Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    They shouldn't, and I have my doubts that they are in full support about it. They make some fights because of DBM but I have my doubts if they are enjoying the existence of DBM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    My point was that regardless of whether you get the information directly and don't leech off others, or if you get told what to do by people with addons, you're still actually depending on the addons.
    i suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree. i guess an argument could be made that the game's difficulty settings have become more complex but in vanilla and tbc our guild was pretty relevant among the progression guilds and we did so without the use of addons. we researched the fights, read strategies, watched what videos we could to get as much information as we could and then did the best we could. in wrath, like i said, sometimes we wouldnt get but a couple bosses down on heroic but we did so without the use of any help.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushkins View Post
    I mean, Blizzard have done it with some other addons. Why not Deadly Boss Mods since it's is probably the most popular wow addon and everyone has it or its analogue installed anyway?
    They should break DBM and other raid encounter "boss mods". The "boss mods vs encounter designers" war needs to be de-escalated - it's completely stupid that they design fights over the existence of a addon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    I like disabling DBM when I´m doing bosses which I have on farm. So I´d rather not have it implemented.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

The game already alerts you to major boss events via emotes and such, that was added-- I think, back in MoP? Adding full-on DBM-style boss timers is a bit too much for base UI.

More appropriate for a base UI is something like the "GTFO" addon, that makes a bing noise when you're standing in the bad. Everybody should be using GTFO, IMO.

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/GTFO

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyOcelot View Post
    They should break DBM and other raid encounter "boss mods". The "boss mods vs encounter designers" war needs to be de-escalated - it's completely stupid that they design fights over the existence of a addon.
    They pretty much can't without a major UI overhaul . DBM just relays information that is already known. It doesn't help you play the game just reminds you about upcoming events.

Quote Originally Posted by Mushkins View Post
    I mean, Blizzard have done it with some other addons. Why not Deadly Boss Mods since it's is probably the most popular wow addon and everyone has it or its analogue installed anyway?
    Sure buddy, blizzard should integrate every popular addon into the game! FUCK IT, ALL OF THEM! What an amazing experience it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Sure buddy, blizzard should integrate every popular addon into the game!
    I'm glad we are on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    It would be interesting if they broke DBM by removing boss quotes the addon watches for. instead, your clue would just be visual like where the boss is standing or if it raises both fists or something.
    Because quotes are one of the things that players are meant to be watching for.
    And really the point of that is to provide some cue that players respond to.
    Be that a quote in voice and chat text, or some huge text on screen accompanied by a klaxon it doesn't matter.
    As long as the response is from you.

A boss mod is not a problem when it is an alternative way of alerting to information already provided.
    The problem is when it is providing that a player should not be seeing.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2017-11-19 at 09:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Why would they pay people to integrate and support a feature in game, when it can be done for free (at least for Blizzard, given that some players do support DBM through Patreon) by its current devs?
    /spit@Blizzard

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhoria View Post
    They pretty much can't without a major UI overhaul . DBM just relays information that is already known. It doesn't help you play the game just reminds you about upcoming events.
    They can make some of the API's private. Just like they did with the range APIs. You can't get rid of all of it - but you could make some of the stuff a bit less obvious

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    More appropriate for a base UI is something like the "GTFO" addon, that makes a bing noise when you're standing in the bad. Everybody should be using GTFO, IMO.
    Or you could just not stand in fire. That kinda solves the problem without an addon

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyOcelot View Post
    Or you could just not stand in fire. That kinda solves the problem without an addon
    Thanks for the ProTip, much appreciated.

Trying to look cool by not using boss mods is one of the dumbest raid related things I've read in a while.

DBM isnt that big of a crutch. Honestly knowing something is happening in 15 seconds matters a whole lot less than handling it when it arrives.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't use any such mod.

Yeah I guess using boss mods or not using them doesn't overly matter in LFR

you people dont seem to understand the fact that quite a large % of the playerbase dont even know aboth addons
    so its not a bad idea

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    They shouldn't, and I have my doubts that they are in full support about it. They make some fights because of DBM but I have my doubts if they are enjoying the existence of DBM.
    If they are going to get rid of DBM they need to improve the way the game shows game mechanics especially in a raid format where shit can get crazy. My senses can only do so much.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Tarbat View Post
    Why don't they implement damage/healing meters? Official ones would be more accurate.
    There's nothing inaccurate about "unofficial" ones. They use the combat log event data, which is the same data Blizzard would use.

About the only thing that the UI could use is major ability timers. Too many abilities that are on extremely set timers in a lot of modern fights makes timers a big deal, since being prepared to handle a mechanic before you see it starting to happen is way too much of an advantage. They've done a better job with the single biggest fight mechanics in a lot of newer fights by using the boss's power bar, but there's just too many things happening on set timers to really make that work on a larger scale.

A better idea would be to make bosses that are a lot less predictable, but telegraph their moves a little more in advance than some abilities do right now.