Microsoft Does Not Want You To Use A Surge Protector With The Xbox One X

TLDW: In a tweet on Xbox's official twitter they stated they do not recommend you use a surge protector for your Xbox One X. The reason they gave is because the XBOX has a built in Surge protector.

.........Microsoft your drunk go home.

Please hook your system to a decent Surge protector and ignore this crap.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    okay
    /10 chars

This is reaching really hard to find a reason to make a negative MS thread...

If you want to plug it into a surge protector do so, who cares. Most people will out of habit as it's actually harder to plug shit directly into walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

TLDW: In a tweet on Xbox's official twitter they stated they do not recommend you use a surge protector for your Xbox One X. The reason they gave is because the XBOX has a built in Surge protector.

.........Microsoft your drunk go home.

Please hook your system to a decent Surge protector and ignore this crap.
    They have been recommending that you plug directly into the wall for since the original xbox one. This is nothing new.

At least have some dignity and wait for some worthy negative news before making a hate thread

I've been using Surge protectors for years because I have so much stuff hooked upto 1 or more TVs. If I get a One X I damn well won't be just plugging it into the wall.

I don't mean to sound rude but I don't think this is fair to critique MS for.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I've been using Surge protectors for years because I have so much stuff hooked upto 1 or more TVs. If I get a One X I damn well won't be just plugging it into the wall.

I don't mean to sound rude but I don't think this is fair to critique MS for.
    What op failed to also explain is that some surge protectors dont work becuase they limit the power to the sockets and sometimes are not enough for the xbox. My original xbox one wouldnt work on my power strip so it was plugged into the wall for its entire life. My One X works on this strip though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just curious what the tolerance and Joule rating is for their surge protector, because technically all PSUs have one, just you know, extremely low, and I mean reaaalllyyy low. Anyways, the reasoning behind it seems more geared towards people that use low capacity UPS than it seems surge protectors. Cause if you manage to not have 170-180W (outlets have 15-20A at 120V AC in NA at least) available from the wall to surge protector, turn off that mining machine or move it to a different outlet / circuit.

It really does not matter that much honestly.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2017-11-21 at 10:34 AM.

OK and if I did this and it inevitably gets FRIED will they cover a replacement? No? Then I'm sticking to using a good external protector. I live in Florida man....power surges are extremely frequent here....
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what i read it was because cheap $5 power strips were not supplying enough power just as Zeta said. I never use cheap ones and have ALWAYS had all my home theater and game systems on a higher end surge suppressor/power distro unit.
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

Just like buying octane 91 gas, you are wasting money to buy a surge protector.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Just like buying octane 91 gas, you are wasting money to buy a surge protector.
    With how many systems I have hooked into 1 tv I'd have to disagree.

The Mega Drive, SNES, Turbografx, PS1, N64, NES, Master System, CDi and 3DO all share the same tv thanks to splitters.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-11-23 at 06:24 PM.

With how many systems I have hooked into 1 tv and sockets I'd have to disagree.
    Same, I got 5 consoles and a computer hooked into one TV.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

With how many systems I have hooked into 1 tv and sockets I'd have to disagree.
    Pretty much, like I said earlier in this thread. It's not realistic to use walls in today's age at all. And you don't want a shit power strip that will underpower your electronics so of course everyone has a decent surge protector.

It's not even really about surge protection at this point as most devices(this isn't new to One X) have protection built in these days. It's just about the practicality of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Same, I got 5 consoles and a computer hooked into one TV.
    I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you use surge protectors and video switcher/splitters. It's a mess. And potentially dangerous.

If you are just using 1 or 2 systems on the TV then fair enough. Hell for like 4 systems you can use a basic 4 strip with the cheap surge protectors. Any more like I have then you want a decent one.

I don't use my PC with a TV though. It's in my living room with a monitor.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-11-23 at 06:30 PM.

With how many systems I have hooked into 1 tv I'd have to disagree.

The Mega Drive, SNES, Turbografx, PS1, N64, NES, Master System, CDi and 3DO all share the same tv thanks to splitters.
    Can I live at your house? You just need a neo geo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Pretty much, like I said earlier in this thread. It's not realistic to use walls in today's age at all. And you don't want a shit power strip that will underpower your electronics so of course everyone has a decent surge protector.

It's not even really about surge protection at this point as most devices(this isn't new to One X) have protection built in these days. It's just about the practicality of things.
    As I said walls are fine for 1 or two systems with a double adapter. However anything over 4 systems and I'd tell you to get a Surge Protector here in the UK.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    Can I live at your house? You just need a neo geo.
    Oh I have more than this. Neo Geo works but the controllers are dying so looking for new ones at the moment.

Most of my stuff is from flea markets in the UK and anything non UK is imported such as the Famicom.

Sadly being a collector has it's downsides. Almost got burgled a while ago. Thankfully chased them off.

Also last time someone stayed they decided to eat all my Curiously Cinnamon so NO!
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-11-23 at 06:33 PM.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you use surge protectors and video switcher/splitters.
    Oh I do 3 systems is on a splitter.

My Tv has a PS3,PS4,Wii-U,SNES Classic,PS2 and my computer hooked to it. The Wii-U will likely be unhooked soon and replaced with a Xbox One S and ill just play the Wii-U games via the pad.

When I built this PC 3 years ago I bought a decent surge protector.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-11-23 at 06:49 PM.