the points made. in every way possible.
    you say you dont care many times then later say you think its cool and will play it when it goes live. so obviously a contradiction in logic right there.
    you also totally missed the majority/minority point to go on and say that its not that way, when the proof exists that it is in fact that way.
    you missed the point where i said you people that advocate such should get EXACTLY what you want. which is classic vanilla with all the shit that goes on with it. i didnt say they wont fix bugs or havent already fixed a lot of these issues. im saying have your cake. eat it too. just do it EXACTLY like it was and then come in here a year from now and lets see how you stand on classic wow.
    The point you are missing is that the game itself was great. When you got past the bugs, past the log in timers it was a fun game. People who are fighting for the game don't want the "classic experience" as you describe it, with the lag, bugs, quirks, disconnects or any other thing you found wrong with it. They want to be able to play the game the way Blizzard intended for it to be. I don't believe anyone is dumb enough to think that these lag, server issues and bugs were part of the game implemented by the developer to make people NOT want to buy their game and pay for subscription.

Also would like to point out that I said I don't care many times because I truly don't. I said I would play it simply because it would be part of the game and it would be silly not to play something I'm already paying for. But if it doesn't come out, it won't affect me in any way. The points you brought up were not overlooked, simply just ignored since they have nothing to do with "This is coming, what is a good way to implement it" and more to do with "Listen to me whine about this thing I don't want and hope you get all the lag and wah wah wah"

With that said I hope you have yourself a wonderful Sunday and unless you have anything to contribute to the idea please stop posting here.

Game design works way better if you start simple and add on from there. So I can see this happen one day, but just start easy. One kind of server, that has either one lof the later versions of vanilla with raids unlocking over time or starts with one early version and patches over time.

If that works out and people show real interest (as in keep playing) in the whole classic concept start making other versions based on the lessons they will have learned by then.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    Game design works way better if you start simple and add on from there. So I can see this happen one day, but just start easy. One kind of server, that has either one lof the later versions of vanilla with raids unlocking over time or starts with one early version and patches over time.

If that works out and people show real interest (as in keep playing) in the whole classic concept start making other versions based on the lessons they will have learned by then.
    I'm not saying off the bat make it like this, should start off with a classic server and implement this since content will go stale and will get eaten up by those who play it. However it is good to have an end game in plan

I'm not saying off the bat make it like this, should start off with a classic server and implement this since content will go stale and will get eaten up by those who play it. However it is good to have an end game in plan
    Im almost positive that there is a "hit button in case of sucess/some time passed" box on blizzards desk somewhere right now, that has something very close to your plans in it
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

The point you are missing is that the game itself was great. When you got past the bugs, past the log in timers it was a fun game. People who are fighting for the game don't want the "classic experience" as you describe it, with the lag, bugs, quirks, disconnects or any other thing you found wrong with it. They want to be able to play the game the way Blizzard intended for it to be. I don't believe anyone is dumb enough to think that these lag, server issues and bugs were part of the game implemented by the developer to make people NOT want to buy their game and pay for subscription.

Also would like to point out that I said I don't care many times because I truly don't. I said I would play it simply because it would be part of the game and it would be silly not to play something I'm already paying for. But if it doesn't come out, it won't affect me in any way. The points you brought up were not overlooked, simply just ignored since they have nothing to do with "This is coming, what is a good way to implement it" and more to do with "Listen to me whine about this thing I don't want and hope you get all the lag and wah wah wah"

With that said I hope you have yourself a wonderful Sunday and unless you have anything to contribute to the idea please stop posting here.
    no it wasnt. your opinion doesnt make fact. what dont you get about that? you and literally 800k more people agreeing does not make the majority. are you daft?

as for your "please stop posting here" piss off with that. this is a public forum and im allowed to post in it. if you post ridiculous ideas, prepare to take the criticism involved there in. what world do you live in where you think you are allowed to post in public but people arent allowed to disagree with you? so to sum up, you only want people to post in your threads that totally agree with your bullshit ideas. special snowflake for sure.
    i really do hope you go play classic tho. maybe ill never have to see you in game....

10+ Year Old Account
    TL;DR At the end of post

This is an idea I had and thought it would be kind of cool and would tackle all of the complaints at once. I've seen on forums posts about "Progression Servers" in which the server forces players to play through all the expansions again, this would cause the developers to send out content a little at a time to make it seem like a re-release of WoW. In my opinion, with the amount of time and effort that this would take it would not be worth the outcome. The people who want vanilla servers would stop playing and would start the circle over again. On the other hand Blizzard releasing Classic servers opens up room for everyone that was in love with any other previous expansion to come up and say "Where is our BC, and WoTLK servers?". There would also be a drought of content in the game in a very short amount of time. People who loved Classic unfortunately know the game far too well now, they would burn through content far too quickly. Some of these people, once they are fully geared or are done with the PvP will demand new content. (Essentially Runescape Classic if you have ever heard of it)

My idea essentially involves a server where instead of forcing people into playing the same content over and over which would annoy some, or force people to play different expansions which would annoy the others is to give players a choice. What I propose is a server where when you log in and create a character it would ask you which expansion you would like to play. If you choose Classic you can experience killing the Ragnaros for the first time again, going through the gearing process of arriving to that moment. However if for whatever reason you are bored with the content or just feel like moving on, you can go to your in game menu, and open up a menu that allows you to pick what expansion you would like to move to. So if you would like to move to Cata, you can experience the map changed by Deathwing. You would be able to choose Any expansion moving forward but not choose to go backwards however the newest expansion should not be playable on these servers. It would overwhelm and cause too much lag on these servers and there are far too many servers where you are playing the current game to allow these on what I am calling "Progressive Servers".

TL;DR

• Players choose what expansion they would like to play in character creation screen.
    • Expansions would be set to the last patch of that particular expansion. (before the next expansion's Pre-Patch)
    • Players would be unable to play the latest expansion on these servers.

With this idea the players would be able to play Classic, BC, WotLK, Cata, MoP, WoD, (and when Battle for Azeroth comes out) Legion, and not have to add/develop new content that is not already in game.

As to how this could be done is a completely different discussion,people who choose different expansions could be phased, or some content locked or something along these lines, but that is something I feel the community would be able to help figure out.
    every expansion content already exists untouched

official vanilla doesn't exist yet

go back to retail and make a new alt if you want to play expansion content
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

Quote Originally Posted by skannerz22 View Post
    every expansion content already exists untouched

official vanilla doesn't exist yet

go back to retail and make a new alt if you want to play expansion content
    you cant disagree with him...just saying...he gets a bit hurt about it.

no it wasnt. your opinion doesnt make fact. what dont you get about that? you and literally 800k more people agreeing does not make the majority. are you daft?

as for your "please stop posting here" piss off with that. this is a public forum and im allowed to post in it. if you post ridiculous ideas, prepare to take the criticism involved there in. what world do you live in where you think you are allowed to post in public but people arent allowed to disagree with you? so to sum up, you only want people to post in your threads that totally agree with your bullshit ideas. special snowflake for sure.
    i really do hope you go play classic tho. maybe ill never have to see you in game....
    You are more than welcomed to post here, its part of the experience, I said unless you have anything to contribute stop posting here. If you want to sit here and post random comments as to why vanilla shouldn't make a come back and harassing people you can, it is just not appreciated. If you want to come here and contribute something, for instance "This wouldn't work due to..." please help yourself. All you're doing is trying to get a reaction and its of no use but by all means keep living in your "I'm right everyone else is wrong going to waste my time posting pathetic attempts to get reactions from people" bubble :3 Would advice you to change your manner if you would like to get anywhere in life, feel free to send me a private message if you are interested in continuing the trolling/harassing behavior.

Deleted
    i seriously doubt they will leave the server as is for years because people will get bored eventually when everything is cleared

Deleted
    I would support a system where you could, after finishing an xpac, copy your character to another server for the next xpac. E.g., once you reach lvl 60 (and maybe finish some of the lvl 60 content) in WoW Classic you could copy your character to a TBC realm. You could then progress on the TBC realm to lvl 70, but could also continue playing on the WoW Classic as the lvl 60 character.

Expansions would be set to the last patch of that particular expansion. (before the next expansion's Pre-Patch)
    This won't work, since the later patches introduce catch-up mechanics that trivialize early content. E.g., in TBC you could get T6 level gear with heroic badges from the beginning, trivializing all the pre-T6 content.