Question Psu shorting breaker

Im typing this on my tablet so please excuse lack of proper contractions and the occational spelling error.

Short version:

My psu trips my breaker. Its 3300w or somewhere around there (230v and 15/18a), yet my psu at 650w trips the breaker even if nothing else is connected to the circuit. I dont have to turn the computer on, simply flipping the switch on the psu to on is enough.

I tried googling but most i could find was new psu and other stuff connected to the same circuit, so doesnt really apply in my case.

Replacing it seems logical, but i figured since i know next to nothing avout electric stuff maybe there is a simple fix, or common issue with a proper explanation as to why this is happening.

Are there things i can try to make sure its the psu and not some other component?

Thank you in advance.

Edit
    I forgot to add, i moved the computer around and plugged it into other ciruits, same problem.

Is the breaker how you people call the protector from overcharging the house?? :P

If it triggers it on every circuit/socket then its simply a defective PSU probably short-circuiting and causing the breaker to trip.

Sounds like your PSU is trash and/or defective

get one that is good quality if you replace

Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    Im typing this on my tablet so please excuse lack of proper contractions and the occational spelling error.

Short version:

My psu trips my breaker. Its 3300w or somewhere around there (230v and 15/18a), yet my psu at 650w trips the breaker even if nothing else is connected to the circuit. I dont have to turn the computer on, simply flipping the switch on the psu to on is enough.

I tried googling but most i could find was new psu and other stuff connected to the same circuit, so doesnt really apply in my case.

Replacing it seems logical, but i figured since i know next to nothing avout electric stuff maybe there is a simple fix, or common issue with a proper explanation as to why this is happening.

Are there things i can try to make sure its the psu and not some other component?

Thank you in advance.

Edit
    I forgot to add, i moved the computer around and plugged it into other ciruits, same problem.
    It is the PSU. There is a pin on the 20+4 header that allows the PSU to send current to the motherboard. If the supply is shorting before you even turn the power on, there are typically caps inside the supply just after the first step down transformer to smooth the power out, and to prevent in rush current. If one of these is shorted, the supply will pull massive amounts of current from the wall tripping your breaker. If you still have a warranty on the supply, contact the manufacturer. They may ask you to test the PSU but this is highly doubtful based on your description. If you don't have a warranty, at least a PSU is cheap. If you want to 100% confirm it is your supply, disconnect every single cable off of your computer and just flip the switch. You should find that the breaker still pops. If it doesn't, you could have a faulty motherboard (very unlikely).

Thank you all for the quick replies. Reg terminology im literqlly retqrded when it comes to these things, the human brain has a wonderful way of balqncing itself out (super good at some things, laughably bad at others).

Quote Originally Posted by teamkiller View Post
    It is the PSU. There is a pin on the 20+4 header that allows the PSU to send current to the motherboard. If the supply is shorting before you even turn the power on, there are typically caps inside the supply just after the first step down transformer to smooth the power out, and to prevent in rush current. If one of these is shorted, the supply will pull massive amounts of current from the wall tripping your breaker. If you still have a warranty on the supply, contact the manufacturer. They may ask you to test the PSU but this is highly doubtful based on your description. If you don't have a warranty, at least a PSU is cheap. If you want to 100% confirm it is your supply, disconnect every single cable off of your computer and just flip the switch. You should find that the breaker still pops. If it doesn't, you could have a faulty motherboard (very unlikely).
    It tried this, and can confirm with cpu, gpu and 24pin pulled out, it still flips the breaker. Luckily i have an old cx430 from my brothers (super) old computer that should be enough to power a i7 920 + gtx 770 (8+6pin). Might need to underclock the gpu for safety, but should suffice until new psu arrives.

Any recommendations on ~500w reliable budget psus? It seems one site recommends a psu another dislikes, so a lot of split opinions in that market segment. Its for a normal cpu + a 8+6pin gpu, with 2-3 hdds + same amount ssds. Im waiting for Ryzen 2 for a complete rebuild so this will be degraded to the friend-coming-over computer.

Thank you all for the help so far, I greatly appreciate it.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My universal rule is to never skimp on the power supply. If it means stretching out your budget a little more, always do it.

Some will recommend the Corsair CX series or the EVGA B1 and they're not wrong to do so since they're "okay" for the price but I often recommend the Seasonic S12II-430 or 520 in this bracket. It'll cost a little more but you're paying for incredible quality from one of the best in the business.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-11-20 at 05:24 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    My universal rule is to never skimp on the power supply. If it means stretching out your budget a little more, always do it.

Some will recommend the Corsair CX series or the EVGA B1 and they're not wrong to do so since they're "okay" for the price but I often recommend the Seasonic S12II-430 or 520 in this bracket. It'll cost a little more but you're paying for incredible quality from one of the best in the business.
    This is solid advice. EVGA BQ if you want to go cheaper, seasonic if you want a sturdier supply.