Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

German gay film festival banned in Ankara

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42010379

Turkish officials have banned a festival of German-language gay films due to be held in the capital Ankara, saying it could incite hatred or be targeted by terror attacks.

The organisers Pink Life QueerFest Four had planned to screen four films at cinemas on 16 and 17 November.

They said the decision "deprives us of our constitutional rights".

Homosexuality is not illegal in Turkey but activists say homophobia remains widespread.

In a statement, Ankara's governor office said the festival's content "could incite grudges and enmity toward a part of society".

Intelligence suggested that "terror organizations are seeking to attack dissident groups or individuals" and that the "screening could be provocative and draw reactions", it added.

The event's organisers said the festival had already been attacked on social media before it was banned.

"Suggesting that these screenings could be provocative or targeted by terror groups only goes to legitimise those people and institutions that produce hate speech toward us and see our existence as a threat," they said in a statement.

The event was backed by the German embassy, AFP news agency said.

The cancellation comes amid deteriorating relations between the two countries sparked by the detention of German nationals and what Turkey says it is Germany's interference in domestic issues.

LGBT groups have complained that their rights are being curtailed under the government of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his Justice and Development Party (AKP), which is rooted in conservative Islam.

They say they are frequently targeted with animosity, harassment and abuse and that authorities have failed to uphold their rights.
    In Istanbul, the annual gay pride parade, once a popular event, has been banned for three years in a row.
    Isn't this just giving into terrorism?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a fine way to give into terroism to me.

Turkish officials have banned a festival of German-language gay films due to be held in the capital Ankara, saying it could incite hatred or be targeted by terror attacks.
    This is their modus operandi.

I do not see why they'd do that.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Give into terrorism? The non-terrorists are the threat for gays in Turkey today, especially the government.

Deleted
    I only have to watch a few seconds of a German gay movie and I instantly turn gay

Good job turkey watching out for dangers such as this

Deleted
    That is pretty gay tbh

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure they shut it down because it's turkey, but I'd still rather nobody get hurt anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indifference and a populace overly concerned and sure what and how other people should be, so laws be damned, viola ala homophobia.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42010379

Isn't this just giving into terrorism?
    No, it is using "possible terrorism" as a pretext.
    The ones doing this are the government, not some outside force.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pink life queerfest four. like just... damn I could not come up with a more flamingly gay name if you gave me a week.

Side note: if you're going in to an incredibly homophobic place, with an oppressive regime, maybe pick a name that doesn't scream "GAY!" to the heavens while firing off rainbow sparkle lasers.

This reeks of manufactured outrage. Like this was never going to go through, either the gov't would would shut it down, or within minutes of opening bombs would go off.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

You need to be more respectful of their culture, even if it's demographically changing your own homeland.

This has as much to do with fear of terrorism as the shit I've taken earlier this morning.

Deleted
    Germany did this just to piss them off anyway, didnt they?

Before the bigots get a hold of this, homosexuality has been legal in Turkey since 1858.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    Before the bigots get a hold of this, homosexuality has been legal in Turkey since 1858.
    This has nothing to do with legality

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    This has nothing to do with legality
    Um, ya, kinda my point.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    Um, ya, kinda my point.
    It makes things worse, kinda.