Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    A stain one might not notice considering the full scope of two centuries to compare it to.
    Are you one of those people that feels guilt for something that someone you do not know did 200 years ago?

You should be learning from Americas mistakes and not dwelling on them just to be a contrarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Are you one of those people that feels guilt for something that someone you do not know did 200 years ago?

You should be learning from Americas mistakes and not dwelling on them just to be a contrarian.
    No, they don't. It's just a convenient factoid to fuel their contrarianism.

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post

He's doing neither.

He's one of those who likes to point out "whataboutisms" to distract from himself being wrong. I remember him previously durring the Obama days saying that Democrats are the party of racists because of what they were prior to Kennedy as an attempt to side-track discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Has Trump enslaved an entire population nor articulated a policy of active genocide? I mean are you aware what America did to the indigenous inhabitants?
    Are you aware that this is tangential to the point? Yes, I'm aware of American History. I also know that Trump will make it into those history books, because we don't write history by saying "well this event was worse, so let's just omit everything less bad that happened after."

The reality that Trump supporters must come to terms with is that Trump will be remembered, and he will not be remembered well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Are you aware that this is tangential to the point? Yes, I'm aware of American History. I also know that Trump will make it into those history books, because we don't write history by saying "well this event was worse, so let's just omit everything less bad that happened after."

The reality that Trump supporters must come to terms with is that Trump will be remembered, and he will not be remembered well.
    The irony is, actually we are getting to the point where "Trump is articulating a policy of active genocide" in regards to North Korea. Everything he's been suggesting is nothing short of Genocide of all North Koreans (farmers, children, everyone) instead of strategic military strikes against the military.

Again, it needs to be pointed out that Dumbass Dump's reign of stupid isn't over yet. There's still a TON more damage that fukwit can do...and probably WILL do... before he goes. Besides NK - chances are he will call on his Dumpsters to rise up against their fellow Americans if/when he gets arrested for the crimes in the Russia Investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    He'll be like Bush before him, the Americans are amazing at electing shit stains.
    Actually Bush's approval has steadily risen since his presidency. He's in the bottom half, but nowhere near the worst. Obama will probably go somewhere below Clinton and Regan from a policy standpoint, middle of the pack really, but he was really high toward the end of his term. There is only one reason he will go that high, and it's not because of his groundbreaking economic/health plans. History has a way of sorting these things out, and usually the guy with the most genocide loses. As of right now, Trump is not a war monger president.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Actually Bush's approval has steadily risen since his presidency. He's in the bottom half, but nowhere near the worst. Obama will probably go somewhere below Clinton and Regan from a policy standpoint, middle of the pack really, but he was really high toward the end of his term. There is only one reason he will go that high, and it's not because of his groundbreaking economic/health plans. History has a way of sorting these things out, and usually the guy with the most genocide loses. As of right now, Trump is not a war monger president.
    Where are you seeing numbers that show Bush's approval was rising? I hear what you're saying, but I don't see anything backing it up. And yeah, people usually get more lenient after the President has left office, if they were unpopular - Nixon is a prime example.

Trump, however, might upturn that cart - as he has with everything else. We'll just have to wait and see. He also has a significant chance of being the first president jailed - which might detract from his post-presidency ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    For the people that voted for Trump, got fooled and now regret it, maybe next time they will look past the easy language of "It's all the Mexican's fault", and look at the systemic corporate greed in our country before selecting their candidate.
    It's funny you mention "systemic corporate greed in our country" which you really can't be against and win an election in the U.S. I mean, unless you don't need money for your campaign. The DNC spent 1 Billion dollars or their candidate, that's not mom and pop donating.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Where are you seeing numbers that show Bush's approval was rising? I hear what you're saying, but I don't see anything backing it up. And yeah, people usually get more lenient after the President has left office, if they were unpopular - Nixon is a prime example.

Trump, however, might upturn that cart - as he has with everything else. We'll just have to wait and see. He also has a significant chance of being the first president jailed - which might detract from his post-presidency ratings.
    Do you remember the 2008 election and how hated Bush was at the time? Things were super bad, but he kind of floated off into the landscape and people moved on. I don't think he is a genuinely hated person now, but here is the article: http://beta.latimes.com/nation/polit...120-story.html

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Do you remember the 2008 election and how hated Bush was at the time? Things were super bad, but he kind of floated off into the landscape and people moved on. I don't think he is a genuinely hated person now, but here is the article: http://beta.latimes.com/nation/polit...120-story.html
    Oh, I definitely remember Bush leaving and how awful he was perceived (and, to me, was). Thanks for the link from the LATimes - that's just what I meant. It will be very interesting to see how Trump is viewed after he's gone (whenever that will be).

He's certainly the first person in that office to be so blatantly unpresidential, in almost every capacity. But will people remember him for the idiot petulant narcissist that he is or will they build him after he's (imprisoned) gone? Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    it boggles my mind that republican voters still support him. Between his failed AcA repeal, His fucking awful (and that's putting it lightly) tax plan that only benifits him. To putting that verizon cocksucker pai in the FCC. I'd be ashamed to admit that I was a republican. If NPR is to be belived the russians have trump compermised. The senate and the house republicans are doing everything to get their asses kicked in 2018.
    "Between his failed AcA repeal"

I think everyone would agree that politics is rather divided in the U.S. at this point? It's not really easy to repeal laws in any environment, yet alone now. Hard to blame Trump totally for this.

"His fucking awful (and that's putting it lightly) tax plan that only benifits him."

Not quite true, a lot of people would like to have the tax break and benefit from it. Yes, some rich will also benefit because of the way brackets are set up, but it's a little deceiving saying it only helps the rich.

"The senate and the house republicans are doing everything to get their asses kicked in 2018."

And yet are still likely at this point to hold both House and Senate mathematically.

He is an authoritarian populist and history will condemn him for it, and many people who supported him will pretend they didn't. So yes, he will be a stain in American history.

But he will also be more than that.

There is a debate among experts as to whether America is still in the Fifth Party System that began with the New Deal in 1932, or if America is in the Sixth Party System, and if so, when the Sixth Party System began. Historians will, I believe, ultimately come to the conclusion that the Sixth Party System began when Jimmy Carter was elected President. They will also conclude that this era ended when Donald Trump, and Republicans, suffered a landslide defeat in 2020. The post-war economic consensus ended when Gerald Ford lost in 1976, that too marks the end of the Fifth Party System. The Sixth Party system began when the neoliberal economic consensus took it's place, which although primarily associated and attributed to Ronald Reagan, and rightly so, actually began with Jimmy Carter. The neoliberal economic consensus moved both parties to the right on economic issues (while the ascent of Ronald Reagan moved the Republican Party to the right also on social issues). Donald Trump is the last violent spasm and doubling-down of this misguided idea of trickle-down economics, and when he is soundly defeated in 2020 so will the neoliberal economic consensus come to an end that will have defined the Sixth Party System.

Not only will he mark the end of the Sixth Party System of the United States, he will also be the final destination of the realignment of the American political parties that began with the Civil Rights Act, Barry Goldwater and Nixon's Southern Strategy where the parties largely switched places as conservatives in the South gradually began to change their allegiance from the Democratic Party to the Republican Party. The symbolic representation of this will be Barack Obama's affinity for Abraham Lincoln, the founder of the Republican Party, and Donald Trump's apparent affinity for Andrew Jackson, the founder of the Democratic Party, and the affinity for Theodore Roosevelt, Republican President but also founder of the Progressive Party, which the Democratic President-elect of 2020 will proclaim. The next President will replace the portrait of Andrew Jackson that Donald Trump put up on his Oval Office wall with that of Theodore Roosevelt, as environmentalism and combating climate change and championing green technology and jobs will be a defining attribute of the Democratic President-elect of 2020. Thus will begin the Seventh Party System, which will be dominated by Democrats for decades until they get complacent and Republicans get their shit together and find their way back from Paleoconservatism to the traditional Republican ideology of Conservative liberalism. Then, for a time, America, a Republic based on the principles of Classical liberalism that all of the Liberal Democracies we know as the Free World rests upon, will return to a state where it is unique among the Nations of this Earth in that it has two major parties that both traces their ideological lineage to the principles of Classical liberalism through Modern/Progressive/Social liberalism and Conservative liberalism respectively.
    Last edited by Zarc; 2017-11-22 at 11:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Forever? Probably not, but people will not forget it anytime soon.

I know my opinion of American people dropped when they decided to elect Trump. Gullible, immoral fools. The results of his presidency have so far been as predicted; it has been a disaster after a disaster, with no end in sight.

Trump is seemingly unable to stop playing the schoolyard favorite; "stop hitting yourself".

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

I think everyone would agree that politics is rather divided in the U.S. at this point? It's not really easy to repeal laws in any environment, yet alone now. Hard to blame Trump totally for this.
    But it's his leadership that is at the helm - and saying that it's not him to blame only pins him as a horrible leader - not able to stand up and take the lead. Repealing laws is breathtakingly difficult in the U.S. . . . unless you control both sides of Congress and the White House. Wait a minute . . . his repeal efforts were so horrific he had his own party breaking ranks.

"His fucking awful (and that's putting it lightly) tax plan that only benifits him."

Not quite true, a lot of people would like to have the tax break and benefit from it. Yes, some rich will also benefit because of the way brackets are set up, but it's a little deceiving saying it only helps the rich.
    Every objective agency is labeling this a permanent tax hike for the rich, while the middle class lose significant benefits and a tax break with a sunset clause.

"The senate and the house republicans are doing everything to get their asses kicked in 2018."

And yet are still likely at this point to hold both House and Senate mathematically.
    Very true - poor timing will probably lead to them retaining national House and Senate. But local elections are another matter . . . .

I mean I guess we can't blame Trump in that he didn't actually do anything, he just told the House and Senate to fix it and then tried to take credit before it all failed anyway.

It's mostly the rich that benefit from it, and most of the benefits that actually help non-rich people expire in 7 years or something anyway so they can pretend it's relatively balanced and pass it on a simple majority.

Not only is he going to be a permanent stain on american history, you're going to have to burn that desk and chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Not only is he going to be a permanent stain on american history, you're going to have to burn that desk and chair.
    As opposed to permanently disinfecting the entire white house building?

Your scope seems rather limited there.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    There is a debate among experts as to whether America is still in the Fifth Party System that began with the New Deal in 1932, or if America is in the Sixth Party System, and if so, when the Sixth Party System began. Historians will, I believe, ultimately come to the conclusion that the Sixth Party System began when Jimmy Carter was elected President. They will also conclude that this era ended when Donald Trump, and Republicans, suffered a landslide defeat in 2020. The post-war economic consensus ended when Gerald Ford lost in 1976, that too marks the end of the Fifth Party System. The Sixth Party system began when the neoliberal economic consensus took it's place, which although primarily associated and attributed to Ronald Reagan, and rightly so, actually began with Jimmy Carter. The neoliberal economic consensus moved both parties to the right on economic issues (while the ascent of Ronald Reagan moved the Republican Party to the right also on social issues). Donald Trump is the last violent spasm and doubling-down of this misguided idea of trickle-down economics, and when he is soundly defeated in 2020 so will the neoliberal economic consensus come to an end that will have defined the Sixth Party System.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this as the beginning of the death of Neoliberalism.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    it boggles my mind that republican voters still support him.
    I suppose when you sell your soul to the devil the best course of action is to jump as hard into those flames as possible.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    As opposed to permanently disinfecting the entire white house building?

Your scope seems rather limited there.
    True enough. It might be time for White House 3.0