Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    Really? Nobody? Are you just calling them nobody? What about the United States are they nobody too? Perhaps you've seen the movie Black Hawk Down? The U.S. has a long history of military operations in North Africa.

BTW

"Somalia has untapped reserves of numerous natural resources, including uranium, iron ore, tin, gypsum, bauxite, copper, salt and natural gas. Due to its proximity to the oil-rich Gulf Arab states such as Saudi Arabia and Yemen, the nation is also believed to contain substantial unexploited reserves of oil."

Just because it's a small country doesn't mean it's a worthless place that "nobody" cares about. You may not care about it but somebody does.
    It's easier and better now to indulge in diplomatic soft-power over the colonialistic power grabs. Colonialism's legacy is alive and well certainly but truly attempting to hold onto countries died with the Vietnam war. I'm sure it'll come back into fashion but for now it's better for larger/richer countries to engage in a proxy war and sit around wringing their hands over all the atrocities being committed by those you're financing.

Anyway, it's because of the legacy of colonialism and the rise of Chinese soft-power (they send vast numbers of engineers to less developed countries including most of Africa both sahara and sub saharan regions) that you're better off learning french or Portuguese or spanish in school rather than chinese. Your kids will be actively competing for business with these former colonial regions against the Chinese.

The west and America in specific have a strong legacy of soft-power but much of that has been through social programs and missionary work rather than offering wholesale development and infrastructure. The peace corps and AIDS money can only do so much, but sadly the US is "America First" now so that means we are going to lose big time over the next 3 to 7 years as our diplomatic corps shrinks and we drop global obligations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daevelian View Post
    That you know of. Not everybody is a saturday morning cartoon villain like north korea, announcing their plans and their abilities well in advance.
    You don't understand how weapons work.

Which is fine, but weapons have a psychological purpose as well as their physical properties.

If you don't want someone messing with you you show them that you aren't someone to mess with. Why do you think Russia and China would put on huge military parades? It intimidates their own populace, builds pride and shows the rest of the world their military might.

Same thing with Teddy Roosevelt and his "big stick" politics where we sent warships all over the world to show that we could hold onto, defend or even put down rebellion in any of the American colonial conquests.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Are you sure you do not confuse supersonic (Mach 1 +) and hyper sonic (Mach 5 +) Sure they have rockets like ICBM that is hyper sonic but you normaly do not call them hyper sonic missiles.

So what is the name of this Hyper sonic missiles system?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WU-14

It can be fitted to carry a nuke.

A vehicle like the DZ-ZF could be fitted to various Chinese ballistic missiles, such as the DF-21 medium-range missile (extending range from 2,000 to 3,000 km (1,200 to 1,900 mi)), and the DF-31 intercontinental ballistic missiles (extending range from 8,000 to 12,000 km (5,000 to 7,500 mi). Analysts suspect that the DZ-ZF will first be used in shorter-range roles as an anti-ship missile and for other tactical purposes to address the problem of hitting a moving target with a ballistic missile. Long-term goals may include deterrence of U.S. missile capabilities with the prospect of strategic bombardment against America, or other countries. Since conventional interceptor missiles have difficulty against maneuvering targets traveling faster than Mach 5 (the DZ-ZF reenters the atmosphere at Mach 10), a problem exacerbated by decreased detection times, the U.S. may place more importance on developing directed-energy weapons as a countermeasure.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by foofoocuddlypoopz View Post
    I think we discusses apples and pears.. its a gilder and not a missile.....maneuverable warheads are old... but I see your point....

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    I think we discusses apples and pears.. its a gilder and not a missile.....maneuverable warheads are old... but I see your point....
    Thank you for being reasonable we've tested the same stuff in the United States back in 2011. It could go to mach 20 but the test failed we lost track of it.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Stupid as hell, that any country, would burn money on such projects, since the only time it would go live, would prolly mean the end of the earth. So its like a really, really, big new year rocket, you get to use once, and no one will be around to tell people about it after ;-)
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous" he said.

- Ogvai, 6th legiones Astartes.

Quote Originally Posted by Colactic View Post
    It's because what China does is efficient, although morally questioned.
    In the meantime, America is inefficient *and* morally questionable.

I think I would go with China in this case.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

bring orn the nukes

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Svad1287 View Post
    Stupid as hell, that any country, would burn money on such projects, since the only time it would go live, would prolly mean the end of the earth. So its like a really, really, big new year rocket, you get to use once, and no one will be around to tell people about it after ;-)
    Its all about posturing, saber rattling and propaganda, this weapon will never be built as in a deployed weapon system, becuse "normal" ICBM is easier to build and equally unstoppable in a large scale use...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    I'm not sure about that. I read that their missiles are so advanced that they make the multi billion dollar carriers obsolete.
    Read where? A Chinese source? It’s complete bullshit. The CCP lies constantly. Especially when it comes to its military, which is a badly supplied, undergeared militia who’s aircraft carriers break down and who’s personnel can’t fit into their tanks. The only fighting the PLA ever does is infighting as generals fight over positions of power. The only war they could ever win is against their developing neighbors, by sheer force of numbers.
    The last war China was in was when it tried to invade Vietnam and got soundly beaten by tiny Vietnam.

The PLA is nothing. They’re a bunch of stooges posing.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Read where? A Chinese source? It’s complete bullshit. The CCP lies constantly. Especially when it comes to its military, which is a badly supplied, undergeared militia who’s aircraft carriers break down and who’s personnel can’t fit into their tanks. The only fighting the PLA ever does is infighting as generals fight over positions of power. The only war they could ever win is against their developing neighbors, by sheer force of numbers.
    The last war China was in was when it tried to invade Vietnam and got soundly beaten by tiny Vietnam.

Best response in this thread.

So currently America is in the lead, and China plan to be 20% ahead of where America is NOW, in 2020.

Sorry where's the scare?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/15/chin...4-minutes.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/15/chin...4-minutes.html

Wow hopefully nobody starts a war with China because this could turn ugly. Interesting how they spend so much less on the military yet are so advanced.

I wonder if the Chinese will let us rent it?

I'm sure the Chinese want to start selling weapons to developing countries.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by foofoocuddlypoopz View Post
    Thank you for being reasonable we've tested the same stuff in the United States back in 2011. It could go to mach 20 but the test failed we lost track of it.
    The US isn't testing gliders. They're testing true hypersonic missiles. As in, it doesn't need to act like a ballistic missile through any of its flight, so is much harder to detect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account

It was from a Reuters security analyst. Seemed very reliable. I doubt he was a PLA stooge.

Deleted
    It was from a Reuters security analyst. Seemed very reliable. I doubt he was a PLA stooge.
    Find it for me, please. Since you’ve seen it before it’d be easier for you.

You’ll find that seeing who’s pocket someone is in tends to help in finding out their bias. Reuters security analyst says nothing to me and doesn’t inspire authority.

Deleted
    China will catch up to the US and surpass them eventually, it's only natural.

What worries me is that the EU is so weak it couldnt even hold Russian off for more than 3 days tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    China will catch up to the US and surpass them eventually, it's only natural.

What worries me is that the EU is so weak it couldnt even hold Russian off for more than 3 days tops.
    1, why is it natural? Military power isnt evolution, compare their budgets and figure it out.

2, bases on what? Russias nuclear power is intimidating, a conventional war is not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Find it for me, please. Since you’ve seen it before it’d be easier for you.

You’ll find that seeing who’s pocket someone is in tends to help in finding out their bias. Reuters security analyst says nothing to me and doesn’t inspire authority.
    Can't find it since it was from 2 years ago.

There is this..

Since then, China has focused on gaining the ability to keep U.S. forces – particularly aircraft carriers – out of its immediate neighborhood. Many analysts believe it now possesses enough weapons technology – submarines, missiles and strike aircraft in particular – that U.S. planners would be reluctant to risk their carriers that close to China’s coast again.

China is believed to have thousands of ballistic missiles aimed at the island, as well as naval weaponry to destroy nearby warships. Some experts believe Beijing might try to regain control of the island sometime in the next two decades.
    BEIJING (Reuters) - China is eyeing the use of a high level of artificial intelligence and automation for its next generation of cruise missiles, a senior designer was quoted as saying on Friday.

“We plan to adopt a ‘plug and play’ approach in the development of new cruise missiles, which will enable our military commanders to tailor-make missiles in accordance with combat conditions,” Wang Changqing of the China Aerospace and Industry Corp told the state-run China Daily newspaper.

“Moreover, our future cruise missiles will have a very high level of artificial intelligence and automation,” Wang added.

“They will allow commanders to control them in real time manner, or to use a fire-and-forget mode, or even to add more tasks to in-flight missiles.”

China is already a global leader in the field of using artificial intelligence in missiles, Wang added, without elaborating.
    RAND examined two different scenarios, one for an inadvertent conflict taking place in the present day and one in 10 years from now, assuming Beijing’s military and economic buildup continues at roughly its current rate. China will substantially close its military gap with the United States over the next decade, it predicts – but the fundamental dynamics of how things will play out might not be hugely different.

Even now, the People’s Liberation Army is seen as having the ability to give a bloodied nose to U.S. forces in the region. Washington could expect to lose an aircraft carrier and multiple other surface warships in the opening stages, RAND warns, citing Chinese advances in ballistic and guided missiles as well as submarines.

Quote Originally Posted by EUPLEB View Post
    China couldn't win a war anyway, US, EU, Japan would annihilate both China and Russia at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

Propaganda. Chinese military isn't going to do much, it's very outdated, they aren't solid when it comes to strategy and they are far behind in technology. Not to mention they can't even afford a proper military right now, they're quite near the edge of bankruptcy and it's only going to get worse for them in the next few years.
    China made Islands its own even though the US said no but they did nothing same for US in Crimea they said it was redline but Putin crossed it and nothing happened. If the US and NATO were so better than China and Russia then Crimea and the Islands would have never happened. Most Military Generals and think tanks say Russia could beat NATO in 30-60 hours. All this Murica strong doesnt do much for the reality on the ground.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0b13f2c65e892

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjiqTzug8zM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

Deleted
    Can't find it since it was from 2 years ago.

There is this..
    All it talks about is literally speculation and what they’d WANT to do. Nothing of what they actually have or CAN do... so it turns out I’m completely right when I said they’re full of shit. Not a surprise.

Yes, China’s only hope is the moment of first strike surprise. Which is hardly surprising at all. This speaks in regards to a very possible invasion of Taiwan and how China MUST strike very hard and very fast in order to gain a strong foothold on the island before US and other Taiwan allies can react. It’s part of the CCPs 2020 Plan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    China made Islands its own even though the US said no but they did nothing same for US in Crimea they said it was redline but Putin crossed it and nothing happened. If the US and NATO were so better than China and Russia then Crimea and the Islands would have never happened. Most Military Generals and think tanks say Russia could beat NATO in 30-60 hours. All this Murica strong doesnt do much for the reality on the ground.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0b13f2c65e892

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjiqTzug8zM
    Because they’re reluctant to start another global fucking war. You should be real fucking happy for that.
    Russia HAS been punished for crossing that line, without the need for military power. Russia can’t win shit when their economy isn’t holding up.
    Same thing with China. The thing here being that both China and Russia are digging their own graves with what they’re doing. I for one and real fucking happy that it takes a lot more for military conflict to happen.