Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    No, you had a melee dps who could heal (in effect).
    I mean literally a melee healer (the original fantasy healer) that attacks the tank to heal the tank etc. The melee healer has no concept of mana.
    Imagine walking across the field to heal someone before they died.

Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    Not just that, but that type of healer would only be good at 2 things. Healing a tank and fucking up mechanics.
    It does nothing for the rest of the raid, because running around like a healdless chicken to heal ranged is a waste of space, and frankly, as a tank, I would not have it anywhere around me as most of the times having a boss obstructing my view is more than enough
    Can you imagine one of those healers on Guarm or Kil'jaden or something?
    "The tank needs healed up from fel claws"
    "On it!"
    *Meleehealer has died*
    *fel claws 100000000 overkill*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Imagine walking across the field to heal someone before they died.
    That sounds absolutely miserable lmao. Not even remotely functional. About as functional as that suggestion of a RANGED tank, a role that is supposed to keep the boss on them. Where you might need to move the boss quickly, or keep it in place for a while, or turn it. How would that even begin to work?

I don't really want to see anymore classes, not for quite a while at least. There's really not much left without it being too similar to one of the other several classes/specs we already have.
    My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today.

By Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Challenge View Post
    And thats the tinker.
    Stopped reading right there.

Thanks for laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by RotDog View Post
    That sounds absolutely miserable lmao. Not even remotely functional. About as functional as that suggestion of a RANGED tank, a role that is supposed to keep the boss on them. Where you might need to move the boss quickly, or keep it in place for a while, or turn it. How would that even begin to work?

I don't really want to see anymore classes, not for quite a while at least. There's really not much left without it being too similar to one of the other several classes/specs we already have.
    Check out Wildstar. That game has at least 1 ranged tank (or had it, when it was released, I haven't kept up with the game). I think it was one of the "mechromancer" (or whatever) specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    The two classes that have not yet appeared yet are:

* Melee Healer
    * Ranged Tank
    Ranged tanks already existed. Warlocks served this role with Searing Pain. Hunters could also do it with Distracting Shot.

>Looks at Thread
    >Sees Teriz comment
    >Shake OP violently

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!!

I don't think WoW ever needs to add another class. I don't think Demon Hunters should have ever been considered, much less added.

A bit curious looking through this thread - folks insisting tinkers are already in game who have a VASTLY different idea of tinkers from my understanding of the class. Others claiming specs to other prospective classes that, to me, seem very firmly in the tinker kit. It occurs to me - are we even on the same page when we talk about tinkers? I'd love to know other folks' views/definitions of a tinker class and its roles/specs.

With the caveat that I consider a tinker class unlikely (though I do feel it's the only class 'missing' from the game), here are the three main tinker archetypes, as I understand them, in the Warcraft universe.

Scrapper: Best represented by WC3 tinker and HotS Gazlowe. The off-kilter inventor with an electric knapsack, able to build death rays and automatons out of anything. Constantly fiddling, laying down pocket factories with streams of robogoblins, elaborate time bombs, or complex, controllable turrets.

Apothecary: Best represented by WC3 alchemist and certain Forsaken and Goblin NPCs in WoW. The crazed chemist, indiscriminately aiming to lay down fields of death and clouds of healing across the battlefield, or else dispensing unstable concoctions to poison, empower, or even transform herself and those around her.

Steam Warrior: Best represented by gnome and goblin NPCs in WoW like Mekkatorque, Gallywix. The little guy in the big steam suit, packed with enough fire power to obliterate enemies at range in a hail of rockets, but sturdy enough to wade through the melee, saws buzzing, knocking over foes, or else turbojumping to safety.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemical Ellis View Post
    A bit curious looking through this thread - folks insisting tinkers are already in game who have a VASTLY different idea of tinkers from my understanding of the class. Others claiming specs to other prospective classes that, to me, seem very firmly in the tinker kit. It occurs to me - are we even on the same page when we talk about tinkers? I'd love to know other folks' views/definitions of a tinker class and its roles/specs.

With the caveat that I consider a tinker class unlikely (though I do feel it's the only class 'missing' from the game), here are the three main tinker archetypes, as I understand them, in the Warcraft universe.

Scrapper: Best represented by WC3 tinker and HotS Gazlowe. The off-kilter inventor with an electric knapsack, able to build death rays and automatons out of anything. Constantly fiddling, laying down pocket factories with streams of robogoblins, elaborate time bombs, or complex, controllable turrets.

Apothecary: Best represented by WC3 alchemist and certain Forsaken and Goblin NPCs in WoW. The crazed chemist, indiscriminately aiming to lay down fields of death and clouds of healing across the battlefield, or else dispensing unstable concoctions to poison, empower, or even transform herself and those around her.

Steam Warrior: Best represented by gnome and goblin NPCs in WoW like Mekkatorque, Gallywix. The little guy in the big steam suit, packed with enough fire power to obliterate enemies at range in a hail of rockets, but sturdy enough to wade through the melee, saws buzzing, knocking over foes, or else turbojumping to safety.
    Nice ideas and I see the appeal, but I am not sure how this would work out. They already gutted 2 classes to make room for the DH class. They have given hunters mechanical pets. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemical Ellis View Post

That's a pretty good assessment of the Tinker class. I think the main thing that is prevalent in the concept is that the Gnome or Goblin is being assisted by a high level of technology. Gazlowe in HotS and the Tinker hero in WC3 are both assisted by what is essentially a robotic vehicle. If Blizzard brings this class into the game, my belief is that the major class theme is going to be based around a goblin or gnome riding in a "giant" robot. I believe they'll do that in order to further separate the concept from existing classes, and make it far different than the engineering profession.

If you look at how they've portrayed significant Goblins and Gnomes in the more recent expansions, you'll definitely notice an increase in association between those two races and piloting mechs;

Boss Mida standing in front of her personal shredder in Orgrimmar.
    Siegecrafter Blackfuse piloting a mech in SoO (according to lore Gnomes pilfered his technology afterwards).
    Various Goblins piloting Iron Shredders in Draenor during WoD.
    Mekkatorque piloting a mech in Broken Shore during Legion.
    Noggenfogger piloting a mech in Gadgetzhan during Legion invasions.
    Gazlowe piloting a mech in the Barrens during Legion invasions.
    Thermaplugg turning into Omegaplugg in Gnomeregan with new abilities.

With a mech-based class in place, I think Blizzard will go with a full hybrid class that can tank, heal and deal damage. Goblins and Gnomes only class, with both races getting their own type of mech that reflects their racial style; Goblins getting a redesigned shredder, and Gnomes getting a variation of Mekkatorque's mech. Further, these mechs would also act as class mounts, allowing Goblins and Gnomes to move faster, fly, and travel underwater when out of combat (think Druid forms). Maybe these mechs could even transform into different vehicles for travel mode? That would be a cool touch!

Specializations: Tank: melee based, with heavy use of tech-based ranged weaponry. I don't think its out of the question for Blizzard to implement a ranged tank, but if we're being honest, they're probably not going to bother with that, and they'll stick to what they know.

DPS: Probably looking at missiles, turrets, bombs, lasers, machine guns, flame throwers, etc. If I had to guess, this spec would be physical ranged.

Healing: Chemist-based, and would be the first healer in WoW to not use mana as a resource. I'd honestly like to see something combines the concept of the Goblin alchemist with a bit of Ana from Overwatch; Bio grenades or sprays that heal your allies, but also harms your enemies, potions/serums that increase your allies' stats or abilities (or your healing power), tranquilizers that put enemies to sleep so you can escape, robotic assistants that assist you in healing your group, etc. Maybe Blizzard could so far as to make it a DPS/Healing hybrid where you could decide to go full support, or full DPS based on the talents you choose.

Just a thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    Nice ideas and I see the appeal, but I am not sure how this would work out. They already gutted 2 classes to make room for the DH class. They have given hunters mechanical pets. :/
    As has been often stated, the gutted 2 classes for the DH because DH abilities and concepts were already present in existing classes.

The Tinker benefits because none of its WC3 abilities exist in any classes, so no gutting necessary.

Also I don't think a class based around mech piloting which doesn't use guns, bows, or pets would harm the Hunter class at all.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2017-11-24 at 10:29 AM.

People that especially don't know wtf they're talking about in here: Schwarzkopf. Jesus Christ dude wtf are you even talking about? Attacks you to heal you? That's not a fucking thing in fantasy games never was.

Deleted
    I don't like the idea of goblin/gnome only tinker. I understand those are the usual suspects, but I would atleast expand them to forsaken and dwarfs. Both have afinity with tech/alchemy and tbh I hated how they handled DH.

Deleted
    Honestly the balance is already a mess and way out of whack, just add as many classes as Blizzard can think of who cares, it will never be fair anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneOstrich View Post
    I don't like the idea of goblin/gnome only tinker. I understand those are the usual suspects, but I would atleast expand them to forsaken and dwarfs. Both have afinity with tech/alchemy and tbh I hated how they handled DH.
    I would prefer Dwarves and Orcs if they want to expand the class' racial options. Both have a history of mech piloting and/or working very closely with Goblins/Gnomes.

Also an Iron Horde looking mech would be pretty damn cool.

My only issue with bringing races in beyond Gnome and Goblin is that you could potentially lose some of the whacky nature of Gnome and Goblin tech, and thus some of its appeal.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2017-11-24 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    Hunter mechanical pets are limited to being shaped like animals. Robot dogs and scorpids and so on. It's a very specific type of robot referred to as a robeast in some circles. A Tinker's domain would be more traditional machines with a humanoid design, like shredders and harvest golems, or designs not seen in nature, like steam tanks and crawler mines. Hunters wouldn't have to lose what they have. Robeasts don't really fit the Tinker aesthetic.

Yeah not like they can modify or add to their own lore.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

*Don't say tinker, don't say tinker, don't say tinker*

Well, fuck.

Eh, I don't know, tinkers just don't appeal to me, but it could be the trauma from quests related to the world of goblin engineering, and it's just too "steampunk" or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

I mean literally a melee healer (the original fantasy healer) that attacks the tank to heal the tank etc. The melee healer has no concept of mana.
    This would actually be kinda ridiculus, imagine a guy in your Group, running around in circles in the group to punch them for healing.

Not to mention that his wont work with certain mechanics, that forces you to not stand in each others melee range.

* Ranged Tank
    Please elaborate on that Idea a bit more, as I cant see ANY way this could work. (Meaningfully)
    I Mean I can tank with only throwing Judgments as Paladin, but almost any Mob that needs tanking runs up to the Tank and punches him in the face.

On Topic, I could see a Working Tinker Class, it would be awesome. But also I dont really see the diversity in Races who would do such a Class.
    Gnomes, Goblins, and Dreanei are commonly associated with Engineering. And I think a Class would go deeper than simple Professions.
    (Like where you are in the First place a Dwarf Paladin, and second to that an Engineer) So from a Lore perspective I cant really see that.

But I disagree with you, blizzard can pull out almost any class, if they somehow fit into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Janaa View Post
    If you consider "Tinkerer" a class, then there's still dozens of classes available..
    Necromancer.
    Puppeteer.
    Bezerker/Mauler.
    Bard/Herald.
    Mesmer/Trickster.
    Lithe/Siren
    Land/plant Shaper.
    And lots more..
    Problem is: While Tinker is technically a class in WarCraft, (Mekkadrill is considered a Tinker afaik), none of the other classes you listed appeared at any time in Warcraft.

Correct me if I´m wrong though.

Came here expecting to see a tinker thread. Was not disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Challenge View Post
    And thats the tinker.
    And bards. And possibly many others. I remember certain people saying DHs couldn't be added in the game for X reasons... and today we have Demon Hunters.

The mechanical theme is something we dont have in a class yet, and tinkers could be worked to be tank, healer, and ranged/melee DPS to whatever the dev team wants.
    So can every single class. "If the dev team wants" they could add a tanking spec and a healing spec for mages.

The only argument against it is engineer as a professional
    A role-playing game is not comprised of just game mechanics, and lore be damned. Lore can be just as important (and arguably even more so), as game mechanics. And, lore-wise, there is no real difference between a tinker and an engineer. Both have the exact same skill set. "Yeah, but one is a class the other a profession!" Remember what I just wrote? Lore is important. "Yeah, but mages and enchanters--" No. Enchanters and mages are not the same thing. Enchanting is one of several schools of magic, which vary greatly among each other. That's like saying a pediatrician and a brain surgeon are the same thing and interchangeable. Engineering has no difference between its "schools" other than design flair. Both create and use the exact same nuts and bolts with the same basic rules. The only basic difference is that goblins seem to tend to put their faces on their designs and have a little less concern about safety hazards.