Poll: Do you buy Used, Refurbished or Certified Pre-Owned?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Used vs Refurbished or Certified Pre-Owned?

Ok so I am in the market for a new vacuum and I have settle my sites on the Dyson Sphere, looks like a few different options but the one I need for Asthma and Allergy is going to be $699.00 US, Now I recently just got a brand new 2017 F150 and when I bought it, I had the option of going with a certified pre owned.

Honestly the price difference really was kind of Pathetic and since it's a 2017 just before the end of the year I got a pretty good deal anyways I just went with new.

So my question is now that I am looking for a vacuum, I think I would like to find a way to save, but I am wondering what is your take on the whole used, refurbished or Certified pre owned.

Are they really just kind of buzzwords that mean the same thing roughly to you?

Do you buy Used, Refurbished or Certified Pre-Owned?
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-11-21 at 10:56 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

15+ Year Old Account
    I haven't bought any second hand stuff yet, but I was thinking about getting a refurbished laptop. Most of them are probably never even used and returned because of some minor thing.
    I wouldn't go for used stuff. It depends a lot what it is. Used car is fine, but not too old. In fact, I'd rather buy a 3 year old car than a brand new one.

Deleted
    How do you get to 25 000 posts? By making threads about used vacuum cleaners.

I use Amazon Warehouse Deals alot on electronics, there are alot assholes that order 2-4 GPUs, Monitors, TVs or something else and they pick the one they like most and send the rest back to Amazon. All the stuff i bought from the Warehouse Deals where good as new and 25-40% cheaper so why not.
    Just bought a 800€ 34 inch screen last week for 600€ and it was even sealed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    I use Amazon Warehouse Deals alot on electronics, there are alot assholes that order 2-4 GPUs, Monitors, TVs or something else and they pick the one they like most and send the rest back to Amazon. All the stuff i bought from the Warehouse Deals where good as new and 25-40% cheaper so why not.
    Just bought a 800€ 34 inch screen last week for 600€ and it was even sealed.
    Yeah I am really thinking about that too, $699.00 seems like lot for a this vacuum

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyllypaladin View Post
    Hahaha omg, you busted Mall Security so bad

Dude, what the hell, buy a Miele Complete C3 or something like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    Dude, what the hell, buy a Miele Complete C3 or something like that.
    That's $1.500 LOL!

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I got a pre-owned vacuum from my aunt haha. Damn thing weighs 40 lbs and is older than me, but it's still impressively good.
    It's all about the quality.
    Last edited by ghotihook; 2017-11-21 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    I got a pre-owned vacuum from my aunt haha. Damn thing weighs 40 lbs and is older than me, but it's still impressively good.
    It's all about the quality.
    Using the 40lb Miele vacuum from my grandma its from the 70s and still beat most modern vacuums that i used.

Deleted
    700 bucks for a vacuum cleaner?

Holy cow.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Using the 40lb Miele vacuum from my grandma its from the 70s and still beat most modern vacuums that i used.
    1981 Kirby Heritage 1 here!
    Had it for 7 years so far, zero issues.

How many times have you seen a cleaner using a Dyson?

I have one and it's a heavy, clumsy piece of shit. Using the extension hose tips the damn thing over half the time. Next time I'm getting a Henry or similar.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We have a Dyson vacuum, a older model we bought several years ago, which looks like the model you have pictured. Awesome vacuum. Esp if you have pets.

I think it is fine to buy a used product as long as it does what you want. When not to, is going to vary depending on your personal needs and goals with the item. Take firearms for example, some are perfectly fine even after thousands of rounds fired thru them, as long as they have been cleaned and taken care of properly. This can apply to most used items.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post

I have one and it's a heavy, clumsy piece of shit. Using the extension hose tips the damn thing over half the time. Next time I'm getting a Henry or similar.
    I have a 20 volt Lithium battery Porter Cable shop vac I use for when I need to use a hose to vacuum stuff up. Uses the same battery many of my other 20 volt tools use. Cost 60 dollars. Love it. Very portable. Not as powerful suction as my large corded shop vac. but much easier to use in some circumstances.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    We have a Dyson vacuum, a older model we bought several years ago, which looks like the model you have pictured. Awesome vacuum. Esp if you have pets.

I think it is fine to buy a used product as long as it does what you want. When not to, is going to vary depending on your personal needs and goals with the item. Take firearms for example, some are perfectly fine even after thousands of rounds fired thru them, as long as they have been cleaned and taken care of properly. This can apply to most used items.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 20 volt Lithium battery Porter Cable shop vac I use for when I need to use a hose to vacuum stuff up. Uses the same battery many of my other 20 volt tools use. Cost 60 dollars. Love it. Very portable. Not as powerful suction as my large corded shop vac. but much easier to use in some circumstances.
    Do you happen to know what the difference is between the different types?

I have watched the YouTubes, and near as I can tell this is the one I want, but they seem very similar aside from the news vacuums I guess don't come with a filter that needs to be replaced.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post

Really, I would lost to hear more, I have heard some rave reviews of how it suction is above industry standards and people saying with a regular vacuum you can follow it with a dyson and pick up tons of things otherwise missed.

Anything you like about it besides the tipping over?

You need the hand held dyson, its the tits. Best thing i ever bought.

I have bought a lot of used music gear. Guitars, bass guitars, amps and effects. I have not bought many used things otherwise.

Not a damn thing wrong with saving money.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyllypaladin View Post
    I lol'ed.

But on topic: I don't usually buy used stuff, had some bad experiences, maybe I would buy from someone I know and trust, but otherwise unless it's something I don't really give a shit about I'll go for the new stuff.

Things that can easily be verified, like I dunno, a crazy carpet to go slide in the snow with me nephew, it's easy to see if it's fucked up or in good condition so I may buy it used.

Depends on the product and my own use. When I can afford it, and I know it's something I'm going to keep a very long time, I will buy new.