Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    There is one ray of hope even with this huge chasm most people universally hate ISPs, they are literally the most hated companies in America. On this board alone I have been agreeing with people that I basically disagree with on about everything. Of course there are people like oorlong but he's oorlong and people like him are a very tiny minority.
    I can agree, ISP's are on my list along with the Banks and the whole Military Industrial Complex.

I think largely the Trump crowd that is going along with gutting Net Neutrality is motivated by the sense that the Left Leaning defenders are on some level hypocrites about it. A point I've raised, that the optics of Twitter wanting a free and fair internet whilst also vowing to have a general purge of right wing political views by December is a bit of an odd juxtaposition and makes rallying a broad based consensus a lot harder. It is hard to get a read though how many genuine Oorlongs actually exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I can agree, ISP's are on my list along with the Banks and the whole Military Industrial Complex.

I think largely the Trump crowd that is going along with gutting Net Neutrality is motivated by the sense that the Left Leaning defenders are on some level hypocrites about it. A point I've raised, that the optics of Twitter wanting a free and fair internet whilst also vowing to have a general purge of right wing political views by December is a bit of an odd juxtaposition and makes rallying a broad based consensus a lot harder. It is hard to get a read though how many genuine Oorlongs actually exist.
    Even the Trump crowd disagree on things like banks, the healthcare and tax bill something like net neutrality will hit everyone regardless of political affiliation. They may not like the people saying it but they can understand this, net neutrality polls between 75-80% for both democrats and republicans. We can put the 20-25% to the Oorlongs of the world or something.

Even those hold outs I think they will sing a different song once the ISPs starts milking them.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Where-oh-where could Trump's supporters have gotten that idea? Why straight from the Twitter-spew of Dear Leader.

"Obama’s attack on the internet is another top down power grab. Net neutrality is the Fairness Doctrine. Will target conservative media."
    - Donald Trump 10:58 AM - 12 Nov 2014

Trump tied Net Neutrality to the Fairness Doctrine in his typical inability to comprehend anything more complex than a limerick, and now his cult will follow suit.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

If nobody posted this before https://imgur.com/gallery/nKZ2yeq

Thought it would be relevant to this.

10+ Year Old Account
    I emailed and called my Congressman

Not really sure what I can even do at this point. I feel pretty helpless

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    So essentially that 75 mbps is bullshit if they throttle netflix to 5 mbps. What would be the reason though? Does it cost them more to provide you 75 mbps to different areas?
    Two reasons

1. Netflix, etc. compete with Comcast etc.'s pay-per-view service. Why pay Comcast to watch a single movie once when Netflix offers unlimited viewing? So they seek to cripple Netflix so people pay for their service.

2. They simply want more money, so they set up a protection racket and extort money from Netflix, etc.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Net neutrality has the potential to directly impact people in the short term. People already hate Comcast, and companies are not immune from public pressure

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I'll admit...I try to keep my fledgling atom-sized ray of hope for American sanity on life-support. >_<
    Let me know when you want me to take it out back, shoot it, and bury it next to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Two reasons

1. Netflix, etc. compete with Comcast etc.'s pay-per-view service. Why pay Comcast to watch a single movie once when Netflix offers unlimited viewing? So they seek to cripple Netflix so people pay for their service.

2. They simply want more money, so they set up a protection racket and extort money from Netflix, etc.
    The first example would be a violation of anti trust law

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Nope, he would dismiss it as fake news and his supporters would keep on trucking. At this point if you haven't soured on Trump there's literally nothing he can do or say to change that.
    Medicare drawbacks would. If the tax plan goes through, the massive spike in the deficit will drastically impact medicare coverage based on 2010 measures to limit spending according to deficit increases.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Let me know when you want me to take it out back, shoot it, and bury it next to mine.
    Will do when the time comes! Current ETA is around this time next year, if its health doesn't turn around by then. ;P

10+ Year Old Account
    The first example would be a violation of anti trust law
    Which your federal government has cared so much about in the past few decades.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

People already hate Comcast, and companies are not immune from public pressure
    They are when they hold virtual monopolies because they provide an essential service in regions where there are often no alternatives.

This proposal/vote to repeal NN is just a idiotic stance to have. Once Republicans are out of the White House this will just be reversed.

That said, I hate the current narrative being pushed about WHY repealing it is BAD. The reasons given are nothing short of fearmongering and mostly blatant lies.

But when you are fighting multibillion dollar companies with lobbyists and shills at all level of our government, I guess you have to bring out the big guns to compete.

I donate to outlets that are Pro-NN and are doing a good job at it. Not these clickbait sites that make you fill out a copy/pasted generic response.

I hate that Pai is just ignorning all the comments against him, but I can understand what he is saying.. kind of. Most of the responses are automated. Both FOR and AGAINST NN. Since those people put ZERO effort into making a valid argument for or against, I have no issue disregarding those pre-filled out comments.

But to the people that wrote a literal book length email/letter (such as myself and a lot of my colleagues) to their representatives and to the FCC I feel completely betrayed. I put A LOT of thought into my arguments for keeping NN and regulating ISPs. For Pai to just ignore them because he disagrees with them should be a fire-able/jail-able offense..

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone is against the net neutruality just show them this image:
    http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...16/365/2ff.jpg

Much easier to understand, than just words.
    Or this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    If someone is against the net neutruality just show them this image:
    http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...16/365/2ff.jpg

Much easier to understand, than just words.
    Or this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality
    Yup- saw that image come accross my FB feed. Fits pretty well!

In fact, in case people are worried about bad links:

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    FCC explains why public support for net neutrality won’t stop repeal
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...et-neutrality/
    So, because people signed form letters they don't count? What the fuck?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    So, when is the mass uprising happening? Is this not why the 2nd amendment exists?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Oh this has to be the best part of that arstech article:

"Pai also was not swayed by the fact that ISPs themselves have told investors that the rules do not harm their network investments. That's significant because publicly traded companies are required by law to give investors accurate financial information, including a description of risk factors involved in investing in the company."

hahaha what a fucking joke this clown is.
    The FCC is a joke. It should be people voted in, not appointed by the President to do their bidding. Even when it was Democratic majority. The system is flawed and this is what we get as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Couldn't find a thread yet, so I figured it deserved some attention.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1DL21A

I don't think it needs a summary pasted, it's pretty much a planned vote between 3 Republican and 2 Democratic commissioners to scrap the 2015 Net Neutrality regulations.

My opinion is amongst the overwhelming majority against this move. Removing net neutrality that ensures equal Internet access does nothing for the consumers.
    Remember the fiscal conservative doctrine of the Republicans really mean that: "conservators get all the money".