Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Can i say something? Here in chile we have Net Neutrality as law.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    You voted for this.

It is time to learn that voting has consequences.
    Hey now, the Big D got 3 million more votes. We didn't really vote for this shitshow.

So, couple questions:

1) What can we do now, at this point, to stop this insane chicken-shit vote from going the wrong way on Dec whatever?

2) If the vote does go through in December, can courts block this stupidity much like Dumbass Dump's other stupid brain-child ideas like punishing "sanctuary cities" and his muslim bans?

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    So, couple questions:

1) What can we do now, at this point, to stop this insane chicken-shit vote from going the wrong way on Dec whatever?

2) If the vote does go through in December, can courts block this stupidity much like Dumbass Dump's other stupid brain-child ideas like punishing "sanctuary cities" and his muslim bans?
    Honestly doesn't matter what people say Republicans have been wanting to nail this one for awhile so its gonna happen. As for the courts its rolling back a regulation so not directly. About the only thing I can see happening is if someone say Netflix starts getting throttled they might take the offending ISP to court and maybe get an injunction it but its honestly a losing fight at that point.

The best thing you can do right now is just literally harass your congressman. Congressman, believe it or not, do get rattled if people are non-stop calling them and maybe they can do something to help. Honestly this is one of those situations like someone said above elections have consequences. While its going to be a short term hurt maybe people will start realizing the current politic meta is terrible and when changes in policies starts effecting them personally maybe people will start voting for real change and not who trolls the other side the hardest.

This is one of those things I don't understand why both sides can't agree on. If this gets rolled back there is no rule saying someone like Soros can't go buy a controlling stake in as many telecoms as he can to push his liberal agenda by throttling sites like Brietbart and shutting down Stormfront.
    Last edited by akris15; 2017-11-22 at 05:16 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    The best thing you can do right now is just literally harass your congressman.
    Harassing Pai would be the better strategy, it's what people used against Tom Wheeler last time around when he considered gutting net neutrality.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Harassing Pai would be the better strategy, it's what people used against Tom Wheeler last time around when he considered gutting net neutrality.
    To be fair this normally would be the play but looking at the previous few weeks Pai seems dead set on this and nothing will change his mind. Wheeler showed that he actually could be swayed but Pai doesn't seem so.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    So, couple questions:

1)We can hassle our reps, that’s about it.

2) However if(when) passed, it will be probably litigated for many years, definitely through the next year, and possibly presidential election year, so people need to vote, basically.

Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    To be fair this normally would be the play but looking at the previous few weeks Pai seems dead set on this and nothing will change his mind. Wheeler showed that he actually could be swayed but Pai doesn't seem so.
    Well the man has a literal bullseye on his ass saying "property of Verizon stick dick in here" so there is literally nothing you can do to the man to change his mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pai is the definition of a corporate shill. He doesn't give 2 shits if this is a legal or ethical violation, once this passes the amount of money he gains from lobbying means he could easily retire.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

7+ Year Old Account
    There are two other Republican members of the FCC then, they should be the prime targets for this kind of strategy.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

10+ Year Old Account
    They're going to get what they want no matter what we do. On the plus side, if ISP's go full fat controller, we will see actual good ISPs pop up all around and they will be very successful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    They're going to get what they want no matter what we do. On the plus side, if ISP's go full fat controller, we will see actual good ISPs pop up all around and they will be very successful.
    Unless larger established ISPs stamp out the newcomers.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly doesn't matter what people say Republicans have been wanting to nail this one for awhile so its gonna happen. As for the courts its rolling back a regulation so not directly. About the only thing I can see happening is if someone say Netflix starts getting throttled they might take the offending ISP to court and maybe get an injunction it but its honestly a losing fight at that point.

The best thing you can do right now is just literally harass your congressman. Congressman, believe it or not, do get rattled if people are non-stop calling them and maybe they can do something to help. Honestly this is one of those situations like someone said above elections have consequences. While its going to be a short term hurt maybe people will start realizing the current politic meta is terrible and when changes in policies starts effecting them personally maybe people will start voting for real change and not who trolls the other side the hardest.

This is one of those things I don't understand why both sides can't agree on. If this gets rolled back there is no rule saying someone like Soros can't go buy a controlling stake in as many telecoms as he can to push his liberal agenda by throttling sites like Brietbart and shutting down Stormfront.
    The reason unity has cracked is because various people have called for hounding sites like Brietbart and Stormfront off the internet as is, and Google and others have talked about restricting access and trying to also drive those voices out. It is hard to stand in solidarity with someone who wants to strictly curate voices and use their massive financial and infrastructure clout to do roughly the same thing if at a slightly smaller scale.

BUT I wonder what stops States like California from enshrining net neutrality as state law?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    BUT I wonder what stops States like California from enshrining net neutrality as state law?
    Actually the second step of this is the FCC plans to go after any state that tries to enshrine net neutrality. The telecom companies don't want the same thing that happened with their privacy win which is stuck in courts and some states have repealed. This is probably going to result in a lot of court cases with the FCC fighting for telecom companies talk about insanity.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Actually the second step of this is the FCC plans to go after any state that tries to enshrine net neutrality. The telecom companies don't want the same thing that happened with their privacy win which is stuck in courts and some states have repealed. This is probably going to result in a lot of court cases with the FCC fighting for telecom companies talk about insanity.
    .... Well.... so much for States Rights. >.>

On another note, I do think messing with the way the internet is working is probably political suicide for whatever party decides to destroy Net Neutrality. It is so patently unpopular, so likely to cause a lot of disruptions in peoples lives and finances and likely to damage the economy and it isn't even for some high minded principle, its purely for the power and enrichment of the ISP's.

I could perhaps understand if there was some genuine heartfelt principle at stake here, but really this is just purely lobbying gone wild.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

On another note, I do think messing with the way the internet is working is probably political suicide for whatever party decides to destroy Net Neutrality. It is so patently unpopular, so likely to cause a lot of disruptions in peoples lives and finances and likely to damage the economy and it isn't even for some high minded principle, its purely for the power and enrichment of the ISP's.

I could perhaps understand if there was some genuine heartfelt principle at stake here, but really this is just purely lobbying gone wild.
    They will probably start slowly hoping the news cycle buries this story but this is pretty much about survival. The internet is killing traditional cable and television, the telecom companies look at netflix and youtube and they want that money. This change by the FCC makes it so that they can squeeze their customers for all their worth and pimp their horrid streaming services at the same time.

But you have to look at it that way they have the Trump administration on their side fighting for them, they probably figure there is nothing regular people can do to fight back.

Please, we all know they only care about states' rights so far as they can be used to further their own agenda. Just look at how many states have "legalized" marijuana, and how Jeff Sessions refuses to budge. Or more recently, when states like California started indicating that they would be looking into free statewide healthcare under the assumption that the ACA would be scrapped, and the Republicans tried to pass legislation prohibiting them from doing so.

10+ Year Old Account

If there is one thing everybody except politicians know, it's to never EVER piss off the internet.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    They will probably start slowly hoping the news cycle buries this story but this is pretty much about survival. The internet is killing traditional cable and television, the telecom companies look at netflix and youtube and they want that money. This change by the FCC makes it so that they can squeeze their customers for all their worth and pimp their horrid streaming services at the same time.

But you have to look at it that way they have the Trump administration on their side fighting for them, they probably figure there is nothing regular people can do to fight back.
    True. I cut the cord so to speak a decade ago. I get that old media is dying and is struggling to stay alive. But it does seem short term. This policy is so monumentally bad that I cannot see it not devastating the economy one way or another.

People will also notice an already overpriced service getting worse AND costing more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Please, we all know they only care about states' rights so far as they can be used to further their own agenda. Just look at how many states have "legalized" marijuana, and how Jeff Sessions refuses to budge. Or more recently, when states like California started indicating that they would be looking into free statewide healthcare under the assumption that the ACA would be scrapped, and the Republicans tried to pass legislation prohibiting them from doing so.
    Most political parties are hypocritical in the end.

True. I cut the cord so to speak a decade ago. I get that old media is dying and is struggling to stay alive. But it does seem short term. This policy is so monumentally bad that I cannot see it not devastating the economy one way or another.

People will also notice an already overpriced service getting worse AND costing more.

- - - Updated - - -

Most political parties are hypocritical in the end.
    I guess we will see which is strong bipartisan anger from the people or the deep pockets of the telecom companies. I think a lot of congress people are about to get really large checks to make sure this stays, the telecom companies stand to make billions from this. They can go back to the good old days of charging everyone $150-$200/month one way or another.