Page 21 of 74 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Sure. I know nothing of SWTOR, but hey, you can trade. Now is this like a CSGO level thing?

Don't know how CSGO works. Been awhile since I last played SWTOR, but at that time I don't remember anything from lootboxes you couldn't put on the market and sell for in game gold.

Just curious are you ok with those lootboxes or is it any lootboxes you don't like?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Don't know how CSGO works. Been awhile since I last played SWTOR, but at that time I don't remember anything from lootboxes you couldn't put on the market and sell for in game gold.

Just curious are you ok with those lootboxes or is it any lootboxes you don't like?
    I dont like any. You can dress it up all you like, but it should be a direct buy, with direct cash, for fair prices. Not pay 5 dollars for 450 currency, and the good stuff is 500 currency so you shoulda done the 10 dollar for 900 currency instead or the 15 for 2000 currency deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate lootboxes as well but the only people that can do anything about it is consumers. And guess what? They love to buy them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    I hate lootboxes as well but the only people that can do anything about it is consumers. And guess what? They love to buy them.
    We are making a difference though!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-battlefront-1

I used to work in the online gambling sector, if it is determined that this is gambling then it means that they will have to stop doing this or otherwise they will have to adhere to various gambling regulations which is a shed load of red tape.

If this goes no further than Belgium then i can see them pulling loot boxes there but continuing elsewhere.

The real nail in the coffin will be if America rules this as online gambling as it is illegal in most states

https://wizardofodds.com/the-legalit...e-gambling-us/

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Which will probably mean doubling down on 'micro dlc' like japan does with things like Atlus selling "£1.99 costume packs" which could lead to the existing stuff completely removed e.g: Overwatch loses locboxes but now you have the "Tracer Pack" which comes with her base skins and sprays" and "Tracer delux" that includes her legendary skins or something.

This could all end with Belgium, but if it doesnt? well theres already folks like jeff gerstmann saying "expect EA to go the way of Midway" and the state of american studios 2 or 3 years from now could look very different.
    Personally, I don't find paying something like £1.99 for a character costume to be a huge problem. I know what I'm paying and I know what I'm getting in return for the money. It's not a model I approve of in full price retail games to be sure, but it's not distasteful the way randomised lootboxes are.

As for the doomsayers... No. Just no. Companies like EA and Activision are already making a fortune just selling their video games in the first place, tripling down on that investment by adding in microtransactions and lootboxes is just greed. They're not content with just making a healthy profit, they want ALL OF THE PROFIT. If lootboxes are indeed banned, as the Belgians would like, then I'm sure EA will get by just fine. They managed just fine before they got into Lootboxes, they'll manage just fine again afterwards too. There may be an adjustment period, but it won't be the end of the world for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I am firmly against lootboxes of any description. Cosmetic only or not. Like many here, I consider them to be an unregulated form of gambling. I know not everyone agrees with that point of view, and thats fine.

I am fine with earning random rewards for playing the game, that is a mechanic that is used with a specific gameplay goal in mind by the developers. Usually to get players to repeat the content, but there are other good uses for it too.

For me the line between earning a reward and winning a reward is the gameplay. You earn things in game, you win things in lootboxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Except you DO know what your purchase includes. It includes a box that you open and will contain items. There is only a small number of different types of items you can usually get in a loot box (in game currency, outfits, sprays, character, weapons/armor)
    Under the Belgian ruling the fact that you don't know exactly what you'll get, and the items you get have varying values (even if those values are personal and not really quantifiable) are enough to qualify the boxes as gambling.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    With trading cards I have a physical item of value that I can sell to a third party for a determinable value determined by that third party and myself. Or trade for a cookie... I traded summoned skull for a cookie as a kid. totally worth it

You can also buy specific cards directly from third parties for a value determined by yourself and said third party.
    The fact that there is a readily available method of converting the items to money (even if it is through a third party like E-Bay) makes the trading cards more susceptible to gambling laws under the UK's system.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    well, this is interesting

"The State of Hawaii announces action to address predatory practices at Electronic Arts and other companies. We will prohibit the sale of these games to people who are underage, this will become the norm for every game. Gambling is prohibited under 21."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post

"The State of Hawaii announces action to address predatory practices at Electronic Arts and other companies. We will prohibit the sale of these games to people who are underage, this will become the norm for every game. Gambling is prohibited under 21."
    I can just imagine Blizzard face-palming as the rampant greed of EA brings the entire little system they've been working to set up crashing down and catching all the other AAA developers in the backlash. Political action was coming as soon as that reddit comment made history.. especially at this time right now with all the craziness going on in US politics, there are many who will be happy to leap on board and score a political win by attacking something unpopular with the public.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I can just imagine Blizzard face-palming as the rampant greed of EA brings the entire little system they've been working to set up crashing down and catching all the other AAA developers in the backlash. Political action was coming as soon as that reddit comment made history.. especially at this time right now with all the craziness going on in US politics, there are many who will be happy to leap on board and score a political win by attacking something unpopular with the public.
    that chris lee dude also interacted with reddit user here

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comm...on_to_address/

People are more powerful than they think. While we are stepping up to act in Hawaii, we have also been in discussions with our counterparts in a number of other states who are also considering how to address this issue. Change is difficult at the federal level, but states can and are taking action.

Shit just got real, bro.

Like I said in the OP this is where it starts.

EA flew way to close to the sun and they burned for it, Not only do a shit ton of gamers hate EA. Now every major gaming company like blizzard will hate them as well.

Its nice to see this system burn.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Its nice to see this system burn.
    Only time will tell if that will happen. Remember day 1 DLC? We protested, kicked and screamed, and yet it has become a staple of AAA releases. Horse armors? We protested, kicked and screamed, and now we live in an age where paying for costumes and extras is the norm as opposed to unlocking outfits or entering cheat codes into a game for gimmick equipment. Always online/DRM? Every Ubisoft, Blizzard, and EA game requires it. While I was continue the good fight, I'm not holding my breath. That said, I'm more concerned ATM about Net Neutrality than I am about loot boxes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vankrys View Post

"the state of hawaii announces action to address predatory practices at electronic arts and other companies. We will prohibit the sale of these games to people who are underage, this will become the norm for every game. Gambling is prohibited under 21."
    woooo!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Always online/DRM? Every Ubisoft, Blizzard, and EA game requires it.
    This isn't even close to being true.

When it comes to the PC market you are correct that most of the games these company's release do have those requirment's. But when it comes to console the story is completely different.

There is a massive difference in Day 1 DLC and Lootbox's that is gambling. Its now coming out that country's and states are stepping in to stop the sell of lootbox's to minor's.

This has a major impact because if these style of games are labled as gambling on a legal level many places like Gamestop will outright refuse to sell them. In many (If not all) states in order to sell a gambling product like the lottery you need a licence. Places like Gamestop,Amazon,Best Buy are not going to jump thought hoops to do this.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Deleted
    Wonderful news! May the shareholders sleep well at night.

10+ Year Old Account
    will the mods ban me if I post the ron paul gif or the M. Bison gif

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    A French senator has written a letter to France’s gambling regulators voicing his concerns regarding the prevalent trend of loot boxes and micro-transactions in gaming.
    The letter was addressed to the president of ARJEL, the French organization responsible for gambling regulations
    http://www.cgmagonline.com/2017/11/2...-transactions/

Dutch website NU.nl has reported that authorities in Netherlands are now investigating whether video games with loot boxes can be considered games of chance.
    Read more at http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...6QCYYU0og86.99

Domino's effect?

10+ Year Old Account
    I cant wait for the prettygoodgaming and Jim Sterling videos tomorrow.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2017-11-22 at 02:40 AM.

Domino's effect?
    Yep, EA shook the cage too hard and this is the outcome of it.