10+ Year Old Account

Analyst who says Gamers are "overreacting" works for EA and Comcast

Well the price part about games make sense if they feel they need dlc to provide extra money for them they should just put.the dlc.into base game and raise.it another 20. Problem is some wont buy a game for.80. Hell i know people who dont want to pay 60 or even 40.

Hmm... Really makes you think. </Bart Simpson>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ali725 View Post
    Well the price part about games make sense if they feel they need dlc to provide extra money for them they should just put.the dlc.into base game and raise.it another 20. Problem is some wont buy a game for.80. Hell i know people who dont want to pay 60 or even 40.
    We would need realistic figures. Publishers go all out on advertising, Destiny's budget was bloated beyond comprehension because of it. We also got devs who focus on dumb details like as Jim Sterling put it, "I never asked for a horse that shits realistically in MGSV or for every strand of Laura Crofts hair to be animated in Tomb raider"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    We would need realistic figures. Publishers go all out on advertising, Destiny's budget was bloated beyond comprehension because of it. We also got devs who focus on dumb details like as Jim Sterling put it, "I never asked for a horse that shits realistically in MGSV or for every strand of Laura Crofts hair to be animated in Tomb raider"
    The shit detail is pretty hillarious, gotta feel bad for those devs that worked on it >.>

I can understand Lara Croft's hair being very detailed, I guess there's some nuance in what should happen. I guess what I want is, make it at least like it's high quality that we expect now a days. Also I still wonder what goes into marketing a video game.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind a gamergate 2. First one died out too soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    The shit detail is pretty hillarious, gotta feel bad for those devs that worked on it >.>

I can understand Lara Croft's hair being very detailed, I guess there's some nuance in what should happen. I guess what I want is, make it at least like it's high quality that we expect now a days. Also I still wonder what goes into marketing a video game.
    Look at Destiny. We get celebrities, sports game commercials, giant billboards, etc. Constant advertisement, constant money spent. I mean it works, but its expensive, and more cost effective measures like a larger focus on viral marketing could do wonders for a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I wouldn't mind a gamergate 2. First one died out too soon.
    Problem is there's no story here. "Wall Street crony is fine with corrupt practices for the sake of more money. In other news, water is wet."

GG was about ethics in journalism, something that used to be held to a standard. Wall Street has never had an ethical standard except in the movies.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Corporate conglomerate looking to pull a fast one on consumers with hired puppet, hoping no-one would notice or bother looking behind the curtain of their theatrics.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    Problem is there's no story here. "Wall Street crony is fine with corrupt practices for the sake of more money. In other news, water is wet."

GG was about ethics in journalism, something that used to be held to a standard. Wall Street has never had an ethical standard except in the movies.
    Well he's being unethical while writing about games. Just putting 2 and 2 together here.

It's amazing that in 2017 EA hasn't figured out yet is there is a way to have your cake without fucking your customers at every turn and pissing them off. It's getting to the point that I'm starting to actively avoid games that I know I would enjoy just to avoid EA and their idiocy.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Look at Destiny. We get celebrities, sports game commercials, giant billboards, etc. Constant advertisement, constant money spent. I mean it works, but its expensive, and more cost effective measures like a larger focus on viral marketing could do wonders for a budget.
    See some of those things I don't think are necessary but sound like typical EA/Activision like stuff.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Well he's being unethical while writing about games. Just putting 2 and 2 together here.
    True, but he's not actually a journalist so there's nothing to hold him to. His little article then got spread by the MSM but we already know they're in the pocket of big corporations like EA so no surprise there. Plus, they love their 'gamers are entitled brats' moments, even if they have to misrepresent the facts to make those stories happen.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    True, but he's not actually a journalist so there's nothing to hold him to. His little article then got spread by the MSM but we already know they're in the pocket of big corporations like EA so no surprise there. Plus, they love their 'gamers are entitled brats' moments, even if they have to misrepresent the facts to make those stories happen.
    It's ok cause gamers are dead now so the normie non gamer audience are the ones over reacting.

10+ Year Old Account
    See some of those things I don't think are necessary but sound like typical EA/Activision like stuff.
    It's not.. I mean, look at HUGE games that are going to have a huge player base no matter what.
    They didn't *have* to spend "5mill." in advertising to get say, 67% of the market base to buy their product. Most would have already bought said product, without even seeing a commercial, just know it's coming.

Then they spend whatever money on Ads, and then try to justify that by sayin, "Oh, well we got 100K more people to buy our product!" Not really fathoming that, if they hadn't spent that Ad money, they still would have got 80% of "buyers" anyhow.

A good example? Look at EA and Sims 4... Sims 4, compared to Sims 3 in terms of content, is like Sims 1.
    They advertized the HELL out of #4. But it sucks. Less content, more chopped up content packaged as "game-packs" or DLC.
    Which they charge MORE for than if it was a Sims 3 "pack" or "expack", AND comes with LESS content.

In terms of Sims 4, we're over-charged for LESS effort and content.
    Last edited by Violent; 2017-11-22 at 12:28 AM.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    It's not.. I mean, look at HUGE games that are going to have a huge player base no matter what.
    They didn't *have* to spend "5mill." in advertising to get say, 67% of the market base to buy their product. Most would have already bought said product, without even seeing a commercial, just know it's coming.

Then they spend whatever money on Ads, and then try to justify that by sayin, "Oh, well we got 100K more people to buy our product!" Not really fathoming that, if they hadn't spent that Ad money, they still would have got 80% of "buyers" anyhow.

A good example? Look at EA and Sims 4... Sims 4, compared to Sims 3 in terms of content, is like Sims 1.
    They advertized the HELL out of #4. But it sucks. Less content, more chopped up content packaged as "game-packs" or DLC.
    Which they charge MORE for than if it was a Sims 3 "pack" or "expack", AND comes with LESS content.

In terms of Sims 4, we're over-charged for LESS effort and content.
    Its the result of a compound problem. We logically know that big games dont need big marketing. Question then is "well why are we employing all these none developer roles?" which begins a snowball effect on bloated companies like EA or Activision that rocks too many boats. So people keep their job secure by keeping the trend going and letting the inevitable crash be someone elses problem in future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Its the result of a compound problem. We logically know that big games dont need big marketing. Question then is "well why are we employing all these none developer roles?" which begins a snowball effect on bloated companies like EA or Activision that rocks too many boats. So people keep their job secure by keeping the trend going and letting the inevitable crash be someone elses problem in future.
    I still believe marketing has it's place when making a game but as Genn mentioned, the 5 million for marketing is a tad absurd.

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    I still believe marketing has it's place when making a game but as Genn mentioned, the 5 million for marketing is a tad absurd.
    Its more than 5 million

https://venturebeat.com/2014/09/13/d...n-and-the-nfl/

Its over 5 million for specific ad times.

It does but its a case of "why do we need 5 employees doing X instead of 2 or 3?" and that can quickly lead to risks of 'industry brain drain' where roles lack a replacement so they keep them in house because its better than competition having them on the payroll.

We've got multiple threads on the lockbox/Battlefront 2 issues right now, we don't need even more. Especially calling out individuals with incorrect information (being an analyst who covers companies at a firm doesn't mean that they work for those companies), we don't need to paint targets on people, thanks.