Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rwanda becoming the Singapore of Africa

I'm happy that Rwanda is seemingly picking itself back up and thriving. A lot of the tactics Kagame’s government is using such as traveling to various countries and studying their economic models is reminiscent to the Meiji Period where Japan attempted to Westernize and modernize its economy and military. Of course there are probably a lot more examples of similar tactics. Not like studying other nations and cultures and seeing what has led to their dominance is a relatively new concept.

The country still has a long way to go though.

Hope it lasts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post

I'm happy that Rwanda is seemingly picking itself back up and thriving. A lot of the tactics Kagame’s government is using such as traveling to various countries and studying their economic models is reminiscent to the Meiji Period where Japan attempted to Westernize and modernize its economy and military. Of course there are probably a lot more examples of similar tactics. Not like studying other nations and cultures and seeing what has led to their dominance is a relatively new concept.

The country still has a long way to go though.
    The problem is that Rwanda is a small player and regional instability may lead to its capitulation, regardless of how well it tries to run itself. Tribalism is unfortunately very strong in many parts of Africa and when their neighbours take a "me first" approach to trade, it would be hard to get what they need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait did he just said prosperity and stability at expense of human rights?

IT IS TIME TO SPREAD DEMOCRACY!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    [video=youtube;kuGimWnORIM]A lot of the tactics Kagame’s government is using such as traveling to various countries and studying their economic models .
    So it’s fine when they do it but when the white people do it, it’s called stealing ideal or cultural appropriation

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like something pretty close to a philosopher king situation. Sometimes authoritarianism works I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    So it’s fine when they do it but when the white people do it, it’s called stealing ideal or cultural appropriation
    Because political and economic models are the same as cultures, right?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thesib View Post
    Because political and economic models are the same as cultures, right?
    Your country political climate is part of your culture

Why even bring up cultural appropriation in the first place?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why even bring up cultural appropriation in the first place?
    Because they want to make this racist. Duh.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Anyone comparing Rwanda to Singapore hasn’t been to Singapore.

Let me know when Rwanda has a goddamn Rolex store on every street corner.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Sounds like something pretty close to a philosopher king situation. Sometimes authoritarianism works I guess.
    Authoritarianism can work when the leader genuinely wants to better the country and not just line their own pockets or have power for the sake of it...... the issue is people like that are almost never the people who become authoritarian leaders and even in the cases when they do they are almost never replaced by another. Hence why Authoritarianism has never been able to lead to the stablity that is supposed to be it's main appeal for long.

Rwanda is about to get a influx of their own Refugess back

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Rep...seekers-514737

And they also recently decided to give a 30 day VISA to anyone who wants into their country.

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/201...s-visa-africa/

Both of these things could be good or bad for the country, Lets see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    Anyone comparing Rwanda to Singapore hasn’t been to Singapore.

Let me know when Rwanda has a goddamn Rolex store on every street corner.
    I was comparing Rwanda to Singapore in regards to Paul Kagame's economic and legal reforms in the country, somewhat similar to Lee Kuan Yew.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Better a benevolent dictator than a mish-mash of well- and ill-intentioned leaders voted in by the willfully ignorant uneducated.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    How much of that is actually built on Chinese companies effectively buying the country?

You should probably buy a home there before it becomes too expensive, get in now while you can.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well Singapore while popular it's not the most praised place on earth by those who live there.
    I was in Thailand and met some Singaporean chicks, and also a few friends on FB are from Singapore, people complain about the same old, politics and the expenses because let's face it, it's expensive as hell.
    Also, if a member of your family dies, they are allowed to be buried up to 15 years, after that, they are exumed and either cremated or buried in a smaller grave (aka mass graves).
    Being an atheist, I don't really care, but this could be a big deal for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    How much of that is actually built on Chinese companies effectively buying the country?
    From my understanding there's also some significant American investment as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Well Singapore while popular it's not the most praised place on earth by those who live there.
    I was in Thailand and met some Singaporean chicks, and also a few friends on FB are from Singapore, people complain about the same old, politics and the expenses because let's face it, it's expensive as hell.
    Also, if a member of your family dies, they are allowed to be buried up to 15 years, after that, they are exumed and either cremated or buried in a smaller grave (aka mass graves).
    Being an atheist, I don't really care, but this could be a big deal for some people.
    Meanwhile koreans go to Singapore to escape unemployment and for better work-life balance, which makes up for it being expensive.