Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Democratic Rep. John Conyers sexual harassment settlement.

Washington (CNN)Democratic Rep. John Conyers of Michigan is "expressly and vehemently" denying any wrongdoing following reports being made public this week that he settled a wrongful dismissal complaint in 2015 after allegedly sexually harassing a staffer, according to an explosive report published Monday.

"In our country, we strive to honor this fundamental principle that all are entitled to due process," Conyers said in a statement. "In this case, I expressly and vehemently denied the allegations made against me, and continue to do so."

BuzzFeed News obtained documents, which includes four signed affidavits, three of which are notarized, from former aides who allege that Conyers made sexual advances to female staff in his office. The repeated requests from Conyers, according to BuzzFeed, included sexual favors, inappropriate touching and transporting women who were believed to be having affairs with the congressman.
    BuzzFeed posted the documents online. CNN has not independently confirmed the allegations, or authenticated the documents.
    Conyers' former staffer, whose name is not revealed by BuzzFeed, filed the complaint with the Office of Compliance in 2014, which was set up in the 1990s to handle workplace disputes on Capitol Hill. The unnamed woman alleged that Conyers fired her for not accepting his sexual advances, which led to her more than $27,000 settlement.

Conyers, who is the longest-serving active member of the House of Representatives, did not dispute the existence of settlement or payment, saying, "My office resolved the allegations -- with an express denial of liability -- in order to save all involved from the rigors of protracted litigation. That should not be lost in the narrative. The resolution was not for millions of dollars, but rather for an amount that equated to a reasonable severance payment."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/21/politi...ent/index.html

10+ Year Old Account
    If he's guilty, kick him out. If he's not, let him stay.

And I'll say the same damn thing about Franken as well.

But what annoys me, is how riled up the right gets when a liberal or a democrat is accused of sexual harassment . . . but vehemently denies any wrongdoing by Donald Trump.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

But what annoys me, is how riled up the right gets when a liberal or a democrat is accused of sexual harassment . . . but vehemently denies any wrongdoing by Donald Trump.
    Exactly this the right keeps acting that their shit don't stink we need to get rid of all the guilty predators regardless of who it is. I mean FFS Trump is still sticking by Roy Moore.

Most likely because the left acts holier than thou on a high horse etc.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Because the left usually takes the high horse/road when it comes to these and many other issues. That reality of course is typically ignored by Trumpsters and other conservatives.

Re OP - this is an interesting case - only in the sense that it was settled. With no liability or admission of wrong doing. More just curious on how others think this should affect the allegations or "discovery" of wrong-doing.

Barring the settlement, kick him out. Just like anyone else should be for horrible behavior.

Really? Because everyone INCLUDING Al Franken is asking for an investigation into Al Franken. But the holier than thou side definitely isn't the left. That would be the right that has been denying the accusations and don't want the bullshit investigations even though they happen anyway. Like Trump and Moore. Yeah, lets elect a fucking pedophile instead of a Democrat that puts Trump supporters away for breaking the fucking law.

So the right isn't the party of "family / christian values", "sanctity of marriage", "religious protection"? are you high?

5+ Year Old Account
    I think you're confusing holier than thou with just having morals and a conscience.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are.willing.to.settle.in these matters when not guilty but as we see accusations can be worst than convictions, for both parties involved.

Frankly it might be too late to do anything about it but I do not like the institution within our legislature that allows these cases to be dealt with such secretcy. The entire process is rotten.

With that said, I do believe we do need to take a step back while this tell all wave sweeps the country. I believe there are levels to this stuff, all of which do not warrant removal of position because some of these dudes are just bad daters/getting turned down while others are real creeps/predators/abusers.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2017-11-21 at 09:41 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Only in your mind. Unless actually doing something about it is “holier than thou”

He's almost as bad as the President. Kick them all out.

I can see how insecure you'd be when confronted by people with morals. I hear Republicans are real into electing wife beaters, sexual assaulters, and pedophiles right now. Sorry by not electing those criminals that we seem "holier than thou."

Sexual harassment goes against conservative values in America.

That's funny considering the shtick of the Right is to try to be holier than thou with the whole them being the religious and family values party.

Congressman accused of sexual harassment

Kind of surprised this hasn’t been posted yet. I saw it a few days ago but waited to see if anyone else would post it.
    http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1DM2RD

The original harassment was accusations were made a week ago. The above article is from last Wednesday.
    Naturally, some people are asking for his resignation.

- - - Updated - - -

This article is from yesterday. He stepped down while being “ probed”.
    http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1DQ0RM

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Didn’t see it as it was WAAY down on the second page.

- - - Updated - - -

Mods...
    Please lock duplicate thread. I will post my links in the other one.

From Reuters Wednesday.
    It also seems he has decided to step down during the “probe”.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to break it to you.
    He was a Democrat when he did what he was alledgedly doing you realize that don’t you. He just recently flipped to the Republican cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    From Reuters Wednesday.
    It also seems he has decided to step down during the “probe”.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to break it to you.
    He was a Democrat when he did what he was alledgedly doing you realize that don’t you. He just recently flipped to the Republican cause.
    So, him being a Democrat at the time absolves him of wrongdoing? Because that is the SHITTIEST defense you have ever fucking come up with of Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    So, him being a Democrat at the time absolves him of wrongdoing? Because that is the SHITTIEST defense you have ever fucking come up with of Donald Trump.
    Did I absolve him my friend? If I did, surely you can show us where.
    You were rooting for/with him when he was Democrat weren’t you?

Enjoy you evening everyone.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-11-28 at 12:39 AM.